Start by marking “Women in the Peninsular War” as Want to Read:
Women in the Peninsular War

Women in the Peninsular War

4.4  ·  Rating details ·  5 Ratings  ·  4 Reviews
In the iconography of the Peninsular War of 1808–14, women are well represented—both as heroines, such as Agustina Zaragosa Domenech, and as victims, whether of starvation or of French brutality. In history, however, with its focus on high politics and military operations, they are invisible—a situation that Charles J. Esdaile seeks to address.

In Women in the Peninsular W
Published August 7th 2014 by University of Oklahoma Press

To ask other readers questions about Women in the Peninsular War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Women in the Peninsular War

Lynn Bryant
Sep 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have just finished reading this book properly for the first time, although I’ve dipped in and out of it for research for my novels for a while. Charles Esdaile has written an excellent account of the experiences of women of all nationalities and classes who found themselves caught up in the horror of the conflict in Portugal and Spain in the early nineteenth century.
This account looks at the situation of women from an economic and social point of view, both those trying to scrape a living in a
Nicky Penttila
Mar 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reference, history
One of the few books I've found that explores the status and actions of women in the Iberian campaign: wives, camp followers, nuns, gentry, poor folk, and more. Esdaile's general survey fills a huge hole in my history shelf; especially useful to see how the stories I know (Agustina Zaragosa) were shaped in the retelling, especially for political and cultural reasons.

Chapters include Matrons and Majas (the two top stereotypes); Baggages (camp followers, cantinieres, etc); Heroines (hard and soft
Judith
A semi-scholarly, semi-popular review of how women coped and fared while sharing life with the troops in the Peninsular War. When I say semi-, I do not denigrate, but do so to indicate that this book is not over-burdened with footnotes. It is well-grounded in memoires, diaries, etc. and good, solid history. Contents: Images; Matrons and Majas; Baggages (now I know where the phrase "old bag" comes from!); Heroines; Survivors; Virgins; Liberators; Epilogue. It provides a good over-view of the topi ...more
Pablo
Oct 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
An excellent and comprehensive analysis on the topic, covering many different angles. Heartily recommened for those doing research on the topic!
Jimmy Mannings