Start by marking “Contagious Disciple Making: Leading Others on a Journey of Discovery” as Want to Read:
Contagious Disciple Making: Leading Others on a Journey of Discovery

Contagious Disciple Making: Leading Others on a Journey of Discovery

It is hard to deny that today's world can seem downright hostile toward Christians. Some may look down at their iPhones when we mention God, motion for the check when we bring up church, or casually change the subject when we talk about prayer. In a world full of people whose indifference is greater than their desire to know Christ, how can we dream of growing the church?

Published December 23rd 2014 by Thomas Nelson (first published December 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Contagious Disciple Making, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Contagious Disciple Making

Start your review of Contagious Disciple Making: Leading Others on a Journey of Discovery
Bob
Jan 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian
The main idea of "contagious disciple making" is both simple to summarize and presents a real challenge to the contemporary church. It is to model and encourage trusting obedience to Christ as we discover his will in scripture, and to share these discoveries with others. This simple and compelling idea is a breath of fresh air for a Western church long on talk and short on obedience.

The authors (father and son) have been involved in church-planting movements throughout the world resulting in
Phil Whittall
Nov 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Contagious Disciple Making is a useful resource on the essentials of disciple making and provides good insight if you're looking into Disciple Making Movements (DMM) or Church Planting Movements (CPM).

The basic premise for disciple making goes something like this. Time is spent praying and listening to God about a neighbourhood which is followed up by seeking to meet observed needs in the community. Through serving and loving others, opportunities will arise to make connections with people and
Suzannah
Oct 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Extremely practical. Extremely challenging. Extremely helpful.
Cinnamon Dickens
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"Knowledge transfer is not disciple-making." Excellent book that would make for an excellent ongoing resource. This is not leaving my bookshelf. Both theoretical and practical, the book is divided in two parts.

Part 1 is "Mindset of a Disciple-Maker". It looks at the overall mission given to us by Christ, ways we are missing the mark and specifics like the difference between disciples and converts. Love this quote: "Jesus left eleven men, some of whom doubted, standing on a hilltop. Some were
Jonathan Brooker
Sep 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
If I could give 3.5 stars I would because 3 stars seems too stingy for all of the amazing sections and chapters which had me nodding along or even pausing to really complicate the incredible things that this father-son duo was delivering. However, 4 stars seems a bit too generous for what became an overwhelming amount of unnecessary lists throughout the book, and for the pretty noticeable drop off towards the last third of the book in clear, precise, and relevant information.

David Watson &
Sheila Conley
Nov 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book offers a new way of looking at dicipling and church planting at home and abroad. It is an easy but challenging book in that it will completely shift the way that the church and believers traditionally evangelize unbelievers. Contagious Disciple Making explains how to make discipleship simple. The way it is taught removes the burden from being the one with all of the answers and the charisma to gather a following to allowing the Holy Spirit to be the teacher and for groups to naturally ...more
Chris
May 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book provides some very thought provoking ideas. There are some weird aspects (women pastors and how one author portrays hearing from God), but the core premise of the book is a refreshing take on what has become a dull way of seeking to grow the church in America. Instead of trying to pull people out of their communities (or "silos") and into the church, the authors call us to transform the silo: make it Christian. The main keys are prayer, finding Persons of Peace, Discovery Groups, and ...more
Eric Wright
Jan 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Astonishingly good step-by-step description of how to shepherd disciples into those who foster movements within communities. Clear biblical guidance in how to cut through all the churchy, denominational distinctives to focus on the gospel in discovery groups that move attendees to trust the Holy Spirit of interpret Scripture and lead attendees to obey the Scripture. Finding persons of peace. Making disciples not converts. How to inspire discovery groups. Inspiring others to lead. What to study. ...more
Liz
May 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Seminary class reading. Very practical, structured approach to planting churches via creating disciples (the author would argue that by creating disciples, you ARE church planting). This book falls along the "leaders develop leaders" strategy of building movements by having a continual chain of mentors and mentees - that is, the mentor is always mentoring someone who is mentoring someone, and the information doesn't stagnate at any particular link in the chain. What is learned in mentoring is ...more
Trish
Jul 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian
My biggest takeaway from this book is the centrality of obedience. Obedience to God's commands is the foundation of a discipleship relationship and thus the growth of the church.

The book also presents an excellent and likely very effective way of reaching out with spiritual truth to people who would not set foot in a church.

Bottom line, I find this a must read.
Dennis Brock
Nov 19, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5 for me...btw when are we gonna be able to do 3.25/3.5/3.75 ratings?? It would definitely make goodreads cooler.
Good book really like it and used it as curriculum in a class I taught. But the book does have some issues which is why I give it 3.5 instead of 4.
Mark Evans
Sep 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Super insightful. Speaks well to how we can be faithful to the Great Commission and also be mindful but not swayed by culture. Relevant for those in any cultural context. Because he looks at broad principles and how they are applied. Very practical.
Johnny
May 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cpm-books
Enjoyed this quick read. I'm looking forward to reading it again together with a friend. The short chapters were very practical and biblical. The advice in the book was both encouraging and empowering. I highly recommend it to others.
Artrisha
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely Amazing

This book really opened up a lot about becoming a team and working to build up others to become DM and to catalyze a movement across the earth. Very encouraging and powerful message.
Ken Peters
May 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a companion book to a book called Miraculous Movements, and it spells out in detail the methodology used to spur on the movements described in that book. I found it incredibly practical, at times underlining nearly entire pages. My prayer is that I'll be able to put the principles of this book into practice so that I can have a small part to play in reaching people in my city for Jesus. I believe that anyone with a desire to do the same wherever they live would find this book a great ...more
Lauren Caldwell
Feb 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good foundation

This concept from the Bible is excellent. I greatly appreciate discipleship taken out of the western church ” box.” Well written and easy to read.
David L Lott
Jun 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book...

Great book, especially for anyone who has not been exposed to this type of teaching. Have already recommended it to several people in ministry.
Kate Smith
Sep 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
I found this book really helpful in reevaluating how I help people come to conclusions about their view of God and what God has called them to do. I like to tell people what to do a lot, but instead, maybe I need to start taking more of a step back and letting people figure it out for themselves by pointing them in the right direction of the Word of God. That way instead of people feeling dependent on me for answers, they are learning that they can go to the Lord's Word to get their answers.
Adam
Jan 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
An overall great and inspiring book on CPM/DMM methods. (Church Planting Movements or Disciple Making Movements.) We read this as a group and discussed every chapter and it was a valuable in the formation of our missions strategies here among an unreached people group. The authors do a pretty good job of breaking the principles into separate chapters, expouding fairly well on each one, and also making it mostly practical for people to implement in their own lives.

A few critiques I have are just
Julius
Jan 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
David Watson and Paul Watson have given us a useful guide for following Jesus into the world God loves with Good News in Contagious Disciple Making: Leading Others on a Journey of Discovery. It's filled with a very simple, yet proven with experience, method of developing disciples for Jesus Christ.

But the book avoids those pitfalls that usually come from Church Growth guides. There's no new method here, because Contagious Disciple Making is most certainly not a book about theory. It's
Tom Law
Dec 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Making disciples is at the heart of what we as Christians should be doing. The decline of Christianity in the West over the past fifty or so years would indicate that we have done this very poorly. Many denominations and churches think that if we work harder, giving more effort to what we are currently doing, we will be able to turn the tide. That has not proven to be true. Finally, we have a book which gives us a clear path to help us focus on the one priority which we should have – Make ...more
Sarah Hilkemann
Dec 28, 2014 rated it liked it
Unlike the other books on Church-Planting Movements (CPM) put out by City Team (Miraculous Movements and The Father Glorified), this one by David Watson and Paul Watson focuses more on the most common characteristics of a disciple-maker and the key elements involved in movements. The book is straight-forward and simple, and although it does not include as many examples as other books on this topic, the authors do point to several stories of their own work. If you have already read other books on ...more
Brandi Rennemeyer
Jan 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
“Lost people are mostly repulsed by religion but inexplicably drawn to spiritual men and women.” ~David Watson

This. Right. Here. Has me pondering deep and long about what my beliefs look like to my neighbors. I get it. Christian-ese and church-i-ness can get under my skin like nobody’s business. (And I am an avid church goer…). The world hungers for real faith, faith that breathes the same air in the church as outside the church. Faith that touches everyday life in the real world.

I went into
Marti Wade
Nov 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: missions
Covers similar ground as previous books in series. Fewer stories, more how-to. Assumes the reader wants to be involved. May not be enough to train him in these methods, which don't come naturally to us, but enough to understand how it works and why and to get someone started. I'll add additional notes when I prepare a more formal review for publication.
James Mayfield
Jul 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
There are thoughts and ideas in this book that everyone needs to interact with. Many of the ideas, I had a hard time with when I first heard about them (it might have been the communicator, sorry David Watson :-)) but as I walked away and thought more and attended more seminars I realized that this was how I could make the greatest impact for God's kingdom. Read it!
Carlyn Cole
Jan 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is good stuff. Now to implement...
Lauren
Oct 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book has some great, innovative ideas on how to disciple others and gives a lot of practical advice on how to carry this out. Easy to read and very inspiring!
Jack
Feb 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic!! Revolutionary view to Missions. Don't miss this if you have a heart for missions or reaching out to your world!! Totally revamping my outreach efforts and God is blessing!!!
Wes F
Mar 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Excellent & insight/practical handbook on what it means to be a disciple maker and how foundational that is toward seeing Disciple Making Movements (DMM) develop. I was especially challenged by their chapter on a disciple's prayer life and am seeking to implement some of those lessons into my own prayer life.
Adam Balshan
Apr 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: missiology
3.5 stars [Missiology]
Writing: 3.5 stars.
Watson and Watson rise above typical mediocrity, boldly and repeatedly making unambiguous assertions. (Vague claims are harder to oppose, or even analyze.) What is more, by the book's halfway-point, any had yet to be untrue, in my estimation. On the negative side, the book was not very linear.

Use: 3.25
Their missiological paradigm is a decent--though not excellent--one. This work appears to constitute the full paradigm to which Jerry Trousdale continually

• Miraculous Movements: How Hundreds of Thousands of Muslims Are Falling in Love with Jesus
  • The Father Glorified: True Stories of God's Power Through Ordinary People
  • The Rise and Fall of Movements: A Roadmap for Leaders
  • What Jesus Started: Joining the Movement, Changing the World
  • Letters to the Church
  • Visioneering: God's Blueprint for Developing and Maintaining Personal Vision
  • Passion & Purpose: Believing the Church Can Still Change the World
  • The Spirit of the Disciplines : Understanding How God Changes Lives
  • The Heavenly Man: The Remarkable True Story of Chinese Christian Brother Yun
  • Leading Change Without Losing It: Five Strategies That Can Revolutionize How You Lead Change When Facing Opposition
  • Life Together: The Classic Exploration of Christian Community
  • Power Healing
  • No God but One: Allah or Jesus?: A Former Muslim Investigates the Evidence for Islam and Christianity
  • It's Not What You Think: Why Christianity is About So Much More Than Going to Heaven When You Die
  • God's Smuggler
  • Present Perfect: Finding God in the Now
  • The Gospel Comes with a House Key
  • Ask That Mountain: The Story Of Parihaka
David Watson serves the global church through Cityteam Ministries as the VP for Global Disciple-Making. He is also actively involved in mentoring the next generation of Disciple-Making strategists. Since 1989, Watson has been involved with movements that have seen 100,000 churches started, and he has trained more than 30,000 leaders from 167 nations.
“Consistency. Absolute consistency is required if you want to impress God’s love and commands on your physical and spiritual children.” 0 likes
“Most people have no idea how to pray for you. If you want them to pray something more than, “Be with [fill in the blank] as she works with lost people in [fill in the blank],” then you need to teach them how to pray. Teaching them how to pray effectively is your responsibility.” 0 likes