Start by marking “Pocket History of the United States” as Want to Read:
Pocket History of the United States

Pocket History of the United States

"A Pocket History of the United States" traces the history of the nation that is, today, the oldest constitutional democracy in the world. Written by distinguished American historians, it has more than 2,000,000 copies in print worldwide and is one of the classic works in its field.
Published August 1st 1992 by Pocket Books (first published 1951)

Mehmet
Mar 04, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ABD Tarihi Araştırmaları, Tarih Okuru, Genel Okur
ABD Tarihini genel hatlarıyla ele alan kitapta, ABD tarihindeki en temel kavramları ve olayları kısa bilgilerle biraz da roman tarzında edebi bir anlatımla öğrenebilirsiniz.

Önsözünden anlaşıldığı üzere; tarafsızlık, bilimsellik ve ciddilik yönünde bir iddiası bulunmayan kitabın dipnotlama vs. de yapmaması tarih okumalarındaki soğuk üsluptan bıkanlara ilaç gibi gelebilir. Her ne kadar kapağında bir yerli tasviri olsa da kitap kolonileşmeyle başladığından yerlilerle ilgili bilgi çok azdır.

ABD tar
Batur
Jan 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Turkish version of this book was translated and commented by famous earlier Ottoman historian Halil Inalcik.
Kevin
May 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is one the best reading choices i've made in a long while. I had not read any American history since i was in high school, and i could not have cared less about it then (sorry H.S. teachers, it was not your fault). Re-reading history as a grown adult is a whole different experience. The relevance of persons, events and policies is much clearer after living the majority of your adult life interacting with the results and consequences of them. I have come up with a list of presidents i w ...more
Shawn Thrasher
Three months and hundreds of years later, I finished this pocket history of the United States. I literally found in a trash can. It was first published in 1942, and was renewed at various times since then; the edition I read is 1986, with Carter and Reagan getting scant coverage (although Carter's place in history already seemed to be firmly set in 1986). If you are looking for a modern history of the United States, this probably shouldn't be the book you pick up. What's interesting about this b ...more
Ali
Sep 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ever wonder how United States of America, came to what mighty world power it is now? Henry Steele Commager takes you to journey right from the birth of nation. From the very day the first person landed in the New World! The journey is full of surprises and encompasses Human Imagination along with feats of glory! How the deep rooted principles of Justice and Pursuit of Happiness came to be the essential part of the American Dream. What unites the people in USA and how they progressed to great hei ...more
Valentin
Nov 22, 2008 rated it really liked it
This is a great wrap up of the American History from 1776 to the 1960's. It gives you a brief summary of the events in the perspctive of a historian. It also shows you the different perspectives of the different sides of the conflicts. I reallly enjoyed the book for all of the information packed into such a samll looking book. I found it really practical to any student. I recommend this to any student.
Enes
Sep 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Bir film ile değil de, o akıcılıkta, ayrıntıları gözardı etmeden ve öykü okur gibi Amerika Tarihi öğrenilmek isteniyorsa, bu kitap pek uygun. uzun tasvirler ve subjektif değerlendirmeler sıkıcı olmaktan uzak. hatta bazen pek eğlenceli:)
Nilüfer Yaşarlar
Kitabın bütüncül bir şekilde ABD tarihini vermesi güzel ancak bazı bölümlerde fazlaca yanlı yorumların bulunması beni biraz rahatsız etti.
Mellanie C
Feb 26, 2017 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
James Stavola
Apr 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: james-stavola
US Pocket History: Colonial to Modern Times

A pocket History of the United States Revised Edition
Allan Nevins, Henry Commager, and Jeff Morris
The book is one of the most informative and educaitonal books I have ever read. The book features text from when the first settlers came to North America to Ronald Reagans Presidency and everything in between. Also at the end there is a list of biographies related to history. I love history and memorizing the presidents. I learned that Abe Lincoln was 6'
Mark Singer
Feb 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is a one volume history of the United States from the colonial period up through the 1980 Presidential elections as written by two distinguished mainstream historians. If you want a summation of American history in under 700 pages, then this is the book for you. Includes a sixteen page list of suggested books for further reading.
Rae
May 07, 2008 rated it liked it
Exactly as the title suggests, this is a very compact history of our great country. It would be a great resource for anyone taking a general American history course.
JD Carruthers
By Allan Nevins, Henry Steele Commager and Jeffrey Morris.
Ambrose Smith
Aug 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing
History of our great nation in paperback form. My copy is tattered and torn from wear and tear. A good reference book. Easy to tote around.
Stephen Christensen
Mar 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
A very good primer for anyone interested in the basics of US history
dead letter office
Apr 11, 2008 rated it liked it
i immediately forgot everything i learned from this book.
Mustafa Doğruoğlu
Jan 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
Halil İnalcık çevirisinden dolayı sanırım, yağ gibi aktı sayfalar. Bir gecede eritebileceğiniz güzel bir kitap
Anthony
Mar 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
One of my high school books. Alongside Bailey's 「The American Pageant,」this book played a major educational role throughout my undergraduate years. I wish I knew where I last placed it.
James
Jun 10, 2009 rated it liked it
After a couple of blatantly racist chapters--in which the authors are thankful for the fact that the "savages" are not very smart--this book picks up. In fact, I learned quite a bit.
martin eden
Oct 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, english
Super. Très complet. Je le recommande à tous les étudiants en anglais.
Engin Komşu
  • The Uses Of The Past: Profiles Of Former Societies
  • The Grounding of Modern Feminism
  • A History of Hand Knitting
  • Merlin
  • The Book of Heroic Failures: The Official Handbook of the Not Terribly Good Club of Great Britain
  • The Seven Sayings of the Saviour on the Cross
  • A Leap in the Dark: The Struggle to Create the American Republic
  • The Knight in History
  • Born for Liberty: A History of Women in America (Free Press)
  • 722 Miles: The Building of the Subways and How They Transformed New York
  • Tecumseh: A Life
  • A Primer of Freudian Psychology
  • The Universe and Dr. Einstein
  • The Arrogance of Power: The Secret World of Richard Nixon
  • The Anatomy of Revolution Revised and Expanded Edition
Henry Steele Commager was an American historian who helped define Modern liberalism in the United States for two generations through his 40 books and 700 essays and reviews.