Start by marking “Murder in Caney Fork” as Want to Read:
Murder in Caney Fork

Murder in Caney Fork

It's the trial of the century in a 1940's North Carolina town.
Murder and vigilante justice.
War hero and law student Wes Ross has to save his uncle-but hide the truth.
Taught to shoot in the rough logging camps of the North Carolina swamps, Wes Ross remembers his lessons well. Dodging hostile gunfire with dozens of other young Marines, he storms a remote Pacific island as
Published March 14th 2014 by Bell Bridge Books

To ask other readers questions about Murder in Caney Fork, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Murder in Caney Fork

Start your review of Murder in Caney Fork
Jeanie Loiacono
Mar 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Wally is a born story-teller who pulled me into the story from the first paragraph. Set in a time of great change, WWII, everyone is struggling with loss, survival and starting over. Coming home is never the same after living moment to moment, but Wes did not expect to have to take up arms and protect his family. Wally writes this to where your heart races and you go to bed unable to remove the characters from your mind. Bravo! I heard he has several others in the pipeline. I want more!
Sep 27, 2018 rated it liked it
I read this because it was recommended on an Avett Brothers group. Wally is their uncle apparently. It was good and I enjoyed it. It’s not typical of what I usually read, so it was nice to read something different for a change.
Evija
Sep 30, 2014 rated it it was ok
I liked the theme of the book. I loved the description of the book. But I was disappointed by the book. Maybe my expectations were just set too high because of the reviews and descripitons.
First pages were very good. I liked the slangy style used in the story. It was this choice of language, which pulled me closer to the characters. I could imagine their story, lifestyle and guess their education. The characters became alive because of that.
The book also was a page turner - I can't deny that. I
Rhonda Brigman
Aug 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Living in the N E GA/W NC mountains, I can certainly relate to these characters as if they were walking down the street in our small town. They come alive and realistically go about their days as you'd expect in a southern town in America. Wes, a wounded soldier coming home near the end of WWII, tries to settle back into his 'normal' environment on his return. Post war direction is needed and he chooses to become an apprentice in his uncle's law firm. Being part of a southern lawyer's cases ...more
Irene Adam
Oct 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I received this book as an ebook free from the author through LibraryThing in exchange for an honest review. This book was a very enjoyable read and the author is an excellent storyteller. The story takes place in a southern small town during W W II. Murder in Caney Fork is about a man sent home after being injured in W W II, a bully, rape, and vigilante justice. What intrigues me about this book as well as another book I recently completed is the recurring theme of a character involved in a ...more
Bill
Mar 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Jump on this one! Wally Avett's one of the best story tellers I have seen in a dog's age, and this novel, full of the down home stories I hope all of you heard at one time or another from your mom and dad, your grandparents or your uncles and aunts.

But this is also a love story, a mystery, and an ethical drama.
What do you do about a man who has killed and raped women and is still free, a nasty bully who threatens almost all he meets?

And if the law does nothing about him, do you take matters into
Patty Mccormick
Jun 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is an interesting tale of murder and justice in a small town. Everyone had a motive, but will the wrong person be prosecuted? Someone committed the murder, but who will pay? There are many ethical and religious dilemmas presented here.This is a short book and a quick read. While it is listed as a mystery and thriller, there is not much drama or mystery. The book is quite clear about who did what. The question is what will be the outcome of everyone’s actions. The story had satisfying ...more
Dee Smith
Sep 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Murder in Caney Fork by Wally Avett
Review by Dee Smith

Murder in Caney Fork is very well written and is one of those stories that you find yourself caught up in. It was a story on life in the south in the 40's and of a young man injured in the war, that returns home and tries to build a life in his home town. The dynamics of the relationships of the characters and the culture made for a very interesting and enjoyable book. This book has it all..from romance to murder to family loyalty.Wally
Marcie
Oct 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
I liked this book because Wally Avett keeps the readers interest from the first to the last page. You always want to see justice prevail and for the good guys to win and if it takes a little finesse to get it done, so be it. I must read for anyone who likes a good courtroom drama, family unity and small town America.
Tiffany
Nov 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Interesting read. A tale of murder and justice during the 1940s after soldier returns home from World War II. The book had a steady pace from the start to the middle; however it wrapped up very quickly at the end which I wasn't expecting, so I was surprised when my Kindle showed 'book completed'.
Tanya
Nov 21, 2014 rated it did not like it
This book went on about the war, a girl being raped, a big guy who'd done the rape, lawyers, and other stuff. But it never really had a good story line, it would wonder in other directions. Made southern people look slow. Not a book for me!
Sheena
Jul 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Yes, we bought this because it is written by the uncle of our beloved Avett Brothers! It is colloquial, for sure, but a very well-told story. I actually couldn't put it down. Nicole...you should definitely read it.
Angela Garfinkel
Dec 07, 2014 rated it did not like it
Didn't finish.
Celia Barry
Jul 10, 2015 rated it liked it
Not bad, not great.
Leanne Lewis
Mar 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! I came across it because the author is the uncle of my favourite band. Great writing and storyline was well developed. I liked the images of what the scenery would have been.
Lynne Beitler
Sep 29, 2014 rated it did not like it
I did not enjoy this book at all!
Jennifer Lowe
Apr 02, 2014 rated it liked it
kinda jumped all over in parts which was hard to follow. very simple story (no feelings, just what happened). many parts could've Bern expanded on instead of skimming the surface
Joe McGrath

I read this on a trans Atlantic plane trip, it was an easy read nothing overly complex in the plot and provided a good way to pass the time.
Jackie Stevens
I liked the book once I got into it. Disappointed with the ending.
Amanda garza
Aug 14, 2015
Brenda
Jan 18, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• A Murder in Mount Moriah (A Lindsay Harding Mystery, #1)
  • The Bone Yard (Body Farm, #6)
  • Nobody Waiting: A German Girl's WWII Story
  • Tali Nohkati
  • Without Mercy (Body Farm, #10)
  • The Other Girl
  • The Collector: A Navajo Nation Mystery
  • God in the Midst of Thorns: A Journey of Faith, Hope, Strength, and Justice
  • Indian Posse: A John Treehorn Mystery (Book 4)
  • Bone Cold (The Malones, #1)
  • Verona