Start by marking “Tales of Kalila and Dimna #1” as Want to Read:
Tales of Kalila and Dimna #1

Tales of Kalila and Dimna #1 (Kalila and Dimna #1)

4.12  ·  Rating details ·  195 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
Once upon a time a powerful young king called Dabschelim ruled over India. One day he came upon a hidden treasure from a long-dead king. With it was a letter addressed to him. How had the letter come to be there? And what did it mean?

To solve the mystery, Dabschelim summoned the wisest man in his kingdom, Dr Bidpai, to his side. And so began the tales of Kalila and Dimna.
Paperback, Fourth English, 288 pages
Published March 1st 2000 by Inner Traditions International (first published June 1st 1980)

To ask other readers questions about Tales of Kalila and Dimna #1, please sign up.

Ramsay Wood oder die Kunst, Freunde zu gewinnen = "Or the art of winning friends"
Ramsay Wood This Kindle edition of Kalila and Dimna Vol 1 - Fables of Friendship and Betrayal is in German:

Orsolya
Everyone is familiar with Aesop’s Fables or even Uncle Ramos. Yet, these tales aren’t the most famous and are actually based on already-existing fables: those of Bidpai. The Fables of Bidpai date back to 200 B.C. and are some of the most-translated stories known to man. Oddly, translations in English ceased in 1881. Ramsay Wood retells these fables for Western readers in, “Kalilia and Dimna: Selected Fables of Bidpai”.

The Fables of Bidpai have Eastern roots (many are formally recorded in Sanskir
Zanna
Jun 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When translating a work whose origins are obscure and dissipated, the usual problem of preserving the tone and timbre of the original is much lessened. Ramsay Wood has taken advantage of this agreeable situation to render the ancient and beloved tales of Dr Bidpai (“Kalila and Dimna”) in a light, informal, contemporary style accessible to young and delightful to all readers.

Warnings are built into the stories to remind us not to take them too literally, and the morals are often quite obscure or
Marsha
In the old-fashioned tradition of storytelling, “Kalila and Dimna” cloak sly morals in the trappings of children’s stories, with animals taking the place of their human counterparts. Aesop clearly based his fables on a lot of these stories (and one or two seem very familiar). While these tales do meander on, with some of the creatures stopping their own story to tell another, they always come back to the main point. Rich in local color and detail, their ethical lessons are easy to swallow and ye ...more
Yuuki Nakashima
I used to read Aesop's Fables again and again when I was a kid, but I didn't know that I still love fables now.
"Kalila and Dimna" has a lot of fables but it's not just an anthology. The characters are storytellers. This is one of my favorite points of this book.
All stories were entertaining and fun to read. When I was so busy that I didn't have enough time to read it, I was dying to pick up the book. I would make my younger brother read "Chitchat Turtle and the Geese" if he could understand Engl
Alison
Nov 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, persia
These books feel so very startingly modern. But not in that jarring, what-is-the-translator-trying-here way, but in the sense of feeling connected to some fundamentals of humanity through millennia. Much less atomised than the Aesops Fables derivatives I was familiar with, these characters argue and roll their metaphorical eyes at each other, battling for perspective and some kind of way to live life, using story to understand experience, more than as simple metaphor.
The stories are very nested:
Federica
May 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, fiabe
Prima de "Le mille e una notte", prima delle favole di Esopo e La Fontaine, c'erano le fiabe di Bidpai. Fiabe di tradizione orale le cui origini si perdono nel tempo, e la cui circolazione ha influenzato autori e testi oggi più famosi, come quelli citati, e di cui in passato son state fatte innumerevoli traduzioni.
Ma di che si tratta? Le storie sono a matrioska, come ne "Le mille e una notte": il dottor Bidpai, stanco della tirannia del re Dabschelim, si presenta a corte per aprirgli gli occhi,
Catdaga
Feb 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
¡INCREÍBLE!
Esta hermosa obra, me ha cambiado completamente, incluso el final me ha hecho ver las cosas de una manera que nunca antes había visto.
Se lo recomiendo a un público que le guste la filosofía, las fábulas, los cuentos y es capaz de soportar que las novelas tengan un ritmo lento.
10/10
Victoria Stormdal
I thought Kalila and Dimna was very well written and the fables were entertaining, yet rich in knowledge and abstract policy advising. However, the most fascinating feature of the book was in my opinion how the author narrates stories within stories. One fable takes you into another story, and sometimes that story takes you even deeper into another fable, until they are all told and the reader is drawn back into the original tale.

Wood's use of this very interesting literal tool keeps the reader
Mariana Farcas
Apr 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-stars
Kalila and Dimna is written in the great tradition of Arabians Nights and all the fables are well thought and give a great lesson about friendship and especially betrayal. This is a great book for middle school or high school and teaches kids what they can expect later in life so they will not get tricked by bad people. The illustrations are meaningful to the stories and I also liked the famous quotes at the edge of the page. Great book and a must read!
Michelle
Nov 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
These tales are told with a silver tongue.We hear many tales told and the morals are what we need sometimes more than anything else.This is the way people have learned all through the ages.Lullabys and stories pass on through generations so that hopefully we listen,process the knowledge and learn.Sometimes the hard way,but at least listen to the advice.Whether kings to peasant to animals, we are all the same when it comes to living as best we can.Told very nicely and the book had a great flow to ...more
Julie
Jul 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books
This book is absolutely delightful! A literary nesting doll was stories inside stories as much as 3 deep. The style took a little getting used to but it was really refreshing. It's a simple easy read but it is a well developed story with lots of depth and intelligence to it. I hope to get the rest of the series soon!
Margaret
Oct 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The classic book conveyed educative message through the fables that illustrate human attitudes and situations.
Pankaj Goyal
I won this book a couple of months back in a giveaway contest held at goodreads.com and thoroughly enjoyed reading it. The author wrote a personalized message in the book and also sent a beautiful card. Thanks to the author for both the beautiful card and a delightful message. However, before discussing the book, let us talk something about the Panchatantra.

Who does not know about the Panchatantra (five tantras or principles or techniques), a renowned collection of moral tales and stories? It i
Heelqueen
Dec 02, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
Won his book as part of the good read giveaways. The book itself is beautifully designed. The author wrote a personalised message to me and a little postcard which was a lovely touch.
The book itself was unlike anything I've ever read before. Ive never read a book of fables. This book is a book of fables each interconnected about animals and betrayal. It is very unique as not only is it told through many fables there is also a random quote on different pages and some illustrations too. Certainly
DubaiReader
Annoying.

I think, to enjoy this, you must first be a lover of fables and morality tales, which I do not claim to be. I read this book because it was chosen for our Arabic themed book group, and I found it very difficult to get into. I was endlessly frustrated by the stories within stories structure, whereby, rather than ending a tale, the narrator begins another, and another, sometimes up to five times - before winding back down again.

I realise that this is a translation from the original Sanskr
John Fredrickson
Jan 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, fantasy
This book contains tales within tales, involving people and animals. The stories are generally very simple and straightforward, but do highlight a myriad of patterns of deceit, envy, love, cooperation, and sometimes redemption. The stories are for the most part simple enough to be read to the young, but contain many lessons for the older. Definitely worth a re-read.
Asad
Jan 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cerita dalam cerita dalam cerita dalam cerita dalam cerita....
Struktur aneh dalam sastra klasik fabel Kalila dan Dimna.
Tapi ceritanya menarik, lucu, dan kadang 'buas'. Sebenarnya menceritakan diri kita sendiri sih
Filippo Sottile
Ramsay Wood, il curatore di questa edizione del Kalila e Dimna, ce l'ha messa tutta per avvelenare il testo, ma la linfa che scorre fra le fibre di queste storie, nonostante tutto, resta viva e abbondante.

La prefazione di Doris Lessing non ha alcun significato.
Rama Hiba
Jan 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I didn't know they were translating these stories!! I heard them from my grandmother when I was little
Joujou Askri
Nov 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i like so much the metaphors used on the characters, the morals at every story
it deserve the time i spent to read it
Kyla
Sep 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
J'ai bien aimé le livre! Ça me fait beaucoup penser aux fables que je lisais quand j'étais petite.
Jamie Clegg
Don't read this to your kids—not your typical book of fairytales. So enjoyable, really.
Indah Threez Lestari
685 - 2012
Rahmi Kasri
Aug 31, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
wisdom comes from the nature. Indeed, this is a very rich book :-)
Nayeli
Dec 22, 2013
Meidhita
Aug 22, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The Invention of World Religions: Or, How European Universalism Was Preserved in the Language of Pluralism
  • Ask the Beasts: Darwin and the God of Love
  • Gilgamesh the Hero
  • Overheard in New York: Conversations from the Streets, Stores, and Subways
  • The Charles Addams Mother Goose
  • Swedish Folk Tales
  • La Princesa Dragon/the Loathsome Dragon (Cuadrada)
Ramsay Wood was born in Texas in 1943 into a diplomat’s family and has lived in Vietnam, the Philippines, Scotland and France. He was a teenage apprentice in Saigon to the photographer Henri Huet. After dropping out from Harvard in 1964 he studied photography with Robert E Fulton III before becoming a freelance photojournalist in Britain, East Africa, and Pakistan.

In 1971 he founded Frame Up Ltd,
More about Ramsay Wood...

Kalila and Dimna (2 books)
  • Fables of Conflict and Intrigue (Kalila and Dimna, #2)
“I am the slave of what I have spoken, but the master of what I conceal.” 2 likes