Start by marking “The Remaining” as Want to Read:

(The Remaining #1)

Published September 1st 2014 by Tyndale House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about The Remaining, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Remaining

Start your review of The Remaining
Denise
Aug 28, 2014 rated it liked it
I just finished reading an exciting new release, The Remaining, by Travis Thrasher. The Remaining is the novelization of an upcoming movie of the same name. It's a category I enjoy - Christian horror/thriller, so I was very excited to read and review this book, and look forward to watching the movie as soon as it comes out! The premise of this book isn't groundbreaking - a group of six friends (Skylar, Lauren, Tommy, Allison, Jack, and Dan), preparing for the Dan and Skylar's wedding. After the ...more
Michelle Griep
Jan 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
One word: creepalicious. This is one book you will not want to read on a stormy dark night all alone in the house. This is a scare-your-pants-off kind of tale. Author Travis Thrasher knows how to take a reader to the edge of fright and then dangle him over the edge a bit, and as always, he does it with style.

The Remaining is an end of the world rapture story, but NOTHING like the Left Behind series. Think Stephen King meets Ted Dekker, then click it up a few notches. The story revolv
Yo Leo Ficción Cristiana
Jan 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015, inglés
description

RESEÑA COMPLETA EN ESPAÑOL

Great book by Travis Thrasher. It provides much more action and realism to the characters.
Daniel
Dec 20, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
I'm sure there's good Rapture fiction out there, but this isn't it.
Anna (Enchanted by YA)
***I received the eBook free as a review copy from the publisher through Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review***

I knew before I started this book that I would read it first before watching the movie, even though it was the reverse of what usually happens and was created as a movie first. I thought it would mean that they would be more similar but as it happens I couldn’t find the movie anywhere. I searched the internet high and low but nothing. Nada. Zilch. This is a disappointment because I can so
Kelly
Jan 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
First of all, though I stretched it out into a few weeks because of busyness, I actually read "The Remaining" in two sittings. It is engaging from the beginning with characters who are what you would expect from a film: great looking, fun loving, and seemingly having everything in the world to look forward to. They may be a little over-the-top perfect, but hey, it is a movie novelization, and EVERYONE is over the top in movies.

The story focuses on the viewpoints of several characters
Trinity Rose
Oct 10, 2014 rated it it was ok
I really, really didn’t like The Remaining by Travis Thrasher. In the first place the book didn’t really have a main theme or subject. It just seemed like everyone was running and being grossed out by everything that was happening. The events of the book were talking of the last days. Most of what is in the book is wrong in one way or another. It doesn’t follow the Biblical account as how things will be.
Don’t get me wrong I really love to read books about the end times and the things tha
Reeda Booke
This is supposed to be based on the book of Revelation and he does cover some of it, but the events happen here way faster than they do in the Bible. The rapture and trumpets are almost back to back and in one day, so definitely different than in the Bible. I get that you can only put so much into a book/movie that is only so long, but there was alot of things left out and it would be very confusing to someone that has never read the Bible. All in all, it was a horrifying look into some of the e ...more
Lyndon
Jun 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty good novelization (I'd not heard of the movie) - Thrasher's a solid writer. This end times story provides a slightly different take on the "Left Behind" apocalyptic genre (religious fiction). The characters are believable. And as they realize that they're living through scenes from the Book of Revelation, they respond in a variety of ways as I think most people might - with doubt, fear, anger, repentance, resistance, etc. Piques my interest enough to want to find the film online.
Lou
I think this story is great, but there's something that didn't convinced me so much: The narrative.

I felt like the author was watching and telling me the movie, and I couldn't connect with the story. That's pretty sad because I TOTALLY LOVE Travis Thrasher's writing style but unfortunately not with this one.
Tracy
Jun 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very easy read, slightly different Rapture take, made even me think if I was ready.
Linda
Nov 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
The closest thing I can liken this to is a very condensed version of the first 11 volumes of the Left Behind series, by LaHaye and Jenkins. You have the Rapture and the Tribulation; what's missing is the Antichrist, the Beast, and the Second Coming of Christ. Other than the extremely accelerated timeline, however, I cannot fault the author's theology. He makes it clear why "The Remaining" are left on Earth, and what they can do to escape their fate.
Felicia
Imagine "The Mist" meets "Goosebumps" meets "Final Destination" and that's what you have here. It's a creepy story that didn't give me nightmares but that did make me think (about the Rapture that is). Beliefs aside, I think this book was well written. I didn't get attached to any of the characters, but that's probably a good thing anyways.
Matt
Jul 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Quick easy read. Went pretty much as expected. Looking forward to watching the movie.
C.J. Stunkard
Nov 11, 2014 rated it it was ok
PLEASE NOTE: I Received a copy of the graphic novel for review purposes.

Kingstone Media released The Remaining last month to coincide with the theatrical debut of the film of the same name. From what I gathered in the book’s credits, the Kingstone team completed the comic as an adaptation of the original screenplay by Casey La Scala rather than the film version, which La Scala also co-directed. Since I cannot speak to the original screenplay nor the movie, I will review the book on i
Josh Olds
Nov 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
QUICK HIT – In this apocalyptic thriller based on the upcoming movie, Travis Thrasher weaves a tale of longtime friends, suppressed hopes, secret loves, and troubled faith.

Quick. Name an upcoming movie based on one interpretation of the biblical End Times.

If you said Left Behind, well…you’d be right. But it’s not the only one. In September, Sony Affirm will be releasing The Remaining, an apocalyptic thriller that takes a bit more of a character-driven and condensed approa
Meagan Myhren-bennett
Novelization by Travis Thrasher

The Remaining is a story that you don't want to read right before bed. If you do be prepared to stay up through the night because this is the type of book that will keep you up.

One year ago Lauren started having visions, visions that ended in pain and hurting. And the pain was being felt by her best friends. And on the day of Dan and Skylar's wedding Lauren's nightmares come true...

Tragedy strikes shortly after
Samantha
The reason for three stars on this book, even though I thought it was great, is because of how the writing is and how the chapters are divided up. It just kind of threw me off and kept me from giving it my full attention. I still wanted to finish the book because I was interested in how this book describes what happens after the Rapture versus how Left Behind describes it.

This book is intense and gives an idea of what the book of Revelation is actually going for. Now don’t get me wro
Mark
Sep 05, 2014 rated it liked it
I have read several Travis Thrasher books, and his books are usually really different from the average Christian fiction book. He is an excellent writer, but some of his stuff is just..... weird. And this book falls into that category.

I have also read several fiction books about the Rapture, but this book is totally different from any that I have read. Instead of Christians disappearing, their souls were taken, leaving them quite dead. I guess that is a possibility, but it doesn't s
Bethany Phillips
May 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book was so good and I had a hard time putting this book down. It was fast paced and so action packed.

This is about a group of 6 friends that go to a wedding for 2 of the 6. It seems like your typical wedding and having fun when everything changes when people start to die for seemingly no reason. They have to know figure out what in the world is going on and why these people are dying and what is it that is killing them before they are the next ones to die. could it be that the world is co
Rachel Porter
This book was read on my kindle. I can not remember whether it was a paid for or not book.

The short blurb about this book reveals that it is a novelisation of a film. Here in the UK the film has not reached us - but I'll be keeping an eye out.

The theme of the book is a biblical end of days event; a different take on other stories that I have come across. In its rhythm and setup it seems quite parallel to the movie Cloverfield.
I enjoyed the way the story unfolded, and I think more could have
Melissa
Aug 27, 2014 rated it liked it
Soon to be a movie, this novelization is another perspective on the End Times. It is easy to read, fast-paced and easy to visualize, yet it lacks the depth and true Bible perspective that other fiction books in this genre have provided in the past. As an exciting, cautionary tale, this is definitely a great choice, but it will likely just seem strange to non-Christians.
A group of college friends, together to celebrate the wedding. As soon as the reception dancing begins, large numbers of p
Karen & Gerard
The Remaining: After the Rapture, There are Fates Worse Than Death by Travis Thrasher is a thriller. The first part of the book sets the scene--a picture perfect day with an outside wedding that goes according to plan, but . . . then a trumpet sounds, the sky goes black and people begin to die. Is it the rapture as predicted in the Bible or something else? Soon only a few members of the wedding party are left. Will they find a way out? Do they have long kept secrets to tell before the world ends ...more
JoJo Sutis
Sep 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I love apocalyptic fiction and The Remaining is one of the most riveting I’ve read in this genre in a while!
I enjoyed getting to know the characters. At first the story jumps around a bit, introducing them little by little, but they are old friends coming together for a wedding that will take a very unexpected turn.

This book is dark and scary….more so than the ever popular Left Behind series, but in all honesty this time will be a very dark and scary time for many.

F
Kim Brown
Feb 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You Must Read This Book!!

"If you knew the world was about to end, what would you say? Or maybe the question should really be, if this world was going to end, whom would you tell?"

This book is Biblical fiction at it's best. A story about the Rapture that is a vivid and shocking reminder that the Lord is soon to come.

In a nutshell, just after a young couple says their vows, the earth shakes, and some people die suddenly and are taken away. The rest of their wed
A.G. Porter
Sep 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was a fantastic and creepy read about the end of days. The art work was well done and the writing was great. Even though it was a horror version of the Rapture, it still drove home the fact that without salvation we will be separated from God for eternity. The only reason I gave it a 4 star review was because I believe it had potential to be more of a drawn out series. It seemed to be a bit rushed. There could have been several more issues that would allow more character development. It wou ...more
Patrick Cox
Feb 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a really good book. Great characters and the stories behind each one. A group of friends gather for one special event and then it all falls apart when the Rapture happens. We follow them through the end of the world and the tribulations. The author had a different take on the rapture where the bodies stay and the souls are raptured. Overall a great book that I could not put down.
Gordon Ehler
This book should be labeling a YA read. It is a novelization of a film about the end times and takes a different approach (or liberties, depending on your view) of the subject. Superficial characters. Nothing captured my emotion or interest.
David Atkins
Sep 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Good book about the Rapture. Interesting in that it is from a more personal viewpoint and doesn't get into great detail about the Middle East and all of the prophecies of Revelation like the Jerry B. Jenkins and Tim LaHaye collaboration with the Left Behind series. A worthy read.
Fran
3.5/4 stars

Now this was one thriller/horror of a book, confusing because it was Christian, yet gory.

A view of the Rapture and what happens to those left behind.

It sure made me think, made me want to see how it ended but there was no feel good whatsoever.

• Silas Marner
  • Martyr of the Catacombs: A Tale of Ancient Rome
  • Through Flood and Flame
  • El evangelio según Jesucristo
  • The Last Christian Generation
  • Radical: Taking Back Your Faith from the American Dream
  • Out of the Silent Planet (The Space Trilogy, #1)
  • By Hook or By Rook (London League #4)
  • The Western Justice Trilogy
  • The Fall of Five (Lorien Legacies, #4)
  • The Revenge of Seven (Lorien Legacies, #5)
  • The Fate of Ten (Lorien Legacies, #6)
  • The Rise of Nine (Lorien Legacies, #3)
Bestselling author Travis Thrasher has written over 50 books, spanning genres in fiction, nonfiction and children’s literature. His inspirational stories have included collaborations with filmmakers, musicians, athletes, celebrities and pastors.

With the childhood goal of pursuing a writing career starting in third grade, Thrasher worked for 13 years at Tyndale House Publishers after graduating co
“If you knew the world was about to end, what would you say? Or maybe the question should be, if this world was going to end, whom would you tell?” 3 likes
“A dark world only makes the brighter moments shine that much more.” 3 likes