Start by marking “Sweet Water” as Want to Read:
Sweet Water

Sweet Water

Cassie Simon is a struggling artist living in New York City. When she receives a call from a magistrate telling her she has inherited sixty acres of land in Sweetwater, Tennessee, from her grandfather, whom she never knew, she takes it as a sign: it's time for a change. She moves to the small Southern town where her mother, Ellen, grew up--and where she died tragically whe ...more
Published July 1st 2014 by William Morrow Paperbacks (first published May 1st 1993)

Kelly
Apr 25, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
WHAT IN THE EVER-LOVING CRAP IS THIS.

I can't remember the last time I got this angry about a book without DNFing it. I couldn't DNF it, you see. The WTFery is all right at the very end. I can't really call it an end. This book doesn't end. It just stops. You think you might be easing into the denouement and you hit the page turn button and the next page is...a preview of the author's other book.

And screeching to a halt like that meant the author hadn't gotten me as a reader, yet, to buy into for
Shannon
Christy Martin Bullock
I would have given this a solid three stars if the author would have actually ended the book. Seriously. I kept thinking there was an issue with my Kindle copy and something didn't download.
Brenda
Cassandra Simon had been living and working with Adam for so long, her life felt stale; she was stuck in a rut and didn’t know what to do about it. Cassie was an artist – sculpting with clay was relaxing and gave her a sense of peace. New York had been her home for her whole life – living with her father after her mother had died when she was three years old was all she remembered; she didn’t know her mothers’ family at all…

When she discovered her grandfather – a man she had never known – had le
Connie D
This was a fascinating family mystery (with a somewhat slow start). At its core are the two narrators, the grandmother and a granddaughter, both grieving for the woman between them who had died 20 years before. In dying, the grandfather surprises everyone by bequeathing the old family homestead to his granddaughter; she further surprises everyone by accepting so she can get to know the family she's never known. Family and small town secrets nearly destroy all the characters, past and present, be ...more
☮Karen
Apr 18, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nook
This is the first book written by Kline, who wrote The Orphan Train. They're giving away the ebook version now, I think mainly to provide an intro to that other book in case you're one of the few yet to read it. Many typos and unintended bolding of random words were a bit distracting.

I felt the writing style was inconsistent, and it seemed the author wasn't sure what kind of book she wanted this to be. It is touted as a mystery, but the mystery wasn't that great, and it seemed a little Harlequin
Ali
Jul 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow, I've lucked out recently with good books. I hope that doesn't mean I'm due for some boring ones soon. This was excellent - so interesting and the suspense part of it had me totally absorbed. I love this writer (thanks for telling me about her Katie!) and I'll definitely read her other books. I think she's only written three books since 1994 and one is due out next month. The writing is superb and Kline has that great storyteller quality that makes for my favorite kinds of books.
❤Marie Gentilcore
I really enjoyed this book. It was women’s fiction with a little mystery too. 27-year old Cassie Simon inherits land and a house in Sweetwater, Tennessee from her grandfather. She is currently living in New York and her life is at a cross roads so she decides to move to Sweetwater and get to know her mother’s family who she hasn’t had much to do with since her mother died 24 years ago. The story is told by Cassie and by her grandmother, Clyde, so we learn about the past and present. I really enj ...more
Maureen DeLuca
I read this book for I absolutely loved Orphan Train - which I highly recommend you reading! It was WONDERFUL... this book- not so much -
Jo-Ann Murphy
I had trouble deciding on a rating for this book.

The premise and the writing kept me captivated throughout. I did not want to put it down. I really enjoyed the read. On that basis, I would have given it 5 stars.

The problem came with the details. The writing did not convey the setting to me. I did not get the feeling from the dialogue that this family came from TN. I don't think there was one "bless your heart" in the whole book. These people felt more like they belonged in the Northeast. They se
Melissa
Sep 30, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cassie Simon returns to her mother's hometown in Sweet Water, Tennessee when she inherits a home and land from her grandfather. There, Cassie reconnects with her estranged family and tries to find out what happened the day her mother died in a car accident when Cassie was only three years old. The past is revealed in alternating chapters richly told by Cassie's grandmother and present chapters with Cassie doing her own investigating. I'd been stuck in a rut of starting books that lacked movement ...more
I liked pieces of it but other things - little side stuff that didn't affect the story line but did affect my feelings about this book popped up every once in a while and soured the book for me. (view spoiler)
Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews

From New York City to Tennessee?

Was Cassie making the right move? She thought so, but meeting family members she hadn't seen since she was three was frightening as well as disillusioning. She had to find out her roots, to find out what happened to her mother, and to find out why her mother really didn't want to live in Sweetwater, Tennessee, and why her grandfather left her the family home and 60 acres. What could the reason possibly be when she never knew him?

Cassie is an interesting character
Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo
Twenty seven year old Cassandra Simon is lost. Her life in NYC is mundane at best. Both her professional and personsal lives are lacking. Cassie isn’t sure what is lacking. So when an unexpected bequest from Amory Clyde, she decides to go to Sweet Water TN. Her father warns her that she may not find what she’s looking for. Her friend Drew cautions, “Sometimes we are running from something or we are running towards something.” For Cassie the truth may be both.

Haunted by the death of her mother 2
Maita
May 16, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm not sure what to think of this book. I found it a compelling read but SPOILER ALERT, it contained a very creepy side plot with Cassie falling for her cousin. Yes, I get he's adopted so they technically aren't related and they'd never met so it wasn't like they grew up together, but seriously. Ewwww. It wasn't like they were long, lost 5th cousins or anything that never knew the other existed. First cousins. Who knew about each other, albeit, again, never met. I found that a little skeevy.

Two
Linda
Aug 02, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Liked the way the story is told by both grandmother and granddaughter with each chapter featuring one or the other. After being disillusioned with her life in New York, a young woman moves to Tennessee after the maternal grandfather she never met leaves a home and land to her. Since her mother died when she was 3, she is eager to meet the extended family for the first time in hopes of learning details about her mother's terrible accident, which leads to some very dark discoveries & well-kept ...more
Patricia C
Beth
Apr 18, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-on-kindle
Really liked this book a lot. Great writing and a wonderful story of a young woman (Cassie) who returns to her Tennessee roots to re-connect with family after inheriting her grandparent's home. Her Mother had died when she was 3 and her father raised her in Boston. Her Mother's family had not kept in touch and so finding out that she had been given the family homestead was a big surprise.

Lots of family secrets and some beautiful descriptions of the Tennessee countryside and what life in a small,
Scarlett S
All the build up to this big mystery only to be let down in the end. I like the way the story was told but I just expected too much for the ending I guess.
Lil Bit
May 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Margy
Jan 13, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Well this was definitely one of the most depressing - and dysfunctional - books I have ever read. I had a hard time wrapping my brain around so many decisions made in this book, and was really frustrated with so many poor choices everyone in this family seemed to make. And what's with women always being so willing to throw each other under the bus - even when they are best friends - all for some man that truly has no redeeming qualities? No loyalty to the sister-hood whatsoever! And don't even g ...more
Margaret
Sep 23, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: not-recommended
I enjoyed A Piece of the World, the author's most recent work, so when I was looking for something new to listen to, I thought I'd give this a try. Let's just say she's gotten a lot better since 1993.
Priscilla Wilson
I enjoyed this book for the most part. It did get confusing towards the end though & I didn't like how she ended it. Good read.......up until the last 50 pages 🙄
Wendy
I'm not sure if I didn't like the book or if I'm just not used to listening to one. This was my first audiobook and I think I was too distracted by the voice changes. However, I did not care for the long, drawn out reveals that were meant to keep the reader engaged with the plot.
Melinda
Apr 29, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Havebooks Willread
This wasn't the most interesting or well-written (or moral!) book, yet the characterization was quite good. PEOPLE! One of the reasons I love to read is thinking about people and why they do what they do, why they are who they are.

My main takeaway from this book is the importance of CHOICE. We choose who we are going to be, how we are going to deal with situations, and in a sense, I think we teach others how to treat us--we have some say in how others treat us because we choose whether we'll put
Nancy Baker
Well let me start out by saying that I loved this author's book, "The Orphan Train". I was expecting another outstanding story but I'm afraid the author missed the boat on this one.

Cassandra, who lives in New York City and works in a small, struggling art store, receives word that the grandfather she never really knew has passed away and left her his land and old home in Sweet Water. When Cassandra was a small child, her mother was killed in a car accident in which her grandfather was driving.
Carol
Feb 21, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not sure if this story is as interesting as the reviews it has created. Others reactions aside, Kline touches family life as it oftentimes happens - lots of assumptions built on a little bit of knowledge running through personal filters of love and hate.
Theresa
Jun 02, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
For Kline's first novel, this is an ok read. I got it for free or maybe 99 cents on my kindle, so glad I didn't spend much on it.

The story of this family and their past secrets reads a bit like a mystery, but also bit of family drama. The characters were pretty one dimensional, and I didn't really connect with any of them. Some, like Clyde and Elaine, I didn't really like at all! Troy's character and his relationship with Cassie was very odd to me in general, kind of just thrown in there for fod
Laurel
Apr 04, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Difficult rating because this writer has an incredible talent and skill with wording. Unlike many books, I was drawn into this novel and wanted to get to the next page. However, the actual storylines and unresolved questions make it impossible to rate this author on her talented use of words alone.

There are characters that lead nowhere. There are scenes that are irrelevant. Is this a mystery or a romance novel? Depending on what page you're on, it changes.

In the end, I believe I can connect an
  • Everybody's Daughter
  • All He Saw Was The Girl
  • Dover Beach (The Last P.I., #1)
  • Sins of the Father
  • The Trivia Lover's Guide to the World: Geography for the Lost and Found
  • Meet the Annas
  • The Hunt
  • Darkness Before Dawn
  • A White Wind Blew
  • Scavenger Hunt (A Finny Aletter Mystery, Book 1)
  • Leave No Stone Unturned (Lexie Starr Mystery #1)
  • The Rockin' Chair
  • Hybrid
  • Dead Politician Society (Clare Vengel Undercover, #1)
  • Summer of Fire (Yellowstone, #1)
  • The Seduction of Emily
  • The Normans: From Raiders to Kings
  • Nobody Comes
Christina Baker Kline is the author of New York Times instant bestseller A Piece of the World (2017), about the relationship between the artist Andrew Wyeth and the subject of his best-known painting, Christina’s World. Kline has written six other novels -- Orphan Train, Orphan Train Girl, The Way Life Should Be, Sweet Water, Bird in Hand, and Desire Lines-- and written or edited five works of non ...more
“What I couldn’t see is that sometimes the healing is not in the forgetting but in the letting go. Sometimes the answer you need is to a question you don’t know how to ask.” 2 likes
“Memory believes before knowing remembers.” 0 likes