Start by marking “Soppy” as Want to Read:
Soppy

Soppy

True love isn’t always about the big romantic gestures.

Sometimes it’s about sympathizing with someone whose tea has gone cold or reading together and sharing a quilt. When two people move in together, it soon becomes apparent that the little things mean an awful lot. The throwaway moments in life become meaningful when you spend them in the company of someone you love.

SO
Published December 2nd 2014 by Andrews McMeel Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Soppy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Soppy

Nick
Mar 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
description

This was a perfection.So simple,so peaceful,so beautiful.

You can find the full review and more about this book on my blog!

description

I read this is one breath.It is a story of two people falling in love and their journey together.It's somehow a story of the author with her husband,some moments she lived with him,and it's about small gestures that make your life complete.

description

The art is so freaking awesome.It's a combination or red,white and black and god is it beautiful.What I loved mostly,is the way the

Ariel
Feb 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
AWWWWW. IT'S SO LOVELY.

I found some of Rice's webcomics online and squealed because they filled me with warmth and then my boyfriend surprised me with the physical book for Valentines day! This is beautiful because it's about mundane, every day moments that show real love between two people. It's about a couple that has just moved in together and about little sparks that happen in their new life together. It made me want to hug everything. You should read it.
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

Soppy popped up on my feed yesterday when my friend Matthew shelved it as a want-to-read. It reminded me that I received this title as an ARC and since I’m nothing but fail all the time after I read it I never posted a review (this might be why my NetGalley never goes above 80%). This was soooooooooooooooo not the selection for me. It’s geared more toward that super lovey couple that makes everyone else gag – like my friends Erica and
Lola
Oct 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Not all love stories have to be grandiose. For something to be admirable, it doesn’t have to be rare or worthy of a dreamy romantic comedy movie.

SOPPY shows us exactly this. It’s about two people who meet, spend time together, fall in love, want to spend more time together and so on. Nothing incredible happens.

And yet their story is still very beautiful, because they learn to love each other’s strengths and weaknesses. They listen to one another and remember the little details that can change ev
Sam Quixote
Oct 06, 2014 rated it it was ok
As much as I disliked this comic, it did give me more laughs than I’ve had from any book for quite some time!

Philippa Rice and Luke Pearson are a couple of cartoonists in love. Rice shares moments from their everyday life in Soppy where they brush their teeth together, fall asleep on the couch together, argue over who should make the tea, answer the doorbell when the pizza delivery guy shows...

This isn’t really a story or collection of stories, it’s instead snippets of inane observations, and s
Anne
Soppy is an unpretentious declaration of love. Philippa Rice managed to put her heart in this book, which is one of the cutest things I've ever seen.

I lost count of how many times I smiled, sighed happily and thanked God for having this kind of silly love in my life. And that's the best part. This comic is extremely simple, but it surprises you and makes you say, "That's me!" or "That's my significant other!"

I’ll cook if you wash up.”

“If you phone for the pizza, I’ll answer the door when it a
Ilana
Aug 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
What a wonderful little book! I like going into a book knowing as little about it as possible sometimes. I’d seen this book recommended somewhere and that it was a love story and assumed from the illustration style on the cover this was a children’s book. Not so! But I guess you could say the black and red illustrations of two childish looking adults are bound to appeal to our inner child in this touching and simple story about a couple falling in love, moving in together and sharing life’s inti ...more
Krista Regester
Apr 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is exactly what I needed today. So stinkin, super cute.
Shari (colourmeread)
It's so simple, but so beautiful and endearing. I would pick Soppy over many romance books published to date. It isn't cheesy or cringe-worthy and the best part about it is it's real. An adorable graphic novel about a young couple and their experiences moving in together. From silly banter about who should make tea to reading and cooking together, Soppy captures love without needing to say it.
Raina
This book caught me on exactly the right day. I was cranky and whiny, and generally in a bad mood.
And this book totally cheered me up!

It helps to know that, in this heterosexual couple, the dude is Luke Pearson of Hildafolk fame.

Rice chronicles the early stages of moving-in modern romantic love. How the simple things seem important, how two different people can approach the same activity, and sometimes it's a struggle to reconcile those approaches, and sometimes it's just adorable to notice
Noura
Oct 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
This quite honestly is the single most adorable thing that I have read in the past 6 or so months.
I had no expectations going in. I mean, I had a vague notion of what Philippa Rice's work was like but not enough to form an opinion so maybe that contributed to me enjoying it immensely.
There really isn't a plot to the whole book, it's mostly snippets of everyday life between the author and her partner but there's just something about the whole simplicity and ease with which they deal with each ot
Rita
Initial thoughts:

1. Adorable!
2. This definitely reminds me of my relationship with my boyfriend.
3. The artwork is cute and entirely in black, white and red. Love it!
4. A love story that makes do with not much words.
5. It made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside!

Check out my full review on my blog!
AJ Torres
Aug 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015, favorites
This makes me feel. Feelings. Dragging my wife to a bookstore (she dislikes it because I get lost in there and lose her), she ends up picking up this little comic book. And guess what? She ends up finding me in the massive bookstore just to tackle me and show me all the cute pictures that remind her of us! I can't lie by saying this didn't bring a huge smile on my face.

Deciding to check it out for myself, I was so happy throughout. This is one of those ordinary stories of a relationship. Nothing
Adela Cacovean
This was a cute story about love told in simple images that show those little moments in life that matter, whether it's reading a book together, going out or simply the things you say to each other.

So for the sake of following this book's pattern, I will keep my review short. I really loved this graphic novel, it made me remember all sorts of moments I've personally had with my boyfriend and how some joke we shared is sometimes more important than going out to see a movie for instance.

I think t
Fatma
Mar 27, 2018 rated it liked it
SO CUTE
Reham Almutairi رهام المطيري
So, so sweet...so freaking sweeeeeeeeet ! I loved this story! Rice shows what does it mean to be in love? and what is actually love? It is a story of Rice herself with her husband. It shows the journey those in love set on together. She explains that love is not saying "I love you" everyday; instead, love resides in the simple, kind gestures. Love is to share a book, a movie, a T-shirt or not to retrieve the blanket when the other hogs it :) Love is more than the trivial advertisement of movies ...more
Thais Morimoto (tatakizi)
Aug 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
SO CUTE!
I've finished this in 20 minutes. I loved it!
Soppy is a comic based on real-life moments of the author and her boyfriend.
At the beginning, I thought the characters were too happy and having not problems. When I was in the middle of the story, then things started to happen. It's normal life. It has fights, problems and love. The word that describes this comic is: cute.
Also, I loved that the only colors used in this was black, white and red. It's different and it made it unique.
Unfortunate
Fatema
this was cute but idk how to rate it lol
Lauren
Apr 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a ridiculously cute and adorable story!! Honestly, I can feel my heart melting!!

Soppy follows the daily life of the artists Philippa Rice and Luke Pearson. It is an incredibly intimate account of their relationship together including grocery shopping, their sleeping and eating habits, their pastimes etc.

The illustrations are wonderful and comprise of only 3 colours - red, black and white which further enhances the romantic overtones which pervade throughout.

What Philippa Rice does is s
Peg
Jan 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Peg by: Lisa
I've been trying to find a way to review this that doesn't make it sound sappy and "soppy." Can't. It's perfectly titled. It's also lovely, sweet, funny and heartwarming, showcasing the moments that you sometimes don't even notice happening that all add up to a happy life together. The illustrations are simple and to the point, but they pack a lot of heart. Loved this.
lottie
Mar 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
I accidentally imagined them as grown-up Blue & Gansey and I'm laid low
Ingrid
Apr 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
A good reminder that the best thing about love is that you can be cranky sometimes and they still bring you milkshakes. <3
Emily
Sep 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
So cute.
BookishStitcher
Jan 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Quite possibly the cutest thing in existence on planet earth!
Marylou
Ahh this is was such a sweet read! I have seen some of these illustrations before,but nonetheless I found the whole thing adorable.You basically read the story of a couple very much in love, through pictures . They eat, sleep and work together, and the pictures illustrate their everyday life. I think it would make an awesome present to your significant other!
Some of the pictures were too relatable. The following ones in particular, made me laugh as they apply to me and my bf:
-we are always fight
Maria
Feb 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
THIS WAS SO CUTE
Camille Dent
Aug 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sequential-art
IT'S SO CUTE!! I almost took a star off for how brief it is, but isn't brevity kind of the point of it? Rice captures moments that are adorable, brief reflections of love in an every day life perspective rather than trying to tell a big narrative about a lover's epic quest, which is more similar to the love stories that we are used to in various intensities. Even though I wanted this book to be longer, I can only imagine it getting repetitive after too long, so I think Rice made the right choice ...more
Claudia Sanchez
Feb 26, 2016 rated it liked it
Awesome color scheme! Overall, sweet, warm and comforting.
Kelly
Feb 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
I loooove the art in here & it was super adorable but maybe avoid if you've had a break up in the last um TEN YEARS or so. (just kidding, still read it, but yr probably gonna feel some LONGING)
Olive
Dec 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Oh my goodness, I can't handle the cuteness. This is way more similar to my husband and me than either of us normally like to admit.

• Get Over It!
  • The Creeps
  • Lighter Than My Shadow
  • Bad Houses
  • Baby's in Black: Astrid Kirchherr, Stuart Sutcliffe, and The Beatles
  • Giant Days, Vol. 7 (Giant Days, #7)
  • Ethel and Ernest
  • Poorly Drawn Lines: Good Ideas and Amazing Stories
  • Princess Decomposia and Count Spatula
  • California Dreamin'
  • Everything is Flammable
  • Prison Island: A Graphic Memoir
Philippa Rice is an artist who works in a number of different mediums including comics, illustration, animation, model making and crochet.

Her works include the collage based webcomic, My Cardboard Life, and her auto-biographical comics, Soppy.

Philippa grew up in London and now she lives in Nottingham with illustrator Luke Pearson.
“Vanilla is only a weak version of chocolate.” 0 likes