Start by marking “Shroom: Mind-bendingly Good Recipes for Cultivated and Wild Mushrooms” as Want to Read:
Shroom: Mind-bendingly Good Recipes for Cultivated and Wild Mushrooms

Shroom: Mind-bendingly Good Recipes for Cultivated and Wild Mushrooms

Chef and cooking teacher Becky Selengut's Shroom feeds our enduring passion for foraged and wild foods by exploring 15 types of mushrooms, including detailed how-to's on everything home cooks need to know to create 75 inventive, internationally-flavored mushroom dishes.

The button mushroom better make room on the shelf. We're seeing a growing number of supermarkets
Published September 9th 2014 by Andrews McMeel Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Shroom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shroom

Start your review of Shroom: Mind-bendingly Good Recipes for Cultivated and Wild Mushrooms
Julie Christine
Mind-bendingly beautiful, witty, charming homage to mushrooms both humble and exotic. I'm blessed to live in a part of the world where a walk in the woods can net a bounty of comestible 'shrooms and the most exotic of species can be found in our little local co-op, but I've never ventured beyond porcini, shiitake and chanterelle in my own cooking. Lion's Mane, Lobster, Hedgehog, Oyster—gorgeous to look at, but what the hell do I do with them?

Enter 'Shroom. Not only is this ripe with divine and
Karen Witzler
Nov 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Looks at common and new-to-American varieties from White Button to Maitake and Lion's Mane to Truffles. Interesting background sections on each mushroom include shopping guide and dangerous look-alikes. Many excellent and innovative recipes. Most are vegetarian.
Jillyn
Jul 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: requested
When I saw this book, I knew I had to read it. I have an obsession with mushrooms. They are possibly my favorite ingredient, and in my humble opinion they can make any dish, simple or complicated, all the more delicious. That said, I am an omnivore and do enjoy my meat as well as vegetables and fungi. I was very pleasantly surprised that almost all of these recipes, most of which are without meat, sounded amazing to me. This is a very vegetarian book, as I mentioned a lot of the recipes don't ...more
E
Aug 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing

shroom cover bol big

Shroom: Mind-Bendingly Good Recipes for Cultivated and WildMushrooms
By Lisa King | Monday, August 19

Private chef, author, and cooking teacher Becky Selengut has a passion for colorful fungi. When she is notwandering through the woods searching for the perfect wild chanterelle, she's ather post as aprofessor in the culinary/nutrition department at Bastyr University.She had great success with IACP book award finalistGood Fish: Sustainable Seafood Recipes from the Pacific Coast, one of Seattle
Lili
Aug 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mushrooms
*I received this book from Netgalley in exchange for a review*

The first thing I have to say about this book is it is beautifully done, the photos are beautiful and the illustrations are lovely. I absolutely love the witty, tongue and cheek writing style...I find often that books that are geared towards the most wonderful kingdom of Fungi are either dry as a three day old Marasmius or bursting with life and wit like a very ripe puffball. There are two kinds of people when it comes to muhsroomers!
Dan Carey
I'm not entirely sure how to rate a cookbook, since I don't think I've read one cover-to-cover before. The writing was entertaining and the directions clear. If I find I use more of the recipes (only one so far), I may raise the rating.
Nerisa  Eugenia Waterman
Aug 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is not just a cookbook, this is a decoder ring for 15 different types of mushrooms, accompanied with yummy recipes and photographs that will have you asking yourself, why someone didn’t write a cookbook about mushrooms before.
I know, I know, this is not the first cookbook about mushrooms, but it is definitely the Holy Grail or in my Buddhist world the Lotus Sutra for mushroom cookbooks. This cookbook will definitely get you excited about mushrooms, the recipes are as mouthwatering as the
Amanda
Oct 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
*I received an ARC from the publisher through Netgalley*

My husband and I love mushrooms. He wants to find mushrooms in the wild and I would really prefer to buy them from a store or the farmer's market so I know we won't die from mushroom poisoning. It's an ongoing debate.

This is a beautiful book. The photographs are amazing and I like the layout a lot. I haven't tried any of the recipes yet because I know that will start the "we should go mushroom hunting" conversation again. But I really,
Carol Bakker
Apr 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, adventure, food
I read this cookbook as a food memoir. Selengut is a wordsmith with a sharp wit as well as a celebrated Seattle chef. While many recipes included ingredients not available to me in rural Oregon, perusing them was a vicarious adventure.

Among many helpful tips, two are essential for any fungivore:

1. Never, ever store mushrooms in the refrigerator in plastic bags. They need to breath. Use a brown paper bag.

2. Cook shrooms over high heat and give them plenty of room, cooking in batches if
DelAnne Frazee
ASIN: B00JKNMFQ0
Reviewer: DelAnne
Reviewed For: NetGalley
My Rating: 5 Stars
I will be the first to admit I do not know the difference between a poisonous breed of mushrooms and edible one in the wild. I play it safe
Megan
Feb 05, 2015 rated it liked it
I love mushrooms, so perhaps I'm a bit biased here. But there were so many great sounding recipes- portobello shakshuka, red curry roasted portobellos tucked into banh mi's, beech mushrooms in phyllo with Georgian green sauce, I could go on forever. I can't wait to cook from this!

I liked the variety of mushrooms here, but I wished there were more recipes with cremini mushrooms, since it's hard to me to find some of the varietals here.
Heydi Smith
Dec 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wish-list
I love all the details about each mushroom and the wonderfully descriptive recipes. A+

I will definitely purchase this for myself and family and friends.
Ashley
Gremlinchode
Mar 20, 2016

• The Vision
  • Reborn: Book One
  • John Dies at the End (John Dies at the End, #1)
  • Thrawn: Treason (Star Wars: Thrawn, #3)
  • The Book of M
  • Good Moms Have Scary Thoughts: A Healing Guide to the Secret Fears of New Mothers
  • Olives, Lemons & Za'atar: The Best Middle Eastern Home Cooking
  • Real Queer America: LGBT Stories from Red States
  • Rose Water and Orange Blossoms: Fresh & Classic Recipes from my Lebanese Kitchen
  • Star Wars: Poe Dameron, Vol. 3: Legend Lost
  • Doctor Strange, Vol. 3: Blood in the Aether
  • The Forager's Feast: How to Identify, Gather, and Prepare Wild Edibles
  • Preserving by the Pint: Quick Seasonal Canning for Small Spaces
  • Tales of the City (Tales of the City, #1)
  • The Modern Cook’s Year: Over 250 vibrant vegetable recipes to see you through the seasons
  • Under The Moon: A Catwoman Tale