Start by marking “The Joy of Missing Out: Finding Balance in a Wired World” as Want to Read:
The Joy of Missing Out: Finding Balance in a Wired World

The Joy of Missing Out: Finding Balance in a Wired World

There's no doubt that technology has overrun our lives. Over the past few decades, the world has embraced "progress" and we're living with the resultant clicking, beeping, anxiety-inducing frenzy. But a creative backlash is gathering steam, helping us cope with the avalanche of data that threatens to overwhelm us daily through our computers, tablets, and smartphones.

Digita
Published January 16th 2015 by New Society Publishers (first published October 20th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Joy of Missing Out, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Joy of Missing Out

Rosemary
Mar 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
I received a free copy of this book from Goodreads First Reads in exchange for an honest review.

The book covers the challenges and solutions as well as the ramifications to our neglected selves through the 30 day experiment conducted by the author. During this time, she unplugged her life from all instant media. Including all things that most of us in the developed world use hourly, daily, (if not constantly) for work, entertainment and human interactions.

She made some very valid points. Very fe
Nina
Feb 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
When I was contacted if I wanted to do a book review as a follow-up to the post on the JOMO diet I did a while back, I was delighted. Not only did this feel like a huge validation for a blog that is still growing, but it also meant that someone had gone and done this and had a wealth of personal insights to share. Excellent!

Expanding upon her TEDx talk, Christina wrote down in detail how she feels that while technology is a boon, there is also another side to the story. Reinforcing her beliefs w

Renee
May 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
I found myself really impacted by this book. While it went a little long, and became a little preachy by the end, I did embrace the concepts. I have taken FB application off my phone, stopped watching endless amounts of TV without purpose, stopped surfing while watching TV (as have my whole family), stopped checking email as if it were a nervous tic. I'm considering adding in writing letters and picking up my writing books again. I've already started reading more. I find myself less anxious and ...more
Yellowoasis
Feb 12, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2016, dnf
This book is light on evidence and heavy on anecdote. I was hoping for something a bit more meaty. Ironically, for a book that advocates deep engagement, I found the thesis to be rather shallow and smug. I feel it’s a ‘once-over-lightly’ for the already converted rather than designed to challenge attitudes.
Karen
Feb 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
If I could, I'd give this 3 1/2 stars. I didn't love it and it's not the best book I've read on this subject, but the author does bring up some good points. The book at times felt more like a blog though. Maybe it's because the other book I'm reading is full of solid references that my expectations here were higher, but it seemed like even when the author referenced studies, the references were rather vague. It also became repetitive at times. I do agree with some of the observations, however.

Loreli
Feb 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Christina is brings up the subject in a knowledgeable and relatable way - how our being continually plugged in has effects/consequences that we should face/deal with. I finished the book feeling inspired to make changes in my life. I don't think it's an accident that I didn't post on Facebook for a couple weeks (and I have had a daily habit for several years). Just enjoyed the detox.

Pairs nicely with Nicholas Carr's The Shallows.
Lara Van Hulzen
Aug 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Most books on this topic can be extreme - this is bad! Run away! Dont' look back! But this was different. With fascinating, and sometimes frightening, statistics & research, Christina shows how technology is changing not only our world, but us as people. Taking a 31 day fast from technology, she discovered she loves email and has more time in a day when she doesn't scroll media every 10 min. Her bottom line message is balance. And I appreciated that.
Dimitris Hall
Reading this book, I started wondering: will always-on connection change the world the same way electricity did?

Although it's true that "giving up the night" to entertainment, work and lack of sleep made human lives less natural, healthy and balanced, this decision also made nights unfathomably more stimulating. The impressionable animals that we are, I'm assuming that few people today would argue that things were better when darkness was still, for most intents and purposes, darkness.

So: it's n
Lo
Apr 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: the-end, reference
It was OK - a great motivational read, with some exercises that I didn't bother doing because I already don't own a smartphone and am long since past being tempted by social media notification pings. Still, I need my little bit of digital dopamine fixes every once in a while, and this is a good book for beginners to figure out what that means in a broader sense. I knocked off an entire star for just the fact that I wish Cook had included proper footnotes and citations for some of her quotes and ...more
Jane
Mar 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Helpful book about what it means to live in our current “digitally connected” world. The author quoted extensively from Sherry Turkle (Reclaiming Conversation by Sherry Turkle is probably the best book I have read on this topic) and Brene Brown, who I would also recommend (though her writing covers more topics than the “digital age” conversation). I also come away from books like this thinking, “I really need to read Wendell Berry!” He seems to be quoted a lot in books that talk about living slo ...more
Melinda Mifsud
Jun 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful book, aimed at people wanting to use the internet less. Its written so beautifully with compassion, excellent references and practical ideas. It just makes sense. I love that she uses unusual words too, I had to get the dictionary out a few times to look up the meaning but that made me like the book more. Its poetic, real and motivating. I highly recommend this book to anyone who feels overloaded with information and the demands of attention from the web.
Brenda Wharton
Apr 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
She talks about the importance of being involved with the people around us and finding balance in our lives instead of feeling the compulsion to check your phone multiple times a day. She talks about how we think we are making things easier and simpler by multitasking and connection with people on FB and via text... but it actually makes life more stressful and creates more superficial relationships
Gabby
Jun 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I don’t often write reviews, but I think this book is an important read for everyone of this era. As a young adult myself, I do find myself sucked into the rabbit hole of the web (Goodreads included, ironically enough). It’s important for everyone to take a step back and reconsider what they’re trying to achieve through the use of the Internet. This book reminds us of that important idea and gives steps to achieve it.
Feb 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Crook makes a very good case for limiting our access to the internet, and even lays out a plan to quit our digital entanglement at the end of the book. I found it very compelling!
Pam
May 25, 2019 rated it liked it
3.25. Good message. Bad execution. Couldn’t abide by her writing style.
Cat Caird
Jul 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I found this book so helpful and challenging, especially as I think through my own use of the internet and smart phone.
Anneli
Aug 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I teach summer enrichment writing courses with high school students and this book was a wonderful resource. I specifically wanted to challenge my students to consider how much of their daily communication and relationship building is carried out via screens and text, and reading part of "The Joy of Missing Out" together was an excellent way to get the students thinking critically in a positive and reflective way.
JOMO is a great text for students because the prose is appropriately challenging by
Anna Lussenburg
Sep 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing

I really enjoyed this book. It's engaging and well written and tackles a subject that's long been sidelined in the quest for technological progress. There's been an upside to the internet and our connections of course but there has also been a measurable downside that is becoming more and more clear. As someone who works solving children's behaviour issues, I can tell you I've seen more than my fair share of two year olds glued to i pads. Christina not only points out ways to live a more balance
Maggie
Mar 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A very interesting reflection on both the good and the bad of the various technologies that we use each and every day. And the fact that our each and every day are ruled by these technologies. Life today requires that we are connected so that we can keep up and be in the know. But what are we keeping up to and do we really need to know so much of what goes on in other peoples lives?? i.e. social media. If we choose to disconnect it's seen as a problem, fault and maybe even an indiscretion. It's ...more
Sarah Boon
Jun 12, 2016 rated it did not like it
Based on the book's description, I was really looking forward to reading it. When I got it, however, my first warning that it was going to be thin on evidence and long on anecdote was the hippy dippy press from Gabriola Island that published it. By the time I got to the author's timeline, in which she outlines the development of new technologies and just happens to include stats on mental illness, I'd had enough. Correlation is not causation - if you want to make a case about Web connectivity dr ...more
Pat Rudebusch
May 13, 2015 rated it liked it
Okay, we all know that we spend too much time on our devices, so do we really need a book to point out the obvious! Probably.

Rather than an essay on why technology is ruining us, the author acknowledges both the power of technology to help yes connect, as well as the danger of being so absorbed in it that we disconnect.

Anyone who, like me, feels a tinge of annoyance when someone pulls out their phone mid-conversation to find an answer will appreciate the section on how having Google in our poc
Kim
Jul 23, 2015 added it
Christina's book is an honest eye-opener about how technology has invaded our homes, our families and quite frankly, our world. JOMO made me reflect on how I could set a better example for my children and make better use of my time. Since I read JOMO I have read more books than ever, am very conscious of not prioritizing my handheld device over my children and focusing on enjoying the moment. It is a great read for anyone who feels a slave to the internet or finds themselves constantly checking ...more
Winnie
Mar 27, 2015 rated it liked it
The author states how man invented high technology, and now how these high tech toys like smart phones and internet remake man. A lot of us are so addicted to the digital world, we missed the beauty of real life.
This lead me to rethink I should have more control on how much time I spend on Internet, what am I sharing. Or I should spend more time in focusing in my present need : relationship, health, future plans, or even just doing nothing , just relax . Rather than keep ourselves busy by checki
Ian Wooder
for all of those of you who are addicted to you cell phones, computers, iPods, MP3 players, this is the book for you.

It reminded me that there is a whole world out there we used to know and can be discovered yet once again.

I would recommend this book to all techie addicts.

It is thoroughly enjoyable and gives tips on how to break the habit, and ideas of what to replace the habit with
Chrissy
Jan 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is one of those titles that I want to pick up again so that I can go back and underline a few key parts. Crook definitely did her research and makes several points in ways that I hadn't before considered. The book is terribly edited (Crook repeats herself several times, but that should have been cleared up during editing). Still highly recommend and I'm glad that I have it on my shelf!
Christopher Meades
Apr 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book is a must-have for anyone who's ever found themselves glancing at their iPhone when they should have been talking to their kids. It's insightful without being preachy. I highly recommend it.
Sasha Boersma
Jun 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
A bit rough to get into, lots of scattered bits of ideas, but it does come together. Much of what she writes isn't new, but all the thoughts and ideas are collected. If anyone is looking for a kick in the butt to disconnect from the digital habit, this is a good read to gain some perspective.
Doreen
Aug 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Interesting read about how technology affects our lives and ideas on disconnecting from technology. I enjoyed the author's anecdotes on her 30-day technology detox.
Sue Tonnesen
Jan 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book gave me lots to think about and it gave me lots to talk about with my family. I think it is worth a second read and a share.
J.M. Infusino
The book was hard for me to get into and stay reading.

• Freeing Yourself from Anxiety: 4 Simple Steps to Overcome Worry and Create the Life You Want
  • Bitter Medicine: A Graphic Memoir of Mental Illness
  • Slug Days
  • The Next Day: A Graphic Novella
  • Amphibian
  • The Weekend Effect: The Life Changing Benefits of Taking Time Off and Challenging the Cult of Overwork
  • Secret Journeys of a Lifetime: 500 of the World's Best Hidden Travel Gems
  • The Paradox of Generosity: Giving We Receive, Grasping We Lose
  • A Branch from the Lightning Tree: Ecstatic Myth and the Grace of Wildness
  • Hauntings: Dispelling the Ghosts Who Run Our Lives
  • Asperger Love: Searching for Romance When You’re Not Wired to Connect
  • Soul Vows: Gathering the Presence of the Divine in You, Through You, and As You
  • The Watcher
  • Living with Honour: A Pagan Ethics
  • Druid Mysteries: Ancient Wisdom for the 21st Century
  • Sunburning
  • The Permaculture City: Regenerative Design for Urban, Suburban, and Town Resilience
  • Bake Sales Are My B*tch: Win the Food Allergy Wars with 50 Recipes to Keep Kids Safe and Parents Sane
Christina Crook is an award-winning author and TEDx speaker whose commentary on technology and our daily lives has appeared in the New York Times, Psychology Today, Women's Health, Times of India, NPR, CBC Radio, AARP, CTV, Global TV, Utne Reader, Sirius XM New York and more.

In 2012 she disabled the data on her smartphone, turned off her email and said goodbye to the Internet for 31 days. This exp
“There are 2.5 quintillion bits of information added to the Internet every day. As a result, each time we access the Web, we are offered something new, a shot of dopamine: a like! a share! an email! a purchase! Our egos are bolstered, our nervous energy absorbed. While ideas can spark online, it’s more often through face-to-face conversations, sketches in our source books, extended hours lost in a project or even in sleep, that ideas grow legs.” 2 likes