Start by marking “Coming Back to Life: The Updated Guide to the Work that Reconnects” as Want to Read:
Coming Back to Life: The Updated Guide to the Work that Reconnects

Coming Back to Life: The Updated Guide to the Work that Reconnects

Deepening global crises surround us. We are beset by climate change, fracking, tar sands extraction, GMOs, and mass extinctions of species, to say nothing of nuclear weapons proliferation and Fukushima, the worst nuclear disaster in history. Many of us fall prey to despair even as we feel called to respond to these threats to life on our planet.

Authors Joanna Macy and Moll
Published November 11th 2014 by New Society Publishers (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Coming Back to Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Coming Back to Life

Start your review of Coming Back to Life: The Updated Guide to the Work that Reconnects
Chrissy
Nov 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Saved my life.
Clivemichael
Apr 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Changemakers, culture jammers, revolutionaries
Immense gratitude for all the work done. Essential reading. Well articulated and presented, enthusiastically upbeat and realistic. Love the humility.
"As we go forth in the Great Turning, there are systems and institutions that we will and must challenge. The men and women who serve these structures may appear as our opponents, but they are likely in bondage to our true opponents: institutionalized forms of greed, hatred and delusion."
Erica Rhinehart
Aug 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Macy is an incredible guide and true elder who gives away her most potent practices to teachers, activists and facilitators who recognize the immensity of the tasks that face humanity now and in the near future. In my opinion, the Work that Reconnects contains invaluable practices to engage students of all kinds and belongs in every classroom across the United States.
Kim Morrow
Oct 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a really helpful book if you are planning a retreat based on Joanna Macy's work, and if you have attended her retreats already. If neither of these are true then I think readers may be lost. It is a workbook for workshop readers rather than a book for a general audience. As a workbook, it is a marvelous resource.
Jonwillum Duurnenbol
Inspirerend, met basis/theorie, en veel oefeningen om met groepen te werken.
Seham
Mar 22, 2020 added it
Despite what was written as a review tagged to this book, Life is coming back slowly, acceptance is showing itself, a smile is enough to bright a day, and a hug from a child equals the whole world.
Family and kind people around you can keep every pain away, taking you out of any dark pool, full of hatred and cruel against any happiness in your life.
Sarah Guldenbrein
I didn't realize this was going to be so heavy on the facilitation exercises and so light on the theory. it's not really what I was looking for.
Moses
Jul 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful resource book to The Work that Reconnects- I read it as part of a facilitator training program on The Work.

For independent reading, I would recommend 'Active Hope'.
Bruja Ha
Jan 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Joanna Macy is a treasure: a wise elder who also shows up as a real human being with foibles, fierce love, and humor. As one of her students, I've used this book extensively in teaching for the past 20 years, and recently purchased the updated version. It was wonderful the first time, and it's even better and more relevant now. It consists largely of powerful exercises that you can apply with others. Highly recommended, as is all of her work.
Jan 26, 2020
Heather
Dec 09, 2019
Signe
Jan 16, 2019
Anna Wiatrowska
Nov 01, 2018
Ellen
rated it did not like it
Oct 20, 2015

• This Is Not A Drill: An Extinction Rebellion Handbook
  • The Mother of All Questions
  • A Year with Rilke: Daily Readings from the Best of Rainer Maria Rilke
  • The Wild Edge of Sorrow: Rituals of Renewal and the Sacred Work of Grief
  • Braiding Sweetgrass: Indigenous Wisdom, Scientific Knowledge, and the Teachings of Plants
  • Surviving the Future: Culture, Carnival and Capital in the Aftermath of the Market Economy
  • Miraculous Living: A Guided Journey Through the Ten Gates of the Tree of Life
  • Times Alone: Selected Poems
  • You Will Never Be Forgotten: Stories
  • Spiritual Ecology: The Cry of the Earth
  • All About Love: New Visions
  • Eastern Body, Western Mind: Psychology and the Chakra System As a Path to the Self
  • Practical Kabbalah: A Guide to Jewish Wisdom for Everyday Life
Dr. Joanna Macy, activist, ecologist and author, is one of the pioneers of engaged Buddhism. Her online work includes the article "World as Lover, World as Self"; "Bestiary" (an ode to wildlife); Nuclear Guardianship, her testimony at the World Uranium Hearings in Salzburg, 1992; and The Vegan Vision, on the ethics of a vegan diet. Her other books include Mutual Causality in Buddhism and General S ...more

News & Interviews

“It is no longer appropriate to think only in terms of even my nation or my country, let alone my village. If we are to overcome the problems we face, we need what I have called a sense of universal responsibility rooted in love and kindness for our human brothers and sisters. In our present state of affairs, the very survival of humankind depends on people developing concern for the whole of humanity, not just their own community or nation. The reality of our situation impels us to act and think more clearly. Narrow-mindedness and self-centered thinking may have served us well in the past, but today will only lead to disaster. We can overcome such attitudes through the combination of education and training.” 4 likes
“The truth that many people never understand until it is too late is that the more you try to avoid suffering, the more you suffer. — Thomas Merton” 1 likes