Start by marking “Where Does Kitty Go in the Rain?” as Want to Read:
Where Does Kitty Go in the Rain?

Where Does Kitty Go in the Rain?

A lilting kitty mystery combines with rain-centered facts to create an utterly charming fiction/nonfiction picture book. As kids are invited on the search for Kitty, they'll also discover what different animals do to enjoy, or avoid, a rainy day. Harriet Ziefert's rhyming couplets pair beautifully with Brigette Barrager's lush art to make a combination that is sure to plea ...more
Published May 19th 2015 by Blue Apple Books (first published March 17th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Where Does Kitty Go in the Rain?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Where Does Kitty Go in the Rain?

Start your review of Where Does Kitty Go in the Rain?
Kris - My Novelesque Life
RATING: 4.5 STARS
2015; Blue Apple Books

What drew me to this picture book was the cover art. Brigette Barrager has done some great artwork in this book. I will definitely look for more books illustrated by Barrager. The story in this book is cute but also great for children who like to learn. The story begins with it starting to rain and a little girl looking for her kitty. As she goes about the yard looking for kitty she asks her mother if various things like the rain.

***I received a compliment
La La
The illustrations in this book are wonderful. The only problem I found was the reading rhythm was wobbly in a couple of places. I was approved for this eARC through Edelweiss in return for an honest review.
Eileen Carter
Sep 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is great for beginning readers as well as more advanced readers. There are two sets of words, one for the beginning reader and the other for a parent to read or a more advanced reader. It addresses the concept of rain and how animals adapt to the rain, whether it is to have oil on their feathers like a duck, use its tail like an umbrella like the squirrel, or stay inside like people and cats like to do. This is a book that teachers can use in their classroom to help teach about weather ...more
Cara Byrne
Apr 02, 2020 rated it liked it
I love the illustrations and interesting information about how different animals cope with rain, but this seemed like two books fighting with each other: one involves a young girl searching for her missing kitty in the rain and the other provides scientific information about rain, insects, and animals.
Trisha Parsons
Apr 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: storytime
I really liked how this book had facts about rain and animals in the margins. It made for great interactive reading prompts, like, "do cats like to get wet? what about ducks?" I didn't read the facts in their entirety since they're a little wordy. I just summed them up.
Wendy
Feb 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Loved how this one worked on two levels with a story being told and then side points that were educational.
Kristen Thorp
Jul 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
201/365

Very cute! I loved the blend of facts and simple story. Art work adorable.
Liz
Jun 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Outside the rain is falling, and a little girl can't find her cat. Where could she be? Is she outside in the wet, all alone? Let's try taking a look, suggests the girl's mother. On go the girl's rain boots, coat and umbrella as she steps outside into the rainy world. While looking for her cat, she meets all sorts of animals, some who like the rain and some who do not. When the girl returns home, a lovely surprise awaits her.

This unique picture book comes from a veteran children's author and giv
Katelyn Patterson
Aug 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
The illustrations are bright and beautiful. There are two depths to the text and illustrations. It could be read simply as a story about a little girl who goes searching around the yard for her kitty during a rain storm. She encounters several different kinds of animals and insects while she searches. But there is also factual information about how different animals behave during a rain storm. Finally, at the end it is suggested that the reader go back and look at the illustration of the entire ...more
KimBear
"What makes a duck waterproof? Where do butterflies hang out to stay dry? What serves as a built-in umbrella for a squirrel? Created especially for younger readers, here's a unique title that's part mystery, part science, and all curiosity-inspiring fun!"

This is a fun book that you can use two ways...as a quick read or as a non-fiction book...both are geared to sharing with younger children. The main part of the story is done in rhyme, but there are also little snippets of fun facts about each o
Erin Buhr
Dec 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
What is rain? Do cats like rain? Do ducks like rain? Do butterflies? If your child is filled with seemingly endless questions, this book is for them. There are two layers to this warm, rainy day book. On each page are a couple sentences that carry the story of a girl and her mom watching through the window on a rainy day. Also on each page is a question and a lengthier answer. These sidebars address simple questions about rain and how animals react to rain with preschool friendly language. Infor ...more
Connie Anderson
What a wonderful book! It talks about how weather works to create rain in a language children can understand. The little girl asks where her kitty went in the rain. Then, the book talks about: where butterflies go and why, the different amounts of rain and what squirrels do in it, little birds, ducks....... I even learned a thing or two that I have wondered about for years, like why worms come out of the ground when it rains (to enjoy smuggling in the rain). This is truly educational and fun!!!!
Melanie
A young girl is worried that her cat is missing and it has started to rain. While she is in her backyard trying to find her kitty, she discovers many other creatures dealing with the weather.

The story is told in simple rhyming text, usually one or 2 lines. On the side of each 2-page spread is a simple scientific explanation of each page. For example on the page with the mama duck and ducklings it explains that ducks spread a layer of oil on their feathers that keeps them warm and dry.

This book w
Bekka
May 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Thanks to Edelweiss and Blue Apple Books for early access to this title.

Very cute book! I liked the illustrations; they remind me of those done in earlier times, like in the 70s. The storyline is very simple, but the author uses this to teach some lessons on the lives of backyard creatures. A fun book for parents and children to read together, and talk about what they like to do in the rain.
RC
Jun 15, 2015 rated it liked it
This book is a simple concept, explain rain and continue a narrative through poetic couplets. The realization of this concept is a little disjointed. A little girl is looking for her cat in a rainstorm. This narrative is simple, sweet and told in rhyming couplets. However, there is a parallel text that is explaining rain and why certain animals do or don't like it.

The illustrations are interesting and cute, but are not enough to bring the whole book together.
Earl
Jun 21, 2015 rated it liked it
I was avoiding this book for the longest time since I thought it was going to be a cute-sy book about a cat. (I don't like animals.) Even though it was, it was also about nature, which I don't particularly like either. What is rain? Which animals and insects like the rain? These and other questions are answered side by side with the story (told in verse) of a girl looking for her pet cat. Classroom activities are included in the back. I enjoy any book that can mix fun with facts.
Amy Holland
Popularity/appeal rating: 3

Quality rating: 3

In a one-sentence nutshell:
I liked the illustrations, but it felt like a book that was written specifically to adhere to Common Core standards. Plus readers never find out where kitty actually went! My husband (who reads picture books to me when I browbeat him into it) and I were mad about that. It's the whole freaking point of the book!!

Sandy Brehl
This is a charming example of what I label as "parallel text" format, in which a fictional story (in this case a rhyming one) is used opposite a page of nonfiction/informational text. This one is simple and offers text aimed at comparable audiences. (Some have very simple/highly technical alternates.) This book adds the last page challenge of sending readers back through the book to identify places the kitty could have been keeping dry.
Jillian
May 16, 2015 rated it liked it
An "ok" entry from Harriet Ziefert - the poem was good (if a little wobbly in places) and the side text was interesting. But I didn't "get" the mystery, and there wasn't a clear answer (say, a tail poking out of someplace) to the question.

I *did* like the science-y bits at the end, about observing and comparing and drawing!
Heather
Aug 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Great retro-inspired illustrations that are bright in spite of the rain. I think both kids and adults are interested by the concept of where animals go when it rains (at least, I know I am), so the tidbits about how squirrels, butterflies, and other animals adapt to rainstorms were fascinating. Its merit as a readaloud is what made me dock it a point--it would be a little choppy to do.
Marylou
This was a sweet childrens' story with gorgeous illustrations and a nice story to accompany them!

Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book from Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.
Britt
Feb 19, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: storytime
On one side, it's a simple rhyming book exploring the outside during a rainstorm- discovering why some animals do (or don't!) like the rainy wet.
On the other side, there is a nonfiction description of what's going on with the animals or outside that makes the animals and rain mesh.
Decent to learn from or for a read-a-loud rainy day storytime.
Cheryl
The illustrations in this were lovely. Two short lines in poem form ask questions about what animals do in the rain. The answers are on the same spread. It's geared towards young children. If you read the answers, the verse and continuity of the questions are lost. I didn't really see where kitty stayed in the rain, I'm sorry to say. I think a young child would enjoy having it read to them.
Kendra
Jul 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Love that there is simple text for reading out loud to children who can't sit long and additional text on each spread for those wanting more information. A topic I haven't seen explored before and gorgeous illustrations.
Carrie Charley Brown
Although this book contains a short story, the nonfiction side panels overpower it. Therefore, I would call it more nonfiction than fiction. Kids will enjoy learning how animals fend for themselves in the rain.
Emely Magana
Feb 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
I chose this book because I love books that involve animals, or pets. This book had a lot of information about animals that can live in the rain without being affected by it. It would be a fun book when learning about the seasons or rain.
Trish
Jan 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: je, my-favs, 2015
I really liked this book. It is an easy read that explains things to kids.
Edward Sullivan
Apr 24, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
An engaging, enjoyable mix of fiction and nonfiction.
Alyssa Tabor
May 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Cute! Great for storytime!
Diane
Jun 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
A good book to use with students who are learning the difference between fiction and nonfiction.

• Mice
  • Ming Lo Moves the Mountain
  • Bear In Pink Underwear
  • Bear in Underwear
  • Who's Coming for Dinner, Little Hoo?
  • Little Hoo Gets the Wiggles Out
  • Blue on Blue
  • Daisy Comes Home
  • The Water Hole
  • The Cow Loves Cookies
Harriet Ziefert grew up in North Bergen, New Jersey, where she attended the local schools. She graduated from Smith College, then received a Masters degree in Education from New York University.

For many years, Ziefert was an elementary school teacher. She taught most grades from kindergarten to fifth grade. "I liked it," she said, but she stopped teaching when she had her own sons. When her childr

News & Interviews