Start by marking “Miracle Girls” as Want to Read:
Miracle Girls

Miracle Girls

When Cee-Cee closes her eyes, she can suddenly see all the missing girls in the Mohawk Valley. It's part of the message: they are buried in wheat fields and stashed behind train tracks, or sprawled at the bottom of the canal. Could have been you, one dead girl says, smart-mouthed. But instead it was me! A live one tied up somewhere in a basement cocks her head: But, guess ...more
Published November 4th 2014 by Engine Books (first published October 13th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Miracle Girls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Miracle Girls

M.B. Caschetta
Jul 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: books-i-wrote
It took me 15 yrs, so the stars are for finishing!
Jennifer S. Brown
Feb 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book was really unexpected for me. I picked it up because I've seen the author's blog, but it's not the type of story I normally read. That said, the first couple of chapters were a little hard for me to get my bearings, but then I ended up reading the rest of the book in a single day. CeeCee is a fascinating character--a young girl who has visions--and the nuns were wonderful real people--not the caricatures you often see in popular culture. The story is quite sad and tragic, yet it's hand ...more
Lauren Albert
Jan 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
It is always hard to read a book by someone you know. I'm an honest reviewer and, if I know someone and I don't like their book, I will simply not put a review. I have no qualms about rating and reviewing Miracle Girls. It is beautifully written, compassionate and compelling. I started it on the train home last night and finished it this morning--I had to make myself put it down last night so I could get some sleep. I can highly recommend it.
Kelsey Miller
Dec 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
I met M.B. in a writing group in Northampton, MA when she was already formulating Miracle Girls. So, yes, I may be a bit biased.

From the beginning, I was drawn in by Cee-Cee and her family and the massive amount of drama they endured. The writing let you imagine exactly the scene the characters were living without being over indulgent.

I did find it a bit difficult to keep track of who was who and what the disparate agendas were. By the end, the reader knows who the KEY figures are, but the perip
Candy Sparks
May 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: finished
I received this book before it was even published. Lucky for you guys it will be on bookshelves come November 2014.

I lucked out that I followed the author’s blog about how much this story was rejected by publicists. I find it amazing that it was even rejected so many times.

The first few pages of this book is hard to read. I felt like the author was skipping parts and I would have to re-read the last few sentences to make sense. The book finally smoothed out which lead to me falling in love wit
Allyson Stallman
Jan 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015-books
I was skeptical about reading this book, but it was a contender for Goodreads top books, so I decided to give it a try. I have to say that I was surprised by the book, in terms of the overall message. Not being Catholic, nor exactly Christian (more Buddhist, philosophically) I was worried that the story would come off as being preachy but in the end it handled the situation of abuse and the LGBT community wonderfully and with a positive message of approval. Something often lacking from those who ...more
Judy
Dec 12, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2014-challenge
I saw this author do a reading at our local independent book store. She is talented and personable. I'm not sure how to rate the book. I struggled through the quirkiness of the first half and almost quit in the 3rd part. The final 1/4 finally came together for me.
If I see a book discussion I will join in to see if anyone else felt the same. (Also had a few typos which is a pet peeve of mine in a published book.)
Evan Kingston
Jun 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful and brave, MIracle Girls explores religious and spiritual experiences a lot of literary fiction shies away from. With dynamic characters, a compelling plot, and strong setting, it doesn't offer any easy or formulaic answers but still somehow manages to inspire.
Denise Tognarina
Jan 02, 2015 rated it it was ok
For me, this book lacked character development and plot. I felt that the storyline was even throughout with no real climax and a lackluster ending. The concept of the book was quite unique - I just don't think it was well executed.
Sally Bellerose
Nov 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Love this author and this book. Yup, she's a friend, but hey, she wrote a great book that you would really enjoy - edgy and full of heart. Miracle Girls is getting great reviews.
Rick
Dec 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
This novel is powerful enough to restore one's
faith in people, if not society or religion:
a moving first effort with a wonderful heroine.
Gail Thomas
Jan 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
A truly original, beautifully written novel -- heartbreaking, haunting, and ultimately hopeful. The entire Bianco family and particularly Cee-Cee are unforgettable.
Sarah McGowan
Nov 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Miracle Girls is a perfect mix of magical realism, darkness, and spirituality. At first it was difficult to understand what was going on, but once I got through a few chapters, I began to unwind this darkly beautiful story. Just a heads up: parts of the story are pretty disturbing. But I couldn't put this book down and highly recommend it.
Melissa
Dec 18, 2014 rated it liked it
I won this book on Goodreads.com as part of a giveaway they hosted.

I was a bit lost during the first 50 or so pages of this story, not really sure what was going on, how the characters were being built, or what the actual story may be about. With that said, because it is a relatively short story and I was already about a quarter of the way through, I continued reading. Luckily the story seems to tie the ends together and is something that is intriguing and compelling. While all of the mechanics
Charles Carter
Nov 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
From her rating, I see MB is a shameless self-promoter!
A very engaging story about a very engaging 10- year-old. Not a Catholic, but I was very appreciative of comments by Garry Wills about the mystery he found embraced in his religion. Some of that comes through in this story and especially in Cee Cee's character.
The writing and dialogue are sometimes disjointed (for lack of a better word) but not particularly demanding; and it really heightens the sense of a 10- year-old's experience of her w
Mel
Nov 04, 2015 rated it it was ok
2.5***
I picked up this book from my library's recommended reading shelf hoping to be at least momentarily charmed into believing that miracles still can occur in our modern world. While I found Cee Cee the nine-year old main subject and potential visionary to be a fascinating mix of wisdom and naivete, I found it hard to follow this plot and was ultimately slightly more discouraged with humanity today than when I began the book!
Terri
Jan 23, 2015 rated it liked it
I picked up this book since I live in Central NY and a lot of the places the author mentions I am familiar with. However, I was conflicted over how to rate this book. I struggled through the first half or so and the only thing that kept me going was that I was familiar with the settings in the book. The last third of the book finally brought everything together. Overall I wasn't really thrilled with the book.
Alex Myers
May 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
The start really drew me in, and I loved the way that faith worked its way through this narrative in so many different forms - religious faith, secular humanist faith, faith in self... I wanted more from the "supporting" characters, many of whom had tantalizing details or aspects present but weren't, for me, fully fleshed out. Otherwise, though, a real joy to read.
Tiffany
Dec 17, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: first-to-read
I received this book as an ARC. Throughout the first third of the book, I had no idea what was going on. Then I started to get into it and enjoy it, and then the last couple chapters, I went back to not really knowing what was going on. Caschetta had some beautiful passages in her book and she's very talented, but I just don't think this particular book made a whole lot of sense.

Julie
Jul 31, 2016 rated it liked it
I liked the premise of this book. The general storyline was interesting, but I often found the writing style confusing. Especially when CeeCee had visions, I often had to flip back and reread thinking I missed something.
Kate
May 28, 2015 rated it it was ok
Not a case of show/don't tell. I felt like this story was going on in the author's head and they forgot to write facts, details, connecting sentences or thoughts. Or am I too simple? Hard to hold interest, too many questions.
Carolyn

• Ban en Banlieue
  • In Open Spaces
  • Yabo
  • The Crime Writer
  • The Worst Years of Your Life: Stories for the Geeked-Out, Angst-Ridden, Lust-Addled, and Deeply Misunderstood Adolescent in All of Us
  • Toxic Men: 10 Ways to Identify, Deal With, and Heal from the Men Who Make Your Life Miserable
  • Soft Spots: A Marine's Memoir of Combat and Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder
  • Love Slave
  • The Other Room
  • My Awesome Place: Autobiography of Cheryl Burke
  • Hunter of the Dead
  • Almonds and Raisins
  • My Life as an Ice Cream Sandwich
  • What Happened Here
  • Shadow of the Colossus (Boss Fight Books, #10)
  • How Come the Best Clues Are Always in the Garbage? (Stevie Diamond Mystery #1)
Mary Beth Caschetta is a recipient of the W.K. Rose Fellowship for Emerging Artists, the Sherwood Anderson Foundation Fiction Award, and the Seattle Review Prize for fiction. Miracle Girls won the 2015 USA Best Book Award for Literary Fiction, a 2014 Gold Medal from the Independent Publishers Award in Spiritual Fiction, and a 2014 IndieFAB Best Book of the Year Award in LGBT Fiction. Miracle Girls ...more