Start by marking “The Treason of Isengard (The Lord of the Rings, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Treason of Isengard (The Lord of the Rings, #3)

The Treason of Isengard

(The Lord of the Rings: Seven Book Editions #3)

Continuing the story of The Hobbit, this seven-volume paperback boxed set of Tolkien's epic masterpiece, The Lord of the Rings is a collection to treasure.

Sauron, the Dark Lord, has gathered to him all the Rings of Power; the means by which he intends to rule Middle-earth. All he lacks in his plans for dominion is the One Ring -- the ring that rules them all -- which has
Hardcover, Millennium, 252 pages
Published 1999 by Houghton Mifflin

To ask other readers questions about The Treason of Isengard, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Treason of Isengard

Shawn Birss
Jun 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction-2017
I will dare suggest that no book has ever been simultaneously so richly fantastic while also wholly real as The Lord of the Rings. This story feels like spending time with real people. And I love them. I mean, I feel as though I really know, and really love them.

I couldn't imagine the book improving after the first part of Fellowship. Yet, this volume, Book 1 of Two Towers, is the best of the three so far. I could hardly put it down. Just as with the other two, I was wholly arrested by it, thin
Tony Calder
Oct 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Whereas the first two volumes of this set split Fellowship of the Ring into roughly even parts, this volume and the next one split The Two Towers but the split is based on the story rather than length, which leads to the third book being significantly longer than the fourth.

After the splitting of the fellowship at the end of The Ring Goes South, The Treason of Isengard follows the events surrounding Merry and Pippin from the end of the last book through to the aftermath of the battle at Isengard
Tõnu Vahtra
Nov 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fellowship departs
Ents come into play
Where are Frodo and Sam?
Gandalf returns
There seems to be less conflict within smaller teams.
Legolas and Gimli seem to be best friends since part2, there was more competition between them in the movie.

“Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.”

You get immersed into the story and the book ends too soon, can't wait for the next part.
David
Aug 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Looking forward to the summer being over so we can start book three. Hoom hom.
Angry Wombat
Jan 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
And now for something completely different!

This picks up from the breaking of the fellowship, but instead of getting Sam and Frodo rowing across the river, we get the last stand (and redemption?) of Boromir and end up following the rest of the Fellowship - Merry and Pippin in the clutches of the Orcs, and Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli on their wild chase across Rohan.

This is the first time we really get the PoV of someone other than a hobbit, and it is nice to see how Aragorn is torn by his duty an
I'mogén
Apr 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
I found the first book to The Two Towers much harder to get through. Although this was the book that seemed to have most of the intense action so far, with the taking down of Isengard and the rousing of the Ents, the story was taking a much more slower pace to get to the intenser scenes, with a lot more talking parts that seemed to sort of just blur into nonsense to me at times.
Although I say all this, when I was really into the story it was amazing. I got to meet some new characters, like the E
Brendan Childs
Nov 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I read this book because it is the next book in the Lord of the rings series and because I have read the previous two. The category that this book completes is a book made into a film.

The parts of this book that I liked is that it finally gets on with getting to a major part of the story (the fight against Isengard). Another bit I liked is that it is more action packed than the last two books making it much more interesting and even with all this it still manages to keep track of the storyline.
Bruno Kulić
Dec 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, reread, audiobook
I think this is where I'll stop my reread. Surprisingly, I found this one to be my favourite, but it isn't perfect: The first chapter should've been in the last book (another improvement of the movies). And the second and third chapter would work better if they were mixed and if we switched viewpoints to check in a little with the hobbits and then return to the trio; it would flow better then getting the entire story of one group and then go through that same stuff with the other.
And I'm always
Book Bite Reviews
Jun 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own-it, audiobook
If it weren't for the Ents the Orcs would've done more damage to the hope of Gandalf and the others. Such as it were in this half we hadn't heard or seen Frodo and Sam , only Pippin and Merry were safe in the safety of Treebeard, and Gimli Aragorn and Legolas went hunting for Orcs when they encountered Gandalf, alive after he went through the fires in the Cave. He was now Gandalf the White, just as Saruman was.

With news from Eomir Gandalf and Aragorn and company sought King Theoden and his army
Alyssa
Jul 06, 2014 rated it liked it
Actual rating: 3.5 stars.

I'm quickly learning that I hate reading battle scenes. The Helm's Deep chapter was painful. Other than that, I really enjoyed this book. I liked learning more about Sauruman's character (there is more information than what we receive in the movie), and I loved the Ents.

Also - there is more evidence in this book that Legolas and Gimli really were lovers. What can I say? I ship it!
Nina
Jul 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: uk-and-ireland
My favourite part of the story so far. So much Hobbit, so much Legolas, Gimli and Aragorn. Score! Some of the names confuse me though - so many character and place names, so many different names for the same town. A bit confusing, but exciting story. I have a feeling the next bit is going to be about Sam and Frodo, and I am not as excited about that, but lets see how it goes...
Alexandria
Aug 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016, 2014-2018
My favourite bit so far, as fast paced and action packed as I think the book is likely to get - it's style is entirely is own completely unique - the pace is not negative in any way and is infact very relaxing and poetic
Chris Lemmerman
Dec 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012-books-read
Much more fun than the movies at this point, seeing Saruman getting his butt handed to him was great. Not really looking forward to an entire book about Gollum, though.
Nathan
to come.
Leila
Aug 02, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
The trilogy is worth reading once, preferably when one is very young.
Andrew Teale
Aug 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bah! This should have the same cover as the first two parts...
Krishna N
Jun 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Well so far so good, Gandalf the White finally arrived to save us :)
Niko Gruber
Jim
Aug 15, 2012
Peter
Aug 08, 2018

• Norby: Robot For Hire (Norby, #3-4)
  • L'Échiquier du mal, Tome 2
  • Keulakuva (Ajan pyörä, #16)
  • Le bûcher d’un roi (Le trône de fer, #13)
  • The Big Cats and Their Fossil Relatives: An Illustrated Guide to Their Evolution and Natural History
  • L'éveil des eaux dormantes (Les aventuriers de la mer, #6)
  • The Complete Aubrey/Maturin Novels (5 Volumes)
  • The Practical Princess and Other Liberating Fairy Tales
  • Ouragan
  • Thuggin In Miami (The Family Is Made : Part 1)
  • Sherlock Holmes: The Complete Novels and Stories, Volume II
  • The Tree of Life (The Mysteries of Osiris, #1)
  • Roger Zelazny's To Rule in Amber (The Dawn of Amber, #3)
  • Journeymage (The Spellmonger, #6)
  • A Noite dos Elfos (A Trilogia dos Elfos, #2)
  • La Citadelle Hyponéros
John Ronald Reuel Tolkien, CBE was an English writer, poet, WWI veteran (a First Lieutenant in the Lancashire Fusiliers, British Army), philologist, and university professor, best known as the author of the high fantasy classic works The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings .

Tolkien was Rawlinson and Bosworth Professor of Anglo-Saxon at Oxford from 1925 to 1945, and Merton Professor of English lang

The Lord of the Rings: Seven Book Editions (7 books)
  • The Ring Sets Out (The Lord of the Rings, #1)
  • The Ring Goes South (The Lord of the Rings, #2)
  • The Ring Goes East (The Lord of the Rings, #4)
  • The War of the Ring (The History of Middle-Earth, #8)
  • The End of the Third Age (The Lord of the Rings, #6)
  • Der Herr der Ringe. Anhänge und Register