Start by marking “Necropolis (Whyborne & Griffin, #4)” as Want to Read:
Necropolis (Whyborne & Griffin, #4)

Necropolis (Whyborne & Griffin #4)

4.36  ·  Rating Details ·  2,019 Ratings  ·  284 Reviews
Introverted scholar Percival Endicott Whyborne has spent the last few months watching his lover, Griffin Flaherty, come to terms with the rejection of his adoptive family. So when an urgent telegram from Christine summons them to Egypt, Whyborne is reluctant to risk the fragile peace they’ve established. Until, that is, a man who seems as much animal as human tries to murd ...more
Published May 5th 2014 by Jordan L. Hawk (first published May 4th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Necropolis, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Necropolis

Susan
Mar 24, 2014 Susan rated it really liked it

If you haven't read Jordan L. Hawk's Whyborne & Griffin series...why the heck not?

I LOVE this series so much.  Percival Endicott Whyborne is just one of my favorite characters in books today.  He's funny and unfortunate, grouchy and sweetly uncertain...and I love reading about him and his love, Griffin Flaherty. They make me HAPPY!!!!! For someone who used to read neither historicals nor paranormal books, the W&G series has converted me.

Necropolis is book 4 in the series and tha
K.J. Charles
I love this series. I love this installment. Hot, scary, vividly written, terrific setting, wonderful development of the ongoing story, delightful characters. I am *consumed* with jealousy at how Jordan handles ongoing series. I think she must plan them or something. Cow.

Obviously, having co-written a crossover story Remnant: A Caldwell & Feximal/Whyborne & Griffin Mystery involving these characters, I am not what you might call impartial. But the reason I'm not impartial is that I flip
Ingela
Written September 7, 2014

3.7 Stars - a tremendous adrenaline rush among the mummies in Egypt

Book #4

Necropolis is the fourth part in the adventurous, and often spooky scary, historical Whyborne & Griffin series by Jordan L. Hawk.

descriptiondescriptiondescriptiondescription

A week later..
I'm glad and happy. ~ This was a always a well made, exciting and a good continuation of an engaging love story. Possibly more of adventure than romance book, but anyway nice reading.

***********************************************

The former Pinkerton D
Vivian
Nov 28, 2014 Vivian rated it liked it
Lon Chaney is ready for his resurrection.

Quality entertainment in this W&G Monster of the Week episode in EGYPT! Hurrah for an exotic locale, which Whyborne being the consummate city boy, means a dreadful subtraction in the creature comforts.
West Virginia marked the farthest I’d ever strayed from Widdershins. I’d hated the heat and mosquitos, but at least we’d had a hotel and other civilized amenities. What if Christine expected me to sleep in a tent?
Poor Ival, no one seems to care that
Rhys Ford
Apr 12, 2014 Rhys Ford rated it it was amazing
I have always been honest about my love for Jordan L. Hawk’s writing. She’s delivered fantastical and well crafted stories time and time again. In Necropolis, the fourth in the Whyborne & Griffin series, Hawk once again shows why she is a master of her craft.

Simply put, she uses the RIGHT words, threads them together so the whole is so much greater than the sum of its parts. Or rather to go with the “true” phrasing; The whole is other than the sum of the parts.

I think Hawk’s books are in fac
Sofia

This was a very welcome instalment in this series for me. I needed to unwind after some heavy reads and what better way to do that then with Why and Griff et la belle companie….

I had
Egypt

Camels

Ghuls

Daemons

Mummies

all wrapped into one. Yes, a fun read for me.

On a more serious note, I liked how the relationship between Why and Griff continues to develop. Slowly but surely, love that. I also enjoyed the developments on the Christine side. Yeah go girl go.

I want to thank my buddy rea
Jenni Lea
Aug 08, 2015 Jenni Lea rated it it was amazing

Whyborne and Griffin are back and better than ever! This is one of my favorites in the series. I love anything to do with Egypt and I love anything to do with Ival so when you put them together? Well, that makes JL a happy, happy person! I loved seeing a stronger side of Ival and I adore seeing Griffin get jealous. He's so growly! The story was, as always, fast paced and highly entertaining. I wish she would write more of these two.
Tara♥

I’m pretty sure I’ve said this after each one of these but here I go again. This one is my favourite. For realz this time.

‘Necropolis’ had it all going on. From the first sentence to the last I was totally sucked in. I mean how could I not be? You take Whyborne who complained about going to West Virginia in ‘Threshold’ and send him to Egypt. To sleep in a tent!

Taking Whyborne out of his comfort zone is always hilarious. He is so not a people person and he really likes his routine, he is startin
Isabel
This series is absolutely amazing!!! This book has so many things that I love: mystery, fantasy, fabulous scenarios, history, great characters and most of all, a beautiful and honest love!

Whyborne and Griffin have my whole heart! Their relationship is growing and becoming stable... They can't imagine their life without each other. Insecurities disappear, fears of losing the other vanished, and their love is strong and amazing!

“You’re the world to me.”

Once again, I have to mention Christine! She
Vanessa North
Mar 24, 2014 Vanessa North rated it really liked it
This book was positively full of gross, icky monsters.

The last two books have relied heavily, even hinged upon, TSTL storylines, and this one was refreshingly devoid of that. This story was very much more a mystery/adventure story than a romance, as has been the pattern in this series. The big twist was clear to me very, very early in the book, which might have spoiled a little bit of my fun, but this is part of my frustration with the mystery genre, and not necessarily a reflection on Ms. Hawk'
Bitchie!!! on books
When I think of Whyborne and his fez, all I can see is this:

This was, once again, a fantastic ride! This time, Hawk takes us all the way to Egypt, where we find ghuls and a demon and long lost sister (view spoiler), mummies an ancient Egyptian queen, and magic, and thrills and chills! But through it all, we have Percival and Griffin, who just shine so bright, no matter what is happening around them. I think these two are fast becoming my favorite couple, and I can't wa
♣ Irish Smurfétté ♣
Review On Prism Book Alliance, where the Pharaohs Run Amok!

Ahh, Ival and Grif. They’re now a year into their cohabitation and enjoying it greatly. It isn’t long before the next cause for adventure becomes clear: they’re needed in Egypt, Christine having sent a short and nearly desperate sounding telegram, imploring them to come and help on her latest dig, her first as leader. So what’s a Whyborne to do? Make his way to Cairo, of course, with Griffin accompanying his dear in order to help their f
Natalia
Oct 13, 2014 Natalia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Re-read December 2016
Still amazing!!!
Meags
4 Stars

In this gripping installment, Whyborne and Griffin travel to Egypt, where Whyborne finds himself in a great battle of wills against a possibly possessed camel that has set his eyes (and mouth) on Whyborne’s newly acquired and spectacularly fashionable fez.

...Okay, maybe that wasn’t the main plot, but it did happen!

What actually went down once Whyborne and Griffin arrived in Egypt (where they’d been summoned for help by the always fabulous Christine), involved a lot of ancient Egyptian re
Ami
When I was younger, Agatha Christie's books were one of my constant companies. I loved them so much, which probably built my love over mystery books over time. And I had always loved it when Ms. Christie set the stories in Egypt. There was something grand and magical about the place that made me yearn to have an adventure of my own (although probably without the murder)

So with "Necropolis", the fourth book in Whyborne & Griffin series set in Egypt, it just brought the nostalgic feeling back.
¸. • * ° *❧Gwen❧•°**★❧ •°**★
Escapism Perfection!

Smexin, Imperfection!

And, still Griffin and Ival...and Daisy were awesome!

The Book, IMO...

This was a wonderful fictional get away. Man oh man, what a wonderful journey with Daisy and my guys!

I love the way the romance and the magic comes alive in this book! This book was great, it had LOT'S of Indian Jones Adventure and touches of sweetness. At times, this was so adventurous I felt a wee bit out of breath.

But,...

what made me stop and catch my breath, was the sweetness
LiveYourLife BuyTheBook
May 02, 2014 LiveYourLife BuyTheBook rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kapow, dianne, favorites
°•○★5 Stars ~ KAPOW!★○•°
A "Live Your Life, Buy The Book" Review

An archaeologist, a private detective, and a comparative philologist-cum-sorcerer walk into a tomb…and what follows is plenty of hair raising, rollicking, hold on to your hat action that prevails in epic Whyborne & Griffin form.

My fellow readers know that I harbor massive, undying love for this series. I feel as though the characters of Whyborne, Griffin and Christine have become personal friends. I know many of you feel the same
Em
I'm really enjoying this series and always look forward to reading more about the adventurers of Percival and the love of his life Griffin. Whyborne receives a telegram from his good friend Christine asking for assistance on an ancient archaeological site she's working on in Egypt. Whyborne's not really made for travel but thankfully Griffin's on hand to take care of the organising and basically make sure things tick along.

After a long and very tedious journey Whyborne and Griffin arrive in Egy
Mel
Feb 02, 2015 Mel rated it really liked it
Shelves: genre-sff
It was fun! Again! I love this series, the characters, the suspense, and Necropolis was entertaining and lovely.

I had missed Christine in the last book—because she ROCKS—and this book brings her back in full force. I’d love to read a short from her perspective, I think. That would be really something :-)

Griffin and Whyborne are an amazing couple:
I’ve cast my lot with yours, remember? Where you go, I go.
They are swoon-worthy. I like how they’ve grown in their relationship. You can really see a di
Misty

Another spectacular, great-fun, action-packed, deliciously horrific adventure that kept me captivated, amazed and breathless. More please !!

Heidi
Percival Endicott Whyborne and Griffin Flaherty have won me over! In Necropolis the fourth instalment in this series, Whyborne & Griffin journey to Egypt to face a legendary sorceress who has risen from the dead.

Plenty of action, lots of adventure, a bit of mystery and intrigue - what's not to like!

4 stars
Elizabetta

Holy caravansary, Batman! Our intrepid heroes, Whyborne and Griffin, are adventuring in Egypt, chasing down more bad guys, and they are in rare form. Not even getting caught in a fierce, in-the-middle-of-nowhere black-out sandstorm can stop them, or keep them from getting down and dirty…

“We lay in the darkness, listening to the sand on the canvas [tent], the moan of the wind around the ropes, as our breathing evened out… “Relaxed now”? Griffin teased.

You gotta do what you gotta do. And that’s
ᴥ Irena ᴥ

Whyborne is forced to travel to Egypt this time. After a bizarre assassin tried to kill him at the museum, he and Griffin realize they have to go and help Christine.

In the first book Whyborne learned the secret name of fire; the second taught him the use of wind; in Stormhaven he learned about water more than he wished; where better to learn about earth than Egypt.
Even though the villains in this story won't surprise you, the story itself is, as always, wonderful. There are those who are trying
Gaby
Oct 06, 2014 Gaby rated it really liked it
There are books that are a pleasure to read. This is one of them.

Ever since I started the Series I loved both MCs. I adore Griffin with all of me, and Whyborne keeps taking my heart with him every single time. I guess it's probably because I deeply relate to the guy. His insecurities, his rather shy self, his being awkward... His need to protect his loved ones, and do whatever it takes to do it. Those things remind me of myself sometimes, so even though I don't always agree with him, I understa
Kaje Harper
Apr 14, 2014 Kaje Harper rated it really liked it
This fourth book of the series is another excellent mix of action-adventure, paranormal, historical detail and romance. I enjoyed seeing Christine have her moments in the spotlight, and anticipate more developments for her in the next book. There are also some interesting hints about Whyborne's abilities with magic, and his progression towards true sorcery, that may lead in complicating directions in the next installment.

This book is a bit of a plateau in the relationship of the MCs. There are t
Chelsea
Ew. This was gross, it's not bad enough having people who eat people, but people (sort of) who eat dead rotting corpses *shudders* yuck! This series is so deliciously (terrible pun) scary and disturbing and even though I can easily guess who is the bad guy quite early on now, I still get super nervous waiting to see how it unfolds, which is what I love about this series.

I love Whyborne's general obliviousness of normal social situations, he is the epitome of the absent minded professor. His reac
MishyJo
4.5 Stars. This was my favorite yet.
Nerea
Jun 09, 2016 Nerea rated it liked it

If you like Egypt history with adventure expeditions, you will love it!

But sadly I'm not a big fan of Egypt pharaohs, gods, or mythology. So I have been a bit lost in this one. I feel we get too much information in some parts and not sure if was relevant for the story. So I disconnect a bit and lost the track of the plot some times.

So yes, this one is my least favorite of the series by now :/
Anja
Jan 01, 2017 Anja rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My darlings ❤❤❤

Audio re-read.

My opinion hasn't changed...

A few months back Le moi wrote: "Awesome. That's what this book is made of. Best installment in this series so far (apart from Whiddershins, that first installment will always hold a special place in my heart ❤).
It's not a perfect book. The editing could've been a little better, and the villain thing was painfully obvious. But apart from that? Pure bliss.
I loved the setting and that Indy Jones/The Mummy/Quatermain feeling (yeah, I know Kin
BR Sofia, Bev and Ingela - ...August 29, 2014 115 17 Sep 07, 2014 02:50AM
Where to purchase/pre-order? 2 9 May 01, 2014 02:35PM
  • Remnant: A Caldwell & Feximal/Whyborne & Griffin Mystery (The Secret Casebook of Simon Feximal, #3; Whyborne & Griffin, #3.5)
  • Spook Squad (PsyCop #7)
  • Beguiled (Enlightenment, #2)
  • Another Place in Time
  • Don't Let Go (Tyack & Frayne, #3)
6519692
Jordan L. Hawk grew up in the wilds of North Carolina, where she was raised on stories of haints and mountain magic by her bootlegging granny and single mother. After using a silver knife in the light of a full moon to summon her true love, she turned her talents to spinning tales. She weaves together couples who need to fall in love, then throws in some evil sorcerers and undead just to make sure ...more
More about Jordan L. Hawk...

Whyborne & Griffin (10 books)
  • Widdershins (Whyborne & Griffin, #1)
  • Threshold (Whyborne & Griffin, #2)
  • Stormhaven (Whyborne & Griffin, #3)
  • Bloodline (Whyborne & Griffin, #5)
  • Hoarfrost (Whyborne & Griffin, #6)
  • Maelstrom (Whyborne & Griffin, #7)
  • Fallow (Whyborne & Griffin, #8)
  • Undertow (Whyborne & Griffin, #8.5)
  • Draakenwood  (Whyborne & Griffin #9)

“Oh honestly, Whyborne, don't put up such a fuss. I swear, you men have your entire egos tied to the functioning of a few inches of flesh."
"More than a few," Griffin said with a smirk.
I buried my face in my hands and wished the mummy's curse were real and might strike me down immediately.”
1 likes