Start by marking “Free of Charge: Giving and Forgiving in a Culture Stripped of Grace” as Want to Read:
Free of Charge: Giving and Forgiving in a Culture Stripped of Grace

Free of Charge: Giving and Forgiving in a Culture Stripped of Grace

We are at our human best when we give and forgive. But we live in a world in which it makes little sense to do either one. In our increasingly graceless culture, where can we find the motivation to give? And how do we learn to forgive when forgiving seems counterintuitive or even futile? A deeply personal yet profoundly thoughtful book, Free of Charge explores these questi ...more
Published January 19th 2006 by Zondervan

To ask other readers questions about Free of Charge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Free of Charge

Start your review of Free of Charge: Giving and Forgiving in a Culture Stripped of Grace
Andrew
Jul 06, 2007 rated it liked it
this review first appeared on [http://intraspace.blogspot.com]

this is a book that i randomly picked up after anna brought it home from the library. looked pretty interesting and was the archbishop of canterbury's official lent 2006 book - who could resist?...

miroslav volf is apparently a fairly well-known theologian who teaches at yale. this book covers the twin themes of giving and forgiving. the thing that struck me most in the book was volf's description of the common ways that people view Go
David
Miroslav Volf is one of my favorite writers. His book Exclusion and Embrace might be in my top ten reads of all time, and his work comparing Christian and Muslim understandings of God (Allah: A Christian Response) is fantastic. So I came to this book expecting a lot and I won't say it disappointed, but it was different then what I expected.

Exclusion and Embrace was a heavy theological work that cut to the heart of Christian faith, with brilliant insights into Jesus' death and how we ought to liv
Kipi
Apr 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone who believes in God
I do love to read, and I love to pass along my love of books, but there are very few books that I whole-heartedly recommend. Miraslov Volf’s Free of Charge: Giving and Forgiving in a Culture Stripped of Grace is one I would not only recommend, I would encourage every person who believes in God to read.

Volf is a professor of theology at Yale Divinity School, but this is not an intimidating read. Each of the two sections, giving and forgiving, begins with discussing how God does each. He reminds u
Justin
Jul 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: religion
I'm confused by my own response to this one. For stretches, I found it quite dull. Then I'd be really into it for a bit. In both cases, I was highlighting more than the typical number of passages. When it was insightful, it was really so, but it wasn't an exciting read, despite being smart and often challenging.

The first half of the book, on giving, is a nice bit of Christian philosophy on giving and the gift. It both swats away the work of thinkers like Derrida and Caputo with a quick stroke an
Darcy
Jul 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: theology, favorites
Simply put: this is an amazing work. While I may still consider Exclusion and Embrace his most important work, Volf's writing on forgiveness and giving is his most accessible and, from a pastoral perspective, critical. One will find much here that is helpful and that will provoke deep thought--and perhaps some life-change. I have referred the book to many and think it will be one of those books I have a hard time keeping on my shelf as I have already replaced it once!

So if you are wrestling with
Adam Shields
Dec 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Short Review: Best books I have read on forgiveness and a very good look at what giving is all about. In someways it felt like two short books tacked together. I know that in Volf's mind they are very intimately connected, but I don't think he quite showed the connection well enough.

Regardless, Volf starts with a look at who God and and what God gives to us. The first chapter really sets the stage for the sections on both giving and forgiveness. The giving sections were good, giving is a respon
Jeff Borgman
Feb 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Theological yet accessible, Volf enters into the life and response of the Christian life in light of God's giving and forgiving character. This book is rich with context, content, and story to illustrate a life that can be beautifully lived. Volf describes the book as a spiritual journey that exercises his theology. I would agree and highly recommend.
Lood
Feb 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
His approach to the subject is very personal. He argues that in giving and forgiving we have to follow God's lead. We forgive because God forgives, we forgive without preconditions, because God does. Many of his ideas are personally challenging, and require a lot more introspection and study. A stunning book in my opinion.
Dan Wolgemuth
Oct 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It took me a while to get a good rhythm through this book, but it was well worth the effort. This is not just a good read, it’s an important book. Deeply convicting, especially about forgiveness. I needed these words.
Paul Kelly
Apr 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: devotional, 2018
Remarkable book. It has changed the way I understand forgiveness.
E.
Apr 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Volf's Exclusion and Embrace is one of the best books on forgiveness. But it is a deeply theological and philosophical book (with a section on Hegel, for instance) meaning it is unlikely to be read by the average lay person.

This volume is accessible and not an academic book at all. While also updating Volf's deep thinking about the topic.

Volf is from the Balkans and so his ideas have been refined in the crucible of political oppression, civil war, and genocide. And yet he takes seriously the Ch
Lindsey
Nov 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
When thinking about grace and forgiveness of others, Volf really focuses on the forgiver, not the person to be forgiven. This book is engaging, and it includes many relevant stories from Volf's life to illustrate how forgiveness can be found, even if the worst of circumstances. He also includes a postlude that answers some of the more significant arguments against the claims made in his book, as a true apologist would. His writing is accessible to all, not just philosophers or those in the world ...more
Nathan
May 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Is everyone really better than our worst act? —taken from Bryan Stevenson’s “Just Mercy”

I cannot force people’s apologies to lead to changed behavior.

What I do get to determine is how long I allow someone or something that has hurt me, to [continue to] haunt me.

This is forgiveness. And more importantly this is what is meant when often people say you must forgive for yourself and not for those who have offended you.
Kathy
Oct 20, 2019 rated it liked it
I borrowed this book from my daughter - it is one of her required books for a seminary course. I am wrestling with issues of anger and forgiveness. The book is accessible and well written. My one complaint is that he seems to be saying that we need to forgive and forget, as God does. Wolf makes occasional and very brief mention of the fact that sometimes it is dangerous to forget. We cannot and should not always reconcile with those we forgive. We are not God.
Joni Duke
Aug 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This beautiful book begins with a story of ‘gracelessness’ and a story of 2 of the most generous gifts - a child through adoption and the forgiveness for the death of another child - both transition to the question, ‘How can we find the ability to give as well as to forgive?’
Ultimately, we give & forgive because: 1)We imitate God the giver, and 2)We are not just recipients but also channels of all the gifts God has given us.
Emily Isbell
Jun 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I highly recommend this book- theology applied to giving and forgiving, thoughtful, spiritual, and real, and written from the voice of Eastern influenced Christianity.
Rocky Woolery
Jul 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very honest appraisal of the human character as well as the practices of giving and forgiving. Very good thoughts on the reasons to give and forgive, mainly as a reflection of God as a giver.
Kathy
Aug 27, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5
Amazing insight, stories, and richness but got long winded and found myself skimming some.
Adam Gossman
Sep 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow
Gavin McGrath
Nov 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a book I will need to read again (and again). There are gems here. There are sharp edges too: edges that cut the normal ways of thinking about giving and forgiving.
Carolyn Hansen
Jan 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the best books I never heard of. I think I'll need to re-read on a regular basis. It's profound and practical and very, very moving.
Andy
Quite simply, brilliant. Living it out is now the challenge that comes
Coram Deo Church
Free of Charge is not currently available at local libraries.
Tricia Culp
Oct 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian-life
The description of this book is apt. He gets a little long-winded at times, but I loved the content. It enriched my understanding of giving and forgiving, and I know I will think about it and go back to it in the future.
Peter
Dec 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
One of the best books I've ever read - deeply thought out and told in a personal voice all at once.
Phil Whittall
Dec 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Miroslav Volf's Free of Charge: Giving and Forgiving in a Culture Stripped of Grace is an excellent book.

Forgiveness is such a tough issue to both understand and more importantly to practice. There are so many emotional barriers that we struggle with and as a pastor I see people still bound to the hurt that they have received, still trapped by their offender because forgiveness hasn't yet been found.

Volf does not shirk the difficult issues, his examples are as heart rending as any - a father for
Jasonlylescampbell
Dec 03, 2009 rated it liked it
I skipped through the first big section as I was most interested in reading about forgiveness. It was good and helpful, though as he said, he wrote it for himself. It is very logical with basic ideas set forth and then a number of questions that seem to upset those ideas with Volf answering each one.

Basic ideas I thought most helpful were:

1. Forgiveness contains both blame/condemnation as well as release/forgiving the debt. You can't forgive without justly condemning.

2. Forgiveness from a huma
Joseph Sverker
2016: I am still gripped by this book and in many ways Volf is still as engaging and though provoking. I am a little more skeptical against the insistent references to Luther though. I actually have nothing (or not much at least) against Luther, but there are more theologians than him. Golf labours his points fairly much and the first half is a little more repetitive than the second. And it is when it comes to the second half, that of forgiving that I really get gripped. Volf manages to weave hi ...more
Jerry
Feb 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: stewardship
Overview of Chapters Four to Six -- Forgiving

The first three chapters are on Giving. They are very helpful and are worth a careful study.

The same threads run through the chapters on forgiving. In the chapters on giving, Volf challenges the false gods of God as the "Negotiator" or as "Santa Claus." The corollary in the chapters on forgiving is a dismissal of the false gods as "Judge" or the "Doting Grandparent." Volf moves us to a proclamation of the biblical God who gives and forgives.

The God w
Stuart
May 31, 2013 rated it liked it
Thought-provoking, lovely, and altogether too much smoke.

Miroslav Volf is a wonderful writer and a grand thinker. There were several times in this book when he pushed a profound idea across that had me in tears. Divided into two parts, the book deals with giving and forgiving. The two things that will stick with me are the pictures he painted of God the giver and forgiving as condemning sin. He clearly knows his material, but this ends up being a weakness.

There is too much going on under the sur
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Ragamuffin Gospel: Good News for the Bedraggled, Beat-Up, and Burnt Out
  • Celebration of Discipline: The Path to Spiritual Growth
  • Get Out of Your Head: Stopping the Spiral of Toxic Thoughts
  • A Little Book for New Theologians: Why and How to Study Theology (Little Books)
  • The Mastering Engineer's Handbook
  • Writing Better Lyrics
  • The Recording Engineer's Handbook
  • Rejesus: A Wild Messiah For A Missional Church
  • The Lean Entrepreneur: How Visionaries Create Products, Innovate with New Ventures, and Disrupt Markets
  • Jayber Crow
  • Coronavirus and Christ
  • Open Primary (Ameritocracy Book 1)
  • A Tale of Three Kings
  • Abba's Child: The Cry of the Heart for Intimate Belonging
  • Be the Bridge: Pursuing God's Heart for Racial Reconciliation
  • Salvation Belongs to the Lord: An Introduction to Systematic Theology
  • Bullets and Beads (Miss Fortune Mystery #17)
  • Center Church: Doing Balanced, Gospel-Centered Ministry in Your City
Miroslav Volf is the Henry B. Wright Professor of Theology at Yale Divinity School and the founding director of the Yale Center for Faith & Culture. “One of the most celebrated theologians of our time,” (Rowan Williams, Archbishop of Canterbury), Volf is a leading expert on religion and conflict. His recent books include Against the Tide: Love in a Time of Petty Dreams and Persisting Enmities, and ...more

News & Interviews

“We know it is good to receive, and we have been blessed by receiving not only as children, but also as adults. Yet Jesus taught that it is more blessed to give than to receive (Acts 20:35), and part of growing up is learning the art of giving. If we fail to learn this art, we will live unfulfilled lives, and in the end, chains of bondage will replace the bonds that keep our communities together. If we just keep taking or even trading, we will squander ourselves. If we give, we will regain ourselves as fulfilled individuals and flourishing communities.” 5 likes
“She loved him for his own sake, and therefore she would rather have suffered his absence if he flourished than to have enjoyed his presence if he languished; her sorrow over his avoidable languishing would overshadow her delight in his presence. For a lover, it is more blessed to give than to receive, even when giving pierces the lover’s heart.” 4 likes