Start by marking “Fairest, Volume 4: Of Men and Mice” as Want to Read:
Fairest, Volume 4: Of Men and Mice

Fairest, Volume 4: Of Men and Mice

(Fairest #4)

3.82  ·  Rating details ·  2,688 Ratings  ·  129 Reviews
Cinderella returns in an all-new epic!
After an assassination attempt on Snow White, Cind is called back into service to unravel an age-old conspiracy that dates back to that fateful midnight ball! Can Cind uncover the plot and prevent a massacre in Fabletown?
By critically acclaimed writer Marc Andreyko (Manhunter, Torso, The Lost) and legendary artist Shawn McManus (Cinder
Paperback, Trade, 144 pages
Published October 7th 2014 by Vertigo

To ask other readers questions about Fairest, Volume 4, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fairest, Volume 4

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
Huge Warning! Do not read this if you haven't read the later volumes of Fables. I made that mistake, and there's a pretty huge spoiler. I had accidentally spoiled myself already on the DC.Wikia website, but that doesn't make it any better. That aside, this was good. Kind of a freaky story. About one of Cinderella's Mice turned Human carriage drivers who becomes acquainted with the pleasures of human woman, with long-lasting consequences.

Cinderella is like a female version of Bond, in ways I don
Sherry
Nov 07, 2014 rated it it was ok
This volume is a relatively minor addition to the Fairest graphic novel series. It features Cinderella, who is trying to figure out why strange mouse/human hybrids are attacking Snow White and other Fables. It turns out that the source of these hybrid creatures can be traced to Cinderella’s own origin story, so she’s uniquely qualified to tackle the problem.

The story here is very slight and, sadly, not all that exciting. I didn’t really care very much about the mouse/human hybrids and why they w
Pamela
Well, poosticks. After requesting an e-ARC of this I realized I completely forgot to read Fairest Vol. 3. Oops. I've not been as vigilant as I'd like to be (or really, as I used to be) about keeping up with the Fables t.p. volumes, but I have to kick it into gear for the Unwritten/Fables crossover (yes, I know that already technically happened, but the library hasn't gotten the volumes in stock yet). I promise to remedy all of these sins posthaste with a massive checkout binge tomorrow, but as f ...more
Kimber
This is a trimmed down version of my review, to view the full review visit The Book Ramble.

After a series of attacks by mice-men Cinderella is called in to investigate, after all her fable is full of mice. Cinderella pursues the Fairy Godmother who created the original mice-men only to get tangled up with some of the Indian Fables who have also met up with these mice-men. Who's really behind the attacks? And how will it affect the oncoming war between Snow and Rose Red?

I really enjoyed this volu
Michael
Fans of Vertigo's on-going comic book series Fables will find a lot to like in this spin-off. Collecting six issues of Fairest centering on Cinderella as a secret agent hot on the trail of a new human-rodent hybrid. Her adventures take her across the entire world, where she has various run-ins with familiar fairy-tale faces.

If you're not familiar with the on-going plot threads from Fables and the first three collections in this series, you may be a bit confused at first. This comic series doesn'
Baal Of
Dec 11, 2014 rated it it was ok
Ugh. This one was just embarrassing. The artwork is awkward, and weirdly bulbous, the story line kind of lame. And worst of all was the dialog. The dialog was so bad that the author himself commented on it lameness with "ugh. Not one my better one-liners" followed by an even worse "Bring. It. On.", which was acknowledged to be even worse. When you find yourself writing about how bad your dialog is, perhaps you should try to write something better. Passing it off as knowing irony is just plain sh ...more
Mark
Nov 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
One of my favorite re-imaginings from the pages of Fables is the character of Cinderella. While the owner of a shoe store (what else?) called "The Glass Slipper" in Fabletown, she is in actuality a Master Spy. Think of a female James Bond with all of the skills in martial arts and weaponry, as well as a predilection for having sex with whatever guy with whom she happens to be working.

In this story, she battles an army of giant rat/mice-men that were spawned by one of her coachman from the origin
'kris Pung
Sep 16, 2014 rated it liked it
Well this Mundy always enjoys a nice departure from the mundane to dive into the land of Fables. I didn't think this was one of the strongest Fables/Fairest books I've read but I did find it entertaining. The pacing was good and I always enjoy how crude/violent the creators twist these classic children’s fables. My main problem with this is the ending seemed quite rushed and the cliffhanger (if you want to call it that) was really weak.

**thanks Netgalley for the ARC**
Gieliza
3.5 stars! Cinderella is such a badass.
Sam Wescott
Mar 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Hmph. This one was better than the first and third volumes in this series because it was actually about a woman ( I know, the bar is reeeeeaally low for a spinoff series about the WOMEN in fables). I do really like issues that focus on Cindy as a spy and those were always favorite plot threads of mine among the general Fables story.

And you know, the story was actually pretty interesting and answered some questions I had when Fables ended. It was good to see Snow, of course, and I liked how Ram
Quentin Wallace
Feb 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was probably my favorite volume of Fairest so far. It's basically the third Cinderella limited series as I'm sure if they hadn't published the Fairest series this story would have eventually been published as a Cinderella stand alone.

This one involves the Fairy Godmother, one of the stepsisters, and an amorous rat who was transformed into a human and just couldn't stop breeding. Ramayan shows up as well as a few other Fables and Cinderella is around as well. This story does tie directly int
Craig
Sep 21, 2014 rated it liked it
I've always enjoyed the stories where Cinderella goes off and serves as a spy/secret agent on behalf of Fabletown, and that's what she does again in this story arc. Unfortunately, this one doesn't have even half the magic as the other stories where Cindy is the protagonist (she doesn't even get her own self-title miniseries this time around). The basic plot is interesting: one of the mice who was turned into a coachman for Cinderella's big night at the ball, escaped and stayed a man/mouse and ha ...more
Emily
May 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
I liked the focus and smaller story of this volume. The main series has gotten so big, the reader has to switch gears every 3 or 4 pages, which has come to frustrate me greatly. I had time to settle into the story with this.

I still think these folks reeeeally like to dress Cinderella up in sexy lingerie and see her fight, which is rather silly. The scene toward the beginning had me harumphing and rolling my eyes.

But I liked what they did in creating a plot based on what happened in the aftermat
Lindsay Heller
Oct 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014, fairy-tale, graphic
This was a good installment and I always love Cinderella and her general badassery, but with two spin-offs and the graphic novel Fairest: In All the Land all dedicated to her did we really need a story arch of Fairest that's all Cinderella? I'm not going to call it a waste, cause it was good and it was relevant to to story and to the story in Fables, but we don't have long before this series is over and I can think of other characters I would have liked to learn more about.

Still, four stars bec
Tera
Jul 31, 2014 rated it liked it
I really wanted to like and originally looked forward to reading. Sadly it didn't take me long to realize that either I care less for the story or the story itself just isn't as good as it once was. I could never call this terrible or really bad, just not as good. Hopefully if there is another book following this that it returns to the amazing caliber of the previous Fables and Fairest stories.
arc from NetGalley
Michael
Jul 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sequential-art
Tolle Artwork und viele witzige Ideen! Für den "Seiteneinsteiger", der mit dem Handlungsgerüst von FABLES nicht vertraut ist, allerdings manchmal etwas verwirrend. Trotzdem: ein lesenswerter abgedrehter "Krimi", angesiedelt im Crossover-Bereich von Märchen und (natürlich auch fiktiver) Wirklichkeit.
Michael Cairns
Sep 20, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics-mature
Finally! It took me so long to finish this, which is rarely the case with anything Fables based. This is the first arc in this series that I haven't been impressed with. It felt quite disjointed and despite the wonderful lead character, I just wasn't that interested in how it ended.
I also wasn't mad keen on the art.
Not bad, by any account, just not great.
Adam
Apr 15, 2018 rated it it was ok
Holly Hand Grenade
"And if there's one thing I hate more than trolls, it's indentured servitude. Just ask my stepmother."

Now, THIS is more like it. This story connects Cinderella, THE Fairy Godmother, Crispin (the Shoemaker from 'The Elves & the Shoemaker'), some trolls, King Valemon (the polar bear king from Norwegian fairy tales), Ramayan (the blue-skinned hero from an India epic), the Three Blind Mice and Snow White (along with some other Fables staples).

Someone makes an assassination attempt on Snow White
Callie Rose Tyler
Dec 28, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics, fables
UGH! More Cinderella!?

Seriously, I have had all that I can take of Cinderella and her obnoxious 007 persona. Why are they forcing this character on me, just when I thought I was free and clear, she pops up in this series.

This story involves mice and ugly step sisters and fairy godmothers and more mice and a blue Indian fable that I don't know anything about.

Vittorio Rainone
Non il migliore degli episodi di Fairest, comunque un volume divertente, anche se nel finale scade in una bolgia un po' troppo dinamica. La protagonista è al solito la infallibile agente segreta Cenerentola, che si ritrova in un intrigo che coinvolge i topolini trasformati in cavalli dalla sua fata madrina e nella sua storia. Disegni nella norma, copertine di Hughes, al solito, meravigliose.
Kendall H
Oct 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Read to evaluate for a challenge at work.
CJ - It's only a Paper Moon
May 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
I love Cindy.
Engel Dreizehn
Jul 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library-2017
With beautiful art as always...it was both terrifying and awesome to see the Cinderella tale and the mice coachmen so twisted in gritty comic book proportions.
Eric Brown
Jul 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was amazing. I love Cinderella's personality and will definitely be reading her series soon.
Ian Wood
Feb 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing

Nicole
Apr 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Happily ever after may not be in the in cards for everyone, but that does NOT mean an end for some of your favorite fair tale characters—and Fairest: Vol. 4: Of Mice and Men proves it!

51i3L7MULXL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_

Cinderella may be known forever for her appearance at the Ball and landing the Prince, but in the Fables universe, she’s a fierce and resourceful operative who sells shoes by day ,when she’s not at various locations around the world, saving the Earth for the residents of Fables an
Katya
Aug 05, 2014 rated it liked it
Overall I found this a decent addition to the Fables/Fairest roster, although subsequent analysis revealed some weaknesses in the story.

This installment is billed as a spy/adventure story - an assassination attempt on Snow White sends Cinderella to find the fairy godmother, then to India to track down the potential source of the assassins. There's a neat tie-in with Cinderella's backstory via a mouse-coachman Lothario and the end of the volume links up neatly with the Camelot story currently go
Xavfro
Mar 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics-read
this is actually cinderella vol 3... it was okay but not great
Jenny Lynn
I liked it a lot more than Vol 3 mostly because it's focus was more in line with what the Fairest comics are supposed to be about (i.e. the ladies of Fables...and not Prince Charming with a lady sharing the spotlight), but I do have some complaints, mostly to do with the artwork and the way women are drawn (i.e. all very similar in features though with different hair color, sometimes ridiculously busty for being so skinny everywhere else). I know this is a bigger issue within the comics world as ...more
SPOILERS - Wolf cubs question... 3 6 Jul 28, 2015 11:34PM
  • Fairest, Volume 5: The Clamour for Glamour
  • Fairest, Volume 2: The Hidden Kingdom
  • Fairest, Volume 3: The Return of the Maharaja
  • Fairest: In All the Land
  • Cinderella, Volume 2: Fables are Forever
  • Fables: The Wolf Among Us, Volume 1 [#1-24]
Marc Andreyko is a comic book and screenplay writer, best known for writing the 2000s ongoing series Manhunter for DC Comics.

Fairest (6 books)