Start by marking “Blood Day” as Want to Read:
Blood Day

Blood Day

Writers Federation of New Brunswick award winning short story for the children/ young adult category, Blood Day was created out of a looming deadline, a bit of encouragement and dedication to writing a story.

I've always been told we all bleed red, take breaths, and die if poisoned so I often wondered why I wasn't dead yet.

In this glimpse of the life of someone who just isn
Published March 20th 2014 by ProSpec Industries

To ask other readers questions about Blood Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blood Day

Robert Rayner
Jul 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Sarah Butland's Blood Day has been haunting me for the last few days. I read a few pages, stopped, thinking - What's going on here? Started again and read all through, thinking - I'm not sure, but I think I know what's going on. Thought about it. Decided I didn't know ... and read again. Having finished reading #3, I decided Blood Day is like poetry: It grabs you and haunts you and you kind of 'get it' without fully understanding it, but that doesn't diminish its effect, and in fact - tantalisin ...more
Kitty Muse Book Reviews
Apr 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
People–everyone, from teachers to her foster families–always labeled Veronica as “either a challenge, a handful, difficult, or trouble” because she refused to be “typical”. This attitude of hers was not deliberate, but lessons learned from all of this rejection just made her more resolute to be herself as she grew up.

But who is she, herself? Even Veronica doesn’t really know.

Until that magical, frightening day when she cuts herself–and bleeds. For the first time in her life. Suddenly, answers ar
Angella Jacob-Cormier
Jul 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Captivating from the very first line, this short story holds much mystery yet resonates with important messages throughout.

The writing brings vivid imagery to mind, as we read about Veronica's mysterious ability and the bits and pieces of her past that

together form a unique storyline. The characters are intense yet there are glimpses of familiarity, an important trait that writers

struggle with often, but which the author here has championed. Though we are left with questions, specifically what
Pierre Arseneault
Jul 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
I’m not one who actually puts much faith in reviews and for that reason I tend to not write them. Usually that is. I strongly believe that people shouldn’t decide whether they like something based on others opinions. Perhaps a review can help a reader decide if they want to take that journey into these pages and delve into the weave that the story becomes. But the author’s blurb alone should be enough to help one make that decision. With that said, I can only give Blood Day four stars and can’t ...more
Carol
Jun 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-sci-fiction
Very interesting novella. Veronica does not bleed
red. No matter how many times she is cut or tries
to commit suicide....she lacks the ability to bleed.
Then on her twenty eighth birthday....she bleeds
red. That is her " Blood Day ". On that day she is
pulled into her mirror.
Vivid imagery, well created characters in a very
short sci-fi type read.
Rebecca Graf
May 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
In Blood Day: The Short Story, Sarah Butland brings you mystery and suspense while creating characters you are drawn to in just seventeen pages. This was an extremely interesting read as I followed the main character through her thoughts and reflections as she came upon what she calls her Blood Day. It is the day she bleeds for the first time. No matter how many times during her life she has been cut or injured, no blood comes from her until today.

I found this to be a captivating read that had b
Zara Steen
Jun 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Intriguing!

This short story has some incredible character development and imagery. If you enjoy a book that keeps you on your toes to connect the details of the plot, this is for you! There's mystery shrouding the main character Veronica, so many unanswered questions that make you yearn for more. I truly enjoyed this read. My only constructive criticism is that it left me wanting more of this story! :)
Jaimie Hope
Sep 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
The story itself was wonderful. I'd love to see the this short expanded to at least novella length. The reason I didn't give five stars was due to lack of editing. Some punctuation issues may be overlooked, but the pov issues just can't be. I hope to read more from this author in the near future.
Brenda
Nov 24, 2015 rated it it was ok
A little strange but interesting enough to keep me reading to the end. Still have no idea what is going on in the story.
Tracy
Zara Steen
Jun 21, 2015
Tracy
Sarah Butland
Mar 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Jim