Start by marking “What I Know for Sure” as Want to Read:
What I Know for Sure

What I Know for Sure

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  19,963 ratings  ·  2,065 reviews
As a creative force, student of the human heart and soul, and champion of living the life you want, Oprah Winfrey stands alone. Over the years, she has made history with a legendary talk show - the highest-rated program of its kind, launched her own television network, become the nation's only African-American billionaire, and been awarded both an honorary degree by Harvar ...more
Published September 2nd 2014 by Flatiron Books (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about What I Know for Sure, please sign up.
Aaron It was released on the the 2nd of September, and you can get the best price at Amazon here http://amzn.to/1sTDAy9

·  19,963 ratings  ·  2,065 reviews

Danielle
Sep 02, 2014 rated it did not like it
I guess I just don't get it. Pure pablum. Things that have been said, repeatedly and endlessly, by any number of people and in numerous books forever. There are a few things that are nice to contemplate but, again, they have all been said before and the vast majority of it is nothing but nebulous notions like, "You lead life, it doesn't lead you" and "Be your best self." I wonder if the quiet moments of perfection come as easily in a homeless shelter as on your own private retreat in Hawaii. I w ...more
Petra
Dec 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
I love Oprah. That's coming from a person who isn't dazzled by celebrities. I grew up watching her talk show, and I'm not ashamed of admitting that I learned a lot from her. I love her positive outlook on life, her strength and her determination.It's summed up really nicely in this book;

My highest achievement: never shutting down my heart. Even in my darkest moments—through sexual abuse, a pregnancy at 14, lies and betrayals—I remained faithful, hopeful, and willing to see the best in people, r
Darth J
Feb 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction

Now I’m not one to kneel before the shrine of Oprah (view spoiler), nor have I really watched her very much throughout the years. (view spoiler) but I do find her to be genuine and mostly filled with good
Melody
Sep 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well, if you are an Oprah fan, you will love this! I would highly recommend buying this as an audiobook rather than the hardcover or paperback because there's something about Oprah's voice that makes everything still and makes the person listening truly pay attention and really get it. It's one thing to see Oprah's words on the page but hearing it from her mouth takes her words to the next level. It's difficult to explain but her voice means so much and it works so well and makes so much sense t ...more
Ammara Abid
Mar 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Beautiful & inspiring.

"What I know for sure is that there is no strength without challenge, adversity, resistance, and often pain".

"Who could I have become if I had finally done the things I always wanted to do".

"The gift of deciding to face your mortality without turning away or flinching is the gift of recognizing that because you will die, you must live now".
Reem Alkhalaf
Jul 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
في أحد المقابلات التلفزيونية سألها المذيع: أخبريني ما الشيء الذي تعرفينه على وجه اليقين؟
ليست المرة الأولى التي تخضع فيها للكثير من الأسئلة، ولم يحدث أن وجدت نفسها عاجزة عن الرد تماماً، ولكن كانت هذه المره استثنائية وبسببها ولد هذا الكتاب.

تطرقت أوبرا في هذا الكتاب للأمور التي تعرفها على وجه اليقين من خلال مواقف عاشتها، وأحداث تعرضت لها في حياتها وكانت سبباً في أدراكها للأمور وجعلها ما هي عليه اليوم.

كتاب خفيف وممتع في نفس الوقت، ستتعرف فيه أكثر على هذه الشخصية الملهمة، نقاط ضعفها وكيف حولتها لمصدر
Mohamed Mecery
في البداية أحب أن أعترف أني غير متابع لعروض اوبرا وينفري ولا أخفيكم سراً أن انطباعي عنها كان غير جيد
لكن بقرائتي لكتابها هذا أحببت شخصيتها كثيرا

وما كان من لحظات ذل و قهر في علاقاتها الزوجية
وكيف خرجت من هذا كله بثبات و
Nikki
Sep 10, 2014 rated it it was ok
So...I've lost some respect for Oprah. I'm sure I'm alone in this and that's okay.

This book started off as "meh" with me thinking "That's easy for Oprah to say", and then got good and valuable in the middle. I thought, "Dang, this is some good insight, I'll ignore the pretentiousness of the writing--the way she assumes because she's well-known and wealthy, her idle thoughts on the world will give the rest of us something to ponder." And then she showed how out of touch she is with the world at
AMEERA
Oct 15, 2018 rated it it was ok
2.5
Marnie  Krüger
A friend borrowed me a copy of this book; telling me I HAVE to read this; that it changed her thinking overnight.
So I obliged and read it. And man, it does change the way you think.
I will need my own copy, because this book will be highlighted and margin noted like none before.
It will be read and re-read ever so often.

You Become

I can't say I've ever been a fan of Oprah Winfrey. I'm not a TV person and though I know about her, I've never considered reading one of her book. This I realize now was a mistake.
Warda
Feb 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I know this is something I will be referring to constantly. My holy grail, my own personal bible. I mean, it's Oprah. There's so much she has experienced of the world and she shares her lessons through this wonderful book.
WhatIReallyRead
In this book, Oprah does her thing. I mean, what do you imagine, when you picture a book written by Oprah? Well, this is exactly it.

With chapters called Joy, Resilience, Gratitude, Awe and stuff like that, it's a blend of self-help, memoir and inspirational/spiritual stories with short chapters and highly quotable phrases. She's in her element.

I'm pretty sure a book like this written by any other author would piss me off. But when Oprah does it, it feels good to read it. Oprah's writings feel
Liz Lazarus
Jan 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What I Know For Sure is like spring-cleaning for the soul. I listened to the audio version of this book - it was an extra treat to hear Oprah read it. I found myself bookmarking so many of her valuable life lessons and will likely listen to it again.
Annamarie Francois
I'm not an Oprah fan, yet I found this book to be thoroughly humanizing. A great work of literature? No, but it's not meant to be. It is a deep cleansing breathe.
zahra haji
Apr 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: مقالات
أخبريني ما الشيء الذي تعرفينه على وجه اليقين ؟

سؤال طرح على أوبرا قبل 21 عاما .. ذلك السؤال كان السبب بتوقف تسلسل أفكارها رغم ما تتعرض له
من شتى الأسئلة و على مر السنين

كانت بحاجة للتفكير وللكثير من الوقت ليصبح ذلك السؤال مرافقا لها على مر السنوات
الكتب جميل وصادق لأبعد الحدود .. عرفني أكثر على شخصية أوبرا وما عانته في حياتها
أيام الفرح وأيام الحزن وكيف تغلبت على كل الأمور الصعبة التي واجهتها .. ومن الأفكار المهمة جدا
كيف أن كل لحظة بالحياة تستحق أن نعيشها ونقدرها وأن الامتنان وشكر الله على نعمه م
Mehrzad M.
هرگز یک قسمت از برنامه ی اُپرا را ندیدم، و حتی یک پاراگراف از مجله اش را نخواندم ، ولی شناخت و شنیدن نام او در برنامه های تلویزیونی گوناگون اجتناب ناپذیرست .

او ، اگر درست خاطرم باشد، ثروتمندترین زن جهان است، اما از صفر شروع کرده، سختی های فراوان کشیده و کاملاً خودساخته ست.

اما برسیم به کتابی که در دست داشتم؛ با اطمینان می دانم که...
ترجمه ی روانی داشت و تنها تعداد محدودی ایراد تایپی نامحسوس مشاهده شد.

این کتاب با یک سوال پرسیده شده از اّپرا در برنامه ای تلویزیونی شروع شد: بهم بگو، چه چیزی را به طور
Reem Ghabbany
May 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
I so enjoyed this! I didn't want it to end! I loved reading these articles. it was so refreshing and inspiring.
Zaira
May 27, 2018 rated it liked it

Oprah has some wonderful insights on life, love and everything in between (duh)
but it's undeniable that she speaks from a position of privilege and that not everyone is able to effect change in their lives the way she suggests.
Maria Espadinha
May 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
O Alto Valor da Simplicidade

Para espanto de muitos, Oprah Winfrey, que certamente terá acesso a tudo ou quase tudo que o dinheiro pode comprar, reserva as suas 5 estrelas para a Simplicidade:

Um pôr do sol na companhia de amigos

Um passeio com os cães a rebolar livremente pela relva

Ler um livro à sombra da sua árvore predilecta

Andar descalça pela relva acabada de aparar

São apenas alguns dos momentos que mais aprecia no seu dia a dia...

Uma leitura que nos leva a reavaliar a Vida!

Nota: A corresponde
Runwright
Dec 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
This small book is a compendium of truths that Oprah has learned from her own experiences. There were many sections I want to save and reread but I think the last entry sums up everything she wrote about earlier. Happiness is never something you get from other people. You lead life; it doesn't lead you. Be loving to yourself and others and see that love reciprocated. Today I try to do well and be well with everyone I encounter. Everything will be returned to me and the same is true for you.
What
Tonkica
Nov 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Osoba dosljedna sebe... Vrijedi ju "poslusati".
Lau
Dec 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bueno, este libro me tapó la boca.
No tenía demasiadas esperanzas de encontrar algo interesante, principalmente porque pertenece a dos géneros que muy pocas veces me gustan –autobiografía y autoayuda– pero me encontré sonriendo, pensando mucho con lo que dice, marcando frases como loca y hasta planeando conseguirlo en castellano para regalárselo a mi mamá.
Epa.

Conocia a Oprah principalmente a traves de series u otros programas de televisión norteamericanos donde la nombraban –siempre como una voz
Rosie Nguyễn
Dec 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Inspiring, beautiful and easy to ready. Suitable for those who want to start their reading habit again. Simple yet truthful lessons. In the book I found the same values that I've been following, and the views and experiences which may seem a little bit strange to others are the ones that moved me deeply. For instance compassion is a way to find love, or you're the best mother, father, sibling, friend or lover of yourself.

Trời ơi đọc sách bản dịch thành ra không tìm được câu quote tiếng Anh chuẩ
Rita Yacoub
Apr 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
أوبرا وينفري...! الشخصية المميزة المشهورة كتبت "ما أعرفه على وجه اليقين" متحدثة عن قناعاتها وأفكارها وما توصلت إليه خلال حياتها. حقيقةً، الكتاب كان ملهمًا جدًا بالنسبة لي، وجعلني أشعر بالامتنان والقوة في كثير من المواضع، وكان بالنسبة لي أفضل من كثير من كتب التنمية التي تخبرك بما عليك فعله وتكتفي بإعطائك النصائح باستمرار لأن هذا الكتاب كان مختلفًا، فأوبرا تتحدث عن تجاربها وما توصلت إليه من قناعات دون أن تخبرك بأن هذا أفضل لك ويفضل أن تعمل ذلك وهكذا كما كثير من الكتب، بل هي تقدم لك تجربتها وستشعر ...more
Israa
Jan 19, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
شخصيه جميله وملهمه
Matthew
From October 24th through October 25th, I won free tickets to be of Oprah's "Life That You Want" Weekend. It was a two day seminar featuring Oprah, Deepak Chopra, Elizabeth Gilbert, Rob Bell, and Iyanla Vanzant and it utterly life changing. I cannot even begin to describe how they helped refueled passion into my life and gave me the set of tools to how to figure out what I need to do in my life and how to find inner peace and happiness within myself. I truly needed that motivational speech and a ...more
Angela
A pleasant read. Most of it I agreed with, some of it was hit and miss. Oprah did well to relate many of the stories back to herself but I had this feeling that it should have come with a warning that read "lessons for the upper-middle class female only". For instance, how is a lower class teenage boy going to take 20 minutes a day on his verandah overlooking Maui to 'connect with the oneness'?

Perhaps I am becoming cynical.
Reem  Alsafadi
Oct 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
"أعرف على وجه اليقين أن رحلتك تبدأ باختيار أن تنهض وتخرج وتعيش الحياة على الوجه الأكمل"
......
اوبرا وينفري امرأة عظيمة وملهمة
أحببتها أكثر بعد قراءتي لسيرة حياتها وخلاصة تجاربها في الحياة ورغم معاناتها استمرت بقوة ايمانها
Kells Next Read
”Books, for me, used to be a way to escape. I now consider reading a good book a sacred indulgence, a chance to be any place I choose. It is my absolute favorite way to spend time. What I know for sure is that reading opens you up. It exposes you and gives you access to anything your mind can hold. What I love most about reading: It gives you the ability to reach higher ground. And keep climbing.” One of the quotes I ❤ Hmmmm I wonder why 🤔 ...(hint) books 🤣🤣🙈

This 📚 had so many 💎 I wanted to high
N.
Mar 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm in one hell of a reading slump. I didn't read a single book in February. Life is getting complicated. Motivation to read is scarce right now. So I figured it would be smarter to just get an audiobook to listen to while I commute to and from work. You know, something different while I endeavor through the audiobook of Pride and Prejudice.

Oprah’s voice is incredibly soothing to me. It’s no secret amongst my friends that I love this woman and that I think she is amazing. As such, I love listeni
  • Let It Out: A Journey Through Journaling
  • A Social Strategy: How We Profit from Social Media
  • O's Little Book of Happiness
  • The Spiritual Doorway in the Brain: A Neurologist's Search for the God Experience
  • Modern Love: 50 True and Extraordinary Tales of Desire, Deceit, and Devotion
  • Easier Than You Think ...because life doesn't have to be so hard: The Small Changes That Add Up to a World of Difference
  • The Execution Factor: The One Skill That Drives Success
  • Essence of the Dhammapada: The Buddha's Call to Nirvana
  • Zen Habits - Handbook for Life
  • Positive Psychology In A Nutshell
  • Mariel Hemingway's Healthy Living from the Inside Out: Every Woman’s Guide to Real Beauty, Renewed Energy, and a Radiant Life
  • Criminal That I Am: A Memoir
  • Prime Time: Love, Health, Sex, Fitness, Friendship, Spirit: Making the Most of All of Your Life
  • Mindfulness in Action: Making Friends with Yourself through Meditation and Everyday Awareness
  • Bounce Back!: How to Thrive in the Face of Adversity
  • Let Me Out: Unlock Your Creative Mind and Bring Your Ideas to Life
  • You Only Have to Be Right Once: The Unprecedented Rise of the Instant Tech Billionaires
  • Change Your Mind, Heal Your Body: When Modern Medicine Has No Cure The Answer Lies Within. My True Story of Self- Healing
As the visionary and leader behind OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network and formerly the supervising producer and host of the top-rated, award-winning “The Oprah Winfrey Show,” Oprah has entertained and inspired millions of viewers to live their best lives. Her accomplishments as a global media leader and philanthropist have established her as one of the most respected and admired public figures today.
“There is one irrefutable law of the universe: We are each responsible for our own life. If you’re holding anyone else accountable for your happiness, you’re wasting your time. You must be fearless enough to give yourself the love you didn’t receive.” 69 likes
“What I love most about reading: It gives you the ability to reach higher ground. And keep climbing.” 48 likes