Start by marking “Dangerous Women 3” as Want to Read:
Dangerous Women 3

Dangerous Women 3

(Dangerous Women #3)

Dangerous Women Vol. 3 includes stories by Sherilynn Kenyon, Joe Abercrombie, Diana Rowland, Melinda Snodgrass, and Pat Cadigan, and features an entirely new 18,000-word novella by New York Times bestselling author Brandon Sanderson, and a new story of Harry Dresden’s world by bestselling author Jim Butcher. All stories were first published in December 2013 Dangerous Women ...more
Published December 1st 2014 by Tor Fantasy

To ask other readers questions about Dangerous Women 3, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dangerous Women 3

Susie
Overall rating: ★★★☆☆ - Sort of liked/OK. Each story is reviewed individually below.

1/7: "Bombshells" by Jim Butcher
★★★☆☆ - Sort of liked/OK

My rating for this story jumped around a lot. At one point it was really low, but some brilliant moments brought it right back up again.

But, this story can essentially be summarised as: a group of three women going around using their sexuality to their advantage. OK, perhaps it is a bit more complex than that, but they're described as "hot" and use their "
Nikki
Overall, the whole collection is pretty disappointing to me. The stories might fit the theme of ‘dangerous women’ on a technicality, but few of them feel genuinely dangerous. Usually the twist is that, surprise! She’s not a good girl after all! Righto.

‘Some Desperado’, by Joe Abercrombie — One of the better ones in the collection. The main character is, indeed, a desperado, and things don’t go too well for her — but she defends herself and keeps on running.

‘City Lazarus’, by Diana Rowland — I’ve
Arun Divakar
Sep 27, 2015 rated it liked it
So here is my take on the last book in the trilogy :

Some Desperado by Joe Abercrombie

Rating : 5/5

In Summary : A woman on the run arrives at a ghost town in the West. She is bloody, battered and tired. On her trail are three bounty hunters who have all the time and resources in the World. But the woman – Shy is no pushover and there are a few desperate cards up her sleeve. I loved this story and in my definition, this is how a dangerous woman story should be written. Bloody and quick its gets to
Tahieuba Latif
Apr 17, 2015 rated it liked it
With seven stories to go through, I’ve reviewed each story individually below.

Some Desperado by Joe Abercrombie
Rating: 5/5
Set in the Wild West, a desperate woman named Shy is chased by bounty hunters into a derelict town. She finds a way to come out on top of the situation. Some Desperado is set before his most recent novel Red Country.
I’ve never read a western before so when I started reading this one, I was hooked from the start. Shy and her horse are on the run and they are injured. She takes
Chocolategoddess
Sep 28, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: other
Joe Abercrombie writes a story about an outlaw running from the gang of men she just robbed a bank with. This is probably the most dangerous woman I've read in this collection so far (I haven't read the first part yet because my library only bought the last two out of three #budgetcuts). I didn't enjoy the opening because I find Abercrombie's prose takes a while to get in to, but once things kicked off it was intense. This story did a pretty good job of just being a short story and not trying to ...more
Nicole
Alexander
Oct 26, 2015 rated it liked it
The final round of Dangerous Women short stories to review! I'll review all of them in detail, give them a score, and base the final score on the average. You can see it already, but as of this writing, I'm yet to determine the average.
When I'm done with that, I'll calculate the average of all three installments, which is the final rating I give this collection, and I'll say something about it as a whole. All right, let's go.

Some Desperado - Joe Abercrombie - 3/5
This story is a western with a wo
Alicia Williams
Dec 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 010-2017
DANGEROUS WOMEN 1
Gardner Dozois’s introduction
George R. R. Martin, ‘The Princess and the Queen’
Carrie Vaughn, ‘Raisa Stepanova’
Nancy Kress,’“Second Arabesque, Very Slowly’
Lawrence Block, ‘I Know How to Pick ‘Em’
Megan Abbott, ‘My Heart Is Either Broken’
Joe R. Lansdale, ‘Wrestling Jesus’
Brandon Sanderson, ‘Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell’

DANGEROUS WOMEN 2
Gardner Dozois’s introduction
Megan Lindholm, ‘Neighbors’
Lev Grossman, ‘The Girl in the Mirror’
Sharon Kay Penman, ‘A Queen in Exile’
S.
Ramune
Feb 01, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Honestly, I have only bought this volume because of Joe Abercrombie's story and somehow wasn't much surprised to discover that this one truly was the only worthy piece of writing there. I'd give 4 stars to this one - it would be 5 if it wasn't so really short, as it felt like a moment in time and then it was over! The rest of the compilation gets from 1 (totally silly and overly clichéd "Hell Hath no Fury") to 3 (all the rest).
Camilla
Nora's Song by Cecelia Holland ~ 2.5/5
Bombshells by Jim Butcher ~ 4/5

Overall rating ~ 3.8/5
Ida (IG: PleaseJustLetMeRead)
Short stories from different authors makes short stories of different quality. They are all well written in their own way, but still vary. Especially the mix of genres can be hard to get around as a reader, as each requires different things from the reader, and thus the reader has to change their mindset way to often.
Letitia Dixon-coombs
Mar 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed the stories, even when I didn't like the characters.
Jaden-marie
Sep 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
least favourite out of the collection, but good/okay still.
Aishath Nadha
Uff this was terrible - I enjoyed only one of the stories in here and even that wasn’t notably good. What a disappointment
Abby Barton
Jun 18, 2018 rated it liked it
I only liked the stories by Brandon Sanderson and Jim Butcher
Riju Ganguly
Jun 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After curdling our brains with an awful, near toxic collection of crap in the first volume, Martin & Dozois return with a far superior collection this time. The stories were:
1. "Some Desperado" by Joe Abercrombie: a taut story, that's eminently readable, and opens the book neatly.
2. "City Lazarus" by Diana Rowland: Very good story indeed, and special thanks to the author for giving us a femme fatale for changed times.
3. "Hell Hath No Fury" by Sherrilyn Kenyon: A ghost story that's good enoug
Mathew Whitney
Jan 10, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2016
Dangerous Women 3 is a collection of short stories by various authors about "dangerous women". I bought this book specifically for the last story, which comes in at just over 70 pages, "Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell" by Brandon Sanderson. I was vaguely aware of most of the other authors in this collection, but had not read anything significant by any of them.

Overall, I found all of the stories enjoyable, though there's a bit of diversity in the genres, and, at times, being included
Cori Reed
May 11, 2016 rated it it was ok
2.5 Stars

This book was all over the place. I only really liked two of the stories, and a couple I actively disliked. One I didn't even read because it's set in the same universe as a series I might want to read someday. I basically bought this for Brandon Sanderson' novella, but I recommend just buying the copy off his website.

The breakdown:

Bombshells by Jim Butcher: This is the one I didn't read, because even the introduction before the short story itself gave major Dresden Files spoilers, and
Rhiana
Jan 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Rhiana by: Bryan
This was generally a fun and enjoyable book. A few of the stories were very formulaic though. Butcher's piece is quite formulaic - fun, but predictable and nothing very new. The different genres were interesting to see mixed together. Overall, this made for good bedtime reading, since I could just read one story then sleep. I picked up an author or two to watch out for from it certainly.
Cheryl
Jan 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
After having read all three books in the series, I have to say I like this one best by far . I do think however, think that the majority of the series was not read by George RR Martin just used his name on it to make sales.
Michele
May 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Some really good short stories in this compilation. My favorites were the stories by Brandon Sanderson and Jim Butcher. I'd like to read more of their work. I wasn't a fan of the story by Pat Cadigan.
Simon Curling
This volume of the series was better than volume 1. I bought it mainly for the Jim Butcher Dresden file story which was a good tale about Molly. A couple of the other stories were also good and the rest were ok.
Margit
Jim Butcher's story is fun, although it does have a big spoiler for the Dresden series.

Rowland's story is about the most despicable protagonist, but that's intentional. He gets what he deserves.

I found Kenyon's story cute but very pedantic.
James
May 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
A good blend of writing styles, several excellent stories. Out of the 3 anthologies to date this one feels the strongest. Very happy to read a new Sanderson story.
Nicki
May 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great stuff most if not all stories were intriguing. Thanks George, now get working on some real stuff ahem W.O.W.
Rebekah
A few of these stories were eh, the majority were really good and another small few were awesome.
Tom Webster
Yeah this continued in the vein of the previous two volumes....ok at best.

Martin's short in the first volume really was the highlight of the three....
Stasha
Loved the Brandon Sanderson story. Enjoyed all the others. A book safe to share with teens
C
Jun 17, 2016 rated it liked it
I only anted to read Bombshells, by Jim Butcher. Started a couple other stories but they weren't for me. The Molly Carpenter POV story gave great background that came between Dresden
stories.
Feblub
Jan 10, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I think George RR Martin only get paid to put his name on the cover. He didn't really read all the stories, they were way below his standard. Lousy!

• Some of the Best From Tor.com: 2016 Edition
  • Mortal Musings
  • The Mammoth Book of Extreme Fantasy
  • The Top of the Volcano: The Award-Winning Stories of Harlan Ellison
  • DAW 30th Anniversary Fantasy
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender "Rebound" (Free Comic Book Day 2013)
  • Seize the Night: New Tales of Vampiric Terror
  • Writing the Paranormal Novel: Techniques and Exercises for Weaving Supernatural Elements Into Your Story.
  • Blood Lite III: Aftertaste (Blood Lite, #3)
  • How the World Became Quiet
  • Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones: Novelization
  • Not That Innocent
  • A Girl's Guide to Guns and Monsters
  • Agent of Vega & Other Stories
George R.R. Martin was born September 20, 1948, in Bayonne, New Jersey. His father was Raymond Collins Martin, a longshoreman, and his mother was Margaret Brady Martin. He has two sisters, Darleen Martin Lapinski and Janet Martin Patten.

Dangerous Women (3 books)
  • Dangerous Women 1