Jump to ratings and reviews

Benders

Escape into a different kind of story. Benders is an exciting, contemporary, science fiction thriller tossed with supernatural powers and a heart-warming romance.

An easy-going young man, Monty has spent his life at a distance from those around him as he hides his unique talent to bend people’s thoughts to do anything he desires. Unaware that these abilities are being monitored, Monty exposes himself with a reckless act and puts himself in the crosshairs of Hazelton, a power-hungry uber-patriot who hunts down each bender for execution to ensure his attempt at seizing global power comes to fruition.

Mieko, Monty’s fiery lover, partners with his oldest friend in a race to find and rescue the best man she’s ever met and the only one powerful enough to save the world from Hazelton's insane plan. Those that know Monty are willing to risk it all for him. Do they have what it takes to accomplish their mission, or will their sacrifice be in vain?

Mark Eric, an up and coming indie novelist, bursts into today's fictional landscape with a refreshing blend of realistic heroes within larger than life plots. He pours his creative energy onto the page in a way that both thrills and entertains as he infuses his stories with characters that become fond friends and dreaded enemies that beg to be destroyed.

Learn more at www.MarkEricEntertainment.com

521 pages, Kindle Edition

First published March 18, 2014

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Mark Eric

5 books1 follower

Eric's writing career has spanned 20 years across multiple genres and media. Fans will be delighted with his range and unique tales. His dynamic multicultural casts reflect the rising demand in American entertainment for a richer, more diverse mix of age, race, gender, and socioeconomic status.

Eric's first release, Benders, is contemporary fiction of a gifted young Black man being pursued by one of the country's most politically influential men. His second novel, Charlie, is set to release late 2014, and a collection of his poetry will be released Summer 2014. Two other novels are also in the works for 2015. Eric will be filling our traditional and digital bookshelves for years to come.

Equally passionate—if not fanatic—about both films and music, Eric shares his wealth of intelligence, humor, insight and layman reviews as an avid blogger. In addition, the NYC native is a fiery social advocate against racism and social inequality. While writing, he divides his time between the culture rich concrete jungle of NYC and quiet woods on the outskirts of Youngstown, Ohio.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
1 (6%)
1 star
0 (0%)
Displaying 1 - 5 of 5 reviews
Profile Image for LaShanta Charles.
Author 11 books227 followers
April 6, 2014
Imagine speeding down the autobahn, at least 100 MPH. Imagine the car you’re riding in is an Aston Martin Vanquish Volante; convertible top back, sun beaming on your skin, hair billowing in the wind…now imagine pushing that beautiful machine to the maximum speed and yelling at the top of your lungs as you do it. THAT is the unbelievable ride this book will take you on!

When I initially started reading this book, I was a little put off by Tristan, but only because I had read the summary and I was only expecting Monty to be the one with the “gift.” Then I found myself rooting for Tristan, wanting him to survive and escape the people chasing him. By the time Monty made his debut, I was completely enthralled with the story.

The thing I loved most about this book was the back and forth banter between Monty and Mieko. I’m a sucker for a beautiful love story and boy did Mark Eric deliver with them. I liked that it wasn’t over the top cheesy, but just enough to see how their feelings for each other were true. I loved the mercenaries, but mainly Dark – I wish there was more on him. I enjoyed every moment with Push; I would love to hear his accent to compare it to what I hear in my mind!

There wasn’t much about the book that I didn’t like, but there were a few things. One was the length of the chapters; some of them were barely a page long. When I got to chapter 70, I found myself wondering what was the point. I think if the chapter were more combined, the book would have been better. I also found it a bit odd that the entire time the mercenaries were working for Hazelton, it never occurred to them what he was actually doing to the people they caught for him. I also wished the cover was more inviting. This one didn't draw me in at all.

Overall I would definitely recommend this book to anyone and it was definitely one of the best books I’ve read in a long time.
1 review
March 22, 2014
The first time I read Benders I couldn't stop smiling. Monty and Mieko charmed me immediately with their banter. I loved their story and adventure. Mieko also ROCKS as she's a woman I can absolutely relate to! Throughout the story...I cried. I laughed. I even growled a time or two. I held my breath and raced through pages. Benders will always have a place in my heart. It was a fun and enjoyable read with thrills, action, drama, and friendships we all crave. I look VERY forward to Mark Eric's next novel and a long career of storytelling.
Profile Image for Dalia.
13 reviews2 followers
April 2, 2014
This book was a great read. If you like romance and action this book is a definite read. The main characters Monte and Meiko have a great chemistry and it only makes for a good storyline. It have fighting, romance, humor and more fighting. It is a must read. Mark Eric
Profile Image for Minerva Rodriguez.
1 review4 followers
May 7, 2014
This is an amazing first novel. It's suspenseful and action-packed. It grabs you from page one and doesn't let up. Monty is a wonderful character and you can't help but fall in love with him 'organically'. I hope to see more of Monty and the crew soon. Bravo on a great beginning!
Profile Image for Susi Keffer.
6 reviews
November 27, 2017
WOW!

Once I started reading, I didn’t want to put Benders down! Mark Eric has an incredible gift for describing situations/people with just the right amount of depth to make you feel like you are right there in the midst of his story. In addition to effectively weaving an incredible intricate story, Mr. Eric includes a few “threads” into his tapestry addressing many present-day issues people of color are facing in America, using the feelings and actions of his characters to illustrate the threads. His approach to these issues is damn near perfect....saying just enough to deliver his points without beating someone over the head with them and running the risk of the reader turning a “blind eye.”

Kudos to Mark Eric. I look forward to reading more of his work.
Displaying 1 - 5 of 5 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.