Start by marking “WARWICK - The Man Behind The Wars of the Roses” as Want to Read:
WARWICK - The Man Behind The Wars of the Roses

WARWICK - The Man Behind The Wars of the Roses

‘A story of adventure, power and influence at the heart of one of the most dangerous times in the history of England.’

Richard Neville, Earl of Warwick, is the wealthiest noble in England. He becomes a warrior knight, bravely protecting the north against invasion by the Scots. A key figure in what have become known as ‘the Wars of the Roses,’ he fought in most of the import
Published March 19th 2014 by WWD

Start your review of WARWICK - The Man Behind The Wars of the Roses
Terry Tyler
Apr 02, 2016 rated it really liked it

Most interesting; this book showed me another side of the fascinating Richard Neville, 16th Earl of Warwick, otherwise known as The Kingmaker. I liked Riches' portrayal of him as a man of intelligence and forethought, not just ruthless ambition. Certainly made me see why he was so opposed to Edward IV's marriage to Elizabeth Woodville, too!

I read this hot on the heels of the author's latest book, about Jasper Tudor; it's clear from reading this that it's an earlier book, simply because
Cindy
Apr 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I truly enjoy reading Tony Riches writing, every single book has held my interest from beginning to end. I am a lover of ancient history and I put his work up with the likes of Sharon Kay Penman and Margaret George and Jean Plaidy. I have read every book he has written with the exception of King Henry and have that cued up next. I can't speak highly enough of his work and it is always a surprise to discover another of his books available. If you are looking for well-written books on the subject ...more
Amy  McElroy
Apr 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
In everything I've watched on TV about the War of the Roses I always disliked Warwick, I found him greedy and lusting for power. I wondered if this book would give the same impression.....

This story follows Richard Neville, from a young boy to one of the most powerful men in England. Warwick does what he can at the beginning purely to make his father proud, it later becomes about his family,  the country and the way he's been treated by those close to Edward IV who are eager to see Warwick fall
Olivia Castetter
Mar 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Ended strong

WARWICK was the fourth book by Riches that I've read. Although I probably shouldn't have read it so close to reading the Tudor trilogy (all the identical names confused me!), I'm glad I did because in was able to see the York side of the cause I'd just spent three books reading of its opposition.
Riches carefully danced the line history leaves us to think of when discussing the Kingmaker. Was he a power hungry political glutton, or was he simply incredibly cunning? As far as I can see
Jayne Quince
Sep 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another interesting historical story from Tony Riches

The story of Richard Neville Earl of Warwick., the 'Kingmaker' is a fascinating one. A man driven by ambition whose power and wealth was unprecedented. His ascent and position seemed destined to prevail until the rift between him and King Edward culminated in his death at the Battle of Barnet.
Tony Riches storytelling is excellent although I found this book less compelling than the previous ones by him that I had read.
Patricia
Jan 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It is interesting to read from this perspective, in the other books I have read it is always from the opposite perspective. I really enjoyed this book.
Paul Murphy
Feb 18, 2019 rated it liked it
disappointing.
Hazel Waite
Apr 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great read

Yet again an incredible book. Tony Riches is an amazing history teller. Brilliant lyrics researched facts and I have loved every word of it.
Sue
Feb 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
A good way to get your head round the Wars of the Roses - all those Richards, Georges, Edwards, Henry!!
derick prentice
Apr 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very easy to read and interesting
Diane Coto
Oct 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
This novel stretched over a period of nearly 43 years – from the birth to the death of Richard Neville III (16th Earl of Warwick). He was later dubbed ‘Warwick the Kingmaker’ because he was instrumental in the deposition of two kings. The ‘War of the Roses’ was a later reference to the battles during 1455 – 1485. It’s an analogy to the Heraldic badges of the two royal houses – that of the White Rose of York and the Red Rose of Lancaster.

I have a bit of historic interest, although usually not of
Mercedes Rochelle
Aug 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Tackling the Wars of the Roses can be a daunting task; I imagine it is even more so for an author. The number of battles and shifting loyalties was staggering. Through an advantageous marriage, Richard Neville became the Earl of Warwick and one of the wealthiest men in the kingdom. During the early struggles Richard managed to stay on top of things until his young protégé, Edward of York turned King of England and took it into his head to marry for love...without telling anyone. Richard got push ...more
Mari Christie
May 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
As an erstwhile pacifist, I am not a lover of wartime fiction set in any era, and by necessity, any book related to the Earl of Warwick must be centered on The War of the Roses in fifteenth century England. However, in Warwick: The Man Behind The Wars of the Roses Tony Riches manages to create an excellent balance between the battles at the core of the epoch and the humanity of the man himself. While loyalty—or the lack thereof—is a theme masterly woven throughout the book (and through the entir ...more
Sarah Butfield
Sep 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Hungry for intricate plot development? Then read this!

I always know that I will enjoy a book when the opening paragraphs grab me. It is like watching the first five minutes of a movie; you either buy into the story or get up and leave.
Warwick is a detailed piece of historical fiction, in which the content provides an easy yet educational insight into a period in history that I had only briefly read into before.
The pacing and flow of the storyline is captivating, and although the story takes a n
Jane
Nov 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This series is great for the historical reader that doesn't mind having the author add conversations, private thoughts, meetings & a bit of poetic license as to the people actually involved in a particular historical meeting. There's a great blend of facts & the author's fiction that creates a believable narration. This book doesn't paint Warwick as a total traitor, nor is he a hero. Warwick was faced with choices & this book shows what he may have been thinking to come up with his decisions. If ...more
Tracy
Jul 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Very well written, thoroughly researched! This is historical fiction with more of the history and less of the fiction, yet still manages to portray not only politics, battles etc but give the reader excellent characterisations to relate to.

Riches gives you a glimpse into a turbulent period of history and into the life of a controversial figure - Richard Neville, Earl of Warwick.

It took me a little while to get involved in this story simply as I found the latter stages of Neville's life more int
Jodi Woody
Mar 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
I was given a copy of “Warwick” by the author, Tony Riches, in exchange for an honest review. I really liked this version. I have read several stories about the other players in the Wars of the Roses and this is the first time I have heard his story. Great historical content. A good representation of the politics of the Royal Courts. A Good read. I give it 4 stars and can recommend to European History lovers.
Cindy
May 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
Very dry book. Even the action scenes were somewhat dull. Not much interaction between characters either, and when there was interaction, there were no more than what seemed about 10 word sentences. Just couldn't get into this book.
emily
Feb 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: roses
enjoyed the book. another point of view of the course of events in the late 15th century.
Zoe Stark
Bethany
Apr 26, 2018
Karen M Cozens
Jun 18, 2018

• The Lord of Ireland (The Fifth Knight, #3)
  • The King's Commoner: The rise and fall of Cardinal Wolsey (The Tudor Saga #2)
  • The Wolf At Large (The Wolf of Corwick Castle Book 2)
  • The Monastery Murders (Stanton & Barling, #2)
  • The Blood of The Fifth Knight (The Fifth Knight, #2)
  • The Queen In Waiting: Mary Tudor takes the throne (The Tudor Saga #5)
  • The Heart of a King: The infamous reign of Elizabeth I (The Tudor Saga Series Book 6)
  • The King's Justice (Stanton & Barling #1)
  • My Father, My Enemy: Juliane, Daughter of Henry I (Medieval Babes, Tales of Little-Known Ladies Book 6)
  • The Fifth Knight (The Fifth Knight, #1)
  • The Captive Princess: Eleanor Fair Maid of Brittany (Medieval Babes, Tales of Little-Known Ladies Book 3)
  • Tudor Dawn: Henry Tudor is ready to take the crown... (The Tudor Saga, #1)
  • The Elizabeth Tudor Conspiracy (The Marquess House Trilogy #2)
  • King in Waiting (Lord Edward's Archer, #2)
  • The Ashes of London (Marwood and Lovett, #1)
  • Longbow (The Saga of Roland Inness #1)
  • MY FAIR LADY: A Story of Eleanor of Provence, Henry III's Lost Queen (Medieval Babes, Tales of Little-Known Ladies Book 1)
  • The Falcon's Rise: A novel of Anne Boleyn
Tony Riches is a full-time author from Pembrokeshire, West Wales, an area full of inspiration for his writing.

Best known for his Tudor Trilogy, Tony's other international best sellers include 'Mary - Tudor Princess, 'Brandon - Tudor Knight' and 'Katherine - Tudor Duchess'.

In his spare time Tony enjoys sailing and sea kayaking. Visit Tony's website at www.tonyriches.com, Tony Riches Author on Fac

News & Interviews