Start by marking “Hard Knocks (Ultimate, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
Hard Knocks (Ultimate, #0.5)

Hard Knocks

(Ultimate 0.5)

In the stunning prequel novella to her new mixed martial arts series, New York Times bestselling author Lori Foster brings together an elite fighter and the woman he’s determined to win.

Power. Brute strength. Unforgettable moves. It’s no wonder Harper Gates hasn’t been able to get her fling with Gage “Savage” Ringer out of her head. Months have passed since she laid eyes—o
Published August 4th 2014 by Harlequin HQN (first published August 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Hard Knocks, please sign up.
Shelby I haven't read Hard Knocks yet, and I went straight to reading No Limits. They mention Gage and Harper a little bit in No Limits, but it's not…moreI haven't read Hard Knocks yet, and I went straight to reading No Limits. They mention Gage and Harper a little bit in No Limits, but it's not necessary to read Hard Knocks first if you don't want to. :) There's no plot holes. (less)

Pam
3 stars

They say that everything happens for a reason, and for Gage, his reason is Harper. Hard Knocks is a short novella introducing us to the men who live to fight and love to live. It was fun, it was sexy and is enough to make you want more. This wasn't the case of insta-lust, it was a point in time story, as we understand where they have been and the possibility of their future.
Lana ❇✾Dirty Girl Romance❇✾
3.5 Short but worth it Stars

Ever since I first discovered Lori Foster with my first SBC fighters, Causing Havoc (SBC Fighters, #1) by Lori Foster and then binging and reading the entire series back to back, I have been hoping and HOPING that she will write another MMA series. It only makes sense, right? The author is a huge fan of the sport and she writes some of the best steamy contemporary romances, so the combination is golden.

When I saw the title and author of this book, I jumped at the chance to read it. I didn't even bother to read th
Sher❤ The Fabulous BookLover
3 Underwhelming Stars

I did skim the last few chapters because it was a bit boring. I hate doing that because I know a lot of hard work goes into writing, but it was either skim it or DNF it.

-The dialogue was impersonal.
-It's in 3rd person and lately I'm more partial to 1st person.
-I could not seem to get emotionally attached to either H/h.
-The little mini plot just didn't work.
-The romance was just not there.

Will I read the rest of this series? Maybe after I finish reading every book on my
Jen
It was so nice to be back into Lori Foster's world again! Her first MMA series I fell in love with a few years back...and truthfully; she is who got me started being curious about the sport. Her series was just so well done! Now to see that there is a new series being started, with a whole new group of fighters...Well...I am so there! I couldn't tell you why I have let these first few books sit on my TBR pile for so long..but I am glad that I finally picked "Hard Knocks" up!

This one is a novell
Claire Robinson
3 - "Loving you makes sense." Stars!

A quickie introduction to the authors Ultimate series, told around the reconnection of Harper and Gage after he returns from training for a fight that never happened due to picking up an injury.

"It seems like I’ve wanted you forever…"

Quick and sexy, this is a couple that doesn’t waste any time letting each other know exactly what they mean to the other.

Plenty of character introductions, and lots of potential for the following books in the series. I like this a
KatLynne
In this prequel to LF's new Ultimate series readers are introduced to the characters who'll most likely get their own page time in upcoming installations. This short story gives readers Gage "Savage" Ringer and Harper Gates' journey to happy land. While not bad, I failed to feel a deep connection between this couple mainly due to the shortness of novellas.

That being said, I'm looking forward to reading No Limits, the first full length novel featuring sexy MMA fighter Cannon Colter.
❤️ Dorsey aka Wrath Lover Reviews ❤️
3 Stars

Everyone who knows me knows how much I love Lori Foster so it pains me to give a 3 star rating for this novella. Novella's are a hit or miss, sometimes they work and other times they are unfortunately lacking.

I didn't really feel the powerful connection between Gage "Savage" Ringer and Harper Gates the H&h in this story as I normally do with LF couples. They have a history together which we get a simi back story of their relationship but not enough for me to make a connection to th
Jonetta
It's a new series, a spinoff of Foster's Love Undercover series. One of my favorite secondary characters from the last two books, Cannon Colter, is an SBC mixed martial arts fighter who will be featured in the first book.

In this story, we get a very strong introduction to some of the characters we can expect to see more of in future books. Foster smartly focuses on one of the fighters, Gage "Savage" Ringer, who's been in a semi-platonic relationship for years with Harper Gates. No need for a lo
Dee
2.5 Stars

It was ok for a short story but probably not essential to the rest of the series.
Danielle
Feb 19, 2017 rated it liked it
WhiskeyintheJar/Kyraryker

Hard Knocks is the prequel novella to Lori Foster's Ultimate series and it was definitely enough to make me want to spend more time with this group of characters. The story introduces us to a group of fighters who all train at the same gym, most of them are in different weight ranges so rarely compete against each other and there is a great bond between them all. The fighters are very supportive of each other and I enjoyed the banter between them.

This particular story is about Gage and
Shanna
Aug 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
ARC provided by Harlequin via NetGalley in exchange for honest Review

WOW Just WOW!

I know I always say this but Lori Foster knows how to write romance, and she also know how to write fighters and their alphaness. I love them both. Gage and Harper don't have an overly elaborate story cause to be perfectly honest they don't need one. I really like how cool Harper is, she comes in, hangs with the guys, she tries to not be in Gage's way, which is a bit diffferent from most heroines. But when she re
Courtnie
I think everyone should just take a moment to appreciate this cover.

Phew.

Okay, now that that's done.

New-to-me author Lori Foster offered about what I expected. A quickie. A nice short-story about Harper and Gage finally getting down to business AND using the "L" word.

What I liked most was that Gage was a "big, strong fighter", but not an alpha asshole. And that he and Harper had an established relationship prior to the book - with growing up as friends which progressed to dating recently but w
Jonel
Feb 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle
This novel was an intriguing look at the live and relationship of a MMA fighter. There are scenes so hot that I swear there was steam rising from the pages. These scenes intermingle with down to earth, real life interactions between the characters. Foster definitely brings the rec centre & the world surrounding it to life.

I love the way that Foster puts Gage’s inner turmoil and struggle to paper, not only does it give you a deeper sense of who he is but it also develops the story in an unmi
Dina
Aug 05, 2014 rated it liked it
Recommended to Dina by: Kindle freebie
Nice and quick read that got me interested in reading the following full-length books in the series. There isn't much more one could ask from a free short story, right? ;)
Meagan
Jun 29, 2014 rated it liked it
This might actually be more of a 2.5 for me, but I'm feeling generous because it includes one of my favorite romance things: the fighter hero. I don't know what's going on there, really. I don't like boxing. I don't like MMA. I suspect that real-life fighters are more macho, aggressive, and overconfident than I could actually enjoy. But give me a fighting romance hero and I am one happy camper.

The problem with this particular book, I think, is that it's not only a novella, but also a prequel. No
✰ Bianca ✰ BJ's Book Blog ✰

description

description

Ultimate Fighter Gage has to sit out his first big fight - he hurt himself training and now he's back home at the rec center to watch the nights' fights on tv. Half the town is there with him. Including Harper - she's been in his head for years now. They've always known each other - and she has always been secretly in love with him. But he didn't know that - she's flirting and talking to all the guys at the gym.

Before he left for training camp a few months ago they kind of started dating, nothin
✰  BJ's Book Blog ✰Janeane ✰
Jan 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sports-stars
I love a book about a sexy, fit, fighter.

Hard Knocks was a great start to the Ultimate series by Ms Foster. I do love a good book about a MMA fighter.

It is often hard with a novella to get enough information across to the reader, but I did not feel that this was the case with this book.

We learn enough about Gage and Harper's previous kind-of-but-not-really relationship that I did not feel that I was missing anything.

We also learn a little about the rest of the fighters at the rec centre, and I a
Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews
Slick‘s review posted on Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews

4 STARS

Review copy provided for an honest review

Hard Knocks is one of those books that’s hard for me to review because it’s not a typical Lori Foster book, it’s a prequel and because it’s a prequel it’s much shorter than her usual and without her normal fantastic character development. That being said, Hard Knocks is the perfect prequel to introduce readers who might not have read her Love Undercover series to the characters and the premise b
Laura the Highland Hussy
Review posted on Got Fiction?
That was meh.

Lori Foster is one of those authors who is really hit or miss for me. She wrote the Love Undercover series and the connected Men Who Walk the Edge of Honor series, and I loved every book! But the novella that kicks off her Ultimate series (also connected) sort of sucked. Novellas are just not her strong suit. I guess it’s supposed to be sweet, but it came off like a couple of horny teenagers who couldn’t keep their hands off each other. We have very litt
Julie
Hard Knocks an Ultimate Novella by Lori Foster is a 2014 HQN publication.

Before Gage left to train for the biggest fight of his career, he and Harper had a good thing going. But once Gage left for training he never contacted Harper, leading her to believe he had moved on to bigger and better things which no longer included her. But, when the doctors KO'd his participation in the fight due to an injury, Gage comes back home feeling very disappointed making him not very good company. But, he forc
Gretchen  (About That Story)
I loved this story! Sexy and highly entertaining from the start. Gage and Harper are great characters, I got a real sense of who they were.

Everything moved along at a nice pace. There was lots of longing, a bit of tension and an excellent amount of heat. I like how everything developed and the outcome. I was grinning like a fool by the end.

I loved meeting all the other MMA fighters. They had great comradery with one another as well as with Harper. I could see snippets of their individual person
Heather
Jul 16, 2014 rated it liked it
This novella was a bit like just okay sex: nothing bad about it, but not all that satisfying either. I think that is partly because of the format. With the additional factor of being a prequel, I just didn't have the time to feel connected to the characters. That being said, I loved Foster's SBC series, and am looking forward to seeing what this series brings.
Marlene
Aug 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Originally published at Reading Reality

Hard Knocks is a short teaser that shows readers just how Lori Foster is planning to combine two of her series ( Love Undercover and SBC Fighters ) into one sizzling story.

getting rowdy by lori fosterThe action takes place at Cannon’s rec center. Cannon was an important side character in Getting Rowdy (reviewed here), the third book in Love Undercover . Cannon is a mixed martial arts fighter who is training himself to fight in the SBC. While training, he becomes Rowdy’s ba
Jackie

BOOK SYNOPSIS

Power. Brute strength. Unforgettable moves. It’s no wonder Harper Gates hasn’t
2kasmom
Aug 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing

Hard Knocks is a short novella that focuses on Gage and Harper while also introducing a myriad of characters that will make up Lori Foster's new series, Ultimate. Gage is a mixed martial arts (MMA) fighter who through a slight mishap ends up injuring himself enough during practice that he is medically nixed from competing in his next match. Harper has known Gage
Lisa
Jul 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: earc, kindle
Goodness let's just start by this cover! Wow Lori Foster must be one of the luckiest author's when it comes to covers. This is a sneak peek into a brand new series. If you have read some of Lori Foster's back list you might have read her previous MMA series. There is supposed be appearances by some of those character's that series and there are in book one coming out later this month. As for this novella it's a quick fast glimpse into the series starting out with a bunch of the secondary charact ...more
☕️Kimberly
Mar 27, 2014 rated it liked it
Hard Knocks was the perfect teaser to Lori Foster’s new Ultimate series featuring mixed martial arts. The series will feature yummy alpha fighters and strong woman. This novella packed a punch as Gage “Savage" Ringer and Harper Gates take the next step in their relationship. I consumed the story in a single sitting and it left me eager for more...

The tale takes place at the martial arts center Cannon created and a lot has changed since it was first opened. Gage is there after an injury kept him
Roz ~ My Written Romance
You can read my other reviews at My Written Romance.

I was provided with an ARC of this book by Harlequin via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

4 out of 5

I really enjoyed the set-up of the new Ultimate series, and it was a lot of fun learning about the fighters around whom the story is centred. Being a novella, this part was really well-handled (how could it not be in Lori Foster’s hands).

The romance between injured fighter Gage and Harper is hot, sweet and showcases exactly what Lori Fo
  • Knock Out (Billionaire's Club: New Orleans, #1)
  • Her Winning Formula (Hot & Nerdy, #3)
  • Bucking Hard
  • Capturing Cora (Romps and Rakehells, #1)
  • Fanning the Flames (Jackson: Girls' Night Out, #0.5)
  • The Boy Who Knew Me When (From Boys to Men Trilogy, #1)
  • Making Him Sweat (Wilinski's, #1) (Harlequin Blaze #740)
  • Bring on the Heat (The Boys of Summer, #1)
  • Amazing Grace (The American Soldier Collection, #3)
  • Clover (Flower Child, #1)
  • Heart of Steele (Hot Country, #2)
  • One Night with the Playboy (Whiskey River, #5)
  • Storm Warnings
  • Counterpunch (Belonging, #2)
  • Her Rancher Rescuer
  • Mr. Virile and the Girl Next Door
  • Only For You (Only For You, #1)
  • Menage on 34th Street

Lori hosts a very special annual “Reader & Author” event in West Chester, Ohio. Proceeds fro

Ultimate (4 books)
  • No Limits (Ultimate, #1)
  • Holding Strong (Ultimate, #2)
  • Tough Love (Ultimate, #3)
  • Fighting Dirty (Ultimate, #4)