Start by marking “Winterkill (Winterkill, #1)” as Want to Read:
Winterkill (Winterkill, #1)

Winterkill

(Winterkill #1)

Where Emmeline lives, you cannot love and you cannot leave...

The Council's rules are strict, but they're for the good of the settlement in which Emmeline lives. Everyone knows there is nothing but danger the other side of the Wall, and the community must prepare for the freezing winterkill that comes every year.

But Emmeline struggles to be obedient under the Council's suff
Published September 30th 2014 by Faber Faber (first published September 2nd 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Winterkill, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Winterkill

Tanja (Tanychy) St. Delphi/James
Review also posted at Ja čitam, a ti?

Sometimes you just have to trust your gut. Here is the thing. I have seen the cover for this book a while ago and fell in love with it. This book has been on my wishlist for a long time, but then I started seeing some not-that-nice reviews for it and I cooled off. But my gut is something I always trust and it told me to go for it. I did and surprise, surprise it was totally worth it!

Firstly, I'm glad that this book haven't got labeled as retelling as I'm not
AH
Sep 14, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Oh, where to start?

After reading about 20 pages of this book, I was ready to throw in the towel. I made myself read up to page 100 to see if things changed and the story did improve, but not enough for me to rate this book any higher than one star.

I found the writing distracting. The book is set in a village where people speak English or French. Since I live in a city where people speak both languages and sometimes do not notice which language they are speaking, I found that the way this book wa
Rebekah
Jul 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Um...WOW! Read this in one sitting. It was THAT GOOD. I didn't know what to really expect from this book and as I started reading it I thought it was going to be a remake of the movie The Village by M. Night Shyamalan but I was wrong! I was completely hooked by the end of paige one. Then I thought please don't let it be like the book The Forest of Hands and Teeth because I hated that book but I read on intrigued and wondering where this author might take this story.

This book is dark, creepy, rom
Rayne

The Village meets The Forest of Hands and Teeth meets The Hallowed Ones.

Winterkill is a very atmospheric and lovely-written story that, though it has plenty of tension and suspense, feels long-winded and loses its effect halfway through the book because of the slow progression of the few events that take place in the novel. Ultimately, although it does have a couple of interesting new aspects to it, Winterkill is basically just like every other standard YA dystopian novel out there.

All
Beth  (YA Books Central)

"They are isolated....but not alone..."

So I will have to admit that the first thing that grabbed my attention towards this book.....was the cover. I mean what a seriously wicked, creepy cover. Winterkill is written in stakes in replace of fence posts, there is snow covering an entire village, and a young girl with a red robe running through it. Yep...I had to have this one.

Winterkill is about the journey of a young girl named Emmeline that is determined to discover the truth about her village.
Soumi

"They are isolated....but not alone..."

Winterkill is basically a rip-off of the movie “The Village.”

Let me tell you the resemblances.

Both, the book and the movie, were set in a walled village/town in middle of nowhere, surrounded by deep forest where mysterious creature roams; the beings are called here “malmaci” and in The Village they were called "Those We Don't Speak Of."

Aside from the similarities with the movie, the Setting is vague. A very little history behind how the village came to ex
Tammie
"Emmeline knows she’s not supposed to explore the woods outside her settlement. The enemy that wiped out half her people lurks there, attacking at night and keeping them isolated in an unfamiliar land with merciless winters."

That part of the book description is what really made me want to read Winterkill. What was it that was lurking out there in the forbidden woods? The answer wasn't really all that surprising.

I liked this book, but I didn't love it. I got annoyed with Emmeline a few times
Zoe and the Edge
I find dystopians in which religion is heavily involved extremely creepy.
This book takes a while to warm up. I wasn't a big fan of the colonial setting and their slang and way of talking.
What I did appreciate was the mystery and Emmaline's bad leg. The author does some really marvelous work on that.
Emmaline is on the outside of the community. Her grandma did something bad and she carries the village people's rejection. Although it would seem that she is more concerned about it than most peopl
Alicia Batista (Addicted Readers)

4 Stars

Wow, what a surprisingly thrilling ride WINTERKILL was!! I was sure WINTERKILL was not going to be "My kinda book" but WHOA, my mind was changed pretty quickly! I highly enjoyed WINTERKILL, but I wasn't sure on how I was going to feel after it started. It was kinda slow, and dragged in the beginning. It felt like nothing was really happening besides a girl wanting to go out in the woods beyond. But it changed quickly after the first 15-20%, then I was in full flow of in engagement! I wa
Nov 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Originally review for an Author Spotlight here.

Winterkill is one of those books where no matter how long I make my review I still wont be able to get my entire point across. There aren't enough words in the English language to represent how much I enjoyed this book. I have been sitting on this review for almost a week and I am still at a loss for words but I am going to try to form the review this book deserves.

I ADORED Emmaline's character. She was so strong and brave. Her grandma'am has put a
Emma
Jul 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya
This book has already drawn instant comparisons with M Night Shyamalan's highly-disparaged film The Village. However, I am one of those nuts who absolutely ADORES The Village despite critical consensus, so that was nothing but a selling point for me, and you know what? Winterkill absolutely lived up to the creepy beautiful gothic vibe that was the main thing I adored about The Village. But that alone wouldn't make it a good book, and this was a REALLY GOOD BOOK. It was scary and tense. It was or ...more
Anisha
Aug 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book as well. I stayed up until 2:45am reading it. At first it's a bit slow but when you get in to the middle it's so a really awesome book. Some bits are in French but the writer has translated it in a way which I really like and I can't describes and I would really like there to have been a second and third book. But unfortunately there isn't.
Maria Dimitrova
May 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy
I picked Wintekill expecting it to be a fantasy novel and up until to last few chapters I was convinced it was. But by the time it was revealed what the malmaci is I was so caught up in the story that I no longer cared! I liked everything about this book (well almost everything) even though there was nothing exceptional - the story itself is quite familiar and I found it easy to slip into that world. There wasn't enough world building in my opinion but considering the setting it can be expecte ...more
Megan
Jul 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
Winterkill: Follow the Wayward Path by Kate Boorman was one of the best books I've read in a long time. I got the book free through a First Reads giveaway on GoodReads.com. Boorman is a fantastic writer! The characters, the time, & the setting seem so real. As I kept reading the book, I kept imagining something like an Amish or Puritan society. The main character is a 16 year old woman named Emmeline. She struggles with the stigma of being "stained", of having to bare the weight or her grand ...more
Steve Altier
Aug 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was fascinated by the village they lived in, I wanted to learn more what was happing with the council members. Emmeline was a very likeable character, her waywardness was a nice way of saying she didn't follow orders very well. Kate Boorman, Great job! I had a hard time putting this book down. Yes I did order the sequel. Darkthaw, 5 of 5 stars for Winterkill.
Lauren Elizabeth
I'm going to make this book review as short as I can:

The first half of this book was flawless(could've made its way into my favorites). Second half sucked.... Really bad.

*sigh* Final rating; 2.5 stars...

...I'm very disappointed...
Carina Olsen
This is my second time reading this book. I first read it almost three years ago now. Back then I gave this book a five stars. I loved it a lot. Yet I didn't read the sequels when they came out. And so now I decided to re-read this book, so that I can finally get to read book two and three. Oh. I'm not sure how to say this.

But, well. This time when reading this book I didn't really like it at all. And it breaks my heart. Because I do remember that I loved it. I had forgotten just about all the d
Grace (LovingDemBooks) Z.
Buy this book HERE on Amazon or buy this book HERE on BookDepository with FREE WORLDWIDE SHIIPPING

I received a finished copy of this book before the release date from the publisher for free in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.

2.5 of 5 stars. Please read my rating system further below. As a die-hard fantasy lover who hadn’t read a fantasy in over a month and a half, reading Winterkill to me seemed like a breath of fresh air, something to pull me back into a genre that
Heather A
My feelings on this book are somewhat mixed.

On the one hand, the good things I enjoyed about it was the writing was pretty good, the story telling was fairly captivating and it made quite a good page turner.

But a lot of things bothered me.

For starters, the setting. Unless I missed it, the reader is not given any sort of setting. We're told its a small settlement somewhere where there are deathly cold winters and the township is guarded by high walls and a locked gate at night and in the winter
Bang Bang Books
It started off so well and then…
Winter is Coming or in this book, La Prise is coming.

Emmeline lives in a fenced in settlement and she is Stained with the bad deeds of her grandmother. No one in the settlement is to commit wayward acts, especially venturing outside the fence/gate, or it would mean a trip to the Crossroads. Emmeline of course is curious and is determined to clear her Stain.

Dang, that was Good

*The Writing-Boorman is a debut author and her writing is beautiful. Her writing has a rom
Catherine Linka
Nov 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A few weeks ago, Kate Boorman interviewed me for a podcast. She was so charming and kind that when I realized I had WINTERKILL in my to read stack, I picked it right up.

The opening paragraph is a knockout.

"Out here, I can feel the dead in the trees. The Lost People rustle the leaves, muddy the shafts of light through the branches, whisper in my ear. They creep dusty fingers along my neck, tug at my braid, pull strands from my plait to tickle my face.

Or mayhap it's the wind."

Boorman's writing is
Kelly
Aug 29, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Winterkill, Winterkill, Winterkill. Oh, how I wanted to love you. When I first saw Winterkill's gorgeous cover, I needed it in my life asap. The cover just looked like a little Red Riding Hood retelling even though the summary of Winterkill says it's anything but a little Red Riding Hood retelling. But who cares, the gorgeous cover could make me read anything it contained. Too bad in the end, I'm crying over the failed potential this gorgeous book had and how its summary lied to the world.

Honest
Janine
Jul 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It seems like so often there is a division between books that are beautifully written and "literary" and books that are plot-driven and "commercial." No division here. Winterkill delivers both lyrical writing and a suspenseful plot. I was pulled along by Emmaline, her bravery and her confusion, and by all the different threats that seemed crowded around her. I honestly couldn't put it down, and let's be truthful: lots of other things I should have been doing this afternoon. I regret nothing.
Angela
Apr 18, 2014 marked it as second-copy  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal, paper-arc, ya
17 July 2015: $3.99 on Kindle
Laurie
Jul 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
The writing in this one is absolutely to die for. With a compelling cast of characters (and an LI that just doesn't quit!), Emmeline's story is one not to be missed! Pick this one up, y'all!
Olivia
Jan 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a refreshing read. It was so suspenseful and intriguing, it forced me to read it in one sitting. I can't say one bad thing about this book. Definitely a excellent read.
Jen (The Starry-Eyed Revue)
An advance copy of this title was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

This review can also be found at The Starry-Eyed Revue.

Alright...show of hands. Who among us didn't add this book to our TBR strictly based off of that awesome cover and font treatment? That's what I thought. I myself was immediately drawn to the book based on the fence spelling out the title of the book and the Red Riding Hood -vibe I was getting from the cover. And it served me well because I really e
Tiffany
This is a solid three star read. I really enjoyed the writing style and the story was intriguing enough to keep me reading on. I liked the characters however I felt that the motivations of the, well he's not really a villain, the antagonist wasn't believable. Brother Stockham fell well below the mark of a convincing evildoer other than just being misguided due to his rotten father. I just felt that there should have been more substance in the plot. Plus I figured out the plot twist pretty early ...more
Sand-Witch
Jul 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Its a pretty good book filled with lots of action and suspense. I really enjoyed this book and found it entertaining. There's nothing in it at the end but yeah, i guess the storyline was ok.
Courtney (Storybook Slayers)
I was on the fence while reading Winterkill. The writing was done well, captivating even. The world-building piqued my interest. But the pacing. I was reading a story told at glacial speed. Half the time I didn't know if I was bored or if I was on the verge of finding out something new in the story. It was frustrating to the point where I would take prolonged breaks from reading just because I didn't know if I wanted to keep going or just call it quits.

Pacing aside, Winterkill was enjoyable over
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Tabula Rasa (Tabula Rasa, #1)
  • The Bodies We Wear
  • The Aftermath (Aftermath #1)
  • Extraction (Extraction, #1)
  • Lark Rising (Guardians of Tarnec, #1)
  • Winter Falls (Twin Willows, #1)
  • Blues for Zoey
  • Winter Damage
  • Strange Skies (Burn Out, #2)
  • Blackout (Annum Guard, #2)
  • Suspicion
  • Donna of the Dead
  • Falls the Shadow (Falls the Shadow #1)
  • Hungry
  • Blackfin Sky
  • The Memory Keepers
  • End Times
  • The Unseemly Education of Anne Merchant (V, #1)
Kate is a freelance writer and artist from the often-frozen Canadian prairies. She has a nice family and a well-indulged travel bug. She also has an irrational fear of birds, so when you visit, please leave your bird at home. But do visit.

www.kateaboorman.com

Winterkill (3 books)
  • Darkthaw (Winterkill, #2)
  • Heartfire (Winterkill, #3)
“Fighting yourself is torture, and it's better to harness the pain than drown in it.” 1 likes
“Salvation and survival can be at odds.” 0 likes