Start by marking “My Last Kiss” as Want to Read:
My Last Kiss

My Last Kiss

3.69  ·  Rating details ·  1,051 Ratings  ·  276 Reviews
What if your last kiss was with the wrong boy?

Cassidy Haines remembers her first kiss vividly. It was on the old covered bridge the summer before her freshman year with her boyfriend of three years, Ethan Keys. But her last kiss--the one she shared with someone at her seventeenth birthday party the night she died--is a blur. Cassidy is trapped in the living world, not onl
Published June 10th 2014 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux

To ask other readers questions about My Last Kiss, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Last Kiss

Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
Aren’t ghosts supposed to have some sort of agenda? I really hope mine isn’t to haunt my boyfriend’s bedroom. That is way too clichéd.

“Why didn’t you stay with your body?” he finally asks.
I meet his eyes and the only thing I want to say is I came back to be with you, I stayed for you.
Sure, you could compare this to The Lovely Bones, in the same way that you could compare Twilight to Bram Stoker's Dracula. It's pretty much the same thing, really, with a few minor differences. The "few minor dif
Wendy Darling
Started off fine, but got progressively more convoluted and ethically messed up as the story went on. Also SO annoying that a number of the characters also had nicknames--and some of them had more than one! Sheesh.
AH
Update 12/25/14 My Last Kiss was chosen as one of Badass Book Reviews favorite Young Adult/New Adult Romance books of 2014. Read all about it here.

So I am wavering between 4 and 5 stars for this excellent debut novel by author Bethany Neal. This is a cross between a ghost story and a murder mystery with a young adult slant. It is a powerful story told from the point of view of the main character Cassidy who at 17 died. The circumstances around her death are iffy: the police think it was a suicid
Blythe
This was a lot of fun, and a really inventive spin on the common murder mystery. Really, really good stuff. Think The Lovely Bones meets Pretty Little Liars.

Also, called the killer within the first 100 pages. *high fives self* But still, holy intensity towards the end.

Review to come.
Amy Plum
A thrilling story of love and betrayal where a teenage girl must not only face her actions in her former life but discover which of her friends was her killer. A bittersweet contemporary romance that had me in tears in the final pages.
Stuti (Turmeric isn't your friend. It will fly your ship
Abandoned at 45%.

The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new.
~Samuel Beckett, Murphy

The book told on, having no alternative, the nothing new. The exceptionally boring nothing new.

My First Kiss has been compared to The Lovely Bones, and I cannot express how ardently I agree with this statement. Both are supremely slow and monotonous, the main character's voice doing nothing to remedy that, even in their phantom state.

For the first half of the book- the only part I read- Cassidy Ha
SoWrongItsRANDI {Bell, Book & Candle}
Bell, Book & Candle | My Last Kiss Review

I swear, this should be a cautionary tale for those who cheat--- right beside Fatal Attraction. This is another book I randomly came upon while up to no good with my friend in Barnes and Noble. Don't ask; don't tell. I must've skimmed the synopsis on back, because if I had realized how much of a tear-jerker was I might not have bought it. I hate (in a good way) books that make me cry.

This was quite the emotional rollercoaster of a book. I'm not going
Kim at Divergent Gryffindor
My Last Kiss is about Cassidy, a girl who died on the day of her seventeenth birthday party. Cassidy is trapped in the living world, and only her boyfriend, Ethan, is able to see her. Cassidy can't remember anything from the night she died, and to uncover the truth, Cassidy must relive the moments leading up to her death. With the help of Ethan and Aimee, justice will be served.

To be honest, I found the first few chapters of My Last Kiss annoying because of how whiny the main character is, and t
Chrissy
Jul 17, 2014 rated it did not like it
Believe it or not, I actually do hate writing negative reviews -- especially when a book has been kindly provided to me expressly for the purpose of writing said review.

But I hate lying more than I hate negativity, so here we go....

Usually I start out with a lovely, flowy description of the plot. However, I think I can sum that up in just one sentence. So, here we go....

A girl cheats on her boyfriend with a pothead, ends up dead, everyone thinks it's suicide, she thinks it was murder, she stays
Merril Anil
Jun 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-book
Brilliant Plot
This is by far one of the most brilliant plots I have read in a long time. It provided me something very different from the usual young adult novels which basically revolve around a couple and their love chronicles sometimes going too mushy or sometimes mixed and wrapped up with paranormal elements.

“My last kiss” is not devoid of romance, heartbreak and other essential young adult stuffs but what makes it interesting is the wicked plot line that just gets more and more intense as
Ksenia
A girl trying to piece together the circumstances of her death. What a page-turner! So many great twists and turns.
Stacee
Mar 21, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2014
This entire book is filled with topics that are serious business for 17 year olds and I'm not sure how I feel about the execution of it.

What I liked:

•Ethan and Aimee. They were both such good people and treated Cassidy so well. Ethan could be one of the best boyfriends ever written, so it was pretty sad to see things revealed.

•The idea of the story. It's pretty clever to have your MC dead and able to figure out what happened. The jolting back and forth between the present and That Night took
Jessica (Goldenfurpro)
This and other reviews can be found on The Psychotic Nerd

MY THOUGHTS
This book was completely unexpected! Based on the title and the synopsis, I was expecting a girl who was unfaithful before she died, which didn't sound like my kind of story. But I have a very odd fascination with the afterlife, so I decided to read this anyway. It was nothing like thought it would be! Maybe I didn't look at the synopsis closely enough, but this book is more of a murder mystery, expect from the point-of-view o
Alyssa
May 17, 2014 rated it liked it
***Review posted on The Eater of Books! blog***

My Last Kiss by Bethany Neal
Publisher: Farrar, Straus and Giroux
Publication Date: June 10, 2014
Rating: 3 stars
Source: ARC sent by the publisher

Summary (from Goodreads):

What if your last kiss was with the wrong boy?

Brandi Kosiner (Brandi Breathes Books)
I wanted to read this because I enjoy these sort of "ghost" or afterlife stories. It is a spin-off of the amnesia because it becomes a quest for her to figure out what led to her death and if her last kiss was with the wrong guy.

It drew me in right away because Cassidy has a voice that feels natural. She is in really stressful place because she is watching her death scene and then ends up in the morgue with her own body. Then she visits family and the boy who was her perfect first kiss. She d
Farrah
May 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
An intriguing YA read, full of engaging mystery, surprising secrets, and sweet romance, My Last Kiss was a just wonderful. I really liked this book and I really enjoyed reading it.

Cassidy was a good heroine. She had her flaws, but she was a generally good person who was dedicated to those she cared about. And she was determined to find out what happened the night she died and make amends for it. I thought she was a likable character.

Ethan was Cassidy's boyfriend and he was a total sweetie. He wa
Kaitlin
Apr 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2014
*I received a copy of this book for a blog tour in exchange for an honest review.

I was so, so excited to read this book and I'm very happy to say that I really enjoyed reading it! My Last Kiss had this eerie atmosphere to it that I loved. It was a great feel to the story that made me even more interested in what was going on. The book also had flashbacks (which I usually love) that went well with unraveling the mystery piece by piece. The author did such a good job with this part of the story. W
Bella
Feb 17, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So I did not know going into this one what is was about but I have to say I am happy I read it. It was page turning and very interesting. Neal made it easy to follow along with each chapter and each flash back.

She is seventeen years old and still in high school. She died on her seventeenth birthday and she can’t remember a thing. She really doesn’t remember much about it at all and learns things about that night as she has flashbacks. Some flashbacks revealed things about what happened, and som
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
I have a great love for books about ghosts and an even bigger love of a good solid mystery, and when you combine the two, I really do get excited. I can't help it, the inner paranormal, mystery loving girl in me goes a little crazy and squeals with delight.

This was such an unusual read. One full of the mysteries you would expect from a dead girl with very little memory about how she got that way and the struggle she has with excepting her fate and trying to help those she loves come to terms wit
Ruby  the boston terrier
Mar 28, 2014 rated it did not like it
This book was a dare that my friend dared me. This book was really just... bad. I stopped in it because I could not finish the book it was just really bad. I think its bad because the first part is of her kissing this boy and had no backstory to it. Its just these two random people dramatically kissing. And the next parts is that she died. THE PERSON DIED???!! The person Cassidy whose the main character is in the first part and a couple pages later, well she died. And guess what NO BACKSTORY AG ...more
Heather
Jan 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I felt this book has a unique approach to the dead — possibly murdered — teen novel. And, well, while you might get and idea of whodunnit, I felt it kept me guessing right until the end. I thought I knew who it was for quite awhile, but I only briefly considered the real individual behind the tragic event that is the center of this book. The pace is pretty fast, and I found that this was one of those books that very quickly sucked me in. It was one I really wanted to find time to read — and Heav ...more
Riyana
Jul 04, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: coverly-love
Me after reading this:
 photo 25_zps3edac1cd.gif

it's such a shame tho, THAT COVER IS BEAUTIFUL. and the book is exactly the opposite.

yikes.
♫✯Em loves Hollenstein✯♫❤the summertime and butterflies all belong to your creation❤
DNF at 93 pages. too boring, i just read the end. maybe someday i will try again
Jenni Arndt
Apr 17, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc-own
I’m beginning to think that YA murder mysteries just aren’t the thing for me. Movies filled with twists and turns and murder, yes please! But for some reason it just never feels like it is pulled off as well in book form. My Last Kiss is basically a murder mystery featuring stupid decisions and supercharged teen hormones that had me cringing at the explanation behind everything that happens.

We start the book off seeing MC Cassidy’s very first kiss that she shared on a bridge with the boy she lik
Tanya
Jun 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
I won this book in a First Reads giveaway.

My Last Kiss is about a girl named Cassidy who died at her birthday party. The police have ruled it a drunken suicide, but she knows it was murder. She comes back as a ghost and has to figure out what really happened to her so she can rest. Her boyfriend, Ethan, is able to see her and helps her figure everything out.

I like the author's writing style and the story was engaging. I didn't want to put it down and kept thinking about the book while I was at w
Ashley Finnegan
May 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs, reviewed-titles
This book is about a girl, Cassidy, that dies right after her birthday. She knows that she is dead but she has no real recollection of what happened to her. She enlists the help of her boyfriend Ethan to help her because for some crazy comsic reason he can see her but he is the only one that can.

When Cassidy is not with Ethan she is slipping off into recent memories to relive the past trying to remember what happened in the few weeks leading up to her death or she is with her two best friends Ai
Jeff Raymond
Now listen, boys and girls, as this book has a very important lesson. Stay tuned for spoilers.

This story is of a girl who dies via drowning, falling into a lake off a bridge in the middle of the night. She's now a ghost, not so much haunting her old friends and places as much as stuck, trying to figure out the unfinished business that's keeping her tethered to this world.

Why does this book fail? In part because there's no consistency to how her ghostiness works, but, perhaps more importantly, th
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
Sama Aziz
Mar 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Okay so when I first picked this book up, I thought it was gonna be awesome. But I read the first chapter, and sort of got bored... But I'm not a quitter. A week later I picked it up again and finished it. Bethany did not disappoint me at all. This book was amazing in so many different ways. You guys HAVE to read it!
Ryley (Ryley Reads)
3.5 stars.

This book was good, but not spectacular. It was told through Cassidy, a dead girl's, POV and it reminded me of the Lovely Bones meets Burn for Burn.

There is a lot of mystery over whether or not she killed herself or if someone else was involved.

I definitely didn't guess the ending, wow!

Like I said, I enjoyed the book but it's definitely not an all time favourite.
  • The Summer Invitation
  • The Prince of Venice Beach
  • Summer of Yesterday
  • Wicked Games (Wicked Games, #1)
  • The Secrets of Lily Graves
  • Dark Days
  • Vivian Divine Is Dead
  • Mayday
  • Nantucket Red (Nantucket, #2)
  • Six Feet Over It
  • The Things You Kiss Goodbye
  • Evidence of Things Not Seen
  • Second Star
  • The Break-Up Artist (Break-up Artist, #1)
  • Iron Pendulum (Periodic, #2)
  • A Blind Spot for Boys
  • Falls the Shadow (Falls the Shadow #1)
  • Ask Me
Bethany Neal writes young adult fiction with a little dark side and a lot of kissing from her Ann Arbor, Michigan home. She graduated from Bowling Green State University and has worked as an interior designer, photographer, teacher's assistant, and figure skating coach. When she's not writing she teaches writing workshops at the public library.

Her debut novel My Last Kiss was lauded as [the movie
More about Bethany Neal
“So che non ci resta molto tempo, perciò dico le ultime due cose che voglio sappia fin dal momento in cui ho capito che era in grado di vedere il mio fantasma. «Io… ti amo e… mi dispiace così tanto».
«Lo so. Ti amo anch’io», ripete, la bocca sui miei capelli. «Basta dispiaceri». Si allontana da me, adesso riesco di nuovo a vedergli il volto. «Lo sai che cosa vedo nel fiume?». Esita un istante, poi continua. «Te. Sempre te».
Ogni singolo atomo di me esulta. Le mie labbra riescono a formare un’ultima parola, un’ultima promessa. «Sempre».”
3 likes
“You don't have to be embarrassed about falling all over me. I'm sure you must have used up your coordination in dance class." -Mica” 2 likes