Start by marking “Slave and Sister” as Want to Read:
Slave and Sister

Slave and Sister

Adelaide Mannheim and her slave Rachel have grown up with a shameful secret. Adelaide’s father is Rachel’s father, too. Their secret shadows their girlhood together and follows them into Adelaide’s marriage. As the Civil War breaks out, Adelaide’s husband falls in love with Rachel, and the lives of mistress and slave are torn apart.

Slavery made them kin. Can the Civil War
Published March 11th 2014 by Sabra Waldfogel (first published March 6th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Slave and Sister, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Slave and Sister

Trudy
Jan 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: april-challenge
I'll admit the title of this book turned me off. Just felt like it was going to be unrealistic fluff.( BYW, I enjoy a fluffy book when I'm in the mood.). However a Goodreads friend, Carole, gave it very good reviews and we share many books in common. So, I decided to give it a try.
It is a very well researched story presented in a rather "lite" manner. That fact alone will give it positive reviews. Reminds me of what I used to do as a teacher when presenting certain subject matter to my student
Terri Bullock
Oct 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved every word of this novel. Characters so well developed and the story so real that I almost felt that I was there, experiencing their pain, anger and sorrow. I would love to see this novel made into a movie. The way the author writes, I could almost feel the heat, the breeze, and see the cotton fields, and the slaves working until they were so weary they could barely fall asleep. I can't wait to read more from this author.
Clarissa
Nov 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shomeret
Oct 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
I was interested in the Jewish aspect of this novel and received a free copy of the e-book through the Slave and Sister blog tour.

It’s important to realize that slavery was part of ancient Jewish history. The Biblical patriarchs owned slaves. Abraham had a child with the slave Hagar who was Ishmael, the ancestor of the Arab peoples. Just like the Mannheims, the household of the patriarch Abraham contained Isaac, his heir who was the son of his wife, and Ishmael, the son of a slave, growing up si
Tom Edelinski
Sep 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great story telling

This was one of those books that you wish was longer. There's so much more of the story to tell. I would be certain to read any sequel that may come out in the future. All off the characters are well developed and the pace is quick from beginning to end. I'm kind of sad that it's over (the story, that is).
Marilyn Peterson
Feb 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A great read, definitely a 5 star book. The characters and the relationship between slave and master is intriguing as the story develops. Then add the factor of a Jewish landowner and master who has his own view of slavery. I certainly am ready for another book written by this newcomer author, Sabra Waldfogel.
Heidi Harsch
Oct 26, 2014 rated it liked it
Interesting reading

This fictional story of two sisters, one white one black during the Civil War era. The author made the characters believable. Also incorporating Jews during this period. Historically on the mark.
Cynthia Williams
Sep 15, 2015 rated it liked it
I am fascinated with the topic of slavery in the south and particularly the relationships between slaves and masters/mater's families. This was not incredibly well written but still a gripping tale of just that sort. I enjoyed it and would recommend it for that reason.
Nancy  L Thompson
Oct 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A great story

I can't find any fault with this story. Whether it's accurate or not , it's very believable. Great characters and a very compelling story. Great job Sabra.
Tea
Dec 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Nice piece of historical fiction

Well written piece of historical fiction about the antebellum south. Not too long either, I would definitely recommend this book.
Patricia
Aug 27, 2017 marked it as to-read
EXCELLENT BOOK CAPTIVATING
Ellen Winokur
Jan 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book shows why slavery is wrong. The Civil War was fought to show that everyone is created equally. Slave and Sister had an interesting Jewish component that had a strong impact on me.
Darlene
Oct 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Originally posted at http://www.peekingbetweenthepages.com...

Slave and Sister by Sabra Waldfogel is a sweeping saga that takes you back to the time of the Civil War. This is a story of plantations, slavery, war, love, family, survival, and the bonds we share with those we love. It is a story I loved and will not soon forget.

One is black and one is white but they share a secret and that is that they have the same father, a Jewish plantation owner. Rachel becomes Adelaide’s maid at a young age and
Hadley Barrows
Sep 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Here’s one to read. This is a skin-in-the-game kind of novel. Waldfogel takes you places with a certain hand, but never makes you feel led. The next part of the story dawns on you. Then the next part of the story happens. Not exactly in the way you thought but in a way that makes you say, “Ha!”

Here’s another thing. When I met my husband, he didn’t drink red wine. I liked red wine and drank it anyway. He liked me and so he drank it sometimes too. Then later he confessed that he didn’t like red wi
Joyce
Slave and Sister tells the story of 2 sisters, Adelaide who is white and daughter of a plantation owner, and Rachel her half sister and slave, also daughter of the plantation owner but also daughter of a slave. Although Rachel is a slave, she is brought up as Adelaide's maidservant which meant she had closer ties than the average slave. Adelaide's family is Jewish which adds another dimension to the story. The relationship between Adelaide and Rachel becomes more complex after Adelaide marries H ...more
Denise
Aug 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
Would make an excellent book club selection because there are multiple levels being developed in this story. 1. The emotional and physical struggles of female slaves who were forced into sexual situations by white owners, family members, and acquaintances. 2. The concept of property in antebellum southern society when dealing with the buying/selling of humans. 3. The effects of free and slave offspring within the same families. 4. The overwhelming societal demand for women to marry in the 1800's ...more
Carole
This will be one of my favorites for the year. A Goodreads friend recommended it to me. She said it was a self published book, and hadn't been advertised. The story is of 2 sisters, both daughters of the Master of a cotton plantation. One born to the mistress of the house, the other to a slave. The owners of the plantation are Jewish, and the story explores slavery in Egypt to slavery in the south. It's a beautiful tale of love and hardship, one that creates characters with depth. If you enjoyed ...more
HI5O
Dec 26, 2015 rated it liked it
Something is off

I deplore reading a story where not one of the main characters are root worthy. While slavery is a very serious part of American history, I find the depiction of Rachael unbelievable. Just how could a slave be so powerful and bold? This plot is too contrived for me.
Aug 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great story

I wasn't sure I would like this book. It highlights one of the ugliest facets of slavery. However, the prologue drew me in and I was hooked. It's one of those books that insist you stay up half the night just to find out how it ends. If you like Civil War era fiction, I recommend this book.
Lora Burch
Dec 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful Read!

I enjoyed this book very much. I have always been intrigued by the Civil War history, but this book added a factor that was totally new to me. I had never heard of Jewish people living in the South much less of them having slaves. Very interesting I formative book. it was very well written and I hope Wanda Waldfogel continues to write many more books.
Carol A. Thorud
Jul 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Excellent Book about Slavery in the South During The Civil War

I deeply enjoyed reading this book! The author weaved the interrelated lives of the slave owners and, the slaves themselves,effortlessly and believably together. An incitetful look at some of the true feelings between sisters that were born into totally different roles within the war time culture of the South!
Kathy DeShong
Aug 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
"Slave and Sister" by Sabra Waldfogel was an excellent novel set in the era of the Civil War. Girls who knew they were half sisters but still had the relationship of slave and master, and how the emancipation proclamation changed that relationship and made it stronger in the end.
Deborah Beijer
Aug 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Life in the south before the civil war with Jewish plantation owners and their relationships with their slaves. I didn't realize there were Jewish Planters. It was a very good read, great building of characters and a few twists and turns. I enjoyed it very much.
Cea1123
Mar 29, 2015 rated it liked it
Thoughtfully written

I love historical fiction however I have never read anything regarding Jews owning slaves in the south. Very insightful and surprising since Jews were also once slaves.
Cindy
Aug 29, 2015 rated it liked it
When I started this book I was so excited as I felt I was finally reading another 5 star novel. Although I enjoyed it enough to finish it, the middle dragged for me and I had a hard time getting through it. The premise was interesting but the plot and writing were only 3 start for me.
Keck26
Jan 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Great book and loved the main character's thoughts and commentary. What a scary, unsettling time to live. I liked how the book closed and the characters learned to live with each other at the end of the war.
Pat
Aug 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Excellent

For a first novel, Sabra Waldfogel wrote a wonderful story. It is a story of two sisters, one white and one black during the Civil War. They come to terms with their relationship. I would recommend this book to anyone that likes historical novels.
Allan H. Goodman
Jul 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Thoroughly enjoyable story and good character development.
Cindy Gibbs
Apr 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Loved it!

So interesting to read about these relationships. I fell in love with these characters and am sorry this story ended.
Judy
Oct 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
What a great book! I loved it!! It was a very good story and a page turner, didn't want to put it down!! I highly, highly recommend this book !!!!

• The Secrets of Casanova
  • A Dark History: The Popes
  • His Last Mistress
  • Deadly Fantasies
  • Baudelaire's Revenge
  • William's Wife (Queens of England, #10)
  • Elizabeth: Renaissance Prince
  • Passing through Perfect (Wyattsville, #3)
  • The Last Queen of Sheba
  • Fish and Grits
  • Life in Defiance (Defiance, Texas Trilogy #3)
  • When Rain Falls (Victory Gospel Series, #1)
  • Pears on a Willow Tree
  • The Last Kestrel
  • Abiding Darkness: A Novel (The Black or White Chronicles, #1)
  • Forest Gate
  • The Silent and the Lost
  • The Pianist in the Dark
Sabra Waldfogel grew up far from the South in Minneapolis. She studied history at Harvard University and received her Ph.D. in American History from the University of Minnesota and since then, has been fascinated by the drama of slavery and freedom in the decades before and after the Civil War.

Her short story “Yemaya” appeared in the Winter 2013 Fiction Issue of Sixfold. Her first novel, Sister of
“milk brothers.” It was a brotherhood that wouldn’t survive their earliest years. A little white boy of seven was a Massa in miniature. A little brown boy of seven was a slave.” 0 likes