Start by marking “Axel's Pup (Werewolves & Dragons, #1)” as Want to Read:
Axel's Pup (Werewolves & Dragons, #1)

Axel's Pup

(Werewolves & Dragons #1)

As the landlord of The Dragon’s Lair and leader of The Black Dragons Motorcycle Club, Axel Carmichael has seen it all and done it all. He’s a respected and experienced dom. Nothing shocks him any more, and nobody catches him off guard.

When Bayden rides up to The Dragon’s Lair on a bike worth more than most men earn in a year, and immediately demonstrates that he has far mo
Published March 11th 2015 by Kim Dare

To ask other readers questions about Axel's Pup, please sign up.
Kim Dare Hi :)

Hi :)

Book 2 will stay with Axel and Bayden's story and follow how their relationship progresses as the world around them changes. Tentative title is Bayden's Alpha, even more tentative publication date is some time in 2016.

Later stories will probably feature other main characters. Some of those will be introduced in Book 2 - including some more werewolf characters.

Hope that helps :)(less)
Kim Dare Hi Esther!

Hi Esther!

Yes - I do have a pairing like that planned for on one the future books in the series - actually there might be a few pairings like that :) The first relationship like that will be introduced in the next book and will probably be the main couple in book 3.

Hope that helps,

Kim Dare(less)

Start your review of Axel's Pup (Werewolves & Dragons, #1)
Tanu Gill
Feb 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reread
I have lost count of the number of times this book has lured me back to itself, cooing like a siren and grabbing me in its velvet clutches, not letting me go until I succumbed to the temptation and reread it. "Just one more time..." it whispers always, almost lovingly. As if I don't already remember every detail and subconsciously complete all the dialogues already!

I am deeply in love with the simple yet attention-riveting writing of this story, the strong yet vulnerable characters. It is almost
Judith
No rating.Not finishing for now @ 30%

It's really not the book's fault and I really liked the two main characters Axel and especially Bayden.But it's definitely confirmed that books with a Bdsm element are not my thing.
Plus,it's a long book and if I'm struggling at 30% it's definitely time to bow out.
Friends have really rated this so please don't let my negativity put you off.
Kaje Harper
This book isn't perfect, but I found myself rereading it and loving it again, a week after the first time. That earns a book 5 stars from me.

In this alternate-world contemporary, werewolves were discovered, captured, and declared second-class citizens by humans a few generations ago.

Axel is a gay man who runs a biker bar, which is also a club for gay men who are into BDSM. He leads The Black Dragons Motorcycle Club, and acts as the top Dom in the bar as well, as owner and keeper of the rules.
Deborah
Mar 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is one of the hardest reviews I've written so stick with me.
I'd read the blurb and I'd read some of the reviews but I wasn't quite prepared for this book and if I'm being totally honest there were times I wish I'd never started it but yet I couldn't put it down.
I'll try to explain.
Bdsm isn't really my thing, now don't get me wrong I've read a lot of books revolving around this but it's the characters and their relationship that work for me the bdsm is just a means to an end, something I ca
Sheziss
Pup.

Sir.

Good boy.

Ayssssssss.

I’d like to say this book was hot and leave it to that.

It would be so simple.

But this book is not simple.

It reads simple, I grant that.

But it’s nothing of the sort at all.

I don’t know how she does it but she does it.

It’s addictive. And I don’t need anything else. I don’t need sleep, I don’t need food, I don’t need sun. I can listen to her voice for hours and hours and hours. It’s mesmerizing.

Different from the other humans.

And those are the most dangerous ones.

That’s
Susan
Apr 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Susan by: Elsbeth
Re-read May 2020
It's been a while since I last read this book, but I can honestly say that I still really love it. Even if regular BDSM doesn't float my boat anymore, this was still quite wonderful.

--------------------

First: look at that cover. It’s so beautiful... And that guy is so Bayden.

What an excellent hurt/comfort BDSM story. With werewolves!

description

Werewolves are no secret in this society. But people do consider them less than human. They get paid half of what a human gets paid, they have to pay
T.J.
Jul 01, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars.

First MM book I've read since 2013. Weird, right? I mean, I write in this genre, and I was a reader long before I was ever published. But when life went to hell, the very last thing I wanted to read was gay romance. Writing it was enough for me.

So why the change now?

I dunno. I guess I wanted to see what I've been missing these past few years.

I like this author's work, especially Duck, and when this came up on my dash, I thought, Ooooh, I just wrote a book about werewolves, so let's see
Tanu Gill
Sep 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Chelsea
Re-read- September 2019 - Wow this is my forth read of the book. Still so good, I fly through those 600 pages. Hopefully Baydens Alpha is now on the horizon.

March 2017 - Still perfect.

December 2015 - God I love this book, I just can't put it down, which is odd for me with really long novels. I am sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo happy there will be a sequel (eventually), I may have cried if it had been the end of Axel and his pup.

Review

I knew writing this review would be hard, the
Ingie
Review written June 21, 2016

4.7 Stars - Angsty, rough, painful and so dearly beautifully sentimental at the same time. All my emotions were on the edge.
 photo image_zps2lwmsejr.png

There are a lot of good reviews for Axel's Pup and I agree with them, this is a interesting story. I loved Duck (5 stars) back in 2013 but oddly enough still haven't read more Kim Dare M/M since. — Axel's Pup is pretty long (>550 pages is a lot) and a mixture of motorcycle club, shifter PNR and D/s (BDSM) romance. — Felt like a good I
Optimist ♰King's Wench♰
Another KD Classic!

I think it's well known that I'm a KD fan. Her writes give me the warm fuzzies with her never-ending ability to put the heart into kink, I tell ya.

If memory serves this is her 100th published work and while I've not read her entire backlog, two things stood out while reading Axel's Pup, the first being that it's abundantly clear she put her heart and soul into this novel, and secondly, I think she pushed the kink envelope outside of her comfort range. I ain't mad about that.

Fabi
Absolutely blown away by this book. The combination of unique story and star narration is nothing short of excellent. 👏👏👏

Even more astounding, this high praise is coming from a reader who doesn't normally enjoy D/s stories. An author who can take a reluctant reader and immerse them in a tale that keeps them spellbound, ignoring the uncomfortable tummy twists to stay glued to the ongoing plot is an author who deserves a standing ovation.

👏👏👏👏👏

Utterly unique plot involving BDSM, Bikers, & Werewolve
Vivian
Apr 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
A bit long-winded, but how can you loose with a full length Dare novel--you can't.

Interesting social commentary as well as finding your place, finding balance, and finding the truth of you and not what others say of you--family or foe. All the possessive Dom goodness and deserving sub that you could want. Seriously, a few instances of repetition that I suppose meant to highlight how easy miscommunication is which was a bit aggravating, but made the finally epiphanies all the sweeter.

Overall, a
Sunny
4.5, rounded up

A few scattered thoughts...

The opening scene hooked me immediately and my interest was kept until the very end. For such a long book, it still had Kim's writing style that I love...simple words, sentences that conveyed so much meaning and emotion. I ate it up, all those words that made me melt, shiver, worry and rage.

First kisses...omg *fans self*

I loved the D/s dynamics as they related to lupine pack dynamics, and how Axel picked up on the subtle nuances involved and used them t
Gigi
568 pages?? I'll save this one for when I retire. Seriously, that is just too long for me right now. But it sounds so good!
~ Lei ~ Reading Is An Adventure ~
★★★★☆ ~ 4 Stars

MMRG 2015 Member's Choice Award
Best BDSM
1. Axel's Pup
Best Hurt/Comfort
2. Axel's Pup

If you plan to read this, settle in because it's long, lol. Could it have been cut? I don't think so because Axel had to prove to Bayden not only was he different but had to learn how Bayden's mind/motivations worked, which took time to build trust.

At the heart of Kim's books is always that sweetness that runs through the story and it's not missing here. Axel waited Bayden out and was a friend and
A.B. Gayle
Mar 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bdsm, glbt-romance
It's no secret that writing long books has always been physically demanding for Kim Dare. She's produced a couple in the past, but often we have had to be content with her shorter offerings.

When I saw the length of her latest release I nearly "creamed my jeans" to borrow a cliched phrase. I would even have been happy if she'd stopped at the halfway mark as already I'd got more than my money's worth. But then I would have missed out on so much more good stuff. Each added chapter served a purpose
Annery
When does a 600+pages/20+hours audiobook leave you wanting more? When is a shifter/motorcycle club/BDSM novel really about society, otherness, cultural oppression and so much more? The answer to both is Kim Dare's brilliant Axel's Pup paired with Chris Clog's Master Class in narration. I'll start with the AB while I try to summon up coherent words about the book.

There are about 5 to 7 main speaking characters, two of them women, plus a number of extras, and you are never in any doubt as to who
Ami
Is the length an issue? NO. All the pages are amaizing!
Is there too much drama? NO. The drama doesn't seem to bother me if the characters are super interesting. These characters and this world are super interesting.
Does it take a long time or too much time for them hook up? NO. I don't remember why I was nervous about this but it was unfounded. They hooked up and it was good and hot AF. Period.
Will you feel like you are dying inside because the sequel is not out yet? NO. At least I don't thin
Dalia
Apr 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, shifters, bdsm
“You’re going to cum in your leathers when you see what’s just rolled up outside.”

Axel Carmichael raised an eyebrow at his friend. “A boy or a bike?”

“Both.” Griz hauled himself up onto a barstool. “A stunning boy, straddling the most spectacular bike you’ve ever seen. I’d sell my right nut to take either for a ride.”
Axel Carmichael is an owner of The Dragon’s Lair pub and a leader of The Black Dragons Motorcycle Club. He’s also a respected and experienced dom. When he sees Bayden wa
Jewel
Still a favorite!

--------------Orig Review 23 Mar 2015---------
I had not read this author before, but I enjoyed Axel's Pup enough that I am sure I'll be reading other novels by Kim Dare.

Axel's Pup is a shifter novel where wolf shifters are not only known, but they face an enormous amount of discrimination. Wolves are not allowed to form packs, no more than 2 adult wolves (age 21 and older) can congregate anywhere, so young wolves are pretty much forced out on their own at 21, and they're not all
Dee Aditya
Mar 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who's in the mood for an epic hurt/comfort/love story
My love for this book is endless. Just.

This book had me hooked from the first line. I read this secretly under my books during class. One of my friends almost caught me right in the middle of a smutty bit, but that did not deter me. Oh no. I had to finish this book.

This is the sort of book I adore, where both he characters are developed fully and there's a real and caring connection between the two leads. The submission and the Master/sub dynamics in this book are beautiful. Everything is subtle
Karen
Mar 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm-read
Apparently disappearing reviews are a thing that happen everywhere. I use to do my reviews here and copy them over to BL but they kept disappearing on me sometimes when I barely got started or halfway or my favorite just as I was all done and ready to hit the save button like today when I did this review over on BL and was all happy with it because this was a really good book and I liked it a lot. I wanted that to show in my review and it did...until my review randomly disappeared so now I have ...more
Jilrene
I can't believe I'm giving a BDSM book 5 stars. This was so outside my comfort zone. I really needed to get out of my head and forget real life for a bit. This book did the trick.

Well. I need new words to express my shock at loving this book. I didn't understand D/s or BDSM before. I probably don't really understand it now, but in this book, I get it. Axel and Bayden explained it all so well. Not only did I get lost in the story, but I reveled in it. Bayden's need to submit and belong is so cle
Cory
Mar 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Wow! The emotions I felt while reading this book. Anger, sadness, joy...it was a wide range that's for sure. I got so much more out of this book than I expected. It was truly great!

Bayden, where do I even begin? What a proud little wolf. He did what was necessary to survive and to help his family. The way wolves were treated was horrible. He not only accepted it, but he went out of his way to not cause trouble and to keep his head down. He was sweet and vulnerable, but he was also strong and det
Tamika♥RBF MOOD♥
First Read:4-4-15
Second Read: 5.1.16

Ooh I hope Hale is the next dragon to get a werewolf.

Dude this was a super long book. I really enjoyed the domination/submission side of the book. It is the most exclusive one I've read about. Axle is so the freaking man. From the moment he stepped on the page I was intrigued about him. I loved everything he did in this book, honestly if I was into D/s relationships I would totally go sub crazy over him. Bayden I wanted to wrap up in a hug. I don't t
Ja Ella
Oct 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Undecided between 3 and 4 stars, so I'll go for 4.

I can't remember the last time I read a BDSM book, really can't remember why I gave up on that genre, maybe it wasn't that interesting anymore for me. But this is the first time I read a MM BDSM one, an I'm sure it won't be the last one. MM is much more interesting!

I liked this a lot. The chemistry between Axel and Bayden is OFF the charts. Beside Bayden being a werewolf, there isn't anything else paranormal in it. I liked them together and I lik
Shannon
Mar 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: aa-recommend
Okay, I'll admit that I actually whined because it had seemed like I'd been reading forever and I looked and saw I was only 20% in. What? Well the wrong page count was on GR and at the old 378 pages I thought I was losing my mind. However, after seeing it was actually 560 pages...okay, that makes sense. Was I whining because I was bored? Oh hell no. It was fantastic. I knew it was great because I spent the entire book pissed off at how shifters were treated in the world created here. Bayden just ...more
Jason Bradley
Mar 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Yummy!
Michelle
Sep 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Excellent! A book about BDSM that isn't about abusing the sub. In this case, it's the absolute opposite actually, the Dom is the only one who cared whether Bayden got injured or not. No one else cared, not even Bayden himself. It was a story about a Dom who actually cared for his pup and didn't treat him like shit (pardon my French, but I simply couldn't find a better word for it). I enjoyed this story, and I would happily recommend it to anyone. Go ahead and read it, it won't leave a sour tas ...more
Romance Readers R...: June Buddy Read - Axel's Pup (J.C., Ezinwanyi) 21 40 Jun 28, 2018 02:02PM

• Nowhere Ranch
  • Strength of the Pack (The Tameness of the Wolf, #1)
  • Strength of the Mate (The Tameness of the Wolf, #3)
  • Change of Heart (Change of Heart, #1)
  • Pup (Guards of Folsom, #1)
  • Wake Me Up Inside (Mates, #1)
  • Claimings, Tails, and Other Alien Artifacts (Claimings, #1)
  • Strength of the Wolf (The Tameness of the Wolf, #2)
  • Until Forever Comes (Mates, #2)
  • Wolf in Sheep's Clothing (Big Bad Wolf, #4)
  • How to Howl at the Moon (Howl at the Moon, #1)
  • The Devil's Ride: Coffin Nails MC (Sex & Mayhem, #2)
  • Blue Mountain (Pack #1)
  • The Wolf at the Door (Big Bad Wolf, #1)
  • I'll Be Your Drill, Soldier
  • How to Train Your Dom in Five Easy Steps
  • Without Reservations (With or Without #1)
  • His Roommate's Pleasure
Kim is a thirty-three year old bisexual submissive from Wales (UK). First published in 2008, she has since released almost 100 BDSM erotic romance titles ranging from short stories to full length novels. Having worked with a host of fantastic e-publishers, she has just moved into self publishing.

While she has occasionally ventured towards other pairings, Kim's first love is still, and probably alw

News & Interviews

“I don’t think you’re going to start a riot, but until you prove you have more survival instincts than a seriously stressed out lemming, you’ll stay at the bar.” 8 likes
“I don’t think every kind of pain makes people stronger. Some pain just hurts,” Bayden said.” 6 likes