Start by marking “Hacking Happiness: Why Your Personal Data Counts and How Tracking it Can Change the World” as Want to Read:

In Hacking Happiness, futurist and contributing Mashable writer John C. Havens introduces you to your “quantified self”—your digital identity represented by gigabytes of data produced from tracking your activities on your smartphone and computer. Harvested by megacorporations such as Google, Facebook, and Amazon, Havens argues that companies gather this data because of its ...more
Published March 20th 2014 by Penguin

To ask other readers questions about Hacking Happiness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hacking Happiness

Eric
Dec 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I received the book for free through Goodreads First Reads.

In his introduction, John C. Haven says that "you have to take action regarding what defines your life to truly see what brings you joy." In order to do this, he argues, you have to use hacking (in the philosophical sense of "creative reimagining of a long-held idea") and the world of technology (like apps) for self-examination to figure out what makes you happy. Haven lays out three concepts he seeks to prove in the book:

1. Data is gett
 wade
Mar 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a book about how people can make their lives better through better control over their technological lives. The thesis is that there are many benefits with computers and smart phones if they are used effectively but there are many dangers also. Havens focuses a great deal on how our personal data if being spread to the government and corporations without our knowledge. He suggests that we should control our data and even sell it and he suggests "apps" in which this might be accomplished. ...more
Martin Hohenberg
Uninspiring. More a portrait of what is out there currently, less about implications or an outlook about what more sensors in our lives might bring.

One of those books who will get obsoleted by technological progress in few months, and become only interesting to historians.
Ghoule
Dec 30, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Le principal problème du livre d'Havens, c'est qu'il s'agit en fait d'un article transformé en essai de plus de 200 pages. L'auteur y répète ad nauseam son hypothèse : nos décisions ne devraient pas reposer sur notre capacité à créer de la richesse, mais plutôt à générer du bonheur par des actions altruistes, dont la mesure publique par des outils technologiques augmenteraient de manière publique notre réputation.

L'utopie de Havens me semble être tout indiquée pour se transformer en dictature :
Natalie
May 30, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: got-tired-of
Too hard to figure the point of this book. The intro was so wordy I nearly gave up before finishing it. I couldn't tell if this was about the future of data, the past, or an argument for something else. It sure didn't relate to my happiness, however.
Nada
Dec 17, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: r-sa
Hacking H(app)iness: Why Your Personal Data Counts and How Tracking it Can Change the World by John C Havens is about taking charge of the data about ourselves out in the cyber world. It addresses the questions: If the data about any one individual was accumulated, what picture would it draw? Would we recognize ourselves in that picture? What if, we, as individuals, took ownership of our data and used it to further our own goals? An interesting new perspective on happiness research.

Read my compl
Blythe Christopher
This book had some great insights on how our personal data can help us navigate our lives. He also added in Augmented Reality and how our data can be considered as "layers". The social equity aspect also intrigued me as much of our lives (data points) will be "tracked" and we will have a score. Much like Klout on steroids— our actions will leave a trail and we will have to manage our digital selves. Will our hidden lives (our decisions/data) hinder us or help us? This book brought up some great ...more
Reader Chard
May 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay this is clear- it is here and more to come. Fascinating, quick read. Didn't really take me three years
Jessica
May 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting ideas on the "quantified self." I love futurist writings in general and I particularly like Havens's positive, altruistic vision.
Luca
Michael
Sep 05, 2014
Roman Libov
Jul 13, 2016
What is the best way to offer advance reader copies of my new book? 1 1 Jul 18, 2015 08:48AM

• Instructions to the Cook: A Zen Master's Lessons in Living a Life That Matters
  • Dream Year: Make the Leap from a Job You Hate to a Life You Love
  • Spychips: How Major Corporations and Government Plan to Track Your Every Move with RFID
  • Reskilling America: Learning to Labor in the Twenty-First Century
  • Old Masters and Young Geniuses: The Two Life Cycles of Artistic Creativity
  • Stealing the Network: How to Own an Identity
  • Beautiful Security: Leading Security Experts Explain How They Think (Theory In Practice, #28)
  • Data Science For Dummies
  • Boards That Lead: When to Take Charge, When to Partner, and When to Stay Out of the Way
  • Nightwork: A History of Hacks and Pranks at MIT
  • Digital Transformation Playbook: Rethink Your Business for the Digital Age
  • Unauthorised Access: Physical Penetration Testing for IT Security Teams
  • Counter Hack Reloaded: A Step-By-Step Guide to Computer Attacks and Effective Defenses
  • Stealing the Network: How to Own a Continent
  • 21 Dog Years: Doing Time @ Amazon.com
  • Infinite Vision: How Aravind Became the World's Greatest Business Case for Compassion
  • No Tech Hacking: A Guide to Social Engineering, Dumpster Diving, and Shoulder Surfing
  • Inside Intel: Andy Grove and the Rise of the World's Most Powerful Chip Company
I'm a contributing writer for Mashable and The Guardian, as well as the author of two books: Hacking Happiness and Heartificial Intelligence. The focus of my work for the past three years has been on the intersection of emerging technology and wellbeing. My goal is to encourage people to examine their lives in a purposeful way to increase their sense of worth and joy.

I'm also the founder of the n