Start by marking “Awaken (Awakened Fate, #1)” as Want to Read:
Awaken (Awakened Fate, #1)

Awaken

(Awakened Fate #1)

**Only 99 cents on Kindle, Nook, Kobo, and more!**

Running away from home was never Chloe Kowalski's plan. Neither was ending up the target of killers, or having her body change in unusual ways. She only wanted a vacation, someplace far from her crazy parents and their irrational fear of water. She only wanted to do something normal for once, and maybe get to know her best
Kindle Edition
Published June 3rd 2014 by Wildflower Isle (first published May 29th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Awaken, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Awaken

Imogene Dacanay
It was an okay book. Thus, 3 stars!

The plot is kind of flat, there weren't twists and turns that will blow a reader's mind and keep him anticipated.

The storyline was consistent, and the pacing wasn't too fast neither too slow.

Skye Malone's writing style is too simple, but it's somehow good. I think it's just lacking.

Malone made a make-believe world that is truly different from all the mermaid-themed books. It was complicated, but she managed to make it clear and distinct to her readers. Th
Babel
Aug 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An exciting portrait of a modern girl becoming a mermaid in the most shocking way. Very good.

Review from Babel at Torre de Babel http://torretadebabel.blogspot.com

The angle of the novel is YA, so the dialogues between the teen characters are suitably juvenile. As to the plot, I found it engaging particularly in how it unfolds in ways that enhance the mystery. Chloe's magnetic pull towards the ocean is described in an appealing and vivid fashion. So much that I felt the attraction myself!

From the
Alisa
Jun 11, 2014 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars for me.

I really enjoyed this book. For some reason, I just like mermaids. I say, "for some reason" because I can't swim so obviously, I'm not a water person, LOL. But I've always been fascinated with mermaids probably because of my fear of water. Always wondering what's lurking beneath the waters and our oceans. Plus the idea of mermaids ... just awesomesauce.

I do believe this falls under YA. I was hoping it was NA. It was very engaging and interesting. I loved the history aspect of it
Joey Woolfardis
Another tweeny protagonist with a vocabulary of approximately 12 words. Not even if you paid me. Not even if it was between life or death.
Taylor Fenner
Jul 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, favorites
I received a copy of Awaken in exchange for an honest review.

All Chloe Kowalski wanted was to see the ocean, but her crazy water-hating parents said a big fat NO when she asked to go on vacation to the California coast with her best friend, Baylie. So Chloe does what any sensible teenager would do - she goes anyway, running away from home.

At the beach house owned by Baylie's extended family, she meets Diane and Peter, parents to Baylie's stepbrothers, Maddox and Noah. Chloe has had a little bit
Lorna
Jun 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: paranormal
It hasn’t been two or three weeks since I made a statement that I wasn’t a fan of mermaid books, in a review for another site. I am about to take back those words. This book is YA, but as usual I completely enjoyed the whole thing.

Chloe is a teenager from Kansas, with extreme water phobic parents. She is just the opposite and can’t wait to see the ocean for the first time. She gets invited by her best friend, Baylie, to go with her to visit relatives on the coast of California. Her parents aren’
Proserpine
Jun 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Awaken was a total surprise. It's a different and refreshing mermaid story that combines many supernatural being, handsome and awkward situation but mostly an interesting background story that held me captive until the end!

I was greatly surprised by the turns of events, the secrets and many discoveries I found throughout the book were intense and exciting. I have to mention the talented author of this book: Skye Malone who has many gifts such as awesome storyteller, great written skills and a wo
Nicole
Jan 18, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hated
This is a review for the series through book #5

I like the overall concept of this story, the idea of mermaids and such, and the curse that keeps them near the water, the Beast... But honestly it was very slow and lacked development. I got several books in the series at once for a really great price, so I kept reading hoping against hope it would improve, but alas it just got worse.

I don't mind stories that follow multiple threads, actually I love them, but this, this was a bit much for me. The e
Olivia Williford (LivTheBookNerd)
4 stars!

I was sent a physical paperback copy of this book for an honest review by the author/publisher

Some of it was really cliche and some of the stuff that happened was too convienent, but this was a really entertaining book. I can't wait to read the second book. I really really need it! Review going up in September on my blog!

www.livthebooknerd.blogspot.com
Tasha
Nov 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
!!REVIEW COMING SOON!!
Opal
Oct 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book from the author for my honest review.

"Mermaid, Chloe. That's what humans would call you. Or, you know, merman for me..."
I wasn't really sure what I was thinking going into this series just for the simple fact that I've never read a mermaid book before but I ended up pleasantly surprised. The writing style was great and guided the storyline fairly well. Without spoiling anything I will say I got kind of caught up a bit in the middle when Chloe finds out she's a mermaid and wh
Tracy
Aug 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was interesting. Even though there was a point where I felt like not much happened for quite awhile (in the middle of the story), I didn't feel like it dragged or anything. Thank goodness. I loved lots of things about this book. I especially loved the last 20% or so. I really liked the whole "drawn to the ocean" thing, the spikes, Noah and (view spoiler), the mer-cult and I also loved how Chloe ditched h ...more
Rebecca Davison
Feb 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! Totally Awesome Read!

OK, I now officially love mermaids. Skye Malone opens you up to a whole new world surrounding mermaids. I love it when an author can surprise me with unexpected twists and turns that make the story that much better. Malone is truly a talented author. She gives us just enough to always want to know more. I can't wait to read Descend, book two, but first you mustn't pass this book up. Its really an exceptional story.
Carmen
Jun 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing!

Two worlds collide. Action, it's such a great storyline. I cannot wait to read what happens next. What I didn't like was the couple curse words throughout the story but I did enjoy it. I am a big fan of mermaids and this happened to intrigue me more. I think I found a new favorite writer! Keep up the great work!
Amarie Avant
Aug 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good read. I was suprised to find out exactly what Chloe is and how her parents tie into everything. I'm a romantic at heart and both Noah and Zeke have saved her life so it's hard to chose who I want for her... even though she clearly liked Noah best. About to start book two.
Jessie
I am giving it a 3 because while it was a very interesting book, it took a while for me to get hooked into the book. It actually took me the longest to read! The ending really did pick up and I will be ordering the second one soon. :)
Amanda (Good Choice Reading)
Jun 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
I rarely enjoy a mermaid book, but I liked this one! Review to come during upcoming Blog Tour.
Belinda
4,5 stars - it is possible that this review has spoilers-

Awaken is the first book in the Awaken Fate series by Sky Malone. Awaken follows two views to the story. That of Chloe and that of Zeke. And I think the balance between the points of view between this two is good. Chloe does not have a clue of what she is. She is totaly unformiliar and even a little freaked out about what she becomes and the point of view told by Zeke makes the balance in this.
It is easy to read. You keep turning te pages
Charles Ray
Sep 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Chloe Kowalski lives in Kansas, but she has an obsession with the ocean which she can’t explain. To complicate matters, her parents have an almost insane aversion to water, and won’t even let her learn to swim. One summer, she runs away—although, it’s not her intent to run away, she just wants to see the ocean, so she sneaks off with her best friend to her blended family’s home on the coast.
Once there, though, strange things begin to happen. Her attraction to the ocean grows stronger, and one da
Jan 20, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hidden Realms Anthology

Chloe has always wanted to visit the ocean but her parents are creepily adverse to her having anything to do with water. So like any good teenager, she goes on vacation with her friend Bailey to a beach house. Turns out that she is part mermaid and there is a whole cult of creatures that want to sacrifice her to in order to gain more power. While all this is going on she gets closer to Bailey's brother Noah who has his own secrets. Zeke is a merman who discovers Chloe and
Lisa  (Bookworm Lisa)
This is a very interesting story about Mermaids. I enjoyed the world of the mermen, it was different from many of the books I have read. They even have a heretical sect that is out causing problems.

The book had pretty good pacing. The characters were good, but I didn't relate of connect to them at all. I felt more like an outsider watching the events rather than caught up in the book. Even though I didn't connect, this is a solid book with a lot of things to recommend it.

It looks as if there may
Jessiqa
Chloe loves the water. She dreams about the ocean, drew it constantly in her childhood artwork, and can’t imagine anything better than spending a vacation on the beach. However, she’s never ever been to the ocean, she can’t swim, and her parents are obsessed with the dangers that water presents to the point that they do not even have a bathtub in the house. Naturally, she runs away from home in order to accompany a friend to the beach. This leads to a series of events involving people who live u ...more
Kat
Awaken was an easy, quick read with an interesting concept and characters. However, I felt like nothing really much happened overall throughout the story.

Likes:

Concept: This was actually sort of good and bad. More good than bad, of course. I sort of guessed the overall idea of the novel pretty much from the beginning, but the details of it were quite interesting and unique when they were revealed. The whole ‘drawn toward the sea’ thing was a little unoriginal but it did fit into the bigger pic
Ashley
Feb 08, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I got this book for free on my Kindle, but I think I'd be mad if I actually paid money for this book. It was really simple and the fantasy words were just thrown all over the place without a good explanation on what they are. Some of the dialogue seemed really unnatural, which also leads to the whole crush on Noah too. It was just really unnatural, especially since it sounds like it was the first time meeting Noah, that she had a huge crush on him and he like basically already guessed what she w ...more
Naoé
Oct 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
This book was nice and fun not the best but I still spend a good time while reading it
The characters are enjoyable for now I couldn't say if I've a favourite I liked the fantasy elements in it and I was happy to see that the main character kind of freaked out when she realise that something is wrong
It was a quick read and I'm curious to see how this situation could evolve
Roseline
May 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Interesting

I chose this rating because I liked A LOT of things about this book. First of all it’s a mermaid book and I can never get enough of those. Second, it’s a different take on mermaids. A whole new world that I’m excited to learn and read more about. I recommend this book to anyone that love new and fresh stories on a common but also great subject.
Victoria
Sep 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So a little more on the young teen side, but I still enjoyed this book. It leaves on a pretty good cliffhanger, so I'm going to be reading the next book. This book has mermaid elements plus a few unknown? I don't know all my fantasy stuff, so I have no idea what these new characters are! So I am excited to keep reading on to see them explained more!
Kyla Stan
Feb 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a fantastic and creative series that constantly has the reader questioning the next major event! I questioned the main characters romantic choices, but this is a great series full of exciting new characters and a totally different plot line from the common mermaid-royalty stuff that I keep seeing.
Ishana
It didn't really end properly. Like, it has a small climax and it just stopped. I feel like the author wrote one book but thought she would make more money if she split them off into smaller books. I will not be continuing the series.
MommaKitt
Jun 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing

The story wasn't as scripted as most and the plot turns made sense even if you weren't ready for them yet. Very good read for sure.
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Nov 14, 2015 08:15AM
  • Arise (Syrenka, #3)
  • Water Shaper
  • Coral and Bone (The Siren Chronicles #1)
  • Alora: The Wander-Jewel (Alora, #1)
  • Droplets (Droplets Trilogy, #1)
  • Surfacing (Swans Landing, #1)
  • Avian (Dragonrider Chronicles, #2)
  • Tempest (Scribes of Medeisia, #2)
  • Storm (Salt, #2)
  • Fathom
  • The Moon and the Tide (Marina's Tales, #2)
  • The Rising (The Painted Maidens Trilogy, #1)
  • Thief Prince
  • Sea Swept
  • Urchin (The Fairytail Saga #0.5)
  • Finned (The Merworld Water Wars, #1)
  • A Darker Past (The Darker Agency, #2)
  • Talisman (Talisman, Book #1)
Skye Malone is a fantasy and paranormal romance author, which means she spends most of her time not-quite-convinced that the magical things she imagines couldn't actually exist.

A Midwestern girl who migrated to the Pacific Northwest, she dreams someday of traveling the world — though in the meantime she’ll take any story that whisks her off to a place where the fantastic lives inside the everyday

Awakened Fate (6 books)
  • Descend (Awakened Fate #2)
  • Return (Awakened Fate #3)
  • Arise (Awakened Fate #4)
  • Become (Awakened Fate #5)
  • Rebirth (Awakened Fate Book 6)