Start by marking “Ignifer's Rise (Ignifer Cycle, #1)” as Want to Read:
Ignifer's Rise (Ignifer Cycle, #1)

Ignifer's Rise

(The Ignifer Cycle #1)

The apocalypse is coming.

Ignifer's Mons is the city at the center of the world, swarmed by a thousand strange castes, from debt-collecting Molemen to stone-bodied Balasts. All are crushed beneath the city's brutal law, and watched over by a gaping black hole in the sky; the Rot.

Sen is a boy condemned to death for his caste; complex scars that cover every inch of his skin.
Published March 19th 2014 (first published March 18th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Ignifer's Rise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ignifer's Rise

Susan Strauss
Dec 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-j-grist
I can't say enough about Michael John Grist and his amazing ability to bring you into a story. To captivate you. You won't be able to put this book down .... as I have found in all his books. Be prepared for total immersion into .............

Aradabar. An entire city devoted to learning (don't freak those who hate school and all manners of learning - it's NOT like that lol). A city so beautiful ..... its glass towers destroyed ..... the city buried ... and all those within ...... lost ..... in th
Angelic Reid-Lane
Within The Saints Rise there are beautiful graphics depicting the characters in their separate elements. Each personal bio leaves you immediately connected to each of them, and curious to know where their loyalty lies. Well worth the read! I hope their stories continue!
Maria
Jan 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Intriguing

I agree that The Saint's Rise is an epic in the making. The world making was solid. I felt the predicament of the castes. The character development was second to none. It wasn't hard to connect or understand the 3,000 year jump. Now, I hate spiders but there is a spider in this book I enjoyed following. There is sexual innuendo but it is tasteful and in context. I recommend this book for mature teen and adult fantasy lovers. While I did find a few auto-speller type typos, I gave this b
Walter Scott
Nov 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am basing this on the Advance Reader Copy I received from the author. However, I have pre-ordered the Kindle version of the book which, I hope, puts me in a safe place to write a review I truly believe in.

Grist weaves a story that pulls you in. (You probably see that one a lot in reviews…) The “unexpected” is never arbitrary. Every plot element works, and you will know that you are in the hands of a skilled author.
Like the narrative flow in his Last Mayor series (was Zombie Ocean series), M. J
Sue Gill
PJ Lea
Oct 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This story spans thousands of years yet flies by, it is detailed and segues well from a fast pace to slow. It is easy to become attached to the characters as they are so well described, especially Sen as the source of his scars is revealed. It may be fantasy but there is so much of it that has parallels to our world.
I don't read much epic fantasy but this has me wanting to read more in this series.
The drawings of the characters at the end of the book are a great bonus and just how I imagined f
Mary
Jan 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Heavy fantasy

This book was a serious undertaking to read. Honestly, the first half had me considering putting the book down for good. But I’m glad I finished. This book is packed to the gills with action and detailed fantastical creatures, environments, and creation theories. I felt a bit like I was wading through thick soup at times, trying to understand the complex ideas. But i am satisfied overall with the novel, its plot, and the conclusion. And I can say that I can’t think of any way to imp
Elizabeth
Grist states that he was going for a blend of China Meville and Orson Scott Card. Of those two I've only read Meville, and that is definitely the feeling I got from The Saint's Rise. You could have told me it was written by Meville and I would have believed you. Complex, intellectual and eloquent, I loved it. My only issue is that the world is very different from our own and I could have used a glossary etc. And some better description of the various castes.
Adam Mahler
Aug 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting read

I was about a third of the way through the book and for some reason I was having a hard time continuing. I really liked the characters so I stuck with it. The way it all comes together in the end completely blew me away. I was mad at myself for almost giving up.
Britta Morrow
Jun 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am a big fan of Grist and was happy when I found out about this new one. I struggled to put this one down. Like in his other books Grist writes great characters who seem to grow naturally. I can't wait for the next one to come out.
Tammy glynn
May 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nicely done

This was a well written tale. My only concern was that the sheer amount of character types at times became slightly overwhelming. Perhaps employing fewer would lend to stronger character development for the main protagonists.
ian dodds
Fun

Good world building with just enough mystery left. nice characters but I couldn’t fear the rot or the king as I didn’t really understand what they were perhaps my problem not the books
Ceh131973
Nov 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Michael John Grist is a magnificent story teller. He creates fantastic worlds and weaves them with adventure and intrigue. Science fiction and fantasy fans should not miss out on this book. It would make a really good video game as well. Classic good versus evil.
Elizabeth Green
Jun 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fascinating story

I loved this book it has everything an epic fantasy story should have. The story premise is original and exciting. If you like a compelling read that opens up a new world of different characters this is the book for you.
Amanda Williams
Oct 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good storyline and very graphic in detail. Expertly written and a fantastic start to the series. Well worth the read.
Aaron
Feb 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing imagination

I've read hundreds of novels, and this is one of the most original works I've encountered. Not an easy read, but we'll worth it.
Colin Chapman
Jan 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A captivating tale which drove me on to the end getting more involved in the story as the tale unfolded. Recommend you read you will not be able to put it down. Michael John Grist tells a good tale.
Saraandlouie
Jun 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good read

A little confusing in parts but in the whole well worth a read. I look forward to book two in the series
Terri Owens
Feb 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Winderful

An amazing book that sucks you right in. A story that is a fight against tyranny and corruption. Where different castes come together.
Pewpewkachu
I tried, but I just...didn't care at all about any of these characters or the story, or their relationships. Nothing ever actually happens. Exactly zero tension or emotional impact.
Elaine
Oct 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic! I love the way the casts are so identifiable although some of them are physically almost impossible. They read well.
I’m anxious to see what happens to Sen next. Surely there has to be a saint, and I wonder if his mother will appear again.
Wonder, powerful writing as usual from Michael John Grist
Melinda
Nov 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Destined to be a Classic

Everything Michael John Grist writes has amazed me so far. His zombie series is unique, well written, and a mind bender. His short stories are dark, edgy and hit you right in the face. When I found he had this fantasy series, I read this book in a few short hours. With echoes of Sanderson, Mieville and the less bloody of Clive Barker's works, Grist mixes metaphysics, myth and magic with a fantastic array sentient creatures? characters? to achieve a grimdark novel that nee
Sabrina Y.
Feb 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Ignifer's Rise is an amazing book about a boy named Sen, who is different from others, for he has blue scars that run all along his body, almost like a road map. The reader is given the opportunity to follow Sen's childhood and learn about his mother, Avia, who died when he was younger, and his past. Along the way, Sen encounters a group of kids who, according to Avia, are meant to help him in his quest. At the same time, the King has raised the Adjunc, scorpion-like monsters, with a mission to ...more
Librarian Judith
Jan 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Ignifer's Rise is a wonderful introduction to a new world... a world composed of many different castes. There is a lot of conflict between the castes and a mystery surrounding Sen and his mother.

There are many characters and, in many books, the sheer number of characters make the story hard to follow. However, Mr. Grist's characters are fully realized to the extent that there's no confusion between them. The main character, however, is Sen and his interactions with the other characters as he sea
Pratr- Authors
Aug 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book was very interesting to me. Usually when you pack a lot of characters in to a book some seem to get lost in the shuffle but not this time. Sen's journey understanding his place in the world and the prophecy of his destiny is what the story is based upon. Sen has all these scars carved into his skin by his mother and being an empath makes him very unique and hunted by the King's Adjunc, creatures remade from the dead. He learns that the scars predict the coming apocalypse and he tries t ...more
Larry
Jan 02, 2015 rated it liked it
The story was interesting. It follows the life of Sen from his childhood. Sen’s gift of been able to read people’s feelings and his quest to find answer about his moms mysterious life that slowly uncovers what role he would play in saving their dying world.
The author (MJG) does a great job of introducing each character that deal with Sen, with all the pieces coming together at the end. Some of the made-up words chosen by the author take getting use to, but once you get passed that, everything be
Amy
Jun 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
WooooHoooo! Loved it. Loved the setting, loved all the characters and all the diversity of races & locations. Loved, the entire thing!

One of the best fantasy books I have read since Brood of Bones by A.E. Marling.
Katy
Mar 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book is very good and I would recommend it to fantasy fans. it is quite different to most other fantasies. Looking forward to the rest of the series
Daniel Ace
Apr 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was impressive. A journey by Sen to understand what his mother started leads into a journey of pain, redemption and understanding. Very well-done fantasy.
Joseph
Dec 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm a huge fan of Michael John Grist's Zombie Ocean series, so I was very interested in reading The Saint's Rise. It didn't disappoint. The same way Zombie Ocean presents a truly unique take on the zombie genre, Saint's Rise is a very different fantasy book. The book goes from quiet to fast-paced easily (without feeling choppy) and puts our hero and his friends in many situations you wouldn't expect, in ways you wouldn't expect. Protesting social injustice? Check, but in a really exciting and fa ...more

• The Underlighters
  • Persephane Pendrake and the Cimaruta
  • The Necklace of Goddess Athena
  • Lady's Pursuit (Knight & Rogue, #6)
  • Deathblade (Darkblade #6)
  • King's Crown (Chronicles of the Dragon-Bound #3)
  • Sidequest: In Realms Ungoogled
  • Blackthorne (The Malorum Gates #2)
  • The White Queen (The Black Prince Trilogy, #2)
  • Darksoul (Godblind #2)
  • The Tower of Living and Dying (Empires of Dust #2)
  • Covenant (Hythrun Chronicles: War of the Gods, #3)
  • Atkinson's Administration (The Reaper, #1)
  • Ward Against Disaster (Chronicles of a Reluctant Necromancer #3)
  • The Beginnings (Independence Day #1)
  • Fate of the Fallen (The Shroud of Prophecy, #1)
  • Dead to Rites (Mick Oberon, #3)
  • The Broken Heavens (Worldbreaker Saga, #3)
Michael John Grist is a British/American author and ruins photographer who lives in London, UK. He writes dark and weird science fiction and fantasy books, such as the fantasy novel Ignifer’s Rise and the SF series The Ruins Sonata.

For 11 years he lived in Tokyo exploring Japan’s modern ruins, such as abandoned theme parks, military bases, and ghost towns, gaining millions of hits on this website

The Ignifer Cycle (2 books)
  • Ignifer's War (The Ignifer Cycle #2)