Start by marking “The Highlander's Reluctant Bride (The Highlander's Bride #2)” as Want to Read:
The Highlander's Reluctant Bride (The Highlander's Bride #2)

The Highlander's Reluctant Bride

(Highland Brides #2)

Determined to keep the Macrory clan’s holdings out of the clutches of the Lord of the Isles and marauding pirates, King Robert II sends his man, Lord Ranald Scott, to hold Scaurness Castle. There, Laird Macrory lays dying, awaiting word from his son who is missing on the battlefields of France. If the son is not found before the old laird dies, Ranald will take over as lai ...more
Published March 15th 2014 by Soul Mate Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Highlander's Reluctant Bride, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Highlander's Reluctant Bride

Start your review of The Highlander's Reluctant Bride (The Highlander's Bride #2)
Celestine
Sep 05, 2016 rated it liked it
Familiar

There was nothing terribly original about this story, and pieces felt borrowed from other, better Highlander books. Nothing reached in and grabbed me, and maybe I felt this detachment due to the familiarity. At times I skimmed, especially near the end. 2.5 rounded to 3 stars.
Regan Walker
May 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Set in the Highlands in 1377, this is the story of Lady Caitriona whose father, the laird, has just died. Unbeknownst to her, her father had asked King Robert II for help. The king sends Lord Ranald Scott to hold Scaurness Castle on Scotland’s western coast. Ranald has been told if the old king dies before his son returns from France, then he must take over as laird and marry the old laird’s daughter.

Caitriona would prefer to rule the clan in her brother’s stead and is not happy about being for
C.D. Hersh
Jul 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ranald the hero is sent by the King Robert of Scotland, at the request of Laird Macrory who is dying, to secure the Macory clan’s castle and marry the laird’s daughter. A marriage that is not well received by all concerned as Ranald is not of the clan.

Riona is the heroine, who has been allowed to learn about the workings of the clan and weapons by an indulgent father. Her brother has gone off to fight the English in France and is believed dead. She now becomes a pawn among the clans of the area
Jane
Lord Ranald Scott comes to Scaurness Castle to hold it for the King. The old Laird Macrory, head of the clan is dying and with the strategic location of the castle at the opening of an important river and port it is important to keep it out of pirates hands and the Lord of the Isles.

He arrives to find the castle under attack and that is just the start of his troubles. He is also ordered by the kin to marry the old Laird's daughter to keep the Macrory Clan loyal to him and the king. Lady Caitrion
MaryD
Excellent story! I liked that Lady Caitriona was strong, despite being raped when she was 15, yet not a brat. Even when she is told she has to marry Lord Ranald Scott at the king's command, she is willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and maybe learn to love him. What they don't know is that there are traitors in their midst and that an evil from the past is going to return.
Raine Balkera
Mar 15, 2018 rated it it was ok
Is this another of those originally published back in the 70s novels re-written to soothe today's butt-hurt crowd?
It read that way to me.
Although not badly written and with fewer GPS issues than normal for most Romance novels, I still did not enjoy this one.
Too predictable, what with the author dropping major hints straight away, thus taking from me any chance for what-if's or an element of surprise later in the story.
Too much modern, PC-minded bull for me to become immersed in what is supposed
Jean
Nov 21, 2017 rated it it was ok
Catriona takes 20% of the story to get

over her bad temper and accept that.she is a fourteenth century , rather old to be still unmarried and not a twenty first century free to choose shrew .
Anyhow , the Lairdy is " no sae bad" Good with dogs and horses and her wee accidental daughter . Not bad looking either .
So a non eventful few long days preparing for the wedding , a long long wedding , with under tones of been here said that . A standard first night bedroom scene .
So while they are putting
PLP
Feb 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Exciting and romantic! ⭐️❤⭐❤⭐❤⭐❤⭐❤

I believe this is the most exciting book I have ever read! I could hardly bear the tension at times. I could bear to have it end but the I couldn't bear not knowing what was going to happen next! Both the hero and heroine were fantastic and deserving of the bale. Just wow! This was a reference to the previous book and it sounded very interesting so I'm reading that next.
Dee Doyle
Nov 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Reluctant Bride

For centuries, women were but pawns used by men. Riona lived in a castle which was important to both King Robert of Scotland and the King of the Isles. Who will gain the lands of her birth after her father, The Laird, dies?
Charlotte Lowe
Jan 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Highlander's Reluctant Bride

Castles, pirates, treachery, dictates and trust all mix together to tell the story of Ranald and Ree. It's a good story with twists and turns along the way.
Joann
Apr 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent

Plenty of excitement, always something different going on. The treachery was almost to much, but it went with the times. To be pressed into marriage by you king, you forget that women were property.
Joanne Moynihan
Dec 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Romance in the Highlands

The story had much substance among the characters. It had various twists and turns which kept my attention. Always like a happy ending
Lois
Dec 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A Wonderful Story!

Riona and Ronald are great characters! Loved the castle by the sea and the fight scenes had me holding my breath. Couldn’t put the book down.
Jan Herman
Dec 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good Parents

Good story of how a nontraditional family came into being. There could have been a little more depth presented in the clans interrelationships.
Kathy
Dec 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great read

Well written. You will become one with the characters. Get ready to live the life of Highlander and all those around him.
Kimberly Warburton
May 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Well written, story is not very unique but it was good because of the quality of the writing
Sharon
Jul 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Tragedy, dislike, numerous foes, attraction, This one keeps you reading non-stop. On to the next in this series.
Rebecca Johnson
Dec 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Interesting twists.
Barbara Watkins
Apr 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Love Scottish

Great love of the times of my ancestors. It is good for a love story of the time of Scotland.
Sandy S
Mar 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

ABOUT THE BOOK: Release Date March 15, 2014

Determined to keep the Macrory clan holdings out of the clutches of the Lord of the Isles and marauding pirates, King Robert II sends his man, Lord Ranald Scott, to hold Scaurness Castle. There, Laird Macrory lies dying, awaiting word from his son who is missing on the battlefields of France. If the son is not found before the old laird dies, Ranald will take over as laird--and marry Laird Macrory's headstrong daughter.

Lady Caitriona sees no r
Mary Yarde
Jul 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
dying and his only son, Kennon, is missing, presumed dead. Not wanting Macrory's lands to fall to the Lord of the Isles, or heaven forbid, pirates, King Robert II sends Lord Ranald Scott, to not only secure the lands but also to marry Laird Macrory's only daughter, Lady Caitriona ( Riona).

All Riona remembers of Ranald Scott is that he found her an annoying nuisance as a child and once, accidently, pushed her over a cliff! Riona does not like the man, why on earth would she want to marry him? The
Jeene Hobbs
Jul 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Ranald's story

In book 2, Ranald is sent by the king to secure Saurness Castle and marry Riona upon the old laird's death. Ranald and Riona knew each other as children and weren't especially fond of each other. Also there is the presence of little Gilda and her unhappy conception. There are many who wish to claim the castle, the laird ship, or Riona, as well.

This is another good story of an understanding man attempting to help a woman live her life after sexual abuse. It's about rebuilding trust
Kat Green
Oct 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Redheads can be reluctant.

I loved this book filled with excitement, history, love and romance. Set in Scotland of course, it's difficult not to insinuate yourself into the story. Standing on the sidelines, not visible, but there makes you feel included with the characters! All were well developed, and the plot fell right into many historical facts. Well done, to say the least! This is a must read in my opinion, and I don't want to give away any of the story... but I will say... I grew attached t
InD'tale Magazine
4.5/5.0

MacRae’s beautiful writing flows easily across pages brimming with historical detailing, the lilting dialogue and rich descriptions of Scaurness and the surrounding land, really putting the reader right in the thick of Scotland.

Read full review in the 2014 June/July Double Issue of InD’tale Magazine.
Tracey
Nov 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical
4.5 stars I loved the first book in this series and hoped this one would be as good it was even better.Ranald and Riona's story had drama, romance, tension,pirates and an adorable little girl that steals the show.A tale of love overcoming obstacles past and present well written characters and a heroine with strength and character in spades would definitely recommend Historical romance at it's best.Looking forward to the next one.
Jalyn Calderwood
Jan 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Well written

I really enjoyed the pacing of this novel. She does a great job with dialogue. The only reason for a four star rating is the lack of formatting between points of view. Sometimes it was difficult to discern what was happening and who was speaking because of it. Overall, a great read. Loved the characters and their relationship. Well done. I will read more from this author.
Ann Gonzalez
Jun 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book was just as good as book one. It is a stand alone, but I recommend reading book one first. Riona is the heroine that is being forced to marry after her father's death. She has trust issues and secrets. Ranald is the hero that was sent to become Laird and Fiona's husband. He is fierce, but loving. Great story full of suspense, conflict, and action.
Kaelee Newton
Decent historical romance

I'm a sucker for any story that includes a small child and the newly acquired spouse being taken by the child. This one has that and more. The story didn't feel rushed and the time it took for Caitriona to accept Ranald was decent. All in all a satisfying read, especially the wedding scene.
Barbara
Aug 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Fighting clansmen; struggling new love

Feisty Catriona wants to lead her clansmen, but her king has other ideas. Ranauld Scott is sent by his king to marry Catriona and be the new Laird. Trying to keep hidden destructive secrets and identifying treacherous traitors, the two must decide if together they can save their clan. Look forward to reading more by this author.
Cyndi
Aug 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Book 2 of the Highlander Bride series by Cathy MacRae. A very good read. This was a more developed story than book 1 and follows the younger brother, Ranald, as he is forced by the king to marry a distant cousin and become Laird of a highly-contested castle. As the story progressed, I found it hard to set down my Kindle. I love when a story builds like that.

• Highland Legacy (The Fraser Brothers Trilogy #1)
  • A Heartless Laird (Clan Ross, #1)
  • A Hardened Warrior (Clan Ross Book 2)
  • Her Highland Secret
  • The Thief's Countess (Border, #1)
  • The Scot's Betrayal (Highland Swords Book 1)
  • His Highland Lass (The Clan Sinclair Book 1)
  • Highland Archer
  • The Pawn (The King's Cousins Book 1)
  • Highland Deception
  • Laiden's Daughter (Clan MacDougall, #1)
  • How to Train Your Knight
  • The Duke's Undoing (Six Rogues and Their Ladies #1)
  • My Fair Duchess (Once Upon a Rogue, #1)
  • Her Broken Highlander: Scottish Medieval Highlander Romance Novel (Highlanders of Cadney Book 3)
  • Her Highlander's Heart
  • Never a Mistress, No Longer a Maid (Kellington, #1)
  • Captured by a Laird (The Douglas Legacy, #1)
Amazon best-selling author Cathy MacRae enjoys weaving tales of romance in the Highland mists. Her stories feature strong heroes and feisty heroines in pursuit of their happy-ever-afters in medieval Scotland.

When not writing, Cathy can be found curled up in a chair with a book or enjoying the outdoors with a German Shepherd or two. She is currently working on another Highland romance novel and pl

Highland Brides (5 books)
  • The Highlander's Accidental Bride
  • The Highlander's Tempestuous Bride (The Highlander's Bride #3)
  • The Highlander's Outlaw Bride (Highlander's Bride, #4)
  • The Highlander's French Bride (The Highlander's Bride #5)