Start by marking “How to Archive Family Keepsakes: Learn How to Preserve Family Photos, Memorabilia and Genealogy Records” as Want to Read:

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  78 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Organize your family photos, heirlooms, and genealogy records

In every family someone ends up with Mom's and Dad's "stuff"—a lifetime's worth of old family photos, papers, and memorabilia packed into boxes, trunks, and suitcases. This inheritance can be as much a burden as it is a blessing. How do you organize your loved one's estate in a way that honors your loved one,

Published August 16th 2012 by Family Tree Books

To ask other readers questions about How to Archive Family Keepsakes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Archive Family Keepsakes

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of How to Archive Family Keepsakes: Learn How to Preserve Family Photos, Memorabilia and Genealogy Records
Denise
Sep 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In How to Archive Family Keepsakes, Denise Levenick has created an amazing reference for anyone who has inherited a collection of family letters, documents and personal items. For family historians and genealogists, this is an essential guide for organizing and managing the family archive. She uses her own experience to demonstrate archival issues then offers easy-to understand solutions.

The book begins where many of us got started - what to do with grandma's trunk full of photos, letters and
Gillian
May 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Taking on the responsibility of caring for your family’s collective archive may seem like a daunting challenge for many. This newly released book, by Denise Levenick, provides detailed and up to date information on how to get organized and how to safely store your archived materials. How to Archive Family Keepsakes is helpful and comprehensive while remaining realistic to the average person’s time and budget realities. A must read for anyone thinking of taking on a family archiving project.
Christine
Jun 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first 2 sections of the book are an absolute "must have" for any genealogist. The last section is on digital organization, which is covered in many other places. That being said, she still has many good resources in that area.
Carol
Feb 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lots of good information on what to do with that box of stuff.
Elle Schroder
Jan 28, 2020 rated it liked it
Overall this book is designed for someone who has recently inherited an unorganised collection of ‘stuff’ that includes boxes of documents and/or entire houselots of stuff. If you’re in that situation and a bit bewildered as to where to start, this is the perfect book for you.

If you’re like me, and you’ve inherited a few small heirlooms or photos at a time from one grandparent or the other and maybe accumulated your own lifetime’s worth of stuff, this book is less relevant. There were still
Annette McIntyre
Apr 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: family-history
A very in depth book on how to deal with the archive you may have inherited from family.
Lynn Palermo
Check out my interview with the Denise Levenick, author of How to Archive Family Keepsakes. An essential book for anyone trying to organized their family stuff. Practical, hands-on advice, with checklist, cheatsheets etc. Denise helps you see the big picture without feeling overwhelmed by the task at hand.

Interview with Denise Levenick
Denise
Dec 31, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This took me awhile to read but so glad I did and so glad I own it because now I'm going to take a chapter at a time and not necessarily in order to begin to preserve and record my research, etc. in a way that I can pick it up after an absence and others could use my research as a foundation to build upon.
Barb
Mar 10, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Helpful if you want to become a full time family archivist. This is not my intention! However, I did find some useful information about identifying the era of old photographs. I would definitely recommend this book for anyone starting a genealogy project with family keepsakes. The lure to this project is intriguing, but with limited time, this didn't make my bucket list.
Beth
Sep 27, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good overview and includes resource lists by chapter if one area is more relevant to your needs. I skimmed some of the chapters because I am primarily concerned about pictures and digital storage.
Sandy
Jun 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: genealogy
Lots of good ideas for the family genealogist. I would have given it 5 stars, except there are no illustrations/photos which would have been useful.
Kate
Jul 20, 2014
H
Apr 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: genealogy
GREAT information, if a touch out of date (it's hard when technology changes so quickly). I need a copy of this
Shelley
« previous 1 3 next »

• Someone To Hear Me
  • In the Lion's Den
  • The Edge of the World
  • Once Bitten (Javier Coven, #1)
  • Twice Shy (Javier Coven #2)
  • Pretty Perfect (Boys in Makeup, #1)
  • Shadow's Seduction (Immortals After Dark, #16; The Dacians, #2)
  • Masterful Men Collection
  • Dravyn's Garden (D'Vaire #15)
  • Blind Devotion (The Shifter Chronicles #3)
  • Phoenix Reborn (Alpha Pack, #7.5)
  • Cole's Redemption (Alpha Pack, #5)
  • Hunter's Heart (Alpha Pack, #4)
  • Black Moon (Alpha Pack, #3)
  • Savage Awakening (Alpha Pack, #2)
  • Primal Law (Alpha Pack #1)
  • Lucky's Seven (Team Paladin #1)
  • Archive Photography