Start by marking “The Diamond Thief” as Want to Read:
The Diamond Thief

The Diamond Thief (The Diamond Thief #1)

3.46  ·  Rating details ·  596 Ratings  ·  177 Reviews
No-one performs on the circus trapeze like 16-year-old Remy Brunel. But Remy also leads another life, prowling through the backstreets of Victorian London as a jewel thief. When she is forced to steal one of the world's most valuable diamonds, she uncovers a world of treachery and fiendish plots.
Published October 1st 2014 by Switch Press (first published February 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Diamond Thief, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Diamond Thief

Kuroi
Rating - 1.5 stars.

Today it's a CinemaSins style review, only for a book. I recommend you see this video before reading if you don't know what CinemaSins is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYVZjK...

Everything wrong with The Diamond Thief in 700 words or less. Spoilers. (Duh!)

The name Cirque de la Lune. +1 sin.

Ding! From here on, please imagine the noise for every sin added.

The mysterious-circus-in-town-cliche. +1 sin.

The hero with heterochromatic eyes. +5 sins.

The spelling error here: "Clau
Booknut
More blindingly brilliant than any jewel, The Diamond Thief is a unique steampunk mystery that is sure to impress!

I loved every single page of this book. From start to finish it delivered - Sharon Gosling's winsome writing style painting vivid images of the colourful world she's created. There just aren't words to express how amazing this book is!

I am so, so happy I picked this up and I cannot wait to get started on Book #2 :)
Tanja (Tanychy) St. Delphi
Review also posted at Ja čitam, a ti?

How can someone include so much awesomeness in one book really goes beyond my imagination. But not having read steam-punk stories in a while I was hoping to be thrown in Victorian era again, but the problem is that I am still captured there and I don't want to get out.

Circus has always been a fascinating thing to me. Ever since I was a child and seeing the glimpse of magic I believed in left strong impression on me. Not surprisingly, Little Bird's acrobatic
Summer
**Thanks to Capstone for granting me access to this ARC via Netgalley.

The Diamond Thief is probably the most fun, whimsical novel I've read in quite a while. Its slightly simple plot, almost reading like a middle grade novel, was unique in its own right. I was a bit critical of the book at first; however, I did begin to lighten up as I became increasingly immersed in the story.

The lovable characters, the lovely writing, the British setting - all these contributed to the pure joy that is
Kagama-the Literaturevixen
I got this ARC from Netgalley and this is my honest review of it.

Remy Brunel is a trapeze artist but she also has a secret profession wich is not considered exactly respectable namely that of jewel thief,wich she steals on order from her master Gustave.

Thaddeus Rec is our other viewpoint character a young detective at Scotland Yard and his next assignment is also her next target- the Darya Noor a splendid diamondwich is currenlty exhibitied at the Tower.

During her reconnaise of the exhibit ther
K.
Trigger warnings: Violence, assault.

2.5 stars.

The blurb sounded great, and it WAS a fast paced read. But unfortunately, I found this trite and...juvenile? Not in a written-for-teenagers way. More in a written-for-middle-graders-but-trying-to-pass-itself-off-as-written-for-teenagers way.

It was too much plot and not enough character depth. Too much action and not enough explanation for anything. Too much reliance on weird spellings to indicate that someone had an accent. Add a dose of insta-love
Vincent Ripley
Feb 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Today for review is one of the first books to be published by Curious Fox. This is a new imprint offering young readers, of all ages, creative and jaw-droppingly enjoyable books. These books promise to take readers on a journey of new adventures and experiences. Therefore, with this statement in mind, can these books deliver that promise or not?

With curiosity stated as a focus of the publishing company, The Diamond Thief by Sharon Gosling is my first opportunity to test the waters. Overall, the
Y. C.
Jul 10, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
I received this from NetGalley in exchange for a honest review.

If you liked The Friday Society, then you'll like this book. Or if you like books with clever thieves, honourable men and adventurous girls, then give this book a try.

Remy is a trapeze artist by day and a jewel thief by night. She is sent by her boss to steal a prized gem from the Tower of London, but is thwarted by another aiming to snatch the gem for himself. In her haste, she accidentally swipes a copy-cat diamond from the coat o
Camly Nguyen
It wasn't bad. It was just so incredibly average that it wouldn't shine...
Yzabel Ginsberg
(I got a copy through NetGalley, in exchange for an honest review.)

A fast read, and one of those books I wish I had liked more (Victorian London + circus + thief + mechanical inventions: what's not to like in there, really?), but also one that didn't convince me in the end, unfortunately.

Things I liked: the steampunk side, light enough to be understandable by basically everyone, younger readers included. It has a touch of Fushigi no Umi no Nadia (in that stones/jewels play an important part), th
Cora ☕ Tea Party Princess
No rating.

DNF at page 26, with a migraine from trying to read such tiny text.

This was an ARC provided by Capstone Press via Net Galley. The format it was provided in made it unreadable, the text size could not be changed and I couldn't even read it on my laptop never-mind my phone (which is what I usually read non-mobi files on).

I'll probably give this a go in future but until then... Nada.
Aida Ausum
I received a free copy of this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. Many thanks to the author Sharon Gosling and the publisher, Capstone Switch Press.

The story in The Diamond Thief by Sharon Gosling tells the story of Rémy Brunel, a French sixteen year old with skills unlike any other trapeze artist. She is also quick on her feet and a master thief, one who slips by undetected and is yet to be caught. When her boss, Gustave, orders her to steal a precious diamond that’s on displ
Allison B.
Jun 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Honestly, I love this book. It is a quick and easy read, and the writing flows together easily with the right amount of action. This book is about a trapeze artist, a detective, and a small, homeless orphan boy searching for a stolen gem. The start may be a little slow, but if you keep reading you're in for a treat! The development of the characters and the romance flows together nicely and doesn't just have slow parts with sudden action filled parts. I am DEFINITELY going to read the second and ...more
Eureca Laurice
..The two thieves.. it was said they were very much in love with each other. And so their curse was to lose that love and to drive each other away with enmity. The curse continued that their offspring would do the same to those who loved them.

This book that I called so-so type, the story is consist of the usual formulaic story, predictable, not working well chemistry for the instalove or if it’s not instalove a subtle without chemistry love story, the consolation of because I know bad stories
Liviania
THE DIAMOND THIEF is a British import and one of the first books from Switch Press, a new YA imprint from Capstone. It switches between the points of view of Rémy Brunel, a trapeze artist and thief, and Thaddeus Rec, a policeman. Both of them are after a diamond - Rémy to steal it and Thaddeus to recover it.

I loved the premise of THE DIAMOND THIEF and was very fond of the characters, although I think the whole book could've been from Rémy's point of view. My favorite character was probably J, a
Cheryl
Remy Brunel is a very talented young trapeze artist who performs with a traveling circus. Her daring escapades enthrall audiences wherever she performs. Gustave, her employer, also requires her to use her skills to steal jewels.
When he assigns her the job of stealing the world’s most valuable jewel, Remy doesn’t hesitate to take on the assignment. But things go very wrong, and Remy finds herself on the run. She escapes into London’s dark underworld where treachery and mysterious plots abound.
Th
Lindsey
Jan 07, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
l wanted more circus from this book. Won’t be continuing the series, but it was fun to read. It involves stealing diamonds and then things go awry and the characters have to look for the diamond they wanted to steal in the first place.
Amy
Mar 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: british
Of course, crime, when the world it takes place in is all gadgets, has been explored before. But not so much... steampunk. Technology hasn't advanced yet. Entertainment is found in circus'... One in particular has travelled to London; yet all is not as it seems. The circus didn't come just to entertain wealthy Victorians. Not all are wealthy, there is a gap in the development of London. We explore much of London, rich and poor. Advancements and declines.
But first: we want to know what is happeni
Hannah
May 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
The Diamond Thief sounded so up my alley that I had to moderate my expectations lest I was disappointed, but it surprised me by delivering on all counts. A great setting that's vividly illustrated? Tick. Engaging hero/heroine? Tick. Steampunk aspects that are actually incorporated well in the story and not a mere afterthought? Tick. It's not easy to find good YA steampunk fiction, but I can happily say that this is good.

The smoky Victorian London at the start of the story is quickly established
Beth Kemp
Feb 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fabulous steampunk mystery adventure for 9+

Amazing contraptions, an intriguing mystery, Victorian London, the circus, a hint of romance between a detective and a cat burglar - this book combines so many elements brilliantly. The result is a riproaring adventure that will appeal to a wide range of readers in (and above) the target age range. I've already had to bat my 14 yr old away so that I could read it in time for this review!

Remy is a circus performer. She is a skilled acrobat, working on t
SoWrongItsRANDI {Bell, Book & Candle}
I received this ARC from Net Galley in exchange for an honest review.

Remy Brunel is a trapeze artist in the circus; and a popular n at that. Unbeknownst to others, she is secretly a professional thief. Her master, Gustave, sends her on her next assignment: steal the Darya-ye Noor.

Thaddeus Rec, an officer at Scotland Yard, is assigned to guard two famous diamonds at the Tower of London; one being the diamond Remy is supposed to steal.

On the night of the exhibition, things go awry and the Darya-
Serendipity Reviews
Originally posted on www.serendipityreviews.co.uk
I was lucky enough to get my hands a copy of The Diamond Thief, which is the first publication from Curious Fox. I remember the story originally coming out in an online chapter format through Fiction Express and I missed the opportunity to read it then. I‘m so glad I waited for the final publication through Curious Fox who eagerly picked it up.
From the first few paragraphs you are instantly transported to the circus, set in a dirty Victorian Lon
Nay Denise
Sep 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Received an ARC from NetGalley.

Mild spoilers

This was a very interesting take on circus carnies. I definitely enjoyed reading this story.

Remy was a sweet girl put into a rough situation. No family, no friends and poor. She joined the circus to feel that kind of "safety". The circus however was simply a group of hidden thieves. Remy was the best thief that circus had. One night she is called by the Master to go and survey the Ocean Light Diamond to steal it. Why? The Diamond has a curse placed on
Tanja
Remy Brunel is a sixteen-year-old trapeze artist who is also a jewel thief. But now her master Gustave has ordered her to steal one of the most valuable diamonds in the world. But she's not the only one that wants that jewel...

I really expected to enjoy this book. And, despite some flaws, I actually did at the beginning. But the more I read the worse it got. About halfway through, I lost interest and I had to force myself to finish it.

Remy is supposed to be the best jewel thief in Europe... bu
Alise  (Readers in Wonderland)
Oh, THE DIAMOND THIEF. I had really high expectations for you. How can you go wrong with with a main character acrobat in Victorian London with a circus setting and a near forbidden romance? Turns out it can go plenty wrong. This one started out great, but quickly went downhill.

Towards the middle of the book I just lost the ability to really get into the story because I didn’t care about the characters or the plot. I read most of the remaining pages without really registering the words.

And I rea
Big Book Little Book
Daisy (11) for www.bigbooklittlebook.com
Provided by publisher in exchange for n honest review.

Remy Brunel is a trapeze artist for a French Circus. Known at the circus as ‘little bird’ no-one knows her real name. When doing an act Remy flies towards the trapeze and as she reaches towards the trapeze and her fingers brush the bar she plummets towards the ground and as she does so a man called Thaddeus Rec runs out to save her. He is a skinny, policeman with one brown eye and one blue eye. Remy has
Emma
Aug 19, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: guest-reviews
Review by Shelly

This is a thrilling mystery set in Victorian London that follows Remy, a high wire circus act, who is also a very clever thief. We follow her as she attempts to steal the Darya-ye Noor diamond from the Tower of London but is thwarted by a clever adversary, Lord Abernathy.
I have to say that I really loved this story. I really warned to Remy who I found to be a very reluctant heroine. The way her tale entwines with Thaddeus Rec is extremely entertaining and utterly convincing. Thad
Kayla
Mar 28, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, read-in-2014
Actual Rating: 3.5/5 stars

I enjoyed the plot line and pace of this book. There was always something going on which really kept me interested in the novel itself. It wasn't exactly what I thought it would be since it included magic. I thought it would be more stealing and chasing between the two main characters. I actually didn't think the magic element added anything to the novel. It just threw me off.

I love how this is told from two points of view. Their voices were very unique and helped me un
Victoria
ARC by NetGalley

I have no idea when this book will be published.
NetGalley says october, goodreads says last year, then says december and the book says 2015.

Rémy Brunel is a French circus acrobat who happens to be in London. Also, she is a jewel thief.
So far good, right? The blurb sounds really good and I almost couldn't believe when she was about to steal the jewel in the second chapter. It was happening too fast, I thought, this should be happening near the end.

Then how do we fill the 21 chapte
Tiff
Firstly, lets take a moment to appreciate the stunning cover on this book. Ooooh shiny! It is gorgeous and shiny and appealing and shiny and ties in wonderfully with the novel.

Sixteen year old Remy Brunel or "The Little Bird", is a circus performer - a trapeze artist to be exact, and she is extremely good at it too, flinging herself into the air, balancing with ease and executing perfect landings.

But when Remy is not flying through the air with the greatest of ease, Remy is forced by Gustave, th
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Nov 22, 2015 04:20PM
  • The Mystery of the Jewelled Moth (The Sinclair’s Mysteries #2)
  • The Devil in the Corner
  • Wild Boy
  • Oliver and the Seawigs
  • Hidden
  • Summerlong
  • The Great Ice-Cream Heist
  • Unaccompanied Minor (April Mae Manning #1)
  • Freaks
  • Itchcraft (Itch, #3)
  • Narwhal: Unicorn of the Sea  (A Narwhal and Jelly Book #1)
  • The Summer Invitation
  • Altered (Altered Sequence, #1)
  • Braving the Brontes (Carly Keene: Literary Detective, #1)
  • Hidden Among Us (Hidden Among Us #1)
  • Witchfall (The Tudor Witch Trilogy, #2)
  • Diary of a Mall Girl
  • Pas De Death (Dani Spevak Mysteries, #3)
Sharon Gosling began her career in entertainment journalism, writing for magazines in the science fiction and fantasy genre, before moving on to write tie-in books for TV shows such as "Stargate" and the 'reimagined' "Battlestar Galactica."
More about Sharon Gosling

The Diamond Thief (3 books)
  • The Ruby Airship (The Diamond Thief #2)
  • The Sapphire Cutlass (The Diamond Thief #3)