Start by marking “Westviking: The Ancient Norse in Greenland and North America” as Want to Read:
Westviking: The Ancient Norse in Greenland and North America

Westviking: The Ancient Norse in Greenland and North America

Paperback
Published June 1st 1973 by Funk & Wagnalls Co (first published June 1968)

To ask other readers questions about Westviking, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Westviking

Start your review of Westviking: The Ancient Norse in Greenland and North America
Wendell Snow
Mar 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Farley Mowat's writing style. This was an intriguing read, and very well researched and documented. ...more
Emma Shelford
Mar 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Incredibly detailed, and likely far too much for a casual reader, but I am interested in the topic. And of course, Farley Mowat tells a great tale.
Czarny Pies
Oct 05, 2014 rated it did not like it
Faute de pouvoir donner cinq etrons,jelui donne une etoile.

Westviking published in 1965 contains a remarkable amount of distortion and fabrication of fact even by the appalling standards of the Canadian publishing industry. Mowat begins with the Gwyn Jones translation of the two fourteenth century sagas that talk of the existence of North American Viking colony called Vinland:

-1-Eríks saga rauða or the Saga of Erik the Red and
-2- the Grænlendinga saga or the Saga of the Greenlander

Mowat then ta
Jim Puskas
Mar 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
A book that is as scholarly and well researched as this might be expected to be a bit dry and tedious but that is certainly not the case here. Picking up on the Icelandic and other Norse sagas (which, after all were tales of high adventure) Mowat has created a work that flows along like a well crafted novel, including an exploration of the personality, capabilities and foibles of the leading characters. He supports his assumptions and conclusions, some of which other historians might view as her ...more
Tiamatty
Jul 28, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: history
I used to really enjoy reading Farley Mowat. I stopped reading him entirely after this book. I found it long and dull. He does usually make it a narrative, rather than a straight recitation of facts, but somehow, that doesn't keep it from feeling like it just drags on. There's a lot of information, it's well-researched, but it never ends up being particularly interesting. ...more
Tara
Aug 22, 2010 rated it really liked it
I had never done this book with a class. It is a classic, and the student I was working with seemed to get quite a few giggles out of it, but I am not sure if it is a book that gets students searching for more like it.
Annemarie Kealy
Jan 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book in my teens, when it first came out. I loved it, couldn't put it down, and it is still one of my favourites. ...more
Kofeina
Jul 12, 2012
Fran Wilson
Sep 06, 2015
Stetinum
rated it did not like it
Apr 12, 2012

• Championship Ball
  • The Rime of the Ancient Mariner
  • VeggieTales SuperComics: Vol 1
  • Nothing to Envy: Ordinary Lives in North Korea
  • Up Ghost River: A Chief's Journey Through the Turbulent Waters of Native History
  • Savannah 1733 to 2000: Photographs from the Collection of the Georgia Historical Society (Images of America: Georgia)
  • Invisible North: The Search For Answers on a Troubled Reserve
  • The Stand: American Nightmares
  • Wild Born (Spirit Animals, #1)
  • Peace on Earth
  • Rules for a Knight
  • Baby Jack and Jumping Jack Rabbit
Farley McGill Mowat was a conservationist and one of Canada's most widely-read authors.

Many of his most popular works have been memoirs of his childhood, his war service, and his work as a naturalist. His works have been translated into 52 languages and he has sold more than 14 million books.

Mowat studied biology at the University of Toronto. During a field trip to the Arctic, Mowat became outrage