Start by marking “Black Hole Focus: How Intelligent People Can Create a Powerful Purpose for Their Lives” as Want to Read:

Read Excerpt

.".".an absurdly motivating book." -"A.J. Jacobs, New York Times bestselling author" "

Black Hole Focus is a handbook for intelligent people looking for step-by-step guidance in creating a focus so powerful it will transform lives.

Through personal (and sometimes embarrassing) stories, Dr. Isaiah Hankel breaks down the primary driver behind the actions of successful people:
Published May 5th 2014 by Capstone (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Black Hole Focus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Black Hole Focus

James Mccracken
May 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Isaiah has written an excellent guide to help all of us be more driven to be who we want to be. What made this book stand out for me was the authors attention to referencing published research on the topics he is discussing. This not only lends weight to his case, but also provided me with the opportunity to go deeper.

Reading this book makes it clear that more is not only possible, but achievable. All you have to do is decide what you want to do, make your plan, and start walking. This to me is
Clete Hanson
Apr 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A very good book once you get into it

The first section of the book seems to start a little slow. It talks about why you need a purpose and why focusing your life is important. The problem was that it seemed pretty theory-driven which made me concerned that the whole book would be theoretical. But then things picked up. The second section was very real and practical and provided a step-by-step system for figuring out what was important to me and what my strengths were. The third section was my fa
Melissa
Apr 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This Book Really Does Deserve 5 Stars

As a Mom I'm always looking for inspirational content that is also actionable. I'm an entrepreneur at heart and am always looking for ways to think outside the box, like by setting up passive income streams and building strong relationships. Black Hole Focus gave me practical ideas for doing both and I've already started using many of the methods presented in the book to improve my life. I usually don't write reviews but I had to for this book. If you're look
Musa
Aug 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
If you've ever felt "stuck" with where you are in life and wanted to be inspired on how you can make a change. This is a book I'd recommend you to read.

Concepts in the book aren't "revolutionary", they're practical, simple steps to help you structure your thought process, have it documented and realizing it step by step. I like that each of the chapters are not very long and comes with a theme and I've actually done quite a bit of thinking reading this book.

Don't rush it through, take a moment
Georgia Porto
AMASING, infinite source of inspiration, motivation and personal empowerment
Leehant
Aug 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Very easy and motivating book. I was and still kind of stuck in my life at this time, but because of the many advices I'm able to look at my challenges in a different way. If you are stuck, just read it and enjoy it!
Errol Samuel
Oct 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Probably the most inspiring book I have ever read. If you follow the steps you will be so much better prepared to attack your goal. A book you will keep coming back to.
Esraa
Feb 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Amazing book about purpose and how you can live your dream life , the only limits you have is the ones you make .
Alf
Mar 05, 2015 rated it did not like it
10% common sense, 90% ramblings and anecdotes. Nothing new.
Geetali Sharma
Jun 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I liked the to-the-point writing style and idea sharing. I will be referencing back to this book regularly.
Alpo
Jul 29, 2015 rated it did not like it
1. If you read the table of contents you'll get everything out of this book and save yourself quite a bit of time. If want to say that you got all the details read also the first sentence of each chapter.
2. Maybe I've grown up on another planet but I'd surely laugh my a.. off if I'd hear someone expressing their life mission with so many empty buzzwords as the ones in the book.

Pravdomir Dobrev
Sep 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the most mind-blowing self-learning books that I have read. There is a considerable research made behind every single sentence written in this book. It is not a typical self-helping book. I will definitely recommend this book to most people.
Fabrizio Stucchi
Jan 15, 2017 rated it liked it
A good book about goal setting, four star till page 90, the rest can be skipped as it does not add anything, just a collection of suggestions not bound through any logic sequence.
Emma Sea
requested via library
Svetlana Kurilova
The best part of this book is relatability. Learning from someone with a similar background, similar challenges and similar doubts about the future and change is priceless.

Make sure to take actions and not just read the book. The action steps described in details are transformational. From discovering your purpose and the driving force (AKA your WHY) to an evaluation of the current position, from defined priorities to creating benchmarks, from vision to decision to conviction. This book is packe
Andrius Zygmanta
Jun 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: self-improvement
The book brings what it promise with the title - purpose creation for intelligent people. There are some new ideas, but mainly older/known ideas re-told in such way that would appeal and make sense to an intelligent mind. This book needs to be studied and applied in practice.
Courtney Allen
Aug 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Really LOVED this book and would recommend it for anyone thinking through what is going to make them more passionate in their careers and lives.
Karen
Mar 14, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kareprovement
Nothing particularly new or particularly motivating beyond the idea of striving to achieve those crazy dreams you really actually want, instead of the achievable mundane goals we chase instead.
Rrrrrron
May 18, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: mid-to
One of the many books in this genre and this one is not well-written. It is simply and effectively organized around the usual formula. In each chapter, it gives the reader a simple slogan/theme and tells a story and reinforces the theme by connecting it with the story. But the stories are sometimes poor and their connection to the theme, quite a stretch. For instance, "Safety became the company's mission and top priority... Safety brought everyone together ... As a result of these changes, Alcoa ...more
Peter
May 15, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: en
I have incredibly mixed feelings about this book. It is full with great advices but it makes them appear so easy... Like imagine your goal, visualise it and you are going to reach it. Very simplified but this is what comes through for me. I really struggled to understand how someone outside the Western world can follow any of this... The case studies are ridiculous: one day a PhD student, then creates a vision board and the next day already in a management position at a top company. Maybe it's o ...more
Lora Barsky
Aug 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A personal Mission Statement. Think about it for a bit, do you need one as root for your life's purpose?

I certainly didn't think so, that is until I read Dr. Hankel's Black Hole Focus. Isaiah has put together in a fun, quick read book a roadmap that I'll reference frequently to redefine, repurpose and transform my life. I was already on the way to beginning a personal, cleaning house. Now I have the missing tools I needed to finally get me where I want to be. A must-read for anyone ready to dro
Kate Wasserman
Apr 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I felt completely stuck before I started reading this book, but now things are different. This book gave me vision, passion and enthusiasm. It gave me a crystal clear action plan specific for my life. The amount of motivational and practical content astounding. I can't stop reading this book. The "hope experiments" and the "willpower depletion" studies blew my mind. I've already started applying many of the book's mastery techniques to my business. I highly recommend Black Hole Focus. If you're ...more
Matt Giuilanelli
May 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
"Black Hole Focus" absolutely nails down the importance of finding and developing a purpose and passion in life. With each passing year, I am now able to look back and see how vital it is to have had purpose at every stage in my own life, and I can now easily identify the times when that purpose went astray. This book is the key in how to take those world-changing ideas, communicate them effectively, and make them a reality.
Eric Bowers
Starts off with some good points but degenerates into a goal setting book. Goal setting doesn't work for me - actually it doesn't work for most people. If you are curious, google "why goal setting doesn't work" and read the articles. Disappointed - was hoping for something new.
Tanushree Das
Jan 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
For a first book this is really good. Very inspiring and an easy read.
Álvaro
Un buen intrumento para organizar prioridades, enfocarse en metas específicas y alcanzar objetivos personales y profesionales.
Ryan Ellis
Oct 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Incredible! A pure game changer.
Justin Sherven
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Probably the most useful self - help book of all 1 8 Oct 28, 2014 06:07AM
What is the strength of knowing your career purpose? 2 9 Apr 25, 2014 01:44PM
  • The 11 Karmic Spaces: Choosing Freedom from the Patterns That Bind You
  • Your Playlist Can Change Your Life: 10 Proven Ways Your Favorite Music Can Revolutionize Your Health, Memory, Organization, Alertness, and More
  • Stolen Gifts (Gifts Series, #1)
  • Healing at the Speed of Sound: How What We Hear Transforms Our Brains and Our Lives
  • A Blueprint for Your Castle in the Clouds: Make the Inside of Your Head Your Favorite Place to Be
  • Here Is a Human Being: At the Dawn of Personal Genomics
  • Unthinking: The Surprising Forces Behind What We Buy
  • Kidnapped
  • Epiphany: True Stories of Sudden Insight to Inspire, Encourage, and Transform
  • The Cat's Guide to Human Behavior
  • The Rousing
  • Magic of the Loch
  • Competability: Solving Behavior Problems in Your Multi-Cat Household
  • The 60-Second Philosopher: Expand your Mind on a Minute or so a Day!
  • Whips, Cuffs, and Little Brown Boxes (Lilly M., #1)
  • The 27s: The Greatest Myth of Rock & Roll
  • Curvy Girls
  • At Left Brain, Turn Right
Dr. Isaiah Hankel is a Fortune 500 consultant, international speaker, and author. His expertise, presentations, and writing focus on helping individuals, teams, and organizations accelerate into the fast-paced, entrepreneurship-driven market. Isaiah combines a scientific approach with a tangible methodology to create a system any individual or company can use to adapt to today’s entrepreneurial mi ...more
“If your story is not inspiring you, it’s time to change it.” 19 likes