Start by marking “Return of the Loving Dead” as Want to Read:
Return of the Loving Dead

Return of the Loving Dead (Horror High School #1)

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  29 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
Being in love with a zombie bites, but that won’t stop true love. Can it? Horror High School: Return of the Loving Dead is unlike any zombie book you’ve ever read. Meet Amber Vanderkamp, senior at Stephen E. King High School. Amber is poised to be class valedictorian when she graduates this year and has her sights set on the New York Center for the Performing Arts for coll ...more
Paperback
Published May 8th 2014 by Curiosity Quills Press (first published May 7th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Return of the Loving Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Return of the Loving Dead

August Is Azathoth The Haunted Reading Room
DELIGHTFULLY refreshing! Finally, a YA paranormal- apocalyptic that keeps the drama where it belongs, in the background, settings, and plotting. Forget the high school drama divas; forget the teenage angst! This is serious business, a story I could not put aside. Well-written, humorous, realistic: the novel let me suspend from the very first page, as it should be. BRING ON THE SEQUEL!!! Love with the "living impaired" rocks!
Max III
May 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Stan Swanson and Araminta Star Matthew's Return of the Loving Dead is packed with witty humor and legitimate suspense. While covering realistic aspects of normal high school drama, Loving Dead livens things up by kicking you in the groin with ultra-zombie action. With countless nods to classic horror films, I recommend this novel to any fan of zombie fiction–alive or otherwise.
Christina  Torretta
May 08, 2014 rated it liked it
I wasn't grabbed with the beginning of this one. I loved that it had zombies in it but the story actually starts two years prior with a zompocalypse but the plot to the book starts after the zombies are all taken care of and people are trying to move on with their lives. The problem for me was that I really enjoy the scariness behind all the zombie books that are out there and my favorites are the most horrible, with all the gore and craziness. This book did have some of that but not a lot, it i ...more
Felicitia
May 06, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
So here's the thing. I have a 'thing' for zombies but when you watch and read too many of them, you tend to get bored of it. At least I am. Because all it is about is gore, ugly-skin-falling-apart-kind-of-way undead, and survivors surviving. I am tired of it. So novels like this captivates me. It's not all about surviving, they are about zombies yet they are also about humane conflicts. Like romance for example (because romance and zombie stories clashes ok) and so yeah, the next thing I knew, I ...more
Julie
May 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-book, horror, paranormal, ya
Return of the Loving Dead by Araminta Star Matthews and Stan Swanson is Curiosity Quills publication. I was provided a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

So, I have said this every time I have done a YA book review. I am not in touch with at all with this genre. So, I'm going to guess this one will appeal to the 14-17 year old crowd more so than the older teen, but could still reach that older age, but I don't think I would suggest it for younger than 14. ( I'm not the best judge
Catherine Cavendish
Aug 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was a great, fun, tongue wedged firmly in cheek zombie read. I thoroughly enjoyed Amber and Jasmine's exploits as they tried to help the hapless Zach. I loved the nods to the classics of horror. The authors must have had a lot of fun writing this because my enjoyment came from the sheer joy of their writing. I laughed out loud and, at the same time, felt a strong desire to see Amber succeed. The excerpt from the second book in this series is included and I am glad to say there is more of th ...more
Monica
May 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Amber, Jasmine, and Zach are high school seniors. When Zach turns into a zombie, Amber takes it upon herself to become his guardian since she believes they are soul mates. How will this effect their school year? How will this effect her relationship with her best friend, Jasmine?

While there is a bit of a slow start, with the suspension of disbelief and continuing to the end, enjoyment is waiting in this comedic moderately descriptive tale.

Characters are often somewhat outrageous/extravagant, car
Diane
May 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I received a complimentary copy to read and review. Great book. I couldn't put it down. I love the twists and turns that are in it. Amber is a high school girl who sees her boyfriend get bitten and then turned into a zombie. She becomes his guardian and her mother doesn't like it neither does his father. With the on and off help from her friend Jasmine she tries to keep him out of trouble. She finds out some things about her parents that leave her stunned and wondering what to do next. I highly ...more
Matilda
Jun 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
I could not put this book down, it was such a fun easy read and I can’t wait to read the next one. I don’t read many zombie books because I find them quiet predictable but this one is anything but that. A Funny, well written book and very different from typical Y.A love story.
I definitely recommend this book, Thank you Araminta Star Matthews and Stan Swanson.
Sara
Apr 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What do you get when you mix wit and zombies? You get a fantastic story! Interesting concept and well written. I loved the references to movies, books, and Stephen King that were scattered throughout the story, very clever...my favorite character was definitely Jasmine. I will be impatiently awaiting the next book! :)
Chantale Canadian Book Addict
Jun 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
I don't usually read zombie books but this one really sounded interesting so I gave it a chance. I am so glad I did because I really enjoyed it. It is well written and it is a easy read that will keep you reading.

I highly recommend
Madila
Jun 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Great book,I love the twists and returns in it.It is well written and it will keep you reading.
Paige
Jul 16, 2014 rated it did not like it
Check out my review here: http://thepaigeturnerblog.wordpress.c...
Chantale Canadian Book Addict
Review coming soon
Bree Hodges
May 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Great, fun read!!!!
TheCosyDragon
Jan 22, 2015 rated it did not like it

Amber thinks she has the best life. She's going to be top of her class, she has a fantastic loving boyfriend, and everything is right in the world. Unfortunately for her, there is an untreated zombie on the loose, and she's going to lose her life as she knows it.

This is an interesting turn on the zombie theme that seems to be getting out of contr
Devyn
Sep 06, 2014 rated it it was ok
I received this book from Goodreads.

If Disney was going to make a zombie movie this is what it'd be like.

Return of the Loving Dead is unlike any Zombie book I have yet read. There isn't much gore, violence, or zombie killing that is expected in most zombie books. I like my zombie books to have lots of gore, violence, and zombie slaughter. This book is, to put it bluntly, a YA chick lit. I'm not saying chick lit is bad, I just don't like it combined with my brain munching undead villains.
Return
Kme_17
May 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015, first-reads
I have received this as a first read. I really like the book. It was a fun read ! I haven't read much zombies books. This was a zombie book set in the high school. It had a great sense of humor. I love the main character as she tries to date a zombie. Just great fun.
Rusty Nugent
  • Remembering Kaylee Cooper
  • Cipher
  • Blake 187: A Zombie Revolution
  • Dead Man's Drive
  • How to Date Dead Guys (Witch's Handbook Series 1)
  • Ash and Bone
  • Stiltskin
  • The Curse Merchant (The Dark Choir #1)
  • Sin
  • The After House
  • Dark Paradise (Dark Paradise #1)
  • The Astounding Adventure of the Ancient Dragon
  • The Prince of Earth
  • I Kissed a Ghoul
  • The Heroine's Journey
  • Tattoo Rampage
  • The Misadventures of Hobart Hucklebuck: Magic & Mayhem
  • Lex De Mortuis (Division Zero, #2)
Araminta Star Matthews was born to a pair of geeks from very different geekdom styles: her mother, an avid Stephen King enthusiast, blacked out the windows in her crypt-style bedroom and drank tomato juice lovingly labeled "Fresh Blood;" while her father, a science-fiction/fantasy junky, read her The Lord of the Rings (with voices) on nights he wasn't building his to-pewter-figurine-scale Dungeons ...more
More about Araminta Star Matthews

Young Adult Deals

• Son of the Dawn (Ghosts of the Shadow Market #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Mechanica (Mechanica, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Night Divided
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Three Dark Crowns (Three Dark Crowns, #1)
  • The Lotterys Plus One
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The End of Feeling
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Gone (Gone, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Moon Chosen (Tales of a New World #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Deviants (Dust Chronicles #1)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • Slow Dance in Purgatory (Purgatory, #1)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • Just Friends
    $7.80 $2.99
  • For Love and Honor (An Uncertain Choice, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Chemistry Lessons
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Menagerie
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Prom Night in Purgatory (Purgatory, #2)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • Running Barefoot
    $5.95 $1.99
  • The Infinite (Gates of Thread and Stone #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Touching Spirit Bear (Spirit Bear, #1)
  • Black Bird of the Gallows
    $7.99 $0.99
  • My Best Friend's Exorcism
  • Liars, Inc.
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Lumière (The Illumination Paradox, #1)
  • I Hate Everyone But You