Start by marking “Bitter Lemons of Cyprus” as Want to Read:
Bitter Lemons of Cyprus

Bitter Lemons of Cyprus

Bitter Lemons of Cyprus is Lawrence Durrell's unique account of his time in Cyprus, during the 1950s Enosis movement for freedom of the island from British colonial rule. Winner of the Duff Cooper Memorial Prize, it is a document at once personal, poetic and subtly political - a masterly combination of travelogue, memoir and treatise.

'He writes as an artist, as well as a p
Published July 3rd 2000 by Faber and Faber (first published 1957)

To ask other readers questions about Bitter Lemons of Cyprus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bitter Lemons of Cyprus

Andrew Schirmer
Jan 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Commandaria - Κουμανδαρία. Cypriot wine. Sweet, quite different from all the other things you've been hearing about Cyprus lately. Lovely stuff, similar raisiny flavor profile to a PX sherry, but less syrupy and cloying--you can drink this without fear of developing type-2 diabetes. People in Bitter Lemons are always slipping off for a glass of the stuff on some terrace or another. I had to try it.

Although the title gives the game up, this book is like a perfume whose opening notes of neroli an
Travelin
Sep 21, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: started
I bought this because I enjoyed his little brother's account of life in Greece very much. I was also hoping to learn more about Greek influence and Cyprus as a tourist destination.

Although the first paragraphs of the book are quite purple, it seemed to promise to deliver the goods on stereotyping Cypriot Greeks, if only, it turns out, because Lawrence Durrell is so British.

I have a tiny, short tourist guidebook for Cyprus which happens to dismiss this book in one sentence. I thought that would b
Kyriakos Sorokkou
Feb 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is not a political book, but simply a somewhat impressionistic study of the moods and atmospheres of Cyprus during the troubled years 1953-56
or to be more precise during the armed struggled against the British.
Lawrence Durrell, 1957

A British perspective of the 1950's in Cyprus

I've chosen to write in English, because English is a window to the world, like it or not.

His descriptions of the Pentadaktylos mountains are eerie and romantic (with romantic I don't mean romantic as in St. Valentine
Anna
beautifully written, this book helps you understand Cyprus and more broadly how people go from somehow getting along to civil war, sort of... Here is a citation from the opening of the book about the value of travel, that I love:

“Journeys, like artists, are born and not made. A thousand differing circumstances contribute to them, few of them willed or determined by the will--whatever we may think. They flower spontaneously out of the demands of our nature-- and the best of them lead us not only
Passive Apathetic
I love reading memoirs and books on travelling, not because of “I learn new stuff about new places” nonsense, but because they help me to understand the stand of the writer; since those kind of books reveal how their writers perceive people and the world around them more readily and personally than say, a novel they design. So, when I got The Bitter Lemons of Cyprus out of a Kindle deal (I was planning to read the infamous Alexandria Quartet for a while and thought it would be nice to get the fe ...more
Lynne King
Dec 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I read this many years ago and loved it. Rereading it has just confirmed how brilliant Lawrence Durrell is. If you want to hear all about Cyprus, well this is the book for you. All said and done!

But then I love all of his works...
Traveling Diva
Jan 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned-all, memoir
It was a wonderful experience reading this book. How often does one read a memoir, written by a poet, set in a tumultuous period among a beautiful backdrop of landscape and people? It is, unfortunately, all too rare. But what a pleasant surprise. The very first paragraph of the book is so masterfully written that I was drawn in from the start and didn't want to put it down. Having said that it is not a fast read, for I found I got caught up in the poetic descriptions of a village and region I ha ...more
Lilisa
Lawrence Durrell recounts his time in the mid-1950s in Cyprus - an island divided by religion and turmoil, yet so similar across the spectrum. We experience the beauty of the island and the warmth of family and community. In Cyprus during the nationalist violence - a move to become part of Greece - he ended up leaving the island after becoming a target of assassination attempts as political upheaval continued in his wake. But despite the fact that Durrell lived there for a few years, as a teache ...more
4triplezed
Jan 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: europe, history, travel
This is the first Lawrence Durrell book I have read and he is certainly a superb writer. A description of his time spent in Cyprus during "Enosis", Greek Cypriots demand for union with mainland Greece, this made fascinating reading. I had spent a week in Cyprus in 2000 and his description of the people and some of the places had me recalling that very pleasant week of my life.

For all the enjoyment of the book I suspect that like another author I like, Patrick Leigh Fermor, I may not be in agree
Ron
Mar 17, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir, non-fiction
I read Bitter Lemons in the 60s or 70s. It introduced me to the cultural clash between Greeks and Turks. Oh, I had studied history and I knew there had been wars between them, but I didn't know the length or depth of their antipathy. (Surprisingly, I have since visited both Greece and Turkey and was struck with how similar their cultures are on the surface.)

This book also awakened me to the difficulty of an outside power (in Crypus' case, the United Kingdom) trying to impose peace on a populatio
Don
Mar 28, 2009 rated it really liked it
(FROM MY BLOG) Israel is again accused of killing and otherwise abusing innocent civilians in its attempt to control the Gaza strip. Israeli commanders, according to today's New York Times, admit that people have been shot and houses destroyed unjustifiably, but claim that overall they have been judicious in their use of force.

Israel's posture in its conflict with the Palestinians calls to mind a book I just finished re-reading: Bitter Lemons, by Lawrence Durell. Durell is best known as the auth
Athan Tolis
Aug 17, 2015 rated it it was ok
I mainly read nonfiction, so it was almost magical to read Lawrence Durell’s prose. Bitter Lemons of Cyprus (carefully chosen to coincide with my Greek vacation) has transported me for a week to a mesmerizing corner of Greece that no longer exists, or rather only exists in people’s memories.

And that’s because this 58 year old book takes you back to the last few years when Greeks and Turks coexisted on the beautiful, God(s?)-blessed island of Cyprus. The author set off to write another one of his
Juliana
Jan 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was my first read by Lawrence Durrell who is most famous for the Alexandria Quartet. This is just a little memoir of the three years he spent on the island of Cyprus. While the book starts out a light-hearted memoir not unlike Under the Tuscan sun--expat moves in and begins renovating a house surrounded by local colorful characters--the book eventually turns a bit darker. Cyprus was rapidly ending its relationship with the British empire and terrorism and nationalism was taking hold.

So int
Czarny Pies
Nov 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Western Chauvinists
Shelves: english-lit
Bitter Lemons is a passionate plea for "enosis" (i.e. the unity of Greece and Cyprus) written in the 1950s when Turkish and Greek Cypriots were at war. Lawrence Durrell loved Western Civilization with a passion and believed fervently that the great Greek genius of classical era was still alive in the 20 th century. As a teenager, I was utterly convinced.

Durrell rages against his country for having put Cyprus under the jurisdiction of the Colonial Office. Durrell was of the opinion that the juris
Margaret
Apr 23, 2008 rated it really liked it
OK, he's a priggish imperialist and anyone who commits phrases to print like "you can't go giving away bits of an empire willy nilly" sort of deserves whatever happens to his property holdings...But write with a lovely command of locale, sentiment and atmosphere. All of which amount to either an interesting retelling of an era or, at least, a lovely evocation of a place. I mean, I'm baffled by Justine, too, but some of its prose is pretty.
Elaine
Dec 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Five stars for Durrell’s elegant writing and loving evocation of the beauty of Cyprus, the character and personalities of its Greek and Turkish residents, and his great pleasures during his three years living there (1953–1956). He leaves, sad and dismayed, as a result of the Greek rebellion against British rule.
Four stars for the story, which was too short. I wanted more!
Audio narrator perfect; he could not have been better.
V.J.
Oct 09, 2012 rated it liked it
Boy, I did find this hard going. Apart from the obscure vocabulary and even more obscure literary allusions though, there are some of the most stunning and evocative descriptions of this country that you are likely to encounter.
Lawrence also has the same gift as his brother,Gerald, for depicting the charming quirks of the characters he encounters, and there are some delightful episodes such as when he attempts to negotiate the purchase of a house, which has all the melodrama you would expect fr
globulon
Jan 24, 2010 rated it really liked it
Very nicely written though sad account of an idyllic place and its descent to becoming a war zone.

I don't know much about Cyprus other than what I read here. I am sure there are other "angles of vision" as he calls them, meaning both what different groups thought at the time, and what people might think now looking back. Still it was pleasant both to get his impressions of village life, but also his thoughts on the issues as he saw them.
Eleni
Sep 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Every Cypriot should read this book despite the very British approach to the writing it talks of the beautiful island that I know and love so eloquently that it honestly made me emotional at times. With all the tough times in Cyprus's economy at the moment this is a hopeful message to give about Cypriot resilience!
Kirsty
I chose Lawrence Durrell's memoir, Bitter Lemons of Cyprus, to read during my Around the World in 80 Books challenge. It was first published in 1957, and was the winner of the Duff Cooper Memorial Prize. The New Statesman notes: '[Durrell] writes as an artist, as well as a poet; he remembers colour and landscape and the nuances of peasant conversation...'. The Observer states: 'His account of the calamity is revelatory, moving and restrained. It is written in the sensitive and muscular prose of ...more
Linda Fagioli-Katsiotas
This is a British author writing about an uprising in the British colony of Cyprus in the 1950s. Of course, it’s a little biased—no surprise there. My having just visited Cyprus and having accompanied a good friend back to the occupied side for the very first time since the 1974 invasion of her village, was the catalyst for my wanting to read this book. Photos and our experience can be viewed here: https://truestorythenifi.blogspot.com...

I enjoy Lawrence Durrell’s poetic proses very much: “the
Ena
Nov 13, 2018 rated it it was ok
Русская аннотация обманчива: на 70% книга состоит из политики и хронике борьбы за независимость Кипра. Пейзажи-забавные сюжеты-колоритные персонажи занимают меньше половины текста.
Andrew
Mar 13, 2018 added it
Shelves: memoir
Given the lyrical prose of the Alexandria Quartet, I was expecting Durrell's nonfiction -- especially about someplace as quintessentially Mediterranean as Cyprus -- to be something rapturous to accompany my recent habit of drinking homemade liqueurs of orange blossom, mastic, frankincense, and apricot on my patio.

Well, sort of. Lawrence Durrell loves Grecian-ness almost as much as he disparages actual, flesh-and-blood Greeks. He loves classical Greek thought, and certain modern iterations, such
Sportyrod
Mar 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: cyprus
A writer/government worker tells his story about living in Cyprus in the 1950’s during the Enosis movement.

It begins with his arrival on the island followed by his efforts to find a nice home in a rural village. The story is told in a constant poetic way. Every cliff, mountain and patch of wild flowers is enriched with beautiful words.

The book slowly transitions into some insight of Enosis, having acquired a job in the political scene. He shapes his views based his interaction with the rural v
Kris Kipling
Oct 19, 2010 marked it as to-read
Briefly, Durrell's account of his years in Cyprus. Bitter years indeed. All began well - a sleepy, sunlit country, with oranges and pomegranate trees peeking over whitewashed village walls. Men beneath the shade of the "Tree of Idleness" drinking coffee, playing cards in the afternoon. And Durrell buys a house, in a splendid scene of Mediterranean negotiation (howls at unfairness, pulling of hair, the back and forth tug, before theatrical tearful relenting), in a wee village in a sun-soaked sett ...more
Graeme Purves
Sep 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: european-history
Lawrence Durrell claims to offer a balanced and “non-political” perspective on the Cyprus of the 1950s, having observed unfolding events from the standpoint of the village tavern as well as Government House. However, as Press Adviser to the colonial administration during the Emergency, he was an active protagonist in the conflict arising from Britain’s denial of Cypriot sovereignty. He writes that Britain’s “moral and legal title to the island was unassailable.”

The Durrell family were marinated
Yusra
Aug 04, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book took me a long time to read for something relatively short. It was a difficult read because it appears Durrell cannot help but forcing description after description onto the book, in many places where it does not belong. The poetical language may be beautiful if it had been used more sparingly.

It was also difficult because Durrell really cannot hide his superiority to the Cypriots, in either the conversations with them he shares, the descriptions or the assessment of the events leadin
Mike
Aug 24, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: men with serious moustaches
British writer and poet witnesses firsthand how empires fail. He recounts his time living in Cyprus when the locals — who usually come across in his writing as childlike marvels, unsophisticated and charmingly quaint — chafed under and then violently opposed foreign (British) rule. His restrained prose aptly describes people and place and allows the reader — even one as initially ignorant of Cyprus as myself — to develop a clear picture of the time and situation.

Characterization of the locals th
Sadie Slater
Reading Race of Scorpions, which is set largely in Cyprus, reminded me that I had a copy of Lawrence Durrell's book about the time he spent living in Cyprus between 1953 and 1956 (handily shelved next to the Dorothy Dunnett). I bought it years ago, probably about the time I read Gerald Durrell's My Family and Other Animals, but didn't really get on with the writing. Still, I hung on to it, and I thought I'd give it another go.

There are some beautiful descriptive passages which made me long to se
Michael Eracleous
Aug 13, 2017 rated it it was ok
An interesting study of the life of the author while he was living in Cyprus in the early 1950s. He describes the life on the island and the character of its people. Through his descriptions he paints a picture of a hospitable, welcoming, and friendly people. But in marked contradiction to the above, the author also belittles his hosts by calling them lazy and not very bright. This book also showcases the colonial attitude and mindset of the author. He asks very bluntly why the people of Cyprus ...more
  • Mani: Travels in the Southern Peloponnese
  • Patrick Leigh Fermor: An Adventure
  • Passenger to Teheran
  • When the Going Was Good
  • Two Towns in Provence
  • Their Heads are Green and Their Hands are Blue: Scenes from the Non-Christian World
  • Trieste and The Meaning of Nowhere
  • On the Shores of the Mediterranean
  • Abroad: British Literary Traveling Between the Wars
  • Journey into Cyprus
  • The Road to Oxiana
  • On Persephone's Island: A Sicilian Journal
  • Arabia
  • Chasing the Sea: Lost Among the Ghosts of Empire in Central Asia
Lawrence George Durrell was a critically hailed and beloved novelist, poet, humorist, and travel writer best known for The Alexandria Quartet novels, which were ranked by the Modern Library as among the greatest works of English literature in the twentieth century. A passionate and dedicated writer from an early age, Durrell’s prolific career also included the groundbreaking Avignon Quintet, whose ...more
“I had become, with the approach of night, once more aware of loneliness and time - those two companions without whom no journey can yield us anything.” 29 likes
“...books everywhere piled up in heaps, the rare companions of a solitude not self-imposed but sought.” 9 likes