Start by marking “The Prom Goer's Interstellar Excursion” as Want to Read:
The Prom Goer's Interstellar Excursion

The Prom Goer's Interstellar Excursion

3.73  ·  Rating details ·  418 Ratings  ·  115 Reviews
It's Superbad meets Spaceballs in this hilarious extraterrestrial road trip!

Just a few days before prom, Bennett pulls off something he never imagined possible: his dream girl, Sophie, agrees to be his date. Moments afterward, however, he watches Sophie get abducted by aliens in the middle of the New Mexico desert.

Faced with a dateless prom (and likely kidnapping charges),
Published April 14th 2015 by Knopf Books for Young Readers

Liars, Inc. by Paula StokesRed Queen by Victoria AveyardAkarnae by Lynette NoniAn Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa TahirThe Girl at Midnight by Melissa Grey
2015 YA Covers
275 books — 522 voters
Prom & Prejudice by Elizabeth EulbergProm by Laurie Halse AndersonForever Princess by Meg CabotProm Nights from Hell by Meg CabotPrincess in Pink by Meg Cabot
YA Prom Books
109 books — 144 voters

More lists with this book...

Blythe
4.5 stars actually but I LOVED THIS

it's hysterical and unique and fun, and I ship the ship fiercely. And at the same time I am so beyond satisfied with the ending because THAT IS HOW REAL LIFE WORKS and it's refreshing and wonderful and just as swoon-worthy and gah.

only qualm is that the novel's format is supposed to be that of a diary entry, but it doesn't necessarily read like one; for this I am actually pretty glad, since I find that format tedious after a while, but an obvious fault of the
Brooke ♥booklife4life♥

Total: 8

In Dept
Best Part:
Space aliens!
Worst Part: Teenage boys!
Thoughts Had: WTF.; What is going on?!

Conclusion
Continuing the Series:
n/a
Recommending: ya

Short Review: So i grabbed this because the title and cover got me. I had no idea what it was about. And then i read it,
S
★★★★★ 5 SPACE-INVADERS STARS !!!

But look. In the past few days, you have become one of the few humans who have definitively learned that not only are you not alone in the universe but there are literally almost an infinite number of options out there. All problems are small, and remarkably solvable.

YES.YES.YES!!!

This book is just a giant disco ball of parties, really. It's an incredible combination of Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy and Scott Pilgrim VS. The World and Almost Famous (and a
Şevval Türkmen
Sep 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ağır,kalın,yorucu kitap okumak istemiyordum.Akıcı,çerezlik,kolay okunabilen,fantastik bir kitap arayışındaydım ve bu kitap kurtarıcım oldu diyebilirim.

Asıl olaya gelene sıkıldım,ne yalan söyleyeyim.Heyecanlı kısımlara gelmek istiyordum ve 100. sayfalara yakın olaylar başlıyordu.Sonrasında merakla,heyecanla su gibi okuyup bitirdim.Gayet akıcı bir şekilde devam etti.Yazarın dili ise hem eğlenceliydi hem sevimliydi.Sade bir şekilde yazmış.Okurken yüzümde tebessüm yok olmadı :D Bazı yerleri ise mera
Nasty Lady MJ
Jul 10, 2014 rated it liked it
To see review with gif click here.

There are a lot of things about this one that I loved. I think the best attribute of it is that it is different. Okay, there is a definite formula and I could very easily see this in film, but for YA it’s not the sort of story you’d typically see published. Though, there is one unfortunate borderline trope in it (that I’ll discuss in a bit).

This is such a fun book. There is a touch of romance, but more or less it’s not about it. And I’m glad because the romance
Courtney
Jul 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
That moment of guilt and self-disappointment when you've stayed up later than you should've reading a book that you probably should've held off on for later.
Of course, it's just a moment.

I'm torn between 4 stars and 5 stars. Lately, all the books I've been reading have felt like 5 stars and then later settled down into 4 stars after I think about them more. If tomorrow I wake up and find that I still think this book was great, I'll raise its rating to 5 stars.

This book was great. I loved the qu
Aimee Meester
Apr 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Hilarious, bizarre, awesome.
Merve
Oct 31, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Merhaba 😊 bir #okudumbitti ile daha geldim. Bu ara hafif şeyler okumak istiyorum ama kurgusu sağlam ve farklı olsun isteğim var nedense 😌

Kitabımızın konusu; Bennett adındaki lise son öğrencimiz yan evlerindeki Sophie adlı kıza aşıktır. Kısa süre sonra düzenlenecek olan baloya ise Sophie başkası ile katılacaktır. Ancak Bennett bir gün teleskop ile Sophie'nin ağladığını görür ve yanına gider. Sophie onunla biraz dertleşir ve motorunun bozulduğundan falan bahseder.
Sophie ile motorsiklet tamircisine
Brittany Kantack
Sep 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love this book!!! it is YA and at first I felt like it was meant for a younger generation and felt silly reading it. It's such a lighthearted read. I couldn't help but smile in several parts. One of the most unique books I've ever read.
Felicia Lemmon
Mar 29, 2017 rated it it was ok
This was a weird one. I did like it though, but the ending I had issues with. No matter how much he "deserved" to go to Princeton, or how hard he worked once he got there I have an issue with him buying his way in.
Arnela
I liked the cover, but because it was marketed as a romance I didn't think I was actually gunna like reading it, but it was pleasantly surprising.

For the most part we don't see the romance aspect at all, Sophie is in need of a prom date ever since her ex turned out to be a two-timing scum bucket, Bennet- her neighbor [and the dude who's been crushing on her for years] is lucky enough to be outside when she's having a moment and offers to help. Though he's pretty bad at giving condolences, she de
Heather
This was delightful! The plot could have easily tread into predictable territory but while somethings I predicted it ended in a really refreshing way that was as hilarious and sarcastic as the rest of the book. If you're looking for an adventure that is wacky and laugh out loud funny, definitely check this out!
Ms. Yingling
Apr 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Bennett has always had a crush on neighbor Sophie, and would love to take her to prom, but she has a boyfriend, and Bennett is a little too geeky for her. When he sees her crying one evening, he talks to her and finds out that she has been dumped, and also that her motorcycle is damaged beyond her ability to fix it herself. She asks him to take her to a town near where they live in New Mexico to get it repaired, and in the course of the evening, agrees to go to prom with him. Unfortunately, she ...more
Beth ~~Just One More Chapter I Swear~~
I have been reading some soul wrenching, gut punching books, not that that's a bad thing but I needed a break (with a capital B). To recover a little and laugh a lot, this book was exactly what I needed. It couldn't have been more right for me if a doctor prescribed it or if a tailor darned it especially for me or if an alien came down and declared that it had seen my future and this book was in it. Well that last bit could be true, especially in The Prom Goers Interstellar Excursion's universe. ...more
Travis
Jun 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Why do books like this make me feel stuff? Like why. I can read really dark or "sad" books and be fine by the end of it. But when I read something fun and ridiculous, most of the time my emotions are brought out. Now, this book isn't sad. But the ending made me feel sad? Nostalgic? Jealous? Dude, I don't know. Explaining how I feel and why is difficult for me. One might say that my emotions are complicated.

But for real, the ending. It's not even sad! I really liked it. Maybe I'm sad the adventu
Tina
Dec 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya
This book is pure crack on a stick. Don't believe me? It has a character driving around pretending to be a redneck in a broken down pickup truck waiving crutches out of a window trying to be abducted by aliens. See? CRACK. Do not be fooled by the romantic Moulin Rouge-esque cover. No, this is not a romance. Instead, it is a band road trip book involving aliens, concerts inside the belly of space creatures, and the most death-incurring mall I've ever heard of. If you're looking for a unique book ...more
Georgia
The prom goer's Interstellar Excursion was like a bad version of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Almost the entire time, the main character was made fun if for his body shape by complete strangers. Another main character is impaled by a pair of drum sticks while exiting the atmosphere of a planet, which given the facts was completely implausible. I really did particular ly like any of these characters except for a talking ram. Overal this book was aggravating and I did not enjoy it.
Alia
Sep 29, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2016
Easy, light read - it was a lot of fun to read! Like Hitchhikers Guide, without the existentialism, haha. It kinda lost me in the middle, but loved the ending. The characters are funny, and the protagonist is witty, sarcastic and a little bit stupid. I really like the mini subplot about getting into Princeton, just made everything better.

Lynn
May 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Teen fans of Hitchhiker's Guide will love this very funny spoof! Bennett's voice is wonderful and I fell hard for the Perfectly Reasonable band ;-) The likeable nerd gets the cool girl AND his songs hit the top of the charts in the universe.
Glire
Nov 09, 2014 marked it as to-read
Shelves: young-adult
"Fans of King Dork and Winger won't want to miss this!"

description
Jana
Feb 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book. THIS BOOK. So funny.
Bèbè ✦ RANT  ✦
Apr 18, 2015 marked it as to-read
This cover is weird. It got space and prom dress? & I want it
Kelsy
Jul 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who wants an out of this world adventure
Picking up this book I got Hitchhiker Guide vibes off of it right down to the humor and wacky characters. The love interest starts out simple and the ending kept it real. If you want to complain about everyone one ending up together at the end there nothing to complain here.

The one thing I didn't like was when they rescue Sophie, I expect that the alins that abducted her would go after them. Although added that on top of a band trying to make a comeback, angry ex-band member, and a character st
Priya
Mar 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-books
I am pleasantly surprised how this book turned out.

When I initially started off, I wasn't sure what I was expecting. But from the minute I started, I enjoyed reading this book. There was a part in the middle, where i thought this might be a drag, but I was proved wrong.

This was one thrill ride.

Character development was good. It was nice to follow Skark, Cad, Driver and of course Bennett and Sophie. Even the ram was a memorable character. Everybody had a part to play. I actually started missing
TSena_gl
Dec 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bir arkadaşın önerisiyle okuma listeme eklemiştim, iyi ki de önermiş, iyi ki de okumuşum. Değişik bir konusu olan, ilginç bir şekilde ilerleyen, eğlenceli -aman aman bir eğlence yok ama kitap, o hissi veriyor yine de- ve akıcı bir kitaptı. Kitabın çoğu absürt olaylarla silsilesinden oluşuyor ve o farklılık, kitabı okurken ayrı bir canlılık hissettiriyor; karşımıza çıkabilecek şeylerin çeşitliliği ise fazlaca ilgi çekici geliyor. Her karakter kesinlikle kendine hastı; düşünün koç -bildiğimiz hayv ...more
Louise Page
Jul 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Imagine if Micheal Cera made a movie where he has to go into outer space with a rag tag team of alien rock stars to rescue the girl of his dreams, and you've got this novel. The awkward protagonist is charming and believable, and the intergalactic adventures are action filled and hilarious. The musical twist is especially nice, with mind bending descriptions of alien rock gods and interstellar music festivals.

A must read if you're love sci-fi and are looking to laugh!
Roxanne
Aug 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I got this book from The Dollar Tree because the cover is beautiful. I didn't expect it to be any good due to past experiences buying books there but I absolutely loved it. It's sweet, and funny, with relatively clean language. Can't wait to pass it on to a friend.
Evy
May 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
****SPOILERS****
Only a half star taken off because Sopie and Bennett didnt end up together?? They were so cute and Bennett didnt just like Sophie because she was different and now "everybody here is different." It felt really untrue to the characters.Other than that I loved it! It was weirdly hilarious and a breath of fresh air in YA. I picked it up because of the crazy synopsis and I was not dissapointed! The world is super creative and it was a really fun light read!
Kübra Nur
Oct 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mutlaka okuyun kesin çok seversiniz diyemiyorum çünkü okuduğum en absürd şeylerden biriydi. Ama ben eğlendim ve son sahneleri çok sevdim.
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Jun 14, 2015 03:02AM
  • Sophomore Year Is Greek to Me
  • Dan vs. Nature
  • Denton Little's Deathdate (Denton Little #1)
  • Mapmaker
  • I Remember You
  • A Blade of Black Steel (The Crimson Empire, #2)
  • Grandmaster
  • V is for Villain
  • Gem & Dixie
  • The Loudness
  • P.O.W.ER
  • The Edge of Forever (The Edge of Forever #1)
  • In a World Just Right
  • Cat Girl's Day Off
  • Prairie Fire (The Story of Owen, #2)
  • After the Red Rain
  • Like It Never Happened
  • Dead to Me
Chris McCoy is a screenwriter and director who has written for Paramount, DreamWorks, Disney, Laika, and Marvel. He has contributed to McSweeney’s and The Believer and is also the author of the novel Scurvy Goonda. He lives in Venice, California.
More about Chris McCoy