Start by marking “Girl, Missing (Girl, Missing, #1)” as Want to Read:
Girl, Missing (Girl, Missing, #1)

Girl, Missing

(Girl, Missing #1)

Published December 1st 2006 by Simon & Schuster (first published October 2nd 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Girl, Missing, please sign up.
Liss I would recommend this book for early teens at minimum and any one who is above 12 or 13 younger if mature

Start your review of Girl, Missing (Girl, Missing, #1)
Charlotte May
This was a quick and simple read. Having been written over 10 years ago I didn't have overly high hopes, which helped as the way the main character spoke seemed very childish and immature.

While researching for a school project, Lauren comes across a website for missing children. Discovering a girl that looks a lot like her; a girl taken from her parents over 12 years ago, Lauren makes it her mission to find out what happened to her, and who she really is.

A lot of what happens is ove
Ken
Oct 19, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Whilst researching for a school essay about ‘Who Am I?’ adapted Lauren Matthews eager to learn about her past decides to put her details into a missing child’s website.
She finds an American girl named Martha Lauren Purditt who matches her description.

Lauren travels to America to uncover the mystery, with plenty of twists through this adrenaline fuelled ride kept me hooked.
It’s really fast paced and the central mystery was great, it was easy to get swept along as I read the who
Kate (GirlReading)
Mar 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book holds such a special place in my heart. It's the book that made me realise that reading can be a truly emotional, all encompassing experience. Despite this being my three millionth reread, it was the first time I've reread it since I was about 11 and it was such a fun experience. It's heart/pounding, page-turning, brilliantly gripping and I 100% understand why I devoured it at ten years old. I definitely found some problems with it that I unsurprisingly hadn't spotted ten years ago but ...more
Natalie
Oct 20, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: disappointing
My first review on goodreads and I'm using it rant on this book.
I had really high expectations of it due to the other reviews on this site, but it seriously disappointed me. It was a short book I admit so didn't have a lot of time to really draw me in but, being one of those girls who will normally love everything, I was surprised when I reached the end of the book and still disliked it.
The plot is one of those that probably looks good as a synposis but didn't really work. I found it
Tanie L.
Jul 15, 2014 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: nobody deserves to waste their time like i did
Before I begin, I'm going to put out a disclaimer that this is one of the first book reviews I've actually put thought into, alright, so I will sound possibly childish, overdramatic and maybe a little intolerant at times. Bear with me.
Or not.

I picked this book up from my school library. Overlooking the cover that looked like it was trying way too hard to look like a proper thriller book, I thought the synopsis and the blurb was pretty good. Plus, it'd won an award, right, award
Aly (Fantasy4eva)
Aug 18, 2009 rated it it was ok
This is one of those books that's a quick - straightforward read. I would be lying if I said it got boring becuase it didn't. It was a quick read with a decent plot, but I have to say that it was pretty predictable. Didn't wow me I suppose; didn't do anything for me actually. More of a book I'd recommend you pick up from the Library.
Serendipity Reviews
Aug 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I was completely absorbed in this book from the first chapter. Sophie McKenzie hits you right in the face with every chapter ending, leaving you quickly scrabbling through the pages to find out what would happen next. Each chapter is quite short and sharp and you find yourself holding your breath in between turning to the next one.

Lauren is a very strong character. As soon as she discovers that her adoption may have been a illegal, she becomes determined to find out the truth. Most p
Carrie Stewart
Dec 30, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ya
I know this is a children's book, and therefore not for me, but I thought the writing was incredibly weak. Things happen so easily - an Internet search leads Lauren to believe she was actually kidnapped, a search done mostly because her adoptive parents bug her - and then she's off to America, ditching her mother at the airport to go to another State. I couldn't really suspend my disbelief.

Also, Lauren is dreadful. She's selfish and ungrateful and I refuse to accept that it's just be
VickyLye
Dec 07, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 43
I liked this book as it was very interesting and gripped you in to keep reading.
Kim Woolfson
Mar 12, 2018 rated it it was ok
I thought that the book had a really fascinating storyline. I especially loved the relationship between Lauren and Madison.
Even though it was good there were still some negatives. I felt as if it was really rushed throughout the book. Maybe if the author hadn't packed it so full there would have been a lot more chilling time. I also didn't feel like the author went into too much depth.
I will continue the series and see how it goes.
Brodie
Dec 09, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Who Am I? It's a loaded question that most of us have had to ask ourselves at some point and usually struggle with an answer. But it's a question that runs much deeper for Lauren Matthews, who was adopted when she was 3 years old. She has no idea that a simple piece of homework will impact her for the rest of her life. Tired of never getting an answer from her parents about her biological family, she searches online and comes across a Missing Persons website.... where she finds a little girl who w ...more
Stephanie (Stepping out of the Page)
The premise of this book was very good indeed. The plot had some interesting twist and turns but the thing that somewhat spoiled this book for me was the fact that it was just too far-fetched, with the boat section bordering on ridiculous. If I was younger, I may have enjoyed this book more but it was still quite a page turner with it's fast pace and interesting storyline. I didn't get bored reading this. The plot was good and I liked most of the characters, but I do feel that the book couldve b ...more
Bookread2day
Sep 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Girl Missing paperback is the 10th anniversary edition including exclusive content. I loved this story about Lauren who finds out that she adopted and discovers that she had been snatched from her real family as a baby. Lauren and her friend take a journey from London to the USA to trace her real parents. This story is a quite tearful at times. Sophie McKenzie got the idea for this story by surfing on the net and came across a missing children's website. I have read Trust in Me by Sophie McKenzi ...more
Niyati
Mar 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
When I picked up 'Girl, Missing' I wasn’t that excited about it but I very quickly came to realize that I definitely should have been very excited about this book! From the first few pages I was totally intrigued by what had happened and what was going to happen. Both the past and future was so unknown, I loved it. Everything happened so fast I didn't even have a second in which to stop and let what had happened sink in let a lone stop to do anything else, I couldn't put the book down! Lovely qu ...more
Rosianna
Jan 05, 2008 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Nobody
Appalling. Enough said.
Jordan
Nov 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
It was an AMAZING book! I couldn't put the book down
K.
Trigger warnings: kidnapping, animal death (off page), bullying, child abuse.

This was one of the most frequently borrowed books at the last school I worked and I've always been curious to know what all the fuss was about. So I finally borrowed it to find out for myself. I think part of it is that it's a 14 year old protagonist. There aren't many of those around, so I guess for younger YA readers, it makes it more relatable?

It's also a fast-paced and action-packed story that doesn't
Sabrina
Lauren always knew she was adopted but doesn't know anything about her birth family or the circumstances of her adoption. When she is asked to write a Who Am I essay for school, she realises just how little she knows. Her parents refuse to tell her anything substantial so she decides to do some digging and uncovers the possibility that she was stolen at birth. This leads to an investigation as far as America as she and her best friend, Jam, try to find out what really happened.
I found it q
Alex Peachman
Feb 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow what a page turner! Lauren sets out to find her real parents and is surprised by what she finds. This is one of those books that goes off in directions that you didn't expect and there were a few times where I heard myself say 'Oh no!' as I was reading! Highly recommended.
16ellisb
Loved this book, didn’t want to finish it because it was so gripping. I though the plot was really clever and I’d like to read another one of Sophie McKenzie’s books. Highly recommended this.
Lainy
Nov 04, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Time taken to read - 1 day

Pages - 301

Publisher - Simon & Schuster

Blurb from Goodreads

Lauren has always known she was adopted but when a little research turns up the possibility that she was snatched from an American family as a baby, suddenly Lauren's life seems like a sham. How can she find her biological parents? And are her adoptive parents really responsible for kidnapping her? She manages to wangle a trip across the Atlantic where she runs away to tr
Jodie
Aug 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
www.booksforcompany.com
When I picked up 'Girl, Missing' I wasn’t that excited about it but I very quickly came to realise that I definitely should have been very excited about this book! From the first few pages I was totally intrigued by what had happened and what was going to happen. Both the past and future was so unknown, I loved it. Everything happened so fast I didn't even have a second in which to stop and let what had happened sink in let a lone stop to do anything else, I couldn't put the book down!
L
Lois
Jul 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I propose you should read "girl missing" by Sophie McKenzie, because it is worth reading. I say this because I think it is a good book. It only took me a day to read because I couldn't put the book down-it was too interesting and I didnt want to leave where I was.In "girl missing", there are many emotional parts, but also there are some funny points.The book is about a teenage girl called Lauren (also known as Martha),trying to find out about her past. Thoughb this may sound simple,it has a vast ...more
Zoe
Apr 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Wow. Just simply....wow! Girl, Missing is probably one of my favourite reads ever! I could read it again and again and it would still be No. 1. Well done Sophie, you should be proud. It is a proper page-turner which will capture readers old and new.

This novel is about Lauren, an adopted girl who feels lost and unloved. She is determined to find out the truth about her, but does the truth lead to danger?
One day Lauren finds a missing childrens website and is bored. She types her
Girlmissinglover365
Feb 25, 2018 rated it did not like it
I first read this book a year ago when I was 37. I suppose I was drawn in my the dramatic cover art. I’m which case I am a perfect example of why you should never judge a book by its cover.
This novel introduced me to new levels of literary ignorance, it was physical painful to turn each page with the looming thought that the next two would bring me further into a plot that worsens with each syllable.

Last night after reading it for about 10 minutes (an indescribable struggle) I found myself una
Chelsey
Feb 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Ages 11-15
Recommended to Chelsey by: Loads of my friends from School
When people ask me what is your favourite book this novel always seems to pop up in my mind. A thrilling tale that teenagers will love and once you've started you cannot put it down. I read this book in two days and even resorted to reading it in class as i was so fixated with the story and the characters included in the book. I would highly reccomened this book.
Veronica
Mar 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I CAN'T EXPLAIN how much I love this trilogy! They're action packed and the story begins as soon as you open the book. I will admit that I read it a while ago so can't remember a lot but I enjoyed the trilogy thoroughly!! Definitely read.
16collisi
Sep 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was amazing. There were a lot of intense moments when you don’t know if the characters will survive. It was a hard book to put down and you get attached to the characters. I would definitely recommend it to everyone who loves a good thriller.
17rossw159
Jul 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
The genre probably comes under mystery. I enjoyed reading the book, I think it was a very good read. The book definitely was interesting, at points you want to keep reading to see what happens.
I would recommend this book to people who are interested in mystery books and like suspence!
Anna
Nov 18, 2014 added it
It is one of my favourite books so far!! So sad at parts and so happy! Highly Reccomend to anyone!!!:)
reality 6 59 Jan 02, 2016 01:17PM

• Noughts & Crosses (Noughts & Crosses, #1)
  • Double Cross (Noughts & Crosses, #4)
  • Boys Don't Cry
  • A Good Girl's Guide to Murder (A Good Girl's Guide to Murder, #1)
  • Knife Edge (Noughts & Crosses, #2)
  • Checkmate (Noughts & Crosses, #3)
  • Top Marks for Murder (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries, #8)
  • Bad Hair Days: A mystery for children and young teens aged 10-14
  • This Lie Will Kill You
  • All About Mia
  • Looking for JJ (Jennifer Jones, #1)
  • 13 Minutes
  • The Weight of Water
  • When I Was Joe (When I Was Joe, #1)
  • Ginger Snaps
  • Your Turn to Die
  • Speechless
  • The Case of the Missing Treasure (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries, #6.5)
Hey there! Welcome to my Goodreads page where you can keep up with all my stories - both the ones that are already published and the works in progress!!
I write mostly thrillers - though I have done some teen romance stories too.
I'm really excited right now because of...

Close My Eyes - which is my first psychological thriller for adult readers (pub May 2013, UK, July 2013, U

Girl, Missing (3 books)
  • Sister, Missing (Girl, Missing, #2)
  • Missing Me (Girl, Missing, #3)