Start by marking “West Kill Creek” as Want to Read:
West Kill Creek

West Kill Creek

West Kill Creek is a contemplative work of post-apocalyptic fiction set in upstate New York. A particularly lethal virus has rapidly wiped out most of civilization. A hardy band of survivors does what it takes to stay alive, but the novel also reverberates with the echoes of local history and deep time, the beauty and terror of nature, the power and glory of books, current ...more
Published January 15th 2014 by The Troy Book Makers (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about West Kill Creek, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about West Kill Creek

Roberta
I bought this book only because of a review on the New York History Blog. I am not the world's biggest fan of post-apocalyptic fiction. It's all pretty depressing. However, it made a difference for me that the end-of-the-world-as-we-know-it is set in an area that I am at least semi-familiar with. The sharp right turn outside of Cobleskill where we have to hold our coffee so it doesn't spill, is the same right turn that Dar, the main character, misses because he is going too fast.

I also found the
Julia
Aug 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
A post- apocalyptic novel set in Schoharie County— sign me up!
I should have loved this, instead I admire it. I wish the book had begun on about page 91, when the main character gets to Schoharie County. He could have told his new friends and the audience that he lived through the plague that killed nearly everyone living/ hiding in a basement in a tent.

Instead, he describes for pages his favorite movies, ancient history, post-apocalyptic television and movie plots, philosophy, even political d
Ed Hillenbrand
Mar 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Sounds like an odd title for a review, yes? Consider the jandra: "Alas Babylon", "Dies the Fire", "Under a Graveyard Sky" to name several are all written from the perspective of Libertarians or Conservatives. No so with "West Kill Creek" whose author's heritage as a North East Liberal shines through from the very beginning. This makes "West Kill Creek" different enough to warrant a read. After all, not everyone who survives the apocalypse is going to stand up for themselves and others.

Purcell's
Steve Hornung
May 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The author did an excellent job of weaving an interesting tale using local history and humor.
His wit and knowledge of the Schoharie County area come shining through as one journeys through this extremely well written survival book. It is a must read for people who live in the Schoharie County area. It is also highly recommended for those who enjoy spirited laughter.
Pamela Hale
Feb 21, 2017 rated it liked it
This was pretty cool because: it's written by a local author and the setting/s are all local places I've visited, it's a post-apocalypse sci-fi(always a favorite with me!), and I just happened to agree with the political opinions and movie preferences of the main character. I only gave it 3 stars because this author is a first timer who definitely either needs more practice or a better editor.
Mary Kim
Feb 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I read it in two days and enjoyed it. I will re-read and hope to see the second book of a trilogy coming soon. Amazing research and local history.
Sherry
Jun 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
A virus strikes, killing many people worldwide. Dar, a survivor, stumbles across a group of people living in Schoharie County, NY, south of Blenheim on the Westkill Creek. The book examines how they survive as well as incorporating historic information regarding the area. This is a chilling book, not as dark as "The Road" but not as benign as "World Made By Hand". This is a good read, particularly if you are knowledgeable about this part of New York State.
Nancy
Jan 07, 2018
Nick Demetriades
May 21, 2018
Karina Benninger
rated it did not like it
Nov 20, 2016
Feb 05, 2018
Vectoria
Sep 03, 2018
1 follower
Shawn Purcell is a reference librarian, past journal editor and president of the Independent Online Booksellers Association, and current inhabitant of the rather imperiled planet Earth.