Start by marking “The French for Always” as Want to Read:
The French for Always

The French for Always

Five Weddings. The perfect venue. One little hitch...

Leaving the grey skies of home behind to transform a crumbling French Château into a boutique wedding venue is a huge leap of faith for Sara. She and fiancé Gavin sink their life savings into the beautiful Château Bellevue – set under blue skies and surrounded by vineyards in the heart of Bordeaux.

After months of hard
ebook, 1, 288 pages
Published April 25th 2014 by Bookouture (first published April 23rd 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The French for Always, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The French for Always

Start your review of The French for Always
Fabulous Book Fiend
Apr 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Review: having loved The French for Love by this author last year, I was keen to get my hands on a copy of this new novel and it proved to be just as much of a lovely read as the first! This was set in the gorgeous French countryside which, itself, was another character in the novel, I honestly felt like I was there drinking in the sunshine, the atmosphere and the wine! The description in this book was just beautiful full on wonderful metaphorical language and adjectives that tasted wonderful in ...more
Pattie
Feb 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
A lovely, easy read with just enough excitement for the English-born French chateau owner to overcome!
Kim
Apr 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The perfect rom-com recipe for the summer needs a few key ingredients: a beautiful location, a heroine we cheer for, a problem that seems insurmountable and, of course, the guy who turns out to be exactly the person our heroine was looking for. We want romance, we want an escape, we want to dream ourselves away and get lost as we read, and Fiona Valpy, author of The French for Love (which I reviewed last year), delivers on all points with The French for Always.

So what’s the set up? Meet Sara and
Maryline M's Bookshelf
May 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This review was frist published at M's Bookshelf - http://mssbookshelf.blogspot.be

Such a lovely read! The story turns out to be everything the cover promises you: romance, sun, breathtaking scenery, and did I say romance?
Sara is such an easy to like, easy to love main character. You feel very strongly about her and Fiona describes all her emotions, from hope and happiness to sadness and heartbreak so well that it might just be you, living in a French castle planning weddings! And what a life
Karen Barber
Aug 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
A wonderful romance, where you expect certain events and are not remotely disappointed when you get them.
Sara has thrown everything into the business she has set up with her fiancé Gavin. They are determined to make a success of their chateau catering for weddings. At the back of her mind Sara fears her future is not stable, and this is cruelly shown to be the case when she finds her fiancé having sex with a bridesmaid at the first wedding we witness.
After a welcome (and healthy) vent, Sara
3.25 stars.

I enjoyed this one, but not as much as The Beekeeper's Promise since it didn't have the historical storyline. However, the modern day story very much appealed to me. It wasn't OTT dramatic, and the author made me feel things without veering into syrupy sweet land. I think that is the thing that I appreciate the most about this author's writing. She's able to engage and compel with subtlety ad nuance. I guess I'm used to most authors these days telling you what you should be feeling
Melanie
Apr 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Sara is engaged to Gavin and has given up her life in Britain to follow their dream of turning an unloved French Chateau into a luxury wedding venue. On paper, her life seems perfect ... so why is she finding it hard to breath?

All becomes clear when suddenly, she discovers some home truths about her Husband-to-be and he ups and leaves shortly after their dream has begun. Alone in an empty Chateau, with an equally empty bank account and an aching heart, Sara has almost given up hope of reaching
Dawn
Apr 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I was offered a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review by Kim at Bookouture in exchange for an honest review. Kim wasn't wrong when she suggested I might enjoy reading this book.

Sara and Gavin are engaged to be married, have sold up in the UK and ploughed all their savings into renovating and running a French Chateau as a wedding venue only for Gavin to jump ship part way through their first season.

Sara comes across as vulnerable but has a hidden strength of character that she wears
Marina
Apr 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Original review is posted on Chick Library Cat Book Blog:

When I first saw this book, I fell in love with the cover. French countryside, vineyards, chateau. Mmmmm! What's not to like here? So I asked this book for reviewing and I wasn't wrong. I don't usually judge the books by their covers, but this time I did. And I loved the book as much as I loved the cover.

So, in this lovely French chateau we meet Sara and Gavin, a couple who left England to run a
Jules (Never enough time to read)
It was a cute, short and sweet read, but it did take me a while to warm up to the characters.
Jane Watson
Dec 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another lovely book from Fiona Valpy - she really does write very well and all the books I have read have been excellent. This one is set in Chateau Bellevue which I had read about earlier in The Beekeeper's Promise so was nice to get the background to that book. The main character Sara runs the chateau as a wedding venue and there are several wedding scenarios which are all amusing and romantic, but don't seem forced. Definitely need to get the rest of the back catalogue and look forward to her ...more
Karen Charlton
Jul 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So far I've enjoyed several of Fiona's books set in France and this one is my favourite so far. It's a light, heart-warming love story set in a beautiful chateau amongst the lush vineyards of Bordeaux which is used for weddings. It featured a delicious cast of British, Australian and French characters who help the heroine get back on her feet after she's abandoned by her fiancé/business partner. You can almost feel the sunshine on your skin and smell the scent of the jasmine. Wonderful holiday ...more
Denise Hale
Aug 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2019, romance
French countryside and amoré perfect escapism for summer reading

I'm reading Fiona's books in the wrong order but as each is a standalone story it's not a problem. This is an earlier book and has the heroine sell up her life in England and come to France to renovate a chateau and develop a wedding event business with her fiance. It is not long before the fiance is an ex and she is on her own.
The mixture of France, love and fate are well balanced as she copes with the final five weddings of the
Jenny Cockerill
Apr 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful France!

Having spent many holidays in France it was a real treat to be immersed in a summer there as I read this book. Fiona Valpy displays a true knowledge of the French culture that is very comforting, homely and steeped in family values and tradition. She conjures up a picture of a refurbished chateau and the weddings held there that warms the heart and brings a tear to your eye. Loved it!
Joyce
Feb 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
A lovely easy enjoyable read about a beautiful place in France where couples
come to be married in a simple ceremony. Sara transforms the French
chateau into a boutique wedding venue and then her fiancé leaves her.
There are five weddings this season as Sara decides to keep the chateau
And buys Gavin out. In the midst of hard work and caring, she herself finds
Love and courage. I enjoyed this book and writer of French tales.
Karen Hawkins
May 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beautifully written. Full of love and hope for the future.

A story of broken dreams pulled back together by a new love from a surprising source which saved the dreams of a future full of good will and an excellent business of providing fairytale weddings amidst the be as ugh of the French vineyards
And countryside. Excellent read.
Barbara M. Bouton
Dec 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book.

I have found a new author I love in Fiona Valpy! I have enjoyed all her books but especially the ones were she includes the history of the characters and community. My favorite genre is historical fiction and her books are right in there for me. I hope she writes many, many more great books!
Jean McKay
May 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An easy romantic story

I enjoyed reading this book but preferred the earlier one The French for Christmas. This is perfect holiday reading. The storyline predictable. I have always loved France so for me good location.
Valene
Aug 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Two love stories

The woman in this book sells her apartment and buys a chateaux with her boyfriend of many years. They put a lot of work into fixing it up and then he wants out. So many things happen after that. You need to read the book to see what happens!
Eva Holmberg
Nov 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fiona Valpy is good at describing people so you get to know them. After the two first "French for..." I was ready to read more about the families connected to The Beekeeper's Promise, that I really loved.
Ashley McCabe
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great story

Love the setting of her stories, so beautiful and historical even during war times. Love the characters she writes about. Makes you want to go to France and expert it yourself!
annecink
Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love the writing style!

Very sweet story. Author has a delightful, "visual", style of writing. Love the "scenery" in the story!
If you love the atmosphere of rural France, you'll love this!

Kathie
Oct 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
A change of authors and I found this book hard to get into however I persisted and I am glad I did. Such a lovely story filled with other stories. I have found another new author to follow & read. Looking forward to the next book...
Jayne Poole
Jul 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excet

Loved this book the author makes you feel you are in the book! Really enjoyed ! Could not put it down!
leigh brown
Aug 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enchanting

This story is enchanting, the château is brought to life along with the gorgeous French countryside. The characters are warm and engaging. I couldn't put it down....
Thuan
Feb 10, 2017 rated it really liked it

If you're looking for a vacation read, then this beautifully written book is it.

Katie Cartwright
Not up to par with Sea of Memories and Bee Keeper’s Promise. I did enjoy following the French chateau. The story line seemed shallow to me in this book. I was disappointed.
Marcia Francis
Oct 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lovely

I am ready for a Bordeaux weekend after reading this story. The descriptions of the weddings are just amazing. I feel as if I was there.
Betty
Jul 31, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I do like Fiona Valpy's writing and this novel had some of her characters I've already met. Her heroines are a little promiscuous for my liking but I guess that's the way the world is these days.
Clare
Aug 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another enjoyable read, bit short but still good.

• The Secret Letter
  • Summer on the Italian Lake
  • Spring House
  • The French Adventure
  • A Postcard from Italy
  • Sisters of Willow House (Sandy Cove #2)
  • The Book Lovers (The Book Lovers, #1)
  • Siena Summer
  • Dreaming of Tuscany
  • The Art of Inheriting Secrets
  • Secrets of Willow House (Sandy Cove Book 1)
  • The Raven Hovers: An unmissable novel of war and family secrets
  • The Island Villa
Fiona Valpy spent seven years living in France, having moved there from the UK in 2007. She and her family renovated an old, rambling farmhouse in the Bordeaux winelands, during which time she developed new-found skills in cement-mixing, interior decorating and wine-tasting.

All of these inspirations, along with a love for the place, the people and their history, have found their way into the
“Then, fixing Sara again with that clear, calm gaze, Eliane said, ‘At the end of a story we say, “et ils vécurent heureux jusqu’à la fin de leurs jours”.’ Sara” 0 likes