Start by marking “The Amish Nanny (Brides of Amish Country, #11)” as Want to Read:
The Amish Nanny (Brides of Amish Country, #11)

The Amish Nanny

(Brides of Amish Country #11)

A Family In Need

A reclusive Amish logger, Ethan Gingerich is more comfortable around his draft horses than the orphaned niece and nephews he's taken in. Yet he's determined to provide the children with a good, loving home. The little ones, including a defiant eight-year-old, need a proper nanny. But when Ethan hires shy Amishwoman Clara Barkman, he never expects her tempo
Published July 15th 2014 by Love Inspired (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Amish Nanny, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Amish Nanny

Start your review of The Amish Nanny (Brides of Amish Country, #11)
Rhonda
Jun 20, 2014 rated it really liked it

4 STARS

I like Brides of Amish Country series. I have read about half of them and some day would not reading the ones I have missed so far.
I really enjoyed the characters. Children steal your heart. Both Ethan and Clara have been hurt in their past and don't plan to fall in love and marry. There are familiar characters for those who have been reading this series. It can stand alone fine.

Maureen Timerman
Jul 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
Once burned twice shy sure applies to this story, and in particular to Ethan Gingerich, and his outlook on taking a wife. In away it also applies to shy and horribly abused Clara Barkman, no child should have to live under the conditions that she and her sisters endured.
Now things have changed and God has answered her prayers, they are living a happy life with her Grandfather. Each of the girls is moving on with their lives and one is on track to be married soon. Clara has set her hopes of becom
Kav
Jul 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Barkman sisters are back and this time it is Clara's story that held me spellbound. I gobbled this one up in an afternoon, it was that good. Loved the blend of humour and drama and the stilted romance. I say stilted because poor Ethan is truly out of his element and that makes for fun reading!

Also appreciate the fact that the author understands that even shy, retiring maidels can be heroines in their own right. Clara isn't your typical heroine. Not only is she shy, but she's fearful about m
Harlequin Books
"Abuse and PTSD are not typically addressed in Amish-themed novels, but Davids does it impressively. It is well researched and educates the reader on Amish logging practices" (RT Book Reviews). 4 stars

Miniseries: Brides of Amish Country
Emma
Jun 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

The Amish Nanny by Patricia Davids
Ethan Gingerrich lost his brother and his wife to a storm. He brought his 2 nephews and niece to live with him. He is a logger. He can't work that job with children around him. He has his hands full.

Clara Barkman character we met in Shepard's Bride. She is oldest of four girls. Her uncle raised them after their parents died. He beat them and did not treat them right. She was being forced to marry a mean way older man to protect her sisters. They got a way from
Andrea Guy
I think I fall a little more in love with Hope Springs with each book. The Amish Nanny sees Clara Barkman finding love. If you are following the series, her character was introduced in The Shepherd's Bride, which was her sister Lizzie's story.

I loved that book, but The Amish Nanny is even better.

I'm a sucker for books with young children, especially those in need of some extra TLC, and Micha, Amos and Lily are all in need of that, having lost both of their parents tragically.

Ethan is trying to b
Jess F. (From Me to You ... Book Reviews)
"4.5 out of 5 stars!! Three Amish children, loose their parents in a freak lightening accident, move into their Uncle's home and with the help of their Amish nanny they become a family again. It's a sweet story about redemption, love, and the meaning of family."

Read more of this review and a teaser here: http://frommetoyouvideophoto.blogspot.com/2014/06/feasted-on-brides-of-amish-country.html
Chris
Jul 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Just finished this book in the large print. I really enjoy this author's books. This one was no exception. The characters were both struggling with forgiveness issues, and both seemed to allow the hurt and regrets of the past interfere with a possible future relationship. Love inspired books are often guaranteed to have a good ending. More the better to me - real life isn't always so kind. All the main characters (including 3 children) were alive to me and I thoroughly enjoyed the read.
Jess F. (From Me to You ... Book Reviews)

Christy
Jul 25, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: amish
This was a sweet light read. The writing was a little repetitive; some of the same thoughts were brought up repeatedly throughout. The story might have been a little too simple. I think the story needed more community interaction besides just focusing on finding love. This was a clean read with God at the forefront. I just missed depth of humor and character. It was just okay for me.
Pam Pavkov
Dec 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Amish Nanny is the 11th fantastic story written by Patricia Davids in her Brides of Amish Country series. This story is so heartwarming and full of love. I enjoyed this story immensely.

When Ethan Gingerich becomes an instant daad to his niece and nephews he discovers that life can be very challenging. When his oldest nephew finds himself in trouble with his neighbor Ethan realizes that he cannot do it all. When Clara Barkman takes an interestin the children, Ethan offers her a position of b
Cara Ross
Nov 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Amish Nanny was, when first written, a unique approach to an Amish Romance, as it tacked the subject of abuse and PTSD in the Amish community, and not the idyllic picture Amish Romances tend to project, so if you are looking for an Amish world and story that is through rose-colored specs, this book is not for you.

As a child Clara Barkman was horribly abused and she swore she would not allow that to happen to another child, which completely goes against the Amish faith that she was a part of,
Cara Ross
Nov 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Karen Mcnicol
Sep 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The "Amish Nanny" is part of the "Brides of Amish Country" series. Patricia Davids is one of the top Amish fiction writers, her stories grab you and keep you until you get to the last page. I love this story of Ethan, a bachelor who is raising his three orphan niece and nephew's who hires Clara Barkman to be their Nanny after they get into some mischief and he realizes he can not leave them alone as much as he has been. With Clara in his house all is neat, orderly and suddenly fun to come home t ...more
Ed Zirkwitz
May 26, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
A Christian romance set in the Amish rural community near Hope Springs, Ohio in what appears to be a modern setting. Clara and Ethan, both young adults, have each broken family upbringing; past baggage leaving them untrusting of ever wanting to fall in love again. Ethan has agreed to raise the 3 young children of his deceased one year younger brother-brother and sister-in-law were killed together. Clara has escaped an abusive relationship, taking along three younger sisters. Both Clara and Ethan ...more
Dianne
Jan 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a short and sweet book. It was an easy read with very little, if any angst.
Gay Ann
May 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
Part of the Brides of Amish Country, this Amish nanny is one of my favorite characters in the series.
Trish Welsh
Aug 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book!!
The Reading Panda
Rating: 3.5 stars

This is one of the most endearing Love Inspired novels I read. In LI Amish novels, the male character is usually gruff and aloof. The male character's slow transformation into a loving husband tends to be cliched and formulaic. What I loved about Ethan was how out of depth he was when taking on the role of father. Readers could "see" not only his capacity to love, but also his need to be loved in return. That vulnerability made Ethan stand apart from male protagonists in other
Kate
Aug 28, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story talks about Clara, Lizzie's older sister. In the previous 'Brides of Amish Country' book, Lizzie was courageous and provided a way for Clara and their younger sisters to escape an abusive situation. That abuse has left Clara with scars though, and she fears that she will never have the desire of her heart: a husband and children.
Ethan has become a ready-made father to his 2 nephews and a niece who have been orphaned by a freak accident. He has no clue though, how to be a parent, and i
Clare O'Beara
I liked this tale of a rural life in modern day, where children running around find dangers on the farm and need supervision.

The adoptive father we meet is an Amish timber man, lugging trunks out of the woods with his mighty Belgian draught horses. Following from The Shepherd's Bride which featured alpacas (as does this book) another sister who is unmarried is hired to be a nanny to the kinner.

I didn't entirely like that almost all the woman's scenes are domestic, but I suppose that it would b
Gail
Nice story. Hero is an Amish lumberjack who uses draft horses for his work. He's raising his brother's 3 children after the deaths of their parents. Heroine is working at his neighbor's house when she sees the oldest boy try to ride one of the neighbor's alpacas, which could seriously hurt the animal. So they take him home to tell his uncle. The heroine gets all worried uncle (hero) might beat the boy, like her uncle did her and her sisters when their parents died, so she sneaks back to make sur ...more
Debbie
Oct 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ethan has brought his nephews and niece to live with him after his brother and wife are killed.He hires Clara to take care of the children while he is working. She and her sisters have been abused by an uncle so she decides she wants to become a teacher to get away. She becomes attached to Ethan's niece and nephews and tries to help the one nephew over come his anger.You feel for the family as you read the story.
Brenda
Nov 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the main reason I love Amish themed stories, is the slow build to a relationship that takes place. No where in the books do you find one of the people lusting after the other and to me, that is what romance should be, the building of the relationship, not sex.

This book is beautiful, thought-provoking and so well written, I felt I was right there watching it happen, not reading a book, but watching a story unfold
Aida
Mar 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy reading this series or collection of novels. It takes me away from reality to a more simple time where the love for God is evident. It's a great lesson about he necessity of letting go of baggage from the past that can negatively change our perception about situations and people. It's a good read.
Angela (Kentuckybooklover) Brocato-Skaggs
I know when I open a Patricia David's book I will enjoy my read. I was once again not disappointed.

Clara and Ethan's story is one of patience, resilience and overcoming your past to live the future God has in store for you.
Anne
Aug 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great book in the Amish story from Patricia Davids. A new family of sisters joined the community to live with their grandpa and put more blessed and happy lives in this happy Amish Community.
Grace
2.5 again, for different reasons but still. I think in this genre, I probably need to put a little more forethought into it. I think this is probably a great book for a different audience. I am not really that audience.
Debby
Dec 29, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Reclusive Amish logger, Ethan Gingerich now has his 3 orphaned nieces & nephews to care for, and it's not going well. Shy Clara Barkman takes the temporary position as their nanny. Both Clara and Ethan have been hurt, but love overcomes all.

Sweet, quick, clean love story.
Jeanie Harper
Jun 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was a great story about the loss of a set of parents, the children left behind at the Uncle`s home and how they all dealt with their grief.

Thankfully, it ended with a terrific romance, at the end.

• A Husband for Mari (The Amish Matchmaker #2)
  • The Farm Stand (Amish Marketplace #2)
  • Lone Star Hero
  • His Montana Sweetheart (Big Sky Centennial, #2)
  • A Heart to Heal (Gordon Falls, #4)
  • A Daughter's Truth
  • While the Duke Was Sleeping (The Rogue Files, #1)
  • This Scot of Mine (The Rogue Files, #4)
  • Murder, Handcrafted (Amish Quilt Shop Mystery, #5)
  • When He Was Wicked: The 2nd Epilogue (Bridgertons, #6.5)
  • Murder, Plainly Read (Amish Quilt Shop Mystery, #4)
  • Hero in Her Heart (The Flanagans, #1)
  • Jedidiah's Bride (Lancaster County Weddings #2)
  • Hannah's Journey (Amish Brides of Celery Fields, #1)
  • Murder, Simply Stitched (Amish Quilt Shop Mystery, #2)
  • The Chaplain's Daughter (Sons of the Shenandoah Book 2)
  • The Cowboy's Bride
  • Silver Heart (Longren Family, #1)
I was born and raised in Northcentral Kansas. I'm a farmer's daughter, but I now make my home in the city of Wichita. I'm an RN. Neonatal nursing has been the main focus of my career. What can I say? I love babies. I was invited to the highschool graduation of a baby I took care of. Talk about making me feel old!

In June of 2011 I became a widow after my husband of 36 years and 11 months died from

Brides of Amish Country (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Katie's Redemption (Brides of Amish Country, #1)
  • The Doctor's Blessing (Brides of Amish Country, #2)
  • An Amish Christmas (Brides of Amish Country, #3)
  • The Farmer Next Door (Brides of Amish Country, #4)
  • The Christmas Quilt (Brides of Amish Country, #5)
  • A Home for Hannah (Brides of Amish Country, #6)
  • A Hope Springs Christmas (Brides of Amish Country, #7)
  • Plain Admirer (Brides of Amish Country, #8)
  • Amish Christmas Joy (Brides of Amish Country, #9)
  • The Shepherd's Bride (Brides of Amish Country, #10)