Start by marking “Promises Under the Peach Tree” as Want to Read:
Promises Under the Peach Tree

Promises Under the Peach Tree

(Heartache #1)

The trouble with Heartache

Nina Spencer swore she was done with Heartache, Tennessee, when she left the town—and her sexy ex, Mack—in her rearview mirror. But when her bakery business is rocked by scandal, she needs a place to regroup. What she doesn't need is Mack Finley reminding her of peach-flavored kisses and the hold he still has on her.

Mack never forgot Nina—not th
Published September 2nd 2014 by Harlequin (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Promises Under the Peach Tree, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Promises Under the Peach Tree

Sophia
I've been wanting to give this author a try for so long particularly after I read such favorable reviews of her books from time to time. I saw the opportunity and the blurb sounded good so I grabbed it. Second chance + small town + romance, love the sound of that!

The story begins when Nina Spencer returns to her hometown after eight years away. She never planned to come back, but with her Gram's failing health and her own failed business, she needs a place to lick her wounds and regroup. She le
Lola
I received a copy in exchange for an honest review

I loved this book, one of the best romance books I read in a long time. I had hoped for a nice romance as those are usually my expectations and most romance books I read get that 4 star rating, but I hadn't expected to love this book so much and it deserves that 5 star rating. This book has everything I look for in a good romance book, a great romance, well developed side characters and an interesting story. There is a lot of things going on, but
Winnie Lim
Mar 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is my first book by Joanne Rock and I really enjoyed it. I love second chances story and this was a sweet, romantic one. Amidst all the sweetness though, this book covers a lot of serious issues such as coping with a bipolar mother, a marriage gone sour causing the daughter a lot of stress and anxiety, death of a friend ultimately causing a young couple to break up. I do like it when an author brings in some serious real life issues to the story. I think a lot of readers can learn from thes ...more
Gail
Joanne Rock consistently writes good stuff. This is yet another. So, the hero and heroine were the hot couple back in high school but they split immediately after graduation, after his best friend dies in a car crash in the hero's car, and his bipolar mom winds up in the hospital from thinking he was the one in the car. The heroine, who had always intended to leave town, leaves early because everybody in town seems to be blaming her for the wreck and the hero won't even talk to her. Lots of hear ...more
Jaymy M.
Mar 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
"Promises Under the Peach Tree" is a departure from Joanne Rock's typical romantic tales, whether the collaborative effort of Joanne and sister-in-law Karen spinning tales of that first crush or Joanne’s Blazing adult romances. but definitely worth the read.
In this super romance, which Lola kindly sent me to review, Rock tackles bipolar disorder, how far medical science has come in the last decade. While not showing in graphic detail manic episodes, Rock definitely shows what a lasting impact
Heather
Feb 04, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
This is the first book I have read by Joanne Rock and I have to admit I was surprised at just how many heavy issues she addressed in this contemporary romance. Romance readers don't often encounter more than one or two obstacles that the characters must overcome to find happiness. However, in this novel there was a bipolar mother, a mental illness that may or may not have been passed onto a son and granddaughter, embezzlement, abandonment and the death of a friend. Fortunately, not all of these ...more
Ishabelle
Promises Under The Peach Tree is a sweet little second-chance love story of two people who had a beautiful love story when they were young until circumstances tore them apart. When the heroine went back to their hometown, their love story is given another chance to grow.

For a category romance, this book is truly sweet without being cheesy. Plus, there'sa sub story going on with the hero's niece and a guy she likes as well as the hero's brother who is having marriage problems.

I liked this book be
Anita Hayes
Aug 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
It took me forever to read Promises Under the Peach Tree only because I love Joannes writing and I hate finishing her books so I stretched it as long as I could. Joannes writing amazes me with the depth that she puts into it. So many characters and everyone of them have personality that is completely different. Yes, you have the basic storyline characters but she adds in half the town with all their quirks and issues. I really loved this book and I already told her on facebook that I sure hope s ...more
Harlequin Books
"Nicely developed characters who possess real depth make this novel a solid read, and the mental issues faced by Mack’s niece and mother are realistic" (RT Book Reviews, 4 stars).

Rock hooked me from the first paragraph and kept me turning the pages eagerly. This is her first SuperRomance and I hope she continues with them. I loved her as an Historical author and she wrote some keepers with her Desire titles but I beleive she has found a new niche. ~ Kim

Normandy
Oct 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
I'm going to love Heartache, TN.

My first book by Joanne Rock. I can't wait to read more about Heartache, TN. Mack and Nina are likable and believable characters that are a bit wounded emotionally and vulnerable. Great coming home story.
Ems. (afternoonbookery)
Jul 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
We all know, that i love Joanne Rock, so of course i knew this was going to be a pretty good read, because i am yet to find one that i didn't like. Promises under the peach tree is a sweet novel that at its heart is all about first love. Nina left heartache in a state of distress one night after a horrible incident, presuming Mack would come with her and they could start a new life together, so when he stays - Nina faces the future alone.

When Ninas business is destroyed by her partner she fleas
Donna
Sep 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Heartache, Tennessee may be a sleepy little town in comparison to New York City, where Nina Spencer lived for the past few years, but it is a welcoming respite after her Cupcake business went under due to her partner running off with a rich client. Coming home to Heartache, broken and disillusioned, Nina finds she is needed by her ailing grandmother and possibly by the one man she thought she would never want to see again.

Mack Finley left Nashville and his thriving bar to help his brother with H
Janie Evans
Feb 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
"Promises Under the Peach Tree" by Joanne Rock is my first read by this author and it will not be my last. I had downloaded this book last year and it got lost among the books in my Kindle. I have to say that I totally LOVED this story. It's a classic romance but brings in modern themes. How decisions of the past affected the love of two characters and the outcome of those decisions. It brings back to Heartache, TN Nina Spencer and Mack Finley.

You'll read about their past, and what made them le
Toni
Aug 24, 2014 rated it really liked it

Joanne Rock’s latest, Promises Under the Peach Tree, is a great reunion story that also happens to take on some very serious issues. Nina left her hometown of Heartache eight years ago right after a serious car accident took the life of one of her classmates. When her partner in her New York bakery absconds with all their funds and one of the grooms the night before his wedding, Nina needs some place to retreat and Heartache it is. Mack’s roots in Heartache run deep, so when his brother asks him
Kate Vale
Aug 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemp-romance
Heartache, TN is the scene of several different heartaches in this uplifting story about Nina Spencer, whose former partner took their cupcake business funds and a groom and fled to the Seychelles. She's come home to Heartache to decide what to do with her life while she takes care of her aging grandmother. Mack Finley comes home to help his older brother save his marriage. Neither Nina nor Mack has any intention of seeing each other, especially since their last encounter was less than positive. ...more
Renee Entress
Sep 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2014
This is a story about heartache. Ironic that Nina has gone back to Heartache, TN. She originally left after a classmate was killed in a car accident. Now she is back. As she is taking care of her grandmother she must figure out what she is going to do with her life. Her partner ran off with one of the grooms and took their money.

Her high school sweetheart Mack is in town also and sparks are flying. With them trying to work through issues in order to have a relationship you wonder if they can wor
Sultry Steamy Reading
I received a reviewer's copy of this book from Lola's Blog Tours in exchange for an honest review.

Rosemary K
Mar 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
When Nina Spencer returns to Heartache she comes face to face with her first love, Mack Finley. Their parting and the tragedy that caused it has haunted both of them for the last eight years. The pain is still there. Can they rebuild this devastated relationship? The attraction and desire still sizzle but they can't forgive and move on. I cared for these two. I was quickly drawn into their story and couldn't put this book down. Nina and Mack belong together. This story has it all - all lovely se ...more
Debbie Ballard
Aug 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved and enjoyed reading the fabulous & fantastic, awesome, romantic love story Promises Under the Peach Tree by Joanne Rock that I received free from First Goodreads.
Nina Spencer comes back to town after her cupcake business fails and she wants to make sure her grandmother is doing okay not knowing that her high school boyfriend who stole and crushed her heart is also back in town, Mack Finley. Mack comes back to town to help out his brother with the yearly harvest festival so his brothe
Emily
Sep 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Nina Spencer is already dealing with a scandal that has destroyed her cupcake business, the last thing she needed was to run int Mack Finley the boy who stole her heart years ago.

Mack has never forgotten Nina, he tried to move on but sees a chance to see what if, especially with Nina's help for the annual Harvest Fest. However there is one thing they wont budge on and it threatens to separate them again, but maybe one of them needs to change their way of thinking to give them a future.

Very swee
Amber
Aug 08, 2014 rated it liked it
This was a very sweet and kind of emotional read. I really love Joanne's writing style. She keeps your interest through the story.
I really liked all the characters and secondary ones were well written too. Nina and Mack both have old demons too face before they can move on. It was a second chance romance for them. They were both strong characters. The romance was predictable but it was still a fun ride. They really belonged together.
I also enjoyed having Ally, Mack's niece's point of view. T
Jess Lawson
Feb 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Oh my how I have fell in love with the Characters of Heartache, TN. I can not wait to read more. I am also glad I just came across this book now since I won't have to wait till the next one comes.. I am off to read it now! You will not be disappointed by this little town, take a tour with Promises Under The Peach Tree.
Michelle Adams
Sep 09, 2014 rated it it was ok
I won this book via goodreads first reads program and I'm glad I did because I would've been a little sad if I had to pay for it, not that I wouldn't have checked it out of the library...maybe. Overall the plot of the book wasn't what bothered me it was just that there was so much that felt cliche, forced, and obvious in the story that bothered me as a reader.
Peggy Clayton
Feb 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book and there was no doubt when I started it that it was going to be hard to put down. This book includes a few of the problems teens experience today and along with that also what some over 60's experience. Not only that but romance and everything that is needed to put together a real page turner!
Pauline Frost
Feb 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I received a copy of this book for review and was glad I had the chance to read it. It was easy to follow along with the characters and know their struggles in everyday living. Family first but finding that one special love to last a life time. Second chances in love and realizing loving the right one can heal all wounds.
Agatha
Aug 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Two characters both have problems from past, can they get over the past, not until end does hero realize he is wrong. Loved this book. Author Joanne Rock does it again. Great writer, great read.Loved this book from start to finish.
Donna
Nov 24, 2018
Christy
Aug 03, 2014

• Mr. Right Goes Wrong
  • Bring Him Home (Special Forces, #3)
  • The Sweetest September (Home in Magnolia Bend #1)
  • Winning Ruby Heart
  • Portrait of a Scandal
  • The Laird's Forbidden Lady (Gilvrys Of Dunross, #1)
  • The Baby Plan
  • The Makeover Prescription (Sugar Falls, Idaho #5)
  • The Billionaire Baby Bombshell
  • The Bridal Path: Ashley
  • The Best Laid Plans
  • The Bridesmaid's Best Man
  • More Than a Rancher
  • Ravished by the Rake (Danger and Desire, #1)
  • The Maverick's Summer Love
  • Staying at Joe's (Castle Creek, #2)
  • Cupcakes and Crushes (Turtle Pine, #1)
  • Forbidden Surrender
USA Today bestselling author Joanne Rock writes romance novels in a variety of sub-genres, from family sagas to sexy contemporaries. A popular workshop speaker, Joanne parlays her experience in the college classroom to substantive seminars that motivate, educate and inspire. Her book Self Promotion: Your Guide to Launching a Book is the culmination of requests for her notes on this topic. She has ...more

Heartache (5 books)
  • Nights Under the Tennessee Stars
  • Dances Under the Harvest Moon
  • Whispers Under a Southern Sky (Heartache, TN)
  • Wishes at First Light