Start by marking “More Than a Rancher” as Want to Read:
More Than a Rancher

More Than a Rancher

Does he dare to follow her lead?
Ballroom dancer Jenna Stevens is done with all things romance. It's so much more satisfying to focus on her career. That is, until she meets Sandro Salazar; a handsome, brooding small-town chef and sometimes rancher. Jenna is drawn to him immediately, but there's no way Sandro could fit into her fast-paced, urban life.

Still, as
Published September 2nd 2014 by Harlequin (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about More Than a Rancher, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about More Than a Rancher

Start your review of More Than a Rancher
Summer
Aug 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
There seems to be a mandate in romances that the hero and heroine must meet as close to the first page as possible, so it was kind of refreshing to wait just a little for the hero’s introduction and instead, get to know Jenna a bit on her own first, establish her character apart from Sandro and their love story.

Ballroom dancer Jenna, is kind and compassionate, but she isn’t perfect, I particularly liked the moment where she was at her worst, when late in the book Sandro makes a confe
Lia Riley
Sep 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
More Than a Rancher is a book that deals with love, life and harrowing addiction. Contrasting rural and city life, the book captures wonderfully the nuances and quirk of San Francisco while showcasing Sierra Nevada ranching communities. This is my second time reading Claire McEwen and she's a one-click author for me now. She's a fresh voice who creates believable characters and transportive worlds.
Eileen
Oct 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was a pleasant surprise and a good read. I'm finding these Harlequin Super Romances really good stories. This one took a tough subject, alcoholism, and dealt with it brilliantly. How do you handle it with a new relationship, and how do you deal with it when it is a parent. Jenna is a ballroom dancer/instructor and has never had the support of her parents. Plus she is dealing with her mother drinking a little bit too much and her father's infidelities.
her best friend is getting married and
Carol  MacInnis
Aug 29, 2014 rated it liked it
I won this book from a contest on Goodrads.

Jenna Stevens' family has never been supportive of her choice of work as a ballroom dancer, teacher as well as she competes, calling it her 'hobby' and to look for a real job. Jenna has just been told by her current boy friend that he has been cheating on her for their entire relationship. From her cheating father and now her 'second' cheating boy friend, she feels there is a pattern in the making here. So she decides to swear off men.
Brianne
Sep 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
I absolutely enjoyed reading More Than A Rancher by Claire McEwen. McEwen captures your hearts and attention with the feisty dance Jenna Stevens who knows exactly what she wants … or doesn’t want in a man … At first she doesn’t want Sandro Salazar, as she has just come out of a heartbreaking relationship and from her first impressions – Sandro is exactly the man that she can’t be with … but the fire and desire between the two cannot be ignored.

McEwen’s writing is so easy and flowing
knots
Jan 10, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: category-romance
The first chapter is magical.But unfortunately the rest doesn't live quite up to my expectations.Pros include a flawed hero who's trying to put his life together.He's bending over backwards trying to build a relationship with the heroine -he suggests that she start a dance studio in his town, or that they can try a long-distance relationship.It is hard to warm up to Jenna since she shoots down all his suggestions.Because of her insecurities and failed relationships she finds it hard to trust him ...more
Kate Vale
Aug 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemp-romance
Jenna Stevens is a professional ballroom dancer. Her family thinks she needs to get a real job. Sandro Salazar, the oldest of four sons, of a sheep rancher, is a chef. He fell off the drugs and alcohol wagon in NYC and has come home to get clean, having concluded that big cities are not for him.

Jenna meets Sandro and his youngest brother, who wants to become a dancer. She offers to teach him, so Sandro brings him to San Francisco, where he meets with a friend and former colleague mak
Kari Lemor
Oct 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved Claire McEwen's debut book A Ranch To Keep and was excited and eagerly awaiting her next installment of More Than A Rancher. The wait was worth it. Again the characters were very three dimensional and got you wanting things to be just perfect for them. Plus we got to see a little bit of the hero and heroine from the first story. I always love revisiting old friends. But the main characters of this book had their own hurdles to cross and we saw them do it with emotion and feeling. This wr ...more
Cecile
Sep 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Some authors are one-hit Wonders and others never hit one out of the park. Claire McEwen is neither of these. This is her second book and it's just as engaging and vividly written as her first.

McEwen has a knack for creating memorable and three-dimensional characters, complete with complicated histories and internal struggles. She is a master at conveying feeling and drawing the reader into the psyches of her characters. She also has an amazing ability to so colorfully create a scene it's as if
Debbie Herbert
Aug 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was a wonderful romance and written in a very elegant style. I admire the way this author has such high emotional conflict, yet still manages to show why J & S are so right for one another. I also thought she did a marvelous job with a hero that had a sordid past. She wasn't afraid to go after the alcoholism issue and handled it with realism and sensitivity. The subplot with Jenna's father also tied in perfectly with the romantic main plot. 5 stars!
Sherry Bohrmueller
Sep 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I received this book from the author for an honest review.

This was a wonderful story of Jenna and Sandro. I love how they met but didn't fall in love right away. They struggled with some major issues but still got their happily ever after. It was a very enjoyable story where the characters jumped off the pages and struggled with realistic issues.

The story was so well written and flowed so well that it was hard to put the book down. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book.
Terri
Jan 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book so much. The love between Sandro and Jenna was so beautiful to watch. As they were both going through a rough time with their families not believing in them, they were so drawn to each other. Sandro thought the best place for him was in a small town. Jenna believed her life belonged in a big city. When you get to the end you will be surprised about what happens in the end and you will also love this book. It is a Must Read kind of book. More Than A Rancher by Claire McEwen.
Cheryl Sanders
Feb 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is the story of Jenna and Sandro. Two people who meet, are attracted to each other, couldn't possibly make it work because of geography and careers but it didn't stop them from trying.

A love story about heartache, addiction, unsupportive families and sacrifice. There was so much more going on in this story but you'll have to read it to find out. This story was very good but it left me with a question or two at the end.

Received a copy in exchange for an honest review.
Katie
Jun 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
So I really, really liked this book. For the most part I don't read romance novels. This one, however, is one that I would recommend. I might even chase down the author's other books and add them to our collection. I really liked the setting and characters. It was just a fun read.
Peggy
Sep 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
~ARC FOR HONEST REVIEW~

Overcoming battles are hard. Overcoming self demons are hard. Trying to love someone who is sure is never easy. But will it happen with these two, can it happen? A easy to follow, well written storyline that you won't put down once you start.
Harlequin Books
"McEwen’s excellent use of description — particularly in Jenna’s dancing and Sandro’s family’s ranch — add nice color to the story. The obstacles the characters overcome to pursue their passions are quite inspiring" (RT Book Reviews, 4 stars).
Natalia
Sep 09, 2019

• The Firefighter's Appeal
  • Falling for the Texas Tycoon
  • Catching Her Rival
  • American Surgeon In London (200 Harley Street, #4)
  • Flirting with the Socialite Doc
  • A Deal with Demakis
  • Rodeo Dreams (Rodeo Dreamers #1)
  • A Promise for the Baby
  • Promises Under the Peach Tree
  • Emily and the Notorious Prince (The Balfour Brides #3)
  • The Magnate's Manifesto
  • The Woman Sent to Tame Him
  • The Sister Swap
  • Only the Brave Try Ballet
  • The Secret Between Them
  • Night of the Cotillion (Georgia, Americana, #10)
  • Heiress's Defiance (The Chatsfield, #8)
  • The Sweetest September (Home in Magnolia Bend #1)
Claire McEwen lives by the ocean in Northern California with her family and a scruffy, mischievous terrier. When not dreaming up new stories, she can be found digging in her garden with a lot of enthusiasm but, unfortunately, no green thumb. She loves discovering flea-market treasures, walking on the beach, dancing, traveling and reading, of course!