Start by marking “The Fortress in Orion” as Want to Read:
The Fortress in Orion

The Fortress in Orion

( Dead Enders #1)

The Democracy is at war with the alien Traanskei Coalition. War hero Colonel Nathan Pretorius has a record of success on dangerous behind-enemy-lines missions, missions that usually leave him in the hospital. Now he's recruited for a near-impossible assignment that may well leave him dead.
At the cost of many lives, the Democracy has managed to clone and train General Mich
Published December 2nd 2014 by Pyr (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Fortress in Orion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fortress in Orion

seak
Sep 20, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arc-review, 2014
Review #1:

"Hey guys, who wants to go to an impenetrable fortress on an impossible mission where everyone will certainly die?" says Coolguy.

"Me!" says Muscles.

"Me too!" says Thief.

"Of course! I don't need reasons for going on missions where I will certainly die!" says Powers.

"Even though you cloned me and I have no actual reasons for believing your society is better than my alien one, I too can't wait to go die!" says Clone.

Spaceship time.

"Wow, it's really dangerous out here, but somehow things a
Jason Pettus
Jan 16, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, contemporary

One of the things I've come to realize about myself in the last several years is that when I call myself a "science-fiction fan," that's actually a bit of a misnomer; I should instead really call myself a "science-fiction dilettante," because as I learned after attending Worldcon in Chicago a couple of yea
Kelly
Oct 26, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Colonel Nathan Pretorius only just survived his last mission. Actually, if you take into account the couple of times he died during surgery, technically he didn’t, but the Democracy doctors have put him back together – prosthetic foot, cloned kidney and spleen and all. Now they want him to lead another mission. Seeing as he is the only surviving member of his last team, Pretorius wants to choose his own people this time.

Rejecting military candidates, Pretorius vets his contacts for less conventi
AudioBookReviewer
Jan 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
This review and many others was originally posted on Audio Book Reviewer

I always like a good military space romp. Having never heard of the author, I am always skeptical. However Christian Rummel as the narrator sold me on this title. I am expecting brutal battles with alien races, technological jargon, and an all over fun listen.

This was a very fast paced, straight forward, good old space military adventure. Our hero, Colonel Nathan Pretorius, is the one the military will send when they they th
Tom
Jan 15, 2015 rated it liked it
Fun, quick read for those who like space opera. My biggest complaint is the ending, which felt rushed, almost as if the author had enough of the story and just wanted to end it and move on to something else
Aaron
Jul 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
This is an entertaining book and I'll probably read the next in the series. It started off pretty funny so I thought it would be full of jokes but the humor kind of whimpered out. A little confusing in some spots, particularly toward the end with all the discussion about which 'level' was best. Could have benefited from a little bit more narration as this book was probably 95% dialogue.
Tamara
Mar 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: scifi
This wasn't bad. It was a pretty typical put a motley group of individuals together to take on an impossible mission. The characters are also fairly typical of those found in other types of these books. That doesn't mean that the characters aren't interesting. The book flows well and the writing is good.
DemetraP
Jan 27, 2018 rated it liked it
a GROUP comes together to basically pull off a heist/military mission. lots of action.
Susan
Nathan Pretorius recently finished a mission that left him missing body parts, which have recently been vat-grown and replaced. While he is still in the hospital, his old friend asks him to take on a near-impossible mission. He agrees, provided he gets to pick his own team. Pretorious and his team must replace an alien Traanskei ruler, Michkag, with a clone. This clone Michkag will help steer the Traanskei Coalition towards peace with the Democracy. The chances of survival and success are both q ...more
Jordan
Jan 02, 2016 rated it liked it
As some of you may know, I review for the San Francisco/Manhattan Book Review in exchange for free books. I'm usually careful not to inadvertently get myself dropped into the middle of a new series. Then I requested The Prison In Antares, not realizing it was book two in a new series. So I hastily tracked down The Fortress In Orion to catch up before I set in. Now I find out that everything Resnick has ever written is set in the same universe! (Okay, just most of it.) I've got a lot of reading t ...more
Zeb Kantrowitz
Aug 21, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: edleweiss-read
This is a story that could pass for the preliminary draft of a comic cross between “Guardians of the Galaxy” and the “Dirty Dozen”. It’s written so tongue -in-cheek that the person next to you will need to duck so they don’t get poked. It all very light hearted, and you know that they are going to get done what they need to get done even though they only have a three percent chance.

This happens in the galaxy of the “Birthright” timeline that Resnick uses in most of his books and series. The Univ
Alex Villepique
Nov 01, 2016 rated it did not like it
(no spoilers)

I borrowed this book from the local library in hope I'll read some nice science fiction books.
And this book was a big flop. The characters are shallow, plot seems like cheating because we're not informed what POV character knows. Not to mention that the POV character is pure Mary Sue. He is almost magical in his abilities, capable of making anyone trust him on the first glance, incredible leader. Almost in every scene, I ended up frowning because the plot was so impossible.
Althoug
Les
Jan 06, 2015 rated it liked it
The very second that I learned of this new book (which is the first of a series) set within Resnick's fantastic 'Birthright' universe, I went straight over to my preferred ebook provider and purchased it. I'm a big fan of Resnick's and I haven't read anything by him that I've not enjoyed, some more than others, but generally I rate his work very highly. However, I admit to being a bit disappointed with this one. In a nutshell, the whole book felt like it was a young adult novel with a few choice ...more
Fantasy Literature
Mar 15, 2015 rated it it was ok
The Fortress in Orion is the first book in Mike Resnick’s DEAD ENDERS series. Colonel Nathan Pretorius is a decorated hero in the Democracy’s twenty-three year war with the Traanskei Coalition. Just as he is recuperating from his last mission, Pretorius is given a new assignment, one that seems impossible. It means infiltrating the heart of one of the Coalition’s best-defended fortresses and substituting an imposter for an important Coalition member. Early in the book, the odds of success are gi ...more
Bart Hill
Aug 09, 2016 rated it liked it
An impossible mission lead by a top-notch military man and his band of "Dirty Dozen" type of warriors -- or maybe "Bad News Bears" misfits?

This book claims it is a space opera, and as such, the reader shouldn't concern themselves about the cast being one-dimensional, non-thinkers (except for their fearless leader who has more luck than James Bond).

The plot is basically: Brilliant military man sent on impossible mission. Military man doesn't want military personnel, but his own ragtag team of mis
James
Jan 31, 2015 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: No one
Shelves: fiction, sf
"Honey, if you're stopping by Petrus IV can you pick me up a psychotic dictator?"
"Sure, mind if I take the thief, the hacker and the strong guy with me?"
"I don't need 'em today, so no."
"OK I'm off, be back soon."

This novel was about as exciting as a trip to the grocery store, maybe less so, stores can have unannounced sales. Extremely thin characters with no motivations, bad dialogue from every B movie bank heist and not much action. The slender plot progresses right down the rails with nary a b
Jo  (Mixed Book Bag)
The Fortress in Orion is classic Mike Resnick. There is great dialog, interesting characters, a fun plot and world building set in the Democracy phase of the Birthright Universe. (The framework for this universe is set in Birthright: The Book of Man an early Resnick book.) To make this even better The Fortress of Orion is the first book in a new series by Resnick.

I loved how Pretorius just keeps everything secret until the last minute and then manages to make it work. The only problem – everythi
Henry Lazarus
Jan 03, 2015 rated it it was ok
I was expecting a twist but Mike Resnick plays his tale straight. Colonel Nathan Pretorius’s impossible mission, if he chooses to accept it, is to take a team deep into Kabori territory to The Fortress in Orion (trade from Pyr) With him is a clone of General Michkag and his handler. The mission is to infiltrate and substitute the clone for the real General. His recruited team includes: Snake, a contortionist thief; Circe an empath; Pandora a computer genius; Gzychurlyx an alien who can create vi ...more
Terry
Jan 02, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Teen SciFi fans
Shelves: sci-fi-read
The first book in a new Mike Resnick series is billed as "Classic Space Opera according to the numerous plugs on the back cover. Resnick's style is very smooth but I found the characters to be rather cartoonish and the plot passed over a lot of depth to get to the climax.

I'm probably a bit spoiled reading the works of David Weber,S.M. Stirling,C.J.Cherryh and others who excel at the genre. I'm sure that others will find it enjoyable; especially those who value action over veracity.
Clay Kallam
Aug 21, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: sf-fantasy
Despite Mike Resnick’s impressive resume, I’d never read anything by him, so I thought it was time. “The Fortress of Orion” (Pyr, $18, 303 pages) is a fun, fast read about a group of misfits led by a maverick soldier who are sent on a seemingly impossible mission. There’s nothing special about the setup, the plot or the characters, but Resnick is a thoroughgoing professional, so it works just fine – as long as your expectations aren’t very high.
Tom Malinowski
Apr 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Nathan Pretorius just woke up in the hospital, banged up from yet another harrowing mission gone right. He's once again tasked to take on an important mission to win the war against the Transkei Coalition. Pretorius recruits a band of misfits who are memorable, hilarious, and deadly. The dialogue smart, settings out of this world, and enough humor mixed in with great sci-fi to keep me hooked.
Craig
Feb 10, 2015 rated it liked it
It's cool to have a new Resnick novel set in the Birthright Universe. It's a kind of light-weight one because the mission is accomplished relatively easily despite how many times it's stated that the odds are a trillion-to-one against it, but there's an engaging cast of characters and some genuinely amusing bits and it's a fun, fast, and painless read. The novel has a subtitle that says "Dead Enders Book One," so I'm hoping they'll face more of a challenge in the next book.
Jeff Crosby
This is the first book in a new series set in the Democracy era of the Birthright Universe. It is essentially a covert commando raid. It has a well paced plot. It has typical Resnick aliens (try to draw a picture of one). It has the typical odd cast of Resnick players. And, its a lot of fun. Recommended for Doc and Kent.
Frank
Dec 31, 2014 rated it did not like it
Bloke gets some boring characters together takes a very long time to get to a planet does some boring stuff and then we get even more of a total lack of excitement afterwards.

Nothing happens.

yeah didnt like this book at all.
Trudi Jorda
Feb 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Mike Resnick keeps the party going and going just like the energizer rabbit! Plenty of action and wit with a cast of characters you are not soon to forget-- like a thief named Snake that can fold herself into any suitcase an ampatha and a soldier who gets all the odd impossible assignments!
Veronica
Feb 16, 2015 rated it liked it
This is an easy to ready well written fun novel of space adventures that reminds me a bit of "Guardians of the Galaxy". The characters are very unique and well written and the plot keeps you glued to the story.
Bryan Schmidt
Nov 27, 2014 rated it liked it
Tons of fun despite an opening slowed by a bit too much banter, but in the end, everything was too easy with no one in any real jeopardy, thus destroying whst could have been awesome tension and a very satisfying ending. Too bad because otherwise it was a blast and would have been memorable.
Maria Villatoro
Nov 06, 2014 marked it as to-read
this sounds life,e an awesome book and the cover us fantastic!!! thanks so much for the giveaway :-)
Al Menaster
Jul 30, 2015 rated it liked it
OK sci fi adventure. Complex plot where nothing goes wrong. Still, well paced, readable.
Saint Lart
Jan 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
More Mike Resnick! YEs, please more! He's one of my favorite Myth and world builders. I'm looking forward to more about the spy who ought be known as the 'one-foot'.

• Mind Storm (Strykers Syndicate, #1)
  • Where
  • Incarnate (The Spellmason Chronicles, #3)
  • Cobra Outlaw (Cobra Rebellion #2)
  • Chain of Command
  • Powers (The Bladesmith, #1)
  • Cuttlefish (Cuttlefish, #1)
  • Eat, Fast, Slim: The Life-Changing Intermittent Fasting Diet for Amazing Weight Loss and Optimum Health
  • Undercity (Major Bhaajan, #1)
  • The Door in the Mountain
  • The Last Dream Keeper (The Witches of Echo Park, #2)
  • Eric Olafson : Space Pirate (Eric Olafson Series)
  • The Nimble Man (The Menagerie, #1)
  • Dark Deeds (Keiko, #3)
  • Tentyrian Legacy
  • Crucible Zero (House Immortal, #3)
  • London Eye (Toxic City, #1)
  • KOP (Juno Mozambe Mystery #1)
Michael "Mike" Diamond Resnick, better known by his published name Mike Resnick, is a popular and prolific American science fiction author. He is, according to Locus, the all-time leading award winner, living or dead, for short science fiction. He is the winner of five Hugos, a Nebula, and other major awards in the United States, France, Spain, Japan, Croatia and Poland. and has been short-listed ...more

Dead Enders (3 books)