Start by marking “The Winds of War & War & Remembrance” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Winds of War & War...

Herman Wouk

The Winds of War & War & Remembrance

4.57  ·  Rating details ·  731 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews

These two classic works capture the tide of world events even as they unfold the compelling tale of a single American family drawn into the very center of the war's maelstrom.

The multimillion-copy bestsellers that capture all the drama, romance, heroism, and tragedy of the Second World War and that constitute Wouk's crowning achievement are available for the first time i

Hardcover
Published October 1st 1978 by Little Brown and Company

To ask other readers questions about The Winds of War & War & Remembrance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Winds of War & War & Remembrance

Lynn
Mar 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I've read these books a couple of times and now I've listened to them with audio.com. Herman Wouk is brilliant. Just as a historical review, these books are valuable, but they offer so very much more in terms of character, plot, and themes. Two of the best books ever written!
Pat Murphy
Mar 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
FYI The Winds of War & War & Remembrance was two actual bound books for me. The story went from one to the other seamlessly. This is fiction which is written in the confines of actual history. I found the books fascinating. It was one of those things where I was a little ticked at how the story ended because there were threads which were left un-ended, characters whom I wanted to know more about how they came out. I must say that I have become more of a non-fiction reader lately. I still ...more
Christine
Nov 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everybody interested in WW II
Once every decade I am rereading Herman Wouks 2.200 pages master piece on WW II. I love the TV mini series with Robert Mitchum, watched it in 1985 (and several more times ever since) and then read both books.
US Naval Captain Victor Henry was actually hoping to soon command a battle ship when he gets sent to Berlin in Germany as a Naval Attache at the American embassy in Berlin...

Read the amazon.com reader's reviews, you will see that this epic is the best story written on WW II from it's beginni
John
Nov 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
These two books are not for everyone. It helps if you already know the history of World War II well. You will learn more than you want to know about the US Navy. And you might grow weary of some of the characters. However, if you read it, you will discover stories you have never read anywhere else, told with details reflecting diligent research, about individuals whom you know intimately, who gradually and reluctantly learn that they do not control their own fates. They are carried away by the m ...more
Chris Schumann
Jul 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed "The Winds of War". This was great historical fiction and a good study of the politics in Germany leading up to the war. "War and Remembrance", telling the story around the characters during WWII while still a great book seemed a little long and in my opinion spent more time focused on the Jewish issue during the war, given that this is a book focused on a military family. Both are good rewarding reads.
Pat
Mar 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is the third or fourth time I've read these books, plus I've watched the mini-series multiple times. Well researched and well told pre-WWII through post-WWII following the Henry family through the trials and tribulations of the times. Pug Henry becomes a close observer/participant to history making situations. Son Byron marries a Jewish woman who, though American, is in Italy and gets swept up in the Nazi purge of the Jews. Compelling reading.
Hubertus W.
Aug 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Taken together, these two books are among the greatest novels written about WW II & the Holocaust. To scale these monumental works is to be granted an Everest-like view of history & humanity.
Chapler
Oct 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Fictionalized Historically Accurate in the vein of non-fiction, though as with Uris and Mitchner, the literary employment of using composite characters to move characters in a 'driven way' blurs the line' bringing historically accurate, dates, figures who were in attendance stretching only to chronicle thoughts, fears, secret motivations unshared decades later through their posthumous journals/writings released under caveats in the vein only 50 years after i am gone, only if peace accords btw X ...more
Vicki Andrada
Jun 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book was great! It is fictionalized characters, but it is set in the true history of the time. Herman Wouk did his research.

In the first book winds of war I learned a hole lot about what went on, the denial that pervaded many of the people at that time. Many didn't want to see a war coming, and some just couldn't imagine there would ever be one. I don't know why, but many of them actually thought Hitler a reasonable man that wouldn't want to go to war. I have to think this had to do with th
Vadim Muchnik
Mar 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I read both books through audible.com while driving on business - about 60 hours of listening combined. I was glued to the wheel and would have kept driving if i could.

Not only did I submerged into the epic drama of the Jastrow's, Henry's and Leslie Sloat, I've gotten an excellent historical overview of the WWII fro perspective of Allies, Axes. Also, Wouk opened my eyes about chilling indifference towards Jewish plight and stonewalling at State Department and Bermuda Conference.
Jo Ann
Jan 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
These books changed my opinion of history, I hated the subject in school. This is the way history should be taught real drama, real people struggling in the midst of chaos. Impacting everyone no matter the social class or religion, the long-lasting impact on each person. It is the best war based book I have ever read.
William
Nov 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
These books should be considered together. Best way to learn about the holocaust. Great read for anyone from a high school-er on up.
One of my all time favorites and always a great recommendation.
Camille
Jun 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I read these books when my children were little. I remember when I finished War and Remembrance in the middle of the night going into my childrens' room and crying because I loved them so much and because the stories of the characters in this 2nd world war novel touched me so deeply.
Jul 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Love this amazing story! A family's struggles during world war 2 pulls the reader into the lives of each person and makes you feel like you are right there with them. Fantastically written!
Donna
Jan 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Part two just as good a part one.
Harry Moncelle
Apr 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Illuminating reading and great social and world history of 1939-1943 years.
Bob
Aug 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a great story, well written, and utterly engrossing. I last read it 25 or 30 years ago.
Mona
Sep 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Amazing. Totally got lost in the story.
Rachel
Mar 15, 2012 added it
Loved them!
Andria
Dec 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was read during a time when I loved epic novels that you could dive in and it would seem that you would never come out of the life of the novel.
Tammy
Aug 25, 2008 added it
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Tammy by: my mom
oh my gosh. the best book i have ever read. historical fiction/romance/mystery about several families in the period of ww II. A MUST READ. quite a long book, but it ends too soon.
Suzi
Feb 09, 2008 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Tom's grandpa highly recommended these to me before he passed away. We used to talk about the holocaust and different books we'd read and I loved his taste. So, I plan on reading these for sure!
Gcasa
Mar 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
one of the great historical novels
Alison
Mar 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Read this the summer before UCLA and remember staying up almost all night. Would love to read it again.
Gusdiana
Sep 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
loved! History!
Oct 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This book took a while to get involved but once I was captured by the characters, I fell in love with the characters and the story.
Beth Messina
Feb 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
These books were just amazing. I love love Herman Wouk.
Vonnie
Apr 21, 2014 added it
Packed with insight as to what is happening today.
Stephanie Howard
Mar 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
My all-time favorite book!
Andi Trindle
Feb 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audible-done
Truly marvelous writing and craftsmanship. Very moving. Ended a bit abruptly but it had gone on a long, long time so I can forgive .
missing pages ? 1 1 Feb 04, 2016 09:17PM
  • The First Clash: The Miraculous Greek Victory at Marathon and Its Impact on Western Civilization
  • President Reagan: The Triumph of Imagination
  • The Immortalization Commission: Science and the Strange Quest to Cheat Death
  • The Eichmann Trial
  • The Notes: Ronald Reagan's Private Collection of Stories and Wisdom
  • Brothers, Rivals, Victors: Eisenhower, Patton, Bradley and the Partnership that Drove the Allied Conquest i n Europe
  • They Made America: From the Steam Engine to the Search Engine: Two Centuries of Innovators
  • Change Your Life in 30 Days: A Journey to Finding Your True Self
  • The Big Bam: The Life and Times of Babe Ruth
  • Branch Rickey
  • Michael Freeman's Perfect Exposure: The Professional's Guide to Capturing Perfect Digital Photographs
  • Focus: Achieving Your Highest Priorities
  • Empires of Light: Edison, Tesla, Westinghouse, and the Race to Electrify the World
  • Colossus: Hoover Dam and the Making of the American Century
  • Born in Africa: The Quest for the Origins of Human Life
  • Spacesuit: Fashioning Apollo
  • 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea (Fast Track Classics)
  • The Cultural Contradictions of Capitalism
Herman Wouk is a bestselling, Pulitzer Prize-winning Jewish American author with a number of notable novels to his credit, including The Caine Mutiny, The Winds of War, and War and Remembrance.

Herman Wouk was born in New York City into a Jewish family that had emigrated from Russia. After a childhood and adolescence in the Bronx and a high school diploma from Townsend Harris High School, he earned
More about Herman Wouk...