Start by marking “Emancipating Alice” as Want to Read:
Emancipating Alice

Emancipating Alice

Now that her husband, George, is dead, middle-aged homemaker Alice Owens thinks his oppressive reign over her life has ended—but she is wrong.
George thwarts her attempts at freedom, mentally and physically, from beyond the grave.
* * *

Alice returns from a routine grocery-shopping trip to find her husband slumped over their kitchen table, as dead as her love for him.
Paperback, Second Edition, 346 pages
Published July 9th 2014 by Poison Arrow Publishing (first published November 5th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Emancipating Alice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Emancipating Alice

Start your review of Emancipating Alice
Elizabeth
Sep 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
What a clever and unusual book. A teaser. You will either love this or hate it. No middle ground. I loved it!
Christoph Fischer
“Emancipating Alice” by Ada Winder is a book I have been looking forward to read for some time and stayed at the bottom of my pile as incentive to do less promising work. I knew from the first page onwards I was going to like this and I was right about that.
After over 30 years of marriage George dies and his widow Alice needs to come to terms with her loss and her memories. A very sentimental but incredibly well done and touching first part tells us about the first few days after the death and –
Ionia
Feb 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
How anyone could read this book and not fall in love with it would be beyond my scope of understanding. I was amazed when I read the afterthoughts of the author to learn that this novel was a National Novel Writing Month book. I have read many, and this book far surpassed the others.

This novel is simply wonderful. At times it is disturbing, always refreshing and at the very heart of this book is the raw emotion of a woman who never got the chance to experience the life she felt she deserved. Fic
Marcy
Jun 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
I won a copy of Emancipating Alice as a goodreads first read giveaway.

I really, really liked this book. Even though I guessed somewhat early on how the ending would happen,it did not stop me from being engrossed with this book until the very end.
The is the story of Alice and George Owen. The novel starts out with Alice coming home from the grocery store to find George dead at the kitchen table. You will find out why Alice has a love/hate relationship with her husband, and the secrets that was k
Kate McVaugh
Mar 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very clever opening – a shopping list interspersed with Alice’s inter-dialogue reflecting the insight that her husband has just died. The reader is already curious about the couple’s relationship. We then flash back to the beginning of their courtship in college which already indicates signs of a controlling husband to be. Perfect dialogue!

I've only read the ABNA excerpt, but hope to get to the rest of this book soon.

Sarah Weathersby
Jan 30, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: literary, e-book, kindle
We meet Alice in the grocery store, shopping while she waits for the appropriate time to go home and find her husband dead. The reader knows she has killed him, but we don't know why or how, or how she will get away with it.

Very well written, but we could have done without Chapter Fourteen.
Laurel-Rain
Feb 15, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
From the beginning, their relationship had an imbalance built into it by the very double standard that often defined relationships in those times. It was the 1970s and they were in college when they began, and even though Alice was feeling the thrill of realizing her own dreams, the marriage between her and George was not to be an equal one.

He expected her to give up on her career aspirations, since he could provide financial support for them. None of her protests changed anything. She could hav
Donna
May 02, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
For an independently published book from a debut author, "Emancipating Alice" isn't half bad. Editing errors are minimal (mostly of the "missing comma" variety), there are no glaring formatting flaws, and author Winder is a competent writer.

The story starts off with promise. Alice, a middle-aged housewife, is at the grocery store when she is overwhelmed by the sense that George,her husband of many years, has died. As Alice continues to shop, Winder makes it clear that Alice is somehow responsibl
Nikki
May 14, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Emancipating Alice” is Ada Winder debut novel. The novel begins with Alice, a middle-aged homemaker, who comes home to her husband George dead at the kitchen table. Her first thought is that she is finally free of him. She spends the first day clearing every item he owned out of her house and does not call their children with the news until the next day.

Her world was one giant exercise in double standards. Her husband forced her to begin dating him, distance herself from any other male, give up
PacaLipstick Gramma
An interesting book. I thought the writing was very good. Very realistic. For content and writing the author deserves 5 stars. But for me personally, it was the gnawing in my gut, the uneasiness that I felt about the subject matter that I rated it 3 stars.

I thought that the author did an excellent job on how Alice was manipulated by George. At times it was difficult to read about how he threatened her and controlled her, but as a classic abuser, he was free to do what he wanted, when he wanted,
Joanne
Feb 10, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I received Emancipating Alice, by Ada Winder, as a Goodreds First Reads giveaway winner. I enjoyed the book & liked the detailed characters. It was sad in more than the traditional way. I could relate to parts of it. I could even understand some of the decisons the characteras made. Part of me just wanted the primary characters to step up and be honest and make the changes everyone who reads the book is probably hoping they'll make. It wasn't exciting, psychologically thrilling or mysterious, bu ...more
Carla
Mar 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Wonderful debut novel that opens with Alice in a grocery store wondering if her husband at home is dead. She just has a "feeling". We then learn about Alice's life with her husband. The first part of the book is from Alice's viewpoint, the second part from her husband George's. The character detail is outstanding! We quickly get to know (or do we?) the main characters in the story and learn about how they met and their married life. A captivating book. ...more
Robbi Leah  Freeman
Sep 02, 2014 rated it it was ok
A story about a wife who gives up hopes and dreams for a husband. First I knew the ending at the beginning. I hated the characters. I read it all to see where author was going but it just led to what I already knew. Just my opinion, lots of others liked it.
Sonya Mendeke

• The Nazi Officer's Wife: How One Jewish Woman Survived the Holocaust
  • The Eagle Tree
  • Sophie's Choice
  • The Loch
  • Some Can See (Northern Michigan Asylum #1)
  • Calling Back the Dead (Northern Michigan Asylum #2)
  • Ashes Beneath Her (Northern Michigan Asylum #3)
  • Inspection
  • The Favorite Daughter
  • The Death of Mrs. Westaway
  • Around the Bend
  • The Ventriloquists
  • Meg (Meg, #1)
  • Bang Up: A Filthy Comedic Thriller
  • Nightstalkers (Meg #5)
Ada Winder lives in California chasing dreams and shadows.
She writes literary and women's fiction--sometimes at the same time.