Start by marking “The Wall” as Want to Read:
The Wall

The Wall

NAMED ONE OF THE BEST BOOKS OF THE YEAR BY PUBLISHERS WEEKLY

Compared by critics to Kafka, Joyce, and Musil, H. G. Adler is becoming recognized as one of the towering figures of twentieth-century fiction. Nobel Prize winner Elias Canetti wrote that “Adler has restored hope to modern literature,” and the first two novels rediscovered after his death, Panorama and The Journey
Published December 2nd 2014 by Random House

Start your review of The Wall
Zeb Kantrowitz
Dec 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is the third book of Adler’s “Shoah Trilogy” (after “The Journery” and “Panorama”). Like Elie Wiesel, he is a holocaust survivor (of four different camps) and brings a unique prospective to his fiction. One of his other books is about the ‘model camp’ Theresienstadt (Terezin in Czech) where the character Arthur Landau’s grandmother was interned. Though the story was written right after the war, it wasn’t published until 1989.

The main character, Arthur Landau, returns to his native city (wh
Lorri
May 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
The Wall: A Novel, was not an easy read, by any stretch of the imagination or emotions.

I found myself within the depths of a depressed mind, and not always aware of whether Arthur Landau, the main character, was in a delusional state or having a moment of clarity and/or reality.

He was in a constant melancholy state, unable to garner the energy to do simple tasks.

I am aware (through reading about 1,000 Holocaust memoirs and fiction), of the ways that the horrors of the Holocaust affected thous
wally
Jun 14, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adler
"finished" this one today, 14 jun 17. type "the wall" into the search for books and you get everything but. had to find this one on goodreads by internet search-engine. c'est la vie. filkins is the translator and he had an introduction here, read that, looked at a review or two, had the sense that this would be difficult. ummm, yes and no. it's not too difficult to figure the when that doesn't necessarily follow any linear progression, though it does in a sense. the wall.

two stars. it was okay.
Amy Caroline
Jan 22, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: gave-up
I realised this was 3rd in a trilogy after I had started reading it when I Googled it to find out more about it. Nothing in the blurb or inside cover suggested it was part of a series. That being said it sounded like it could be read alone.

I very rarely give up on a book but 50 pages in I had no idea what was going on. No chapter or section breaks. No way of telling when time has moved in. No way of telling whether the events are his fears for the future, a dream, a hallucination or actually hap
Beth Kowalski
Apr 01, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Couldn't finish it. Pages and pages of introspection.
Craig
Where to start?
A very difficult book to get through, yet it held me to the end. Very dark, and at times ( especially early ) very hard to follow. Vague as to the specifics of loss and inhuman treatment at the hands of the Nazis ( though not named); loss of family, community, dignity, and thematically, self. Pathos and nightmares, failure and rejection all follow. Slowly, the reader grows to begin to understand the devastation of self, imposed on Arthur Landau. Though his new life exists, he has
Amy (Bossy Bookworm)
Nov 09, 2014 marked it as to-read
Third and final: first two novels rediscovered after his death, Panorama and The Journey, were acclaimed as “modernist masterpieces” by The New Yorker. Now his magnum opus, The Wall, the final installment of Adler’s Shoah trilogy and his crowning achievement as a novelist, is available for the first time in English.
Erika Dreifus
Dec 12, 2014 marked it as to-read
Adding this to my TBR list based on Adam Kirsch's review for Tablet: http://tabletmag.com/jewish-arts-and-... ...more
Chantal Papez
too long
Irene
Dec 22, 2014 rated it it was ok
Kindle -- even if I read the previous 2 books, I would not have given this a higher mark. I am not partial to laments, even though I understand those books have a place. I prefer a good story.
Linda Boswell
Dec 04, 2014
Luiz Carlos
Nov 29, 2014
Helen Rosenau
Nov 26, 2014
RenaeLatoski
rated it did not like it
Oct 30, 2016