Start by marking “Animosity” as Want to Read:
Animosity

Animosity

Animosity is the story of Andrew Holland, a bestselling horror writer whose life begins to mirror the fictional nightmares of his novels after he finds himself in the wrong place at the wrong time. Andys wife recently left him for another man. To keep from getting too depressed about that, Andy has thrown himself into his writing more vigorously than ever, when hes not ...more
Published March 13th 2014 by Permuted Press (first published April 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Animosity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Animosity

Start your review of Animosity
Char
Mar 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I don't even know what to say. I'm moved, I'm pissed off, and I'm shaken. This was a powerful tale.

A brutal story made even more so by the fact that it could (mostly) happen. A child's dead body is discovered by a horror author. From then on, his life will never be the same.

There are many levels here, from a fearless look at mob mentality to a scathing commentary on the sad state of our media. All combining into a monumental explosion of a denouement. The only issue I had was that the story
Jon Recluse
Sep 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Judge not.

This is one of the most powerful horror novels I have read in my life. Because it can happen. It is happening. And there is no end in sight.
In a world where public opinion, born of baser impulses, rules. Internet judgement. Trial by Facebook. Where a rumor, a flat out lie, can take on a life of it's own, usually from the broken body of the truth, left to rot, forgotten in the mad rush to judgement, which builds from a trickle to a torrent without thought. Fueled by an irresponsible
Paul Nelson
Animosity is one of those books that no matter your preferred genre, should definitely be read. An incredibly powerful story that will leave a lasting impression. James Newman proves he is a master storyteller with a tale that builds the tension in a slow, measured fashion, bordering on torture until an almost surreal explosion of hatred brings an incredulous finale.

Theres no fantastical elements, no ghosts or horror as such, just a gritty tale of realism, that you could envisage actually
Edward Lorn
Apr 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
For reference, here's the list of my Top Twenty Reads of All Time. (ANIMOSITY has not been added yet, because I want to showcase those that came before it.) Once you click over, I'd like you to note only the top five. Now, on with the review.

ANIMOSITY is the best book I've read. Period. Will you think so? Well, this comes down to, as always, personal preference and the foundation on which you've built your life. My own perception of the human condition is different than yours. I'm a horror
Gregor Xane
Apr 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014
This suspense novel is damned near perfect. The only things keeping me from proclaiming this the best thriller I've ever read are some decisions two characters make in the second half of the novel that I didn't quite find believable. Other people might read the whole book and have no idea what I'm talking about, and that would be great. That would mean that they loved this thing even more than I did.

This book does everything a suspense novel should do:

- It kept me up late
- It prevented me from
Richard
*3.5 Stars*
This is the type of story that I'm a sucker for: the focus on the dark-side of human nature and how society naturally can turn on itself and become something terrifying. Here, we follow a commercially successful horror writer that stumbles onto the corpse of a raped and murdered little girl, and the way that the media and gossip causes his small town to turn against him.

Much of your enjoyment of this novel might hinge on how well you think the transition into the mob mentality works.
Chris Berko
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow, that was intense. While reading this I kept thinking of what I have read about the Salem Witch Trials and the hysteria that overtook people and communities in the 1690s. Are we the same people as back then just with better technology? I'm sure the neighbor from next door in this book would have some sort of quote that fits somewhere in there, but I digress. This was another fantastically entertaining book from James Newman and I love his writing style because he goes into the places other ...more
Kelly
Apr 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror

5 stars

Wow, this was one powerful read! I really enjoyed this fast paced horror thriller by new to me author James Newman and I'll definitely be checking out more of his books.
Jules
Nov 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Wow! This was a surprisingly impressive read. I finished it this morning, and I'm still feeling on edge about the whole experience. I think my mind believes it experienced the ordeal for real.

This is a fast paced suspense horror thriller. It had me feeling slightly uneasy, very paranoid, afraid, panicky, stressed, in tears (the poisoning part, oh no, so sad), angry, and having to read as fast as I possibly could to find out what happens next.

This is a very believable and somewhat unnerving
Adam Light
Well, where do I start?

Animosity is my first read from James Newman, and as a caveat I must point out that I was the lucky recipient of a free copy the author offered in exchange for a fair and honest review.

No problem! I loved it! Hands down, this is the best book I have read this year, and I read a lot. Pretty much constantly if I can manage it.

I have read other reader's reviews and I don't see the need to get all redundant and waste words rehashing what everyone is saying already.

What I will
11811 (Eleven)
Mar 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This is a literary anxiety attack that will leave you popping Xanax like it's candy. I was legitimately frightened by this one and that doesn't happen often. The final 25% made my muscles sore because I was so tensed up while reading. I may need to adjust my top 5 books of all time. It is definitely one of the most important horror novels I ever read.

This needs a wider audience and an eventual film deal. Somebody should get on that.
Wayne Barrett
Jan 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, 2016

3.5

A moving example of how the media can propagate the facts of an event, thereby inciting the public to act in ways that will bring even more drama for their market.

This poor guy is stereotyped for being a Horror writer. when asked why I write Horror, I like to answer that I prefer writing about something that is true as opposed to something that presents false impressions, such as Romance... or politics!
Iain Wright
Oct 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Whenever I review a piece of work I try very hard to find a balance between the good and bad. While my reviews generally focus more on the positive aspects of a novel, out of fairness to the author, I always try to highlight any flaws I see. ANIMOSITY, by James Newman, however, is one of those rare novels that left me with absolutely nothing negative to say about it, and as such was one of my best reads of 2011 so far.

What is really unique about ANIMOSITY is how much tension it manages to create
Kimberly
Dec 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Absolutely, unquestionably, one of the best books I have ever come across! James Newman throws out all the emotions you would expect to encounter in a horror novel--and then takes it up several notches! What makes ANIMOSITY stand out so far among the other books out there, is that this is a story of something that COULD happen. It explores some of the evil in our world today, when Andy (a horror novelist) finds the recently raped and murdered body of a little girl in an empty lot on his street.

Bill
May 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
My expectations were so high coming into this one, I was almost afraid to read it. Im glad I did, and I wasnt disappointed. There is a palpable sense of dread and building tension, in Animosity, that grabs you around the throat until it is hard to breathe.

Andy writes horror, and now, he gets to live one.
Andy has neighbors, and now, he gets to kill some.

An idyllic town goes sideways, after the death of a young girl, in a frenzy of mob mentality fueled by their idiotic prejudices and misguided
SUSAN   *Nevertheless,she persisted*
A solid 3.5 stars.

Bestselling horror writer Andy Holland is walking his dog one morning when he comes upon the corpse of a 7yr old girl.
With a statutory rape conviction in his past,the police and his neighbors begin to question his innocence,and the subject matter of his books.

Well written,creepy and well within the realm of possibilities.
E.
Overall, I wasn't quite as "wowed" as most, but I did like it. The first half of the book steadily increased my anxiety level, for sure. By the end of the first half I was so pissed off at these neighbors that I was cursing them quietly while I was reading.

Side note: I've lived in my house for 16 years and my neighbors on both sides have changed a couple of times. One of them -a grown man with kids-I caught sneaking down my driveway with a bow and arrow, following my cat. I confronted him and
Bandit
Jan 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
I heard so many good things about this one that by the time I got to read it certain expectations were in place and Animosity didn't disappoint. It starts off horrifyingly and ends the same way, last chapter being one of the most graphically disturbing things I've read recently including the news. And then the middle of the book tell the readers how a quaint suburban community turned into a Danteesque nightmare. There is no supernatural element here at all, unlike in so many horror ...more
Kenneth McKinley
Jun 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I first discovered James Newman briefly in his excellent werewolf short story, The Virgin O' Full Moon Falls and I was looking forward to the much hyped Animosity. Let me tell ya, the hype was warranted. Newman delivered and then some.

Andy is a successful horor author. He's a beloved figure on his cul de sac getting along well with his neighbors. His books are featured down at the local convenience store. Although Andy is trying to get over a painful divorce where his wife ran off with the guy
Lee  drunkonbookz
May 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle
This book sums up perfectly how the majority of the public take everything the media tells them as gospel and how easy we can be sucked into a vortex of an adrenaline rush mob mental state.

But it makes one ponder are writers of horror more likely to do evil things?
Are they living out their fantasies through their books?
And what does that say for us readers of horror? Are we more likely to turn a peaceful protest into something ugly or join a hate group? I think not.

What made this story so
Karl
Jun 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In the introduction to the Necessary Evil Press edition to "Animosity" Ray Garton speaks to events in his own life that parallel the events in this Masterfully written tale of lies, fear, and hatred toward an innocent writer of best selling horror novels.

Andy Holland the main character lives in a neighborhood just like our neighborhood. His neighbors are our just like our neighbors. He has a great dog and a beautiful daughter. Mr. Newman is convincingly able to show us how hatred and ugliness
Chris
Feb 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
In a tautly written, well-crafted thriller, James Newman presents a grim tale of suburban horror that begs the question: do we really know our neighbors, those folks we've said hello to almost every day, shared beers and weekend barbecues with, laughed and cried with?

Bestselling horror novelist, Andrew Holland, stumbles upon a horrific discovery one day while out walking his dog, and soon becomes trapped in a maelstrom of terror and madness.

Highly recommended!
Aaron Nash
May 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book shows perfectly how the media can alter people perceptions, and how rumours can develop into something much more sinister. Apart from maybe a little too much mob mentality towards the end, this is believable and harrowing, and will anger you to your core.
Glen Krisch
What a dark, DARK novel. Human monsters, can it get more real?
Rob Twinem
Jun 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Ten minutes ago I killed three of my neighbors...Four, if you count the baby. What a start! to a fantastic rollercoaster of a ride the leaves the reader breathless right to the last page. Andy Holland is a horror writer (and we love horror writers!) living single at home from his estranged wife Karen (who he found in an uncompromising position with her boss!) and daughter Samantha. Andy is carrying a lot of heartache theres just him now, and his good old buddy his faithful dog Norman and one day ...more
Alex findingmontauk1
Nov 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle-books, owned
I lucked out again and this awesome author sent me a free copy of this book for an honest review. This is my second book by Newman and while it was different than Odd Man Out, there were some things that were similar: crowd psychology and social norms, the monsters that live inside us, and just sheer fear and terror. I found that the more of this book I read, the faster I was turning the pages. It's almost as if my excitement, anxiety, and fear were all linked to the main character's as his ...more
Pete Kahle
Mar 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I've been an avid fan of James Newman for years and, although his first novel MIDNIGHT RAIN will always remain my favorite, this one packed a meaner punch... one that will stick with me for a long time.

Andrew Holland, the main character in ANIMOSITY, is a successful author of horror novels. As with other authors of "genre fiction", his success comes with a bit of eye-rolling and turned-up noses from a portion of the population who disapproves of such fare. They're the same folks who believed
Pamellia
Jul 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Recommended
Animosity by James Newman
Opened July 16, Closed July 18, 2014
Recommended by friends from Goodreads
Borrowed

As well as I remember I have only read one other book by James Newman and that was Midnight Rain. I must say of the two, Animosity was my favorite.

The story starts out at the end of the story, so that I was wondering what the heck happened for friends and neighbors to end up like this.

The plot moved along nicely. It was difficult to put this book down and continue with my activities of daily
Scot
Mar 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
animosity [an-uh-mos-i-tee]

noun

a feeling of strong dislike, ill will, or enmity that tends to display itself in action: a deep-seated animosity between two sisters; animosity against one's neighbor.

This is how the dictionary defines animosity.
James Newman defines it as a dread infused nightmare, an amazing tale of the horror that lies in wait behind white picket fences and signs declaring "Welcome Friends" , where the true monsters live next door offering you a beer or a "Howdy, neighbor".

This
Michelle
Jun 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-owned
This is a whirlwind read that sweeps you along like a paper boat tossing on the ocean as the tension builds until the final pages.

ˌantipathy, hostility, friction, antagonism, enmity, animus, opposition, aversion, acrimony,, rancour, resentment, dislike, ill feeling, bad feeling, ill will, bad blood, hatred, hate, loathing, detestation, abhorrence all boil with the story.

Like Andy, the main character, you cannot quite believe what is happening and you feel sure common sense will prevail within
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Horror Aficionados : Animosity by James Newman 83 64 Nov 24, 2014 09:22AM

• My Pretties
  • Sour Candy
  • ASBO (Damienverse, #2)
  • The Resurrectionist
  • Kin
  • Oasis of the Damned
  • The Summer I Died (The Roger Huntington Saga, #1)
  • Brother
  • Jack & Jill
  • Of Foster Homes and Flies
  • The Nightmare Room (The Messy Man, #1)
  • The Mailman