Start by marking “Earthways: Simple Environmental Activities for Young Children” as Want to Read:
Earthways: Simple Environmental Activities for Young Children

Earthways: Simple Environmental Activities for Young Children

This book is packed with over 200 pages of art and nature activities that promote first-hand environmental understanding and teach children to become creators, not just consumers. Ideas for teaching about recycling, composting, and thrift are geared to the learning abilities of young children. Includes a complete teacher unit.
Published July 1st 1992 by Gryphon House

To ask other readers questions about Earthways, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Earthways

Start your review of Earthways: Simple Environmental Activities for Young Children
Jaimie Franchi
Aug 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I recently borrowed this from a friend and read it cover to cover on a greyhound bus ride last week. I can't believe I'm able to say this, but even after all the kids' craft books I've read, I got many new ideas from this book, some of which we've already successfully tried. The intro chapters have great ideas as well.
lisa z
Sep 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing
i loved staying at home with ramona and levi possibly the only thing i've excelled at thus far. our world was filled with endless possibilities of things to be made out of our meager pantry or thrift store art supplies. in the summer we would search the beach for pebbles in the fall we would collect red and yellow leafs as though they were gold, bring them home and carefully inspect and identify them and paste them perfectly onto construction paper books tied with red string. this is one of the ...more
Kellie
Aug 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! The best book I have read of its kind by far - don't let the cheesy 70s cover scare you. Lots of really wonderful simple projects that a four year old is capable of doing but are still interesting to a nine year old (and their mom). These are not throw-away projects either - they are lasting or useful. Examples include beeswax candle-making, walnut or bark boats, folding paper boxes, drying apples, and indoor seasonal displays. I also enjoyed the "supplying the missing links" sections ...more
Carrie
Sep 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: homeschooling
This book is so fantastic! I love how the crafts are divided by age/skill level and they are really quite easy but still enjoyable to do.
Rachael Lauritzen
Mar 04, 2008 rated it really liked it
Lots of fun ideas for kids, good instructions for the adults. I liked the seasonal emphasis and the section at the beginning of each season/section on what parents/teachers can do for themselves and the kids.
Melanie
May 13, 2010 rated it liked it
This book has some fun ideas for crafts using items found in nature or that you typically have around the house. It is broken into seasons and is geared toward classroom use, but has worked well at home.

I love the ideas it includes for setting up outside play spaces!
Kit
Okay, the book is a bit old for my toddler, but I loved it anyway. It has some great ideas that *I* want to try; we'll see what my toddler thinks of it in a year.
Erika May
Gretchen
Jan 08, 2018
Carrie S
Feb 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful ideas for bringing nature into our children's lives.
Jaime